Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Commuting by car.... it is the worst.

That said, we're saving so many of the dollars, which is awesome.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2015

I was gonna ask how commuting by car saves you money, but then I remembered you're having to commute by car because of how you're saving money.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    ben:I was gonna ask how commuting by car saves you money, but then I remembered you're having to commute by car because of how you're saving money.

yeah, living pretty much rent free is a big help. Also C and I commute together, so that helps (Commuter rail would have been $300 each!).

That said, so much time in the car drives you crazy. Thank goodness for my co-pilot, NPR, and singing dumb songs thanks to Spotify.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Free rent's nice if you can get it (without selling your soul).Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    • CommentAuthorben

Or your body.

(...Unless you're into that (no judgement))I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2015

pretty things is going defunct. nooooooooo!
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2015

Think it has anything to do with this?Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    • CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2015 edited

they were a "project", [nearly] by definition temporary.
    and they didn't have any brewery space of their own, just rented excess capacity from other brewers
    i'm guessing with the increased interest in breweries/hyper local beer extra production space was getting harder/more expensive to find.gone
    Someone tried/did use my debit card tonight. In Madrid. Spain. Erf.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2015

What did they try to buy?"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2015

I know delivery people are stupid overworked, but come on UPS, I was just washing my hands when you rang the bell and by the time I ran to the door seconds later you had already run away. I didn't even hear a truck to chase down :c"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

Never, ever poop on a day when you know UPS is coming.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

BUT IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE HERE TOMORROWWW :c :c :c

I wish there was a way to have them ship it right to the facility for me to pick up, instead of surprising me then letting it bounce around on the truck for the rest of the day while I regret not sitting right behind the door at all times. Such a bummer, I could have spent the day dicking around on my mew mandolin."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    TIH: Job hunting. 7 months of looking, 4 interviews, 3 in the past two weeks, 1 "you don't have the skills", 1 "we don't have anyone else in the pipeline, but we know we don't want you" and one "sure I'll hire you...after several more rounds of interviews go well". Was in night school for three years while working full time to get this degree, lost my apartment and SO in the process. Got 3 more weeks on my contract with no benefits and no PTO.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

Nandy:BUT IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE HERE TOMORROWWW :c :c :c

I wish there was a way to have them ship it right to the facility for me to pick up, instead of surprising me then letting it bounce around on the truck for the rest of the day while I regret not sitting right behind the door at all times. Such a bummer, I could have spent the day dicking around on my mew mandolin.

if you know it's coming/have the tracking number, usually you can select that. they might charge you like $3 though, i forget.

also, yes, fuck job hunting. took me like 6 (9?) months and now i'm in wyoming.
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

Keep your head up, Tiny!

Nandy, sorry your butt cream didn't arrive on time, hope your rash isn't too itchy!"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

No, my butt cream was early, but I missed it and now I have to think about it all day and it sucks! I'm itching to use it.

"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2015

Nandy:No, my butt cream was early, but I missed it and now I have to think about it all day and it sucks! I'm itching to use it.
    I appreciate this joke.

And sorry about your job troubles, Marianna. It's hard not to let shit like that get you down. Hopefully you can use some of your frustration from it as motivation to give everyone a middle finger and land something awesome!I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    I am so burnt out that I've started getting lost in stores when shopping, but if there is a single drop of ambition left in me, it probably IS in the 'fuck you' department. Thanks.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    Im so sorry this is happening Marianna. I hope it gets better soon, it sounds like you are doing all the right things.YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2015

i'm sure i've complained at you before how they don't plow, just sometimes tamp the snow down here, creating a death-surface... was driving at 15mph down my road today, and went to brake further cuz there was a stop sign a block ahead... spun out, crashed (v. lightly) into someone else's car, spent forever and a half dealing with insurance.. FUCK at least sand the roads or something?
    hadn't noticed when i called my insurance that there's also a hole in the grill thingie on my car. not super concerned about looks, am more concerned about the engine filling with snow or something (watched a documentary yesterday about a blizzard out here, keyholes providing enough space for snow to get in and fill barns)
    so grumpyyy
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2015

Why are you living there? Hiding from police?"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2015

heh over the summer while most of the town was being all "go back to texas!" to the turnaround workers at the refinery, one of the turnaround people said everyone around here must be in witness protection, as there's no other reason to be out here. great place, great people.
    i'm here for the work experience. museums in big cities tend to ask for 8-10 years experience in a registrar's office to be assistant registrar (because they want you to waste until you're 50 volunteering), but out here i'm the actual registrar. learning a lot, doing a ton, hoping to make myself employable back on the east coast within the amount of time i can live here without going crazy, but it's iffy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2016 edited

Findings presented by Portland State University at Transportation Research Board conference show that everyone perceives cyclists to be lawbreakers and they don't want to give them protected lanes (whether that's out of a belief that they won't be used, or just purely out of spite, is unclear.)

Been looking for a direct link to paper rather than CityLab's gross oversimplification of it, but can't seem to find one. It will presumably be at http://docs.trb.org at some point but I can only find older papers by those authors there right now.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    After yet another career panel, I've come to believe that I am months-if-not-years away from having a resume/portfolio that will even get read. So I think I have to either get a PhD or change careers again.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    Is there anyone at your school that can provide some career counseling?YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    ha ha, beats me, but I can look into it. good idea.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    Yesterday I saw a guy schluffing his bike down the sidewalk in Union Sq, with a (helmetless) ~3 year old perched on his shoulders.

What the fuck, bro.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorThreePete
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2016

^
    Step one: Don't have children
    Step two: If you fuck up step one, don't put them in danger
    Step three: Don't put yourself in danger, because your mistake @ step 1 will probably miss you...
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2016 edited

Meanwhile, in Amsterdam:

Just sayin'.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

I love any excuse to put this one up."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    hahahaha

i only really brought the lack of helmet into it because, perched on the guy's shoulders, that kid's head was at least 8ft off the groundDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

UNSAFE AT ANY SPEED!Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2016

^^ Haha, one of those Dutch kids has American parents. Can you identify which one?
    I wish this picture was real and not photoshopped...::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2016

Dave Mirra dead at 41 of apparent suicide::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    Had to work late today, which is really more of an annoyance for Mrs. Fries because children, but I finally finished and came out to a flat tire. At least it was easy to find, there was part of a staple sticking out of my tire. I had a spare tube but it's the wrong size, so I took my time and did a good, careful patch job, only to have the valve stem break off in my pump. Fortunately the wrong-size tube was enough to get me home.

So PSA, spring flat season is here already.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    HI EVEAN I MEEEEESSSS YOUYO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    I MISS YOU TOO I'm sorry I failed at convincing you to come to boldsprints.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    oh and also my crank/bb creak/clank came back and I don't know what to do other than start replacing things.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler
    • CommentTimeFeb 29th 2016

Just start going deaf already you old fart.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2016

Goddamn kidney infections and shoddy religiously affiliated ER care. I miss Boston :c

"last time you had this condition you were vomiting and barely conscious within a few hours of these same symptoms, so we're going to take almost 2 hours to confirm the infection and send you away to pick up your own antibiotics even though it's later than most pharmacies are open and you can barely get yourself home with all the pain. Good thing you can send Nat out 10 miles on the most dangerous road in the area to the only pharmacy that's still open. America totes has the #1 healthcare ever.""life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorkossmonaut
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2016

i recently had a kidney infection with horrendous back pain. im also terrified of doctors and prescription medicine
    i drank tons of concord grape juice (something in the grapes help) and colloidal silver. took about 2 weeks to feel back to normal
    kossmonaut:i recently had a kidney infection with horrendous back pain. im also terrified of doctors and prescription medicine
    i drank tons of concord grape juice (something in the grapes help) and colloidal silver. took about 2 weeks to feel back to normal

homeopathic medicine terrifies me but I'm glad it worked for you.

Don't overdo colloidal silver otherwise you will literally turn blue

Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2016

Wait homeopathic medicine is something very specific that involves taking the molecular "memory" of an extremely diluted substance. It hasn't been backed up by any kind of known physics or chemistry, so a lot of people think it's no better than a placebo. BUT I did use a sports drink mix that had homeopathic elements in it, and it helped with leg cramps.
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

sounds like nandy didn't have two weeks for juice and silver to kick in!

...are there are things you can take that will turn you other colors? i'm all sortsa curious now...
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Update: feel assloads better. Antibiotics FTW. Also got something to relieve the symptoms that's basically just a dye? Science is neat.

Good for you though that that worked! I always want to wait it out but then I'm like "shit, reputable internet sources say you can die. What am I paying these insurance companies so much for anyway?""life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    tyler:Just start going deaf already you old fart.

Well I'm currently using the Car Talk method, so this will happen eventually.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorsmoothness
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2016 edited

what the fuck is the car talk method? also, i don't care which of you people i piss off: homeopathy is actually bullshit. had an ex who kept on saying i should take homeopathic remedies, and take more zinc and vitamin c AFTER I WAS ALREADY SICK to get better. vitamins and "essence of hippy" are not reactive solutions, people.

a_lion: things to make you change colors = food coloring, water, half a bottle of liquor, and a kiddie pool from the dollar store. remember to baste evenly. pictures or it didn't happen.
    a_lion:sounds like nandy didn't have two weeks for juice and silver to kick in!

...are there are things you can take that will turn you other colors? i'm all sortsa curious now...

Well, Fava beans can cause Jaundice in kids. You could always just drink heavily for a long time and kill your liver, and then you'll probably get jaundice from that before you die.

Hypochromic anemia can cause greenish skin, which is caused by either hereditary dysfunction or a B6 deficiency or low iron.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2016 edited

Mostly agreed, but we shouldn't completely misrepresent that article. The takeaway is that ‘people who choose homeopathy may put their health at risk ***IF*** they reject or delay treatments.’

Any homeopathic treatment is, at its core, a treatment that might *potentially* be real medicine, but either:

a) it has already been scientifically disproven, or
    b) it hasn't been studied enough yet to prove or disprove its efficacy.

(b) definitely has potential to be dangerous, but might also really work. Maybe that thing will be proven to be the cure for cancer. Or maybe it will turn you blue. Or maybe it will kill you. Make informed decisions if you really want to gamble. Not sure if grape juice falls into this category.
    [ETA: It does. See next post.]

(a) is harmless IF AND ONLY IF the studies have shown that it won't actually hurt you -- and in fact, it might actually be really beneficial because of the placebo effect. If you *believe* it's going to work, there's a damn good chance that it's going to work. In these cases, I do think that homeopathic medicine is totally fine, UNLESS you use it as an excuse to avoid proven treatments.

Are you dying of cancer and the doctors have told you there's nothing they can do, or the things they can do will make the quality of your remaining life miserable? What the hell, give it a shot, it probably isn't going to kill you faster.
    Do you have a kidney infection that's not deadly now but could turn deadly in a matter of days? Maybe not the best choice.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus