Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2018

surprisefries:BUTTTT when the pedal came off I pulled over and there were two $10 bills in the street so BOOM.

That pays for your new crank! IT WAS FATE.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2018

:c it's been forever since I got some sort of flu thing, but here I am with some kind of flu thing and it sucks. Don't get a flu thing, y'all."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    ugh, the worst. hope it clears quickly!DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2018

the less social kitten was sleeping on me and i sneezed and RUINED EVERYTHING FOREVER as far as she's concernedThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorwhoagirl!
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2018

whoa!Whoa!
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2018

have had tickets booked for months to leave this thursday-monday for a wedding in dc, and now i'm going to spend the next two days at work waiting for one of my two assistants to get his stubborn ass fired and ruin my god damn trip because i'll have to cover when he shoulda been working sunday/monday, all cuz he CAN NOT be an adult about someone else requesting that he stop saying 'retarded' because they find it offensive. just goes off ranting about thought police n shouty shouty shouty, and then (after saying he'll stop using it) uses it like 6 times over the course of the day. COME ONThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2018

lol, even if that asshole gets himself fired I'd still be like "that sucks, good luck y'all I'm gone for the weekend""life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2018

problem with that is that goats (and chickens and cats) don't care about your staffing difficulties, they wanna be fed...That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    Just dump a whole bunch of food in for the weekend, that'll work right?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2018

goats are known for their self control, absolutely!That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    haha I'm glad you picked up the sarcasm, apparently my sarcasm has not been clear lately- people keep responding with, "wait, really?"DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2018

they sound very smart!
    my stepfam doesn't understand sarcasm at all, it could be a problem until i moved far away from themThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    haha good solutionDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2018

Just sat down to true a wheel on a bike I'm fixing up and it turns out whoever built it (it's a replacement 24") way overtensioned it and there's a crack in the rim. It's a nice velocity aerohead, too.

I've gotten burned on the past 3 used bikes I've picked up. Don't get project bikes, kids."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    ugh :(DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorkossmonaut
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2018

why do my tire patches always fail, how much sanding is necessary, how much glue is necessary
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2018

I just rough it up some, and enough glue to cover the patch area with a thin layer but not too much. Are you waiting for the glue to dry before putting the patch on?"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    ^That last bit was why I used to be terrible at patching, you really have to be patient and let it dry all the way.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorkossmonaut
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2018

is it best to treat it like contact cement and apply some to both tire and patch, let it get tacky, then stick the 2 together?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2018

I have no idea, I guess try it? Just read a thing by Jobst Brandt that said the sandpaper step is necessary because when tubes are manufactured the rubber molds are coated in "mold release" so the tubes don't stick, and that can keep patches from sticking too. I always assumed it was some kind of surface area increasing trick, but it's apparently to remove that layer of anti-stick stuff and get down to the rubber. They say if it's close to one of those ridges you should try to flatten that as much as possible too"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    ^Huh I hadn't heard that before but it makes a lot of sense, though I do also think it gives the glue more area to bond to.

It may depend on your patch type/brand, but I always apply to the tube only. Let it get completely dry, not just a bit tacky, then press patch on and hold. You can also work it in a little from the center out but keep that pressure on for at least a full minute.

I also tend to just keep a spare tube in my bag, and patch the old tube when I get home rather than on the road- then I keep that as my spare.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2018

What everybody else said. I also keep a pen in my bag and draw a patch-sized circle around the puncture, so that I'm sure to get enough glue on there.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    ^clever!DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Am I imagining things or did patch kits use to include a little crayon-y thing in 'em?
    Ugh, day one of mousetrap season - got three. Sadly it looked like one might have suffered a bit (trap had moved).

Also one of the traps that looked reusable to me turns out not to be. Hate to throw the thing away but can't get the dead mouse out.
    Sucks. I'm hoping now that we have 2 cats I don't have to play that game this year.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2018

I've seen some patch kits with a piece of chalk in them.

Cats FTW, btw."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Ah, that must be it! Chalk makes a lot more sense given how hard it would be to draw on rubber with a crayon.

Unfortunately on the cat front there are allergies involved. On a sort of brighter note, outside of the garage it seems like the mouse activity is mostly confined to inside the floors/walls. Downside is there're a few floor level kitchen cabinets that they can access from inside the wall. I suppose the smart thing would be to have someone come next summer and figure out how they're getting in and do something about sealing it. It's just field mice looking for a place to winter (they are a vector for Lyme though).
    Yeah I've been fighting mice in the fall/winter since we've been in this house (this will be our 3rd winter). A couple of them I was never able to catch even with different types of traps, bait, location, etc. Smart little fuckers. Also my motivation to kill them waxed and waned based on evidence of them being up on the counters.

Basically all my in-laws are allergic (but not Mrs. Fries or the little Frieses) which is why we didn't get cats sooner but eventually MF was like fuck it we all want cats and they don't come over that much anyway, so here we are.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2018

surprisefries: fuck it we all want cats
    "life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2018

I was surprised how cronchy a cat eating a mouse was =/That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    How many dead mice does one need to have before it's definitively a problem situation?

I'm officially in double digit territory.

That cat is starting to sound pretty good.
    I am not a professional but I would call double digits a definite problem- depending on the time period and where in the house they are. I've never worried much unless they were getting up on the counters or into food. But any amount of rodent droppings is technically a health hazard.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    This is something I hate to complain about but I hate not being able to enjoy rain storms because leaky roof.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2018

i mean if you have one mouse, you actually have a lot of mice. if you've got a dozen mice...time for drastic actionThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    I think the only thing to do about our mice is wait out this winter and have someone come in the spring and try to seal up any entry points. We live in the woods, and to some degree mice are to be expected - and I know there's a bumper population of squirrels, so it's hardly surprising there are dramatically more mice than usual. Also, of the 10 mice I've gotten so far 8 were in a cabinet that rarely used games are stored in. 1 in the garage. 1 in a cabinet that has carefully package food in it.

Leaky roofs suck. Hoping to avoid the ice dam backups we had in past years.
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

what are they even doing with games? bad cabinet choice, mouses!That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

^Special forces mice on a secret mission to destroy this:

Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    ha!DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

put up that shrinkwrap plastic stuff on my patio door, and while it was only partly attached it was just blowing in the ridiculous breeze through this door, and now i guess it's gonna be creaking in the wind all winter? but better than all that cold blowing directly at me?? until the plastic just blows too much and the sticky stuff gives out...That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    oh man I am so happy to be in a house with "modern" windows, meaning like 20-30 years old instead of 100. I really really hated doing that shrink wrap shit. But it's totally worth it.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

our windows were replaced this year, but the patio door thing is basically tornado alley itself =/That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    Maybe not hate, but today I am really annoyed by the Cambridge Fire Department who just decided we need permits for compressed gas and cryogenic fluids now. And we have to get them (and pay for them) now, but they expire at the end of the year so in about a month I will have to apply again and pay again. Not that it's my money (though it is my time), but it seems ridiculous.

But not as ridiculous as the candle ban!DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2018

A DUI plowed through a group ride of cyclists out here putting a guy in a month long coma and other permanent injuries, so he gets a year of not getting caught driving and 4 months of weekENDs in jail. Fuck everything"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2018

So you report to jail for just the weekend? Very strange... Well I imagine they will also get hit with a pretty good civil suit.
    • CommentAuthorryan t

^^It does seem like Cambridge might have some bizarre ordinances. Somewhat different, but a while back in Harvard Sq I was on the sidewalk taking a picture of a building for work, and a cop came up on me and said that they don’t usually allow people to photograph property unless they are doing something to that property... I should have said, you mean like tourists do every 2 seconds?
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

you're looking at it, that's doing something. shove off manThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    ^^ That sounds like an odd and likely unenforceable ordinance? I'm going to go out on a limb and guess the cop was confused (so long as the photographer is on public property).

But then, Cambridge seems to be a big fan of weird ordinances, and not just the candle ban, e.g.:

9.04.070 - Throwing objects in streets or on bridges.
    No person shall play ball or throw a stone or other missile in any street, or upon or from any bridge.

Sorry, Nerf-missile throwing kids.

9.08.010 - Disorderly conduct—Profanity and insulting language.
    No person shall behave himself in a rude or disorderly manner, or use any indecent, profane or insulting language in any street or public place. No person shall make or cause to be made, any unnecessary noise or noises in any public street, private way or park, so as to cause any inconvenience or discomfort for the inhabitants of the City.

Heavens to Betsy, someone rude in public?

12.16.100 - Sidewalks—Obstruction—Fruit peelings.
    A. No person shall place, or cause to be placed, upon any sidewalk, any article whatsoever, so as to obstruct a free passage for travelers for more than fifteen minutes. B. No person shall wilfully and maliciously tip over and spill out the contents of any box or barrel containing ashes or other house dirt set upon the sidewalk. No person shall throw or place upon any sidewalk or crosswalk any banana skin, orange peel or other slippery substance.

Speaking of rude.
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2018

years ago, there was someone throwing a new banana peel a day (commuting breakfast?) in the shoulder on a road i biked on a lot and it was a dumb obstacle course... the 15 minute aspect is pretty goofyThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo