Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorbuddymike
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2015

Zip ties. It takes SECONDS to put grips on.
    http://bmx.transworld.net/features/everything-you-need-to-know-about-putting-grips-on-a-bike/
    awesome, zip ties are the bestDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorbuddymike
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2015

I have tried hair spray in my teens for grips. Otherwise, I have just muscled them on, but you wear the grips down a bit doing that
    Aquanet, FTW. I've always used hairspray.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    You just have hairspray bc you are a secret drag queen.YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2015

Now I remember why I haven't bought pants marketed to women in years. I just picked up some from garment district, and the pockets are 2" deep and the waist is huge (to get it to fit my cycling legs). I should really learn how to sew my own clothes."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    I bought a car to visit my parents more frequently / see friends out-of-state and it turned out to have a blown head gasket. got about 2 weeks out of the thing before things got real bad..

fwiw it was a cheap econobox white bimmer / i was going to go full cyclist robin hood with that POS.gotta go fast
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2015 edited

^ Massachusetts Lemon Law
    "The Used Vehicle Warranty Law protects consumers who buy used vehicles from a dealer or private party in Massachusetts. ( M.G.L. c. 90 §7N 1/4) The law requires dealers to provide consumers with a written warranty against defects that impair the vehicle's use or safety, and requires private parties to disclose any known use or safety defects."

Start working on this RIGHT AWAY -- if you bought it from a private party and it's at all obvious that the seller should have known about the head gasket, you have 30 days from the date of sale to cancel the sale, less 15 cents per mile of use, regardless of how many miles are on it. If they argue with you, I have no idea how difficult the burden of proof would be for you to show that they should have known about it, but it's worth a shot. If you bought it from a dealer (defined as anyone who sells 4 or more vehicles in a year), the burden falls on THEM to fix it REGARDLESS of whether they should have known about it, but only if you bought it with less than 125K miles on it.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    ^Yeah, I would give them a ring-a-ling. You'd be surprised how many people are agreeable about this sort of stuff.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    no such luck for me, unfortunately - was a private seller, got it a little over a month ago (the problems only started to reveal themselves)

or rather, a sleazeball family operation posing as private sellers:
    http://www.eurodesignmk.com/

they already have 1/5 star ratings everywhere, i just wish i found this out beforehand.

sadder but wiser, i guess.gotta go fast
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2015

Hmm, based on that web page it sure as hell looks like they're a *dealer*. If they sell 4 or more automobiles per year, they count as a dealer rather than a private seller, and then you have 2 months if it had less than 80K miles on it.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2015 edited

And if not, you could always get the service manual and attempt to replace the head gasket yourself for like $50 worth of parts and tools you can rent. I suspect there are a few folks on this forum that may already have some of the needed tools and might even be psyched to help you tear it apart and put it back together over the course of a couple of nice spring days if beer and pizza were provided. (I'd volunteer, but I'm not gonna be back in Boston for any significant length of time anytime soon.) If the alternative is junking the car, what do you have to lose other than your sanity?::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    I've replaced a headgasket on an old bimmer before.. I don't know how mechanically adept you are, or what bimmer this is specifically, but it wasn't terribly difficult. I did have access to an indoor garage space though.
    ^ It's definitely an option i've mulled over, but the most i've ever done is an engine swap on a single-cylinder motorbike. No garage space though, unfortunately. It's a 1996 e36 318ti hatchback.

^^ thanks pocky, really helping me look on the bright side of things. if all else fails I guess I wouldn't mind another little project.gotta go fast
    Definitely make very sure that the headgasket is the problem before taking anything apart though
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2015

TIH planning on going for a ride this morning to find my brakes all sorts of fucked. Springs outta whack, tension screw stripped. My spare rim not compatible. My other bike's front tire (with less than 500 m) has a sidewall hole. So much for a nice morning in Concord -- now i'm just aggravated and covered in grease :O !
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2015

Sounds like you need more backup bikes."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Yup, definitely need more bikesi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    TIH: I was mean to a pedestrian who I probably didn't need to be mean to.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2015

I told a bro dude walking against the light with a bad sense of timing to run, instead of slowing down. I know I don't need to, but I kind of feel bad."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2015

See! Aggression gets the best of everyone sometimes. Not apologizing for psychopaths that try to choke you or run you over, but Boston roads are crazy."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    Well, presumably Andy and I didn't try to run them over after we yelled at them.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2015

dude you should have they sound like assholes
    •  
      CommentAuthordora
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2015

Nandy:Sounds like you need more backup bikes.
    tinyhonkshus:Yup, definitely need more bikes

i love this

Nandy:I told a bro dude walking against the light with a bad sense of timing to run, instead of slowing down. I know I don't need to, but I kind of feel bad.

omg i think this all the time! i'm like, 'bro if you ran your ass woulda been on the sidewalk by now'. ALL THE TIME

TIH i just touched logan's crusty butt by accident. go get your wet wipesMust be awful, being so fluffy.
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2015 edited

Statie admits he doesn't give a fuck about bikers or their safety

filmed on the Longfellow bridge (not by me)I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2015 edited

At that same MGH construction roundabout, I watched a woman turn the wrong way up into the storrow exit as some peds were waving her away.
    The pig sitting in his car (same location as the video) at the intersection looked up at the commotion, then looked right back down at his phone. To protect and serve.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2015

^^ Based on comments in the video, it looks like this may very well end up on Channel 5 news.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

I think part of what we're seeing is the indifference caused by the crazy jurisdictional quilt we have in Boston. The Statie is saying, more or less: "The bike lanes aren't our responsibility so we don't care about them." Of course, he's clearly misunderstanding where his buddy is parked (on bike lane on the bridge itself, which would be state trooper territory I'm guessing).Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorbuddymike

The Longfellow Bridge is a DCR roadway which falls under state police, not local. This video did end up on the news tonight.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2015

Sounds like a snippet of it was on the morning news.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

There was one time I saw one on the Cambridge side tell a bike lane blocking livery to gtfo. It's really a toss up whether the one you talk to is a decent person or not, but it's usually not."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

Yup, it's on the news: http://www.wcvb.com/news/msp-trooper-says-he-doesnt-care-cruiser-is-blocking-lane-in-video/32412492::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    we had a good news day at work yesterday so it became Party Day at like 1pm and went until midnight. So I didn't really eat lunch or dinner. And you wouldn't think that 4 beers over 10 hours was "too much", but I have a terrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrible hangover. It was the second-worst of my life when I woke up, but now that I have barfed thrice at work, I'm promoting it to #1. I'm seriously starting to wonder if I like, ALSO have food poisoning. Is terrible.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    ^bummer. Feel better. :(clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

barfing at work is the worst! too bad hair of dog isn't a possibility."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    thanks for the sympathy duders! I'm starting to be able to keep clear liquids down, and have been eating some cheez-its which are mood improving.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

tell us what you've learned?"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

making it through work or something while very hungover is a great challenge that you feel good about after
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler

^good enough to celebrate with a tall frothy beer
    tyler:^good enough to celebrate with a tall frothy warm beer PBR
    clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    • CommentAuthorben

EPIC! Stratton:
    tyler:^good enough to celebrate with a tall frothy warm beer PBR
    I'm not even hungover and that makes me feel sick.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

for this week only, i have a normal weekend (usually work tues-sat), and i'm supposed to go visit friends in denver. made it as far as the edge of town, highway's fucking closed. snow's not even sticking to the ground. suck it forever, wyoming
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2015

I decided last weekend that it was a good idea to go from not having done a ride over 25 miles in 5.5 months to doing 45 miles saturday and 55 sunday. Caused a stress-injury to my knee that I didn't take care of last week, and now it's clear that I need to stay off the bike entirely - including commuting.

I'm hoping that resting it and taking the T to work all week will allow it to heal, but if not I'm going to have to go see a doctor about it.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

^sorry to hear that. were you riding gatorskins? that may have been the problem.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbuddymike

I got a summons at work today for a DUI call I did over the winter. As soon as I saw the name on the summons I knew exactly who it was and the call. It isn't so much going to court as much as this dude has to break the law and drive drunk, crash and fucking inconvenience me by fighting it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2015 edited

I'm currently trying to walk my mom in Wisconsin through getting a comfy Dutch bike. I'm steering her towards Lunus because they come in a 26" wheel size, look great, and come with all the necessary things like fenders and a rack. She's 5'1. I sent her to a local Linus dealer, but they only have mediums. They are trying to steer her to Giant "Liv" garbage, and the sales guy says "smaller wheels are harder to pedal".

and I was hoping it'd be a good shop because the owner used to work at Seven! He used to live in Somerville and asked what square I live in! Just let my mom test ride some goddamn bikes or order the correct size! Jesus fucking christ. SMALL WHEELS ARE HARDER TO PEDAL?!

Side note: check out the Liv site, it's disgusting."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2015

^ But...
    rock dathe:LARGE WHEEL IS FASTER
    THE UCI INTERFERES
    BALLS CAUGHT IN TIRE

I will never stop laughing at this.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthortinyhonkshus
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2015 edited

I share your rage, Andy! I got warned that "small wheels are slower" and all this shit when I was a relative noob, and it's like SOME PEOPLE ARE FUCKING SHORT, DON'T TELL THEM THE ONLY WHEELS THEY CAN RIDE ARE BAD. It's like telling someone who can't walk that wheelchairs roll slow. BLERGH.

This also reminds me that the other day I was in a bike shop and I was like "I'd like to see a model with X feature" and the salesperson was like "I have to go check if they make one with X feature" and it was like I JUST FUCKING TOLD YOU THEY DID, DOES ANYONE EVER FUCKING LISTEN TO ME WHEN I TALK?! Instead I was just like "they do, I know" and he was like "okay, I don't know if they make those, but I'll check" I would have taken my business elsewhere but I got helpful help during my previous visit and figured buying where I had shopped was the right thing to do.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2015

Next time you just need to wear these (probably NSFW).::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2015

"Oh, you don't like your current shitty hybrid with unnecessary suspension and no rack or fenders and you know the exact model of the Dutch style city bike you want instead and that we have in stock, but not in your size? Here, buy this thing:

"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries