Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

i've realized that my weekly caloric intake is probably a few hundred (if not well over 1,000) calories below what it should be given the amount of riding i do. usually this is because i buy a lot of food, eat it all in less time than i expected, and then just sit around my house with little/nothing to eat, often going to sleep without having eaten dinner (and i usually don't take lunch at work, and breakfast is often scarce).
    the only times i really make an effort to eat a lot and correctly is before/during/after races. (my dumbed-down method:) carbs before, sugar during, protein after. that's not to say i don't eat healthily during the week (i could use more fruits and vegetables) i just don't eat as much as i should since food prices can add up pretty fast.

so how do i eat a lot, and healthy, for cheap?
    do i just buy 20lbs sacks of rice and potatoes and find various ways to eat them so i don't get bored? where would protein come in to this? do i find a costco somewhere and buy in bulk from there?
    haymarket for nonorganic produce
    beans & rice for complete protein or quinoaYO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    •  
      CommentAuthorTomai
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2008

peanutbutter, oatmeal, and hummus. it sticks to yer ribs and is delicious
    • CommentAuthorboundgear

live witha buncha bike nerds who all need massive amounts of calories and make sure each other are eating?

Oatmeal and a fried egg for breakfast.
    Three scrambled eggs, fried diced tofu and rice as a snack.
    Add a quarter cup of olive oil to everything you eat?
    Wheat supposedly makes your blood more toxic for recovery by making it too acidic to build new muscles.
    Got nothin beyond that.

basically: raise chickens and eat their eggs.

Or duck eggs. They have more fat.
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown

Buy a rice cooker.
    Buy brown rice in bulk.
    Lots of rice cookers have built in steamer baskets.
    Buy frozen vegetables and cans of beans.
    That's how I survived grad school.e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    i agree with peanut butter, very healthy and provides lots of energy. besides everything that's been said, carrots, celery, lots of spinach, whole wheat bread (for fiber), whole wheat pasta (for complex carbs), chicken if you eat meat.

you can keep it creative by basically not being afraid to mix and match whatever you have at the moment. pasta is great for this. don't want to have just chicken with pasta? throw some onions in, mustard, eggs, chopped spinach, hell even a splash of beer. all in good taste and within common sense of course. but you'd be surprised at all the tasteful combination that you may discover by mixing ingredients you never would have thought of mixing.

rice is also good for this. and forget the rice cooker, do it old school. 1 cup rice, 1 tablespoon oil, 1 1/4 cup water, stir, bring to a boil, cover tightly, and bring down to a simmer for half an hour. also, throw anything in there that you like... onions, garlic, peppers, sausage, corn, herbs, whatever!
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown

Get the rice cooker.
    The things are fucking idiot proof.
    Necessary for a dude's kitchen.e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    hahaha yeah i guess so, saves time too.
    •  
      CommentAuthordirty bird
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2008

this dude happens to have access to an overstocked middle aged female's kitchen, XL rice cooker included, and she suggests maybe cashew fried brown rice with a shitload of coconut milk, chicken or tofu, beans, and maybe a vegetable or some curry tossed in to make it less bland. that ought to be enough calories to kill a small child. i think the issue is really maybe more that these things involve a lot more time in preparation than fried sausage/turkey sandwiches, no? a-hem.
    • CommentAuthorcindierock

trader joe's & haymarket are the cheapest places i have found for food that is relatively healthy
    • CommentAuthorbluedog

cayenne, curry powder, garlic, and black pepper are excellent ways to make anything taste delicious.

I make rice and beans with ground meat of choice, fried bananas and the above spices and it's delicious. One normal sized rice cooker of rice, two cans of black beans, four bananas and two pounds of meat gets me 8ish meals. Ground meat is the most expensive part, you can substitute eggs with great success. I don't remember how much the bag of rice cost, but the rest of the ingredients total maybe $15 with the ground meat (I had all the spices on hand). It works out to about $2-3 a meal.that's when I reach for my revovler...
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

go to the store and get yourself one of them HUGE bags of rice. one cup of rice per two cups of water, dump them into a pot. Now what you put on top is up to you, I go with sweet potatoes, squash (take the skin off first), spinach, any green veggy, beans whatever. Just dump the whole thing in with the cup of rice and two cups of water. Turn on the heat till it starts to boil, then turn the heat down low cover and let sit till the rice is done (like 40 minutes). DONT STIR IT. Just pick a little rice up with a spoon and see if it is soft. Whatever you put on top will steam with the rice and be ready to eat when the rice is.

I suggest you put soy sauce and some pepper on top.

MMMMMM and super cheap.this wont hurt a bit...
    yeah time and money are the 2 things i don't have. i need very simple meals full of carbs/protein for cheap.
    most of what i eat now is plain bread (and cereal) and meat, but i go through that very quickly and it adds up. admittedly i don't keep up on eating fruits and vegetables as much as i should.

with me it's a matter of battling sheer apathy and lethargy. i tend to get home from work, shower, check my e-mail, stare at a wall for an hour and think, then go to sleep usually without dinner. on a regular day i probably consume about 1,000 calories; the only time i consume way more is pre- and post-race
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

if you don't have the time, or energy, or motivation to dump some shit in a pot and push a button...I am not sure we can help you out. You are going to have to make an effort, you might even find that your energy increases with the proper caloric and vitamin intake thus giving you thing power you need to continue to feed yourself efficiently.this wont hurt a bit...
    • CommentAuthorcindierock

stilgar:if you don't have the time, or energy, or motivation to dump some shit in a pot and push a button...I am not sure we can help you out. You are going to have to make an effort, you might even find that your energy increases with the proper caloric and vitamin intake thus giving you thing power you need to continue to feed yourself efficiently.

+1
    Pasta pasta pasta pasta pasta pasta say it with me gary, pasta. Also EGGS.

I also don't cook well but I can at least heat up water and throw pasta in there which is cheap, and heat up a whole can of spaghetti sauce (also cheap) and then have at least two meals made up.

My current meal load today was:

Morning:

Banana, Cereal, 2 eggs.

Pre ride:
    Carbo gain + Protein powder + a little over a cup of milk.

Ride food:

Hammer Gel, some cliff protein plus bar, accelerade, water.

Post ride:

Protein Powder, carbogain + Orange Juice.

Another banana, 3 tofu hotdogs + buns, another bowl of cereal, small amount of whatever milk I had left. Add in a sandwich (ham, two slices of swiss, and a bun or bagel (More carbs than regular sliced bread) bread) and I'm done for the day.

I probably could eat even better than this but it's not BAD.But the fact of the matter is: Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world!
    •  
      CommentAuthorggreggg

apples constantly for everything. seasonal, delicious. no coffee, apple in the morning- obv. stir fry/anything with a bed of rice always key
    i'm using peanut butter and avocados to bulk up for the winter. bulk oats are cheap, i eat too much bread, how do i know this? because i have had 3 gluten focaccia related strokes in the past 12 months. you know where you raw dog a bagel and try and burp before you get a drink?

wfm knowledge: butternut squash 39 (why don't computers have a button for the cent sign?)s / lb for maybe another weekenjoy two cosmetics
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2008 edited

mrotown:Buy brown rice in bulk.

people only digest only around 85% of brown rice, and around 97% of white rice. there is more protein in brown rice, but you actually digest more nutrients when eating white.

eat lots of polenta. it's pretty good fried and baked, and goes quite well with tomatoes. also make sure to eat as many leafy greens as possible, one interesting way to have just romaine lettuce is to ball it up in tin foil, put in on a fire for a couple minutes and then add olive oil, salt, and pepper... fucking amazing and a great appetizer! also eat lots of kim chi, lots of vitamins.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby

also a great breakfast is a mango, banana, pineapple, strawberry (not quite as important) smoothie with orange juice. add some protein powder and you got your self a 500-600 calorie drink to go with your bowl of raisin bran.

i used to have the best 4,000 calorie a day diet...
    TVP (textured vegetable protein) is awesomely cheap and filling. Low in calories and tons of protein.
    • CommentAuthorGrim Ryan
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2008

Fish has lots of quality protein and fatty acids.Duffman Can't Breathe
    kilgore_trout:Eating Healthy, and a lot, for Cheap

have a girlfriend or two. shit, i woke up this morning, and there's a steak and cheese on my bedroom floor waiting for me in my doggy bowl.
    • CommentAuthorjohn89
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2016

You can follow a good diet chart.
    • CommentAuthorjohn89
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2016

Healthy food can be expensive.
    Therefore, it can be difficult to eat well when you’re on a tight budget.
    However, there are many ways to save money and still eat whole, single-ingredient foods.
    Plan Your Meals
    When it comes to saving money at the grocery store, planning is essential.Use one day each week to plan your meals for the upcoming week. Then, make a grocery list of what you need.Also, make sure to scan your fridge and cabinets to see what you already have. There are usually a lot of foods hidden in the back that can be used.
    Only plan to purchase what you know you’re going to use, so that you don’t end up throwing away a lot of what you buy.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2016

Every time I read john89's posts, I feel like we're in a Turing Test.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorkossmonaut
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2016

i think i found a video of him
    https://youtu.be/mT3vfSQePcs