Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2015

along a semi-similar vein... coworker who admittedly did have a really rough sounding childhood insisting that because he had a tough life there's no such thing as white privilege

aaand from a friend of a friend on fb: "Btw, there is no "white" culture, its called civilization."
    I know several smart, feeling people who struggled with the idea of white privilege because of their own difficult backgrounds (and then ultimately came around), so I have sympathy for people in that position.

But DANG that second one.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2015

Give them this: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/gina-crosleycorcoran/explaining-white-privilege-to-a-broke-white-person_b_5269255.htmlWe'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2015

i've considered looking up something like that, but i don't think it'd go over well/be accepted and, while he's fine as a coworker generally, he's an angry dude prone to ranting, and i don't want to set it off...
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2015

I've been bedridden sick since Monday morning. Too drained to read anything of import, too unfocused to have a coherent conversation, too weak to leave the apartment, too addicted to not have a couple of cigarettes- which of course makes it hurt more. Now I have to drag myself out to bumfuck Somerville to see the doc because work needs a note since I've been gone for three days. Times like this, I'm really glad I have a car. Fuck this shit. Fuck all of this shit.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    • CommentAuthorben

Sorry to hear that, Joe. Sounds like the Devil's Buttcrack cold to me.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

The worst, feel better brah! Hope it wasn't the apple crisp we sent you home with."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

I should have never gone into that buttcrack. Too many kids went in there before me with their germs.

The apple crisp was delicious and life giving.

I probably caught it either from one of the kids on the outreach van or from touching rocks that the snot factories at Purgatory Chasm touched.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

I am medicating with drugs and heavy metal. Ministry's Psalm 69 is in the deck. Next up: Megadeth or Mastodon.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    I highly recommend Mastodon's new album Once More 'Round the Sun. It is very good.

Also Joe, King Diamond is playing the Orpheum the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. If you're interested.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    Dang I didn't know Mastodon had a new album out, what's wrong with me.

Hope you start feeling better soon Joe.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2015 edited

Thanks, guys.

I don't know King Diamond at all, but I will check them out. I'm probably reserving my ticket $ to go see Angle Haze, Neil Hamburger, and Dana Gould (three separate shows)...We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    King Diamond is also the lead singer for Mercyful Fate, for which he may be slightly better known (I knew of Mercyful Fate but not of King Diamond until this year)

Mercyful Fate, of course

This tour he's performing the entirity of "Abigail" in concert which is pretty rad

He's touring with Exodus, which is pretty thrashy.
    Tempo of the DamnedNaaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    King Diamond is the shitDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorvox_pop
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2015

Whoever fucking stole my lights off my bike tonight. I threw way too much money at getting a good front light to be seen and actually see where I'm going this winter, and the first time I forget it on my bike for a few hours on a Monday night on Brentwood St of all places, someone nabs it. Then they had the audacity to steal my fuckin Superflash too. Like come on, that's not worth anything to you, that's just malicious.

If anyone gets offered a Cygolite Expilion 850 from some Lower Allston prick, please let me know!

Ugh.
    • CommentAuthorThreePete
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2015

TIH the judgemental jerk on his allez who I overtook on his right (w/ plenty of space) @ light by sleepy's on beacon. Who eventually caught up to me taking the left onto st. paul and looked at me with disgust for running red lights...I had to muster a lot of self control to not just say fuck it and ride in front of him super slow and take the long way to work. You had to see the face he made at me guys, :( i am a sad/angry turtle.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Maybe the disgust was for passing on the right? I personally hate that, even if there's plenty of room.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    Sorry he made a face at you, but passing on the right is a douche move, and if it happened in the door zone bike lane that exists there, you didn't give him enough spacei mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    • CommentAuthorThreePete

There were no cars parked by the coldwell banker (beacon x marion) sooooo much rooom. :( guess I'm a douche...
    • CommentAuthorben

I pass on the right all the time. If someone is slow and riding straight, I don't see the issue.

(For the record, I stare down red-light runners too.)I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorThreePete

I usually employ idaho stops, except on stretches of beacon (brookline).

Let's get one thing clear, I don't do either of the above if peds are in the crosswalk. I can see why someone would be upset with me if I were to run through reds and blow by peds. But this was not the case.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2015 edited

I don't remember ever getting stared down for running lights, how much of a wiener do you have to be to do that (assuming the runner is being safe and respecting everyone with the right of way)? I mean, I stare down drivers for doing really stupid reckless shit, but the whole "you're making us all look bad! Pretend to be a car and then everyone will finally be nice to us!" thing can be unreal. Unless someone's in the left turn lane, passing on the right is bad. At least call it out first."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorben

How much of a wiener do you have to be to get annoyed at people passing on the right (assuming the passer is being safe and respecting everyone with the right of way)?I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorThreePete

Consensus: This guy was a wiener.
    ThreePete:There were no cars parked by the coldwell banker (beacon x marion) sooooo much rooom. :( guess I'm a douche...

Ah, I was imagining the next intersection east, fair enough.

I don't like being passed on the right because a) I would prefer to focus on moving objects on one side at a time, and I'm definitely going right without checking if there's an emergency, b) when you pass on the right, you're basically increasing the danger level to the person you're passing instead of to yourself, either because you spook them or they adjust to the left instinctively, c) most people are riding "as far to the right as practicable" aka as far to the right as they believe is safe/comfortable, so when you pass on the right you are decreasing the minimum margin they were okay with. And for the record I've never been right passed in a way that I felt was safe, except maybe on a closed course or while taking a lane.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    • CommentAuthorThreePete

tinyhonkshus:
    ThreePete:There were no cars parked by the coldwell banker (beacon x marion) sooooo much rooom. :( guess I'm a douche...

Ah, I was imagining the next intersection east, fair enough.

I don't like being passed on the right because a) I would prefer to focus on moving objects on one side at a time, and I'm definitely going right without checking if there's an emergency, b) when you pass on the right, you're basically increasing the danger level to the person you're passing instead of to yourself, either because you spook them or they adjust to the left instinctively, c) most people are riding "as far to the right as practicable" aka as far to the right as they believe is safe/comfortable, so when you pass on the right you are decreasing the minimum margin they were okay with. And for the record I've never been right passed in a way that I felt was safe, except maybe on a closed course or while taking a lane.

Shit, this is all very true. I prefer to filter in and out of the 'car' lanes and pass on the left.
    sorry ThreePete I didn't mean to sound like I was beating the dead horse at you, I was mostly addressing ben's remarki mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

I work in a few different public schools now. The spaces they give therapists to use are usually tiny former closets that are sometimes still used as closets. The HVAC is always wacky so its either really hot or really cold and it always smells faintly like farts because there is no circulation and the kids (and I) are farting all day long. It makes me sad that we aren't seen as important enough to be given a real, private work space."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

What Mariana said. Obviously if you're in the left lane, or far to the left in the lane you're in, you should expect people to slip into the gap. I'm sure I come up on the right sometimes, but I would never feel great about it. I certainly would expect a little stare-down. Since that behavior potentially affects the other cyclist's safety, I think you deserve the stink-eye. Whereas running a red in most cases only endangers your own safety.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    • CommentAuthorben

It's fine for people to give me the stink-eye for whatever they want - what do I care how they look at me?

For the record - if I pass on the right, it's only in situations where a) there is a defined bike lane that the person in front of me is in and b) there is now a large gap on the right because there are no parked cars and c) i observe that the person in front of me continues in the bike lane even after this right-side gap opens.

As you said Marianna, lots of people like to ride as far right as possible so many of them do weave in and out of open parking spaces. (Which I think is dangerous itself, but that's a different discussion.) I always make sure they aren't one of those people before passing.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorThreePete

^this is why i passed on the right...
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorThreePete

Nandy, she's not wearing a vaginal sponge...
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

I've probably pulled every stupid move you shouldn't do in a city but I do try to be somewhat predictable when around other bikes. It's not just courtesy. Every second a cyclist is watching me instead of watching the road is a second I'm putting that cyclist in potential danger. If you're not fast enough, or there's not room enough, to pass somebody in the traffic lane (versus the parking lane), you shouldn't be passing in the first place.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

For me it is mostly about courtesy. We cyclists put up with so much hate out there, just calm it down and be nice to people. If you're mad about going their pace for a few seconds, just think about how much longer and more frustrating it would have been to drive or take the bus instead."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorryan t

If there's a person in the let side of the bike lane like the girl in the cartoon, I would normally just pass them on the the far right side of the bike lane without even really moving into the parking space. I had never even really thought twice about this until you guys brought it up, and I guess I probably do it because I don't care if it's being done to me. I know it's narcissistic to expect others to think the same way I do, but even so, I don't pass them very fast, and have never come close to touching handlebars with the other rider.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Do you get doored a lot? We're talking about the same like 3ft bike lanes, right?"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorryan t

Uhhh... No, but I can't remember if I've ever pulled that move with cars that close to the bike lane (like the Odyssey in the cartoon).
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

Passing on the right in the bike lane is a shit move. If you can't chill out and wait for a safe chance to pass a slower vehicle then how are you any better than a car who does the same thing to you? How is it supposed to be okay to pass another cyclist within three feet?

Nuben, I'm sorry you have to smell farts and feel inferior all day.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    • CommentAuthorryan t

I guess I don't understand how passing on the rt causes more problems than passing on the left when given the same amount of space.

edit: about what tinyhonk said, yeah I guess if it's a matter of expectations the biker on the left is already expecting to get passed by moving objects on the left vs the rt side.
    • CommentAuthorThreePete
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2015

yeah tiny brought up valid points on left vs right side passing.

I passed everyone on the left today, no stink eyes...at least from cyclists.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

ryan t: it's a matter of expectations the biker on the left is already expecting to get passed by moving objects on the left vs the rt side.

This. Don't pass me on the right. Shit's dangerous enough out there as it is without having to worry about some dude who thinks he (it's always a he) has more skills than he actually does pulling some unexpected shit in traffic.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    • CommentAuthorryan t

Gotta say, though, if you're adamant that cyclists shouldn't pass each other on the rt, you shouldn't pass cars on the left, or go the other way down a one way st as many of us like to do. Drivers aren't expecting that ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2015 edited

Okay, I know you winkyfaced but I'm going to answer seriously, at the risk of sounding like a humorless douche.
    First, cars do expect to be passed on the left. It's like the first rule of the road.
    Second, the bottom line is that if you're going to salmon down a one way, or break any other rule of the road, you better a) acknowledge that you're the one who has to defer to people following the right of way and b) be really fucking good at it. If you cannot satisfy items a) and b), then you take your fred ass into the bike lane and shut up.
    </rant and come at me bro>We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2015

joeyfresh:
    First, cars do expect to be passed on the left. It's like the first rule of the road.

Not if there's a double yellow line
    • CommentAuthorryan t

I'm sort of hearing from people that if you're a good enough rider to bend the rules around cars it's ok, but it's not ok to bend the rules around other cyclists. Is it because around cars if something goes horribly wrong you're only endangering yourself? I sort of see that although I don't think it's completely true.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2015 edited

Dude, bikes and cars are different things and have different ways of interacting and expectations. Also, you've got at least 3 fucking mirrors in a car you should be glancing at on a constant rotation because you're view and hearing is more obstructed than when you're on a bike, and because you're in a giant fucking machine in a city built for horses and you're trying not to kill lots of people. You're supposed to expect things, especially bikes, to pass you at any time when you're sitting in car traffic in a messy city where bikes lanes are consistently blocked and people need to filter through. I hope you're not one of those drivers who thinks you can't cross a double yellow on an empty road to give cyclists proper passing space. All we're saying is noobs need to learn to ride bikes predictably and safely.

I thought passing bikes on the left in traffic was one of the first rules you learn, after "don't trust anyone on the road"."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorryan t

I've had drivers scream at me for sprinting up the yellow line to get past them. I'll try to respect that bikers don't want to be passed on the rt, but idk... seems like sort of the same principal?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Yellow line is definitely a situational thing, but a lot of roads have multiple lanes you need to use sometimes, like when the far right is way more dangerous (like going down Cambridge st Boston. I've nearly been killed so many times there I almost always use the left lane now). I've met drivers who think bikes shouldn't be allowed to pass any cars ever and cyclists should "respect" drivers by getting off the road entirely.

The point is that cars and bikes are very different things, and you behave differently and expect different things depending on which you're using."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorThreePete

cambridge st. is fucking sketchy.