Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2015

Today I fucking hate that I hurt my knee coming up on 5 weeks ago through what I assume is an overuse injury, and it's still causing me issues. I had grand plans for this season to be one where I devoted myself full-time to cycling, and now I can hardly fucking commute by bike.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2015 edited

I'm pretty sure it's just that I really personally suck, but fuck pedicabbing. This has been such a waste.

Also a whole lot of,
    "This trike has glaringly obvious mechanical problems"
    "Pfft, they're ALL like that, rookie."
    "...so super easy things like shifting never gets fixed?"

"The hydraulic doesn't work on he first squeeze and the second locks the wheels immediately."
    "Pfft, they're all like that, rookie"
    "I mean, there is no modulation at all. It'd be a real shitty ride for any customer and it seems really unsafe."
    "Ooh, modulation. That's a big word. Oh wait, that's trike #x? Yeah, I meant to fix that one today."

Fuck y'all. I've been riding trikes longer than most of you (over 2.5 years, including winters!). How about giving people advice on how to get rides so new pedicabbers don't get pissed and quit after 3 days (other than telling me to smile)? I've wasted my whole day so far and I still owe them money.

Sorry if there's any pedicabbers on here, like I said it's probably that I just suck. At least the managers are all nice."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2015

Two (2) rides in seven (7) hours?! FUCK YOU, TOURISTS."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2015 edited

Net $0 for 8 hours of work in the middle of June. Guess I'll go back to hoping for overtime. Fuck, I can't wait to get out of here."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2015

Andy, you should get a gig piloting the Buffalo party bike.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Aww yeah. I'm thinking I might buy my own cab in Buffalo and do events.

And I take that back about the manager thing. Texted me asking if I had a shift I clearly don't (they made the damn schedule) and said I'd have to "pay out". Yeah, I'll get right on that, pedicab. What, are you going to not give me anymore shifts? Wahhhb go f yourself pedicab."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2015 edited

Is it possible to be born in the #wrongskin?

If even one of these is real, I hate people.

And tumblr.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    That lady is the scum of the earth. She's literally making money off of other peoples' suffering.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

Is she really, though? So, she identifies as a different race. Is it that weird? How is this all that different from transgender people? She had black siblings growing up.

I'm genuinely curious how, if we give her the benefit of the doubt and say that she REALLY, psychologically identifies as a different race, how is this so wrong?::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    I have to admit that I'm doubtful she's making money off it, but to answer Dan's question, check out the racheldolezal hashtag to see some opinions (and some crazy shit, but obvs). Also: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/12/rachel-dolezal-caitlyn-jenner_n_7569160.html?1434138166

also also I think there are some allegations of wrongdoings beyond pretending to be black, but I haven't really followed it

What I'm getting is sort of a "maybe in a vacuum, but the world is not a vacuum" takei mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2015 edited

The really gross part is all the people saying "if transgender people actually exist, then this must be the same thing" in a mocking, dismissive way to make the point they don't think transgender people exist. Also, these are not comparable concepts but I'm not eloquent enough to write it and I'm just generally depressed today :c I'm sure there's plenty of pieces out there by now detailing it. Really though, read that one Tiny put up (here)

What I hate today is all the roommates having guests over and filling up the kitchen all morning, so I ate a bag of candy for breakfast. Then I rode to the shop and found enough aggressive, negligent, shitbag asshole drivers in the 2.5 mile roundtrip to make me want to lock myself in my room with Kitty all day and be all sad."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2015

Well, I for one think that the Huffington Post article is 100% self-important detritus. My bullshit alarm went off as soon as I read this statement: "But let's make one thing clear: transracial identity is not a thing." I'm so glad to know that HuffPost writer Zeba Blay gets to decide what is and what is not "a thing".

One of the best arguments I've read in all of this is that race is almost purely a societal construct (we're all "mutts"), and so in that regard, it really is much less of a stretch for a person to identify with a different race than the one society has assigned to them than with a different gender than the one that biology has assigned to them. If you agree that transgender identity is "a thing" then you MUST, in order to avoid being a hypocrite, agree that transracial identity certainly *could* be a thing. I am not a psychologist, so I have no choice but to give someone who identifies as another race (just as I do for someone who identifies as another gender) the benefit of the doubt.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

"Dolezal could have gone to Howard, taught African studies, and been a member of the NAACP without actively trying to imply through self-tanner and curly wigs that she was black. (The NAACP's statement, released this afternoon declaring that "one’s racial identity is not a qualifying criteria or disqualifying standard for NAACP leadership," backs this assertion up.)

If Dolezal had lived her life as a visibly white ally, it would have been a powerful statement. Instead, she chose to actively lie about her identity, betraying the trust she had built within black activist spaces."

I don't think these are comparable concepts. I don't really see anything wrong with immersing yourself in a culture and dressing however you want, but the part about lying about your parents/heritage while occupying positions of leadership in that community seems like a slight problem.

As for gender, I'm not much for gender constraints at all, but my dad was a closeted transwoman for almost the entire time I knew her. In her case the whole, "over-trying to present dudely to avoid suspicion" made her seem awkward and angry. I didn't talk much to "John". No one liked John. "John" couldn't hold onto a job or find any friends, and was pushed away by most of his family. John had a sad, miserable life. Then, about a year and a half ago, my dad told me she goes by "Chelsea" and was spending a lot of time with friends and had a good side business making jewelry. She went for a job interview as herself - happy and confident instead of angry and nervous - and got it. She came to my wedding in a funny casual shirt because that was the sort of "coming out" in front of the family, then came to the breakfast in a beautiful dress. I had never seen her so happy, it was great. A month later she was going around showing friends her new official ID, and died of a stroke at a party. We went to the funeral and met a lot of those friends. Turned out that underneath miserable "John", Chelsea was an enormously generous social butterfly and brought her whole community together - always smiling and dancing. So, any attempt to delegitimize transgender people hits pretty close to home for me. Race and gender are very different concepts.

It's a long story, but hopefully that makes a bit of sense. People don't get trapped in the wrong race, unable to express themselves. There is a history of black people passing as white as a survival strategy, but that is very different from this story. In conclusion, humans suck in general, and it's just shitty to be mean to people on a gender presentation basis (as it is on a race basis, but again, these are incomparable social constructs)."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Some people are all "Ooh if Caitlyn Jenner can "lie" (IMO) about being a woman, this person should be able to "lie" about being black! GOTCHA! LOL"

"Pretend" is also a word some people use.

If anyone here thinks like that, don't fucking tell me about it. You're an idiot."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

That story about your dad is amazing and wonderful. Thank you for sharing it.

Nandythe part about lying about your parents/heritage while occupying positions of leadership in that community seems like a slight problem.

Agreed.

Instead, she chose to actively lie about her identity

Disagree. She actively lied about her heritage, sure. As I am not her psychologist, I am not one to say what her *identity* is.

There are obviously some deeply significant psychological things going on with this woman. The fact that she adopted her black sibling, and that she and her siblings seem to have such a messed up relationship with their estranged family, will surely continue to flesh out more of our understanding as time goes on.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

I think paying someone to fake being your dad shows a level of deceitful intent entirely absent in being trans.

Nandy, that's great and sad at the same time - I'm sorry you didn't get to spend more time with your dad as Chelsea.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Yeah Pocky, I sort of agree with that last part (that sentence was from the article), but it also said that she has never publicly stated how she identifies. It's basically all speculation and what her parents said, though there was that part about claiming an unrelated black man was her father. It's all a weird story."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

and thanks, all. It's a super sad story (it was also a week from her birthday), but hopefully a little inspiring. It's hard not to think that if society were a little less transphobic I could have basically had an awesome parent for many more years than I did. The extra sad part was one of the last people she was holding out to tell was my grandfather. She was pretty much the only sibling out of 7 that spent any time with him, and he passed about a month later. It's been a long fucking year."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Wow that story is beautiful and heartbreaking, but it's wonderful she got to have at least some time to live openly as herself.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2015 edited

So I posted that link not because of Rachel Dolezal directly (I think she's a liar and a fraud and a creep and could have been an effective ally without being any of those things and disrespecting the people that came to trust her).

I posted it because I think the idea of #wrongskin is bullshit. As people already mentioned, race is largely a societal construct. And as such, your skin color is not a community or an identity. You can identify with a culture that is associated with a given race, but that doesn't mean everyone of that race is part of that culture nor that you identifying with that culture means you are or are meant to be that race. Eminem isn't #wrongskin because he identifies with a predominantly black culture. My Chinese friend adopted and raised by white parents in New England isn't #wrongskin because she identifies with a predominantly white culture.

It's disingenuous, and I'll even go so far as to say racist, to say that identifying - however strongly - with a certain culture means you should have been born with the physical characteristics portrayed by the majority of the people who are a part of that culture.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    Ben, I agree with you in part but there's definitely areas where this shit can get hairy.

There's a very fine line between identifying with a certain culture and being a member of that community and cultural appropriation.and then the time will come when you add up the numbers
    •  
      CommentAuthortinyhonkshus
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2015 edited

Ben, that was a very good summary of what I've been feeling but unable to articulate.

anyway, TIH: I'm putting together my end-of-internship-summary poster, and it's really upsetting me because I basically did nothing in five months. My work that was supposed to be highly computational (as I understood when I applied) ended up being basically exactly what you would expect any grad student with zero computational training to be doing on their own damn data. In like 2 weeks. And so now I'm gonna have to stand up and tell the CSO that "um, yeah, I just did a bunch of t-tests" and I want to cry.

edit: and of course the thing where I did a six month internship and haven't gotten experience in any of the things you need to know to get hired. also non-great.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2015

Ben, your statement makes sense ONLY if we pre-judge everyone who identifies as being "in the wrong skin" as someone who merely identifies with a culture, with no regard to body identification. What we are talking about here is physical identity, not just cultural identity. You are making the same mistake as people who equate homosexuality with transvestitism with transexualism. I am not an expert on any of these things, so I have to allow that there could certainly be cases where someone has a real psychological need to express a different racial appearance. Whether this is the case for Rachel Dolezal, we can't be certain, but there is definitely a lot of weird stuff going on there that seems to indicate that the rabbit hole goes pretty deep.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2015

•  
      CommentAuthortinyhonkshus
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2015 edited

Traffic in the BU rotary has doubled since February, and they haven't even done construction there. CLEARLY making it less appealing to cycle will solve our car congestion problems! Also, do people not understand how traffic lights work? It doesn't matter if you can go 80mph down Western, you still have to wait to cross Mem Drive. And finally, fuck you, dumbfuck, EVERYONE NEEDS TO SHARE RIVER CROSSINGS, THERE AREN'T ENOUGH TO MAKE THEM CARS ONLY.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2015 edited

I finally got the circle a built up, with a gazillion dollars worth of parts, and I don't like it. I wasn't forceful enough in the design process, and they made me a stretched out fucking fixed gear road bike, which was not at all what I wanted and now I'm just spending my New Bike Day crying about how stupid I am. I knew it was going to get fucked up with the last "oh I tweaked the design again to fix the toe overlap". There was no fucking toe overlap with the first design, now it's just a stretched out fucking comfy bike because I guess I just look like a dumb girl and I probably don't know what's good for me. I HAVE SO MANY ROAD BIKES NOW, and I am never going to have a fun tight track bike, like all you average sized people get to have fun on.

AND I lost my favorite hat on the way to pick it up."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    I cried on new bike day with my ANT, for basically the exact same reason. That sucks :( :( :(

I suspect if you wanted a Redline 925 you'd have gotten one by now, but if you're interested, I'm thinking of selling mine. 44cm c-c, fits more like a 47, standover about 28in, 700C wheels. It's not that "tight" though, I don't think.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2015

It's alright, just not what I wanted. I'm more ashamed of how much money I sank into this thing. Now I'm all "well, I put the last change in my pocket into the bank so I could pay rent and I can only eat whatever's in the back of the pantry for a week, because I bought $400 cranks like a fucking tool". If anyone wants to give me like 4k for a 47x50cm I could really use that cash. I HAVE SO MANY DAMN ROAD BIKES NOW. Guess I better learn to weld if I want what I'm looking for :c"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

Isn't there some sort of deal when you commission a custom frame that you're going to be happy with it or they'll buy it back (at a loss to themselves, or at worst with some sort of prorated loss to you) and make you another one? Especially when you say "I wanted this design which we talked about at the beginning, but you made me something else and I trusted that you knew what you were doing, but clearly you didn't. Make me what I asked for."

I know this doesn't help with the bazillion dollars of parts that you bought, but you can use those on the future correctly-made bike.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Nah, the shop is closed and gone, and it's more like a "you're the expert on geometry, take my measurements and design me a bike" but then they assume they know more about what you want than you do. I should have been more demanding when they gave me the numbers, but I'm a stupid moron."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

If I had given them a complete design and I got something wildly inaccurate, then maybe."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

ALSO A BIRD SHIT ON ME. WHAT AN AWESOME DAY."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorben

Don't beat yourself up over it. The whole idea of the custom bike design is process is that it's collaborative so you can share what you want and prefer and get information and feedback and then a bike from someone who knows more than you. It can be really hard for anyone to find the right balance between being assertive about their needs and desires and being accepting of information or suggestions that are made by someone more experienced or knowledgeable than you are. That you didn't get that balance right isn't a failing on your part, it's just an unfortunate way that the process worked out on this project.

I know that doesn't help make the bike fit or be what you want or get you the money back on parts, but it pains me to see you hating on yourself so hard about it.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Well, but Andy's also talking about the very real gender discrimination that exists in the bike world. She asked for something quite specific based on her needs/skills and they assumed she wanted something different based on their *perceptions* of what she needed. She basically paid thousands of dollars to have her abilities underestimated and demeaned. I'd feel shitty about it too.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

This is a bike I basically have 3 or 4 copies of already, and it's my fault for not studying geometry enough and getting my own CAD program and giving a builder precise dimensions, because any reasonable builder is going to be all "well, they're too dumb to give me exact numbers, they probably want a comfy bike and I'll double the toe measurement so there's zero chance of overlap even with comically large clips". They were nice, but I find that people in general don't listen to short women and assume we're dumb. So I have to completely master bike geometry theory and not take any compromise or get really good at welding and set up my own shop, while average sized people can just get any fucking track bike on the internet."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

For real though, if anyone sees one of those new B2C2 caps that say "BOSTON" on the brim around Union sq, I really want it back. It was my favorite :c"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    I fractured my scaphoid and radius in my left arm and i have to wear a cast for 8-12 weeks and i just want to ride my damn bikeYO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    • CommentAuthorThreePete
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2015

banana truffles:I fractured my scaphoid and radius in my left arm and i have to wear a cast for 8-12 weeks and i just want to ride my damn bike

Hot damn! What happened? Did I miss the story somewhere else on the forum.
    banana truffles:I fractured my scaphoid and radius in my left arm and i have to wear a cast for 8-12 weeks and i just want to ride my damn bike

NOOOOOOOoooooooooo! So no CX?clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Mountain biking?Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

Flipping people off.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    There is no good story. I took a tumble on a dry, loose, steep, turney area. Thankfully I was wearing a full face, leatt and all the other gear, otherwise the sliding down the hil on my face would have been much worse. I was DH mtbing.YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    So if anyone wants to buy a DH mtb, I have one for sale. Bike is fine, btw.YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Have you considered riding a unicycle while your arm heals?"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Also, that really sucks and I hope you feel better soon."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Thanks Nandy <3YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

Sorry to hear that Ella :(We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    banana truffles:...Bike is fine, btw.

It's good we all know what's really important.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    TIH forgetting to lock your quick-release saddle. Goodbye, Brooks Flyer. Our time was short but sweet. Whoever stole it even took my fucking valve caps.
    • CommentAuthorThreePete
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2015

holy shit, what kinda valve caps did you have ? and p.s. where were you parked?