Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2020

She's definitely coming back a zombie. Get your shotgun ready.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2020 edited

TIH this thread on Rochester Bike Kids

It's gotten me so mad I've come back on BostonFixed.

Mrs. Pocky risked her fucking life today like she does every fucking day and on top of it she gave blood afterward and came home super weak and then I was a jackass and procrastinated about the one thing she asked me to do -- making her dinner -- because I was at a Facebook "watch party" watching MYSELF in a show, and she yelled at me and I totally deserved it.

So I have pretty much zero tolerance for people who don't know what the fuck they're talking about acting like *they're* fucking warriors.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2020

a_lion:my roommate went out, supposedly to talk to her bf from across the yard, but that was 2+ hours ago...
    she came back after two hours that time, was home a while, and then just stayed over his house a day and a half, got home at 4:30 this morning, so i guess i've just got to accept that she's potentially a typhoid mary and i'm doomed? sweet.

pocky, hope your wife is feeling better - those needles are Too Big for me.

i have read that you should at least give more than 6' if you're exercising/breathing hard, cuz you're probably heaving particles further out into the air, but yeah exercise of some sort is still necessary. i've been worried this whole time about some old folk i know who are more fit than average for their age, but then if they can't move for months...i don't think you bounce back as well at 75 or 85! =(That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    uuuugghhh at people, the sanctimony is so strong

^wtf roommate. you should make a diy mask but it's a whole bag, then put the bag over her head when she gets home

The >6ft when exercising makes sense, I was actually thinking about that when I went for a solo ride last night. Which tells you what side I'm on, I suppose.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2020 edited

a_lion:
    I have read that you should at least give more than 6' if you're exercising/breathing hard, cuz you're probably heaving particles further out into the air=(

Good to know because I’ve definitely seen a lot of solo runners around.
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

new slate article thinks yeah still get outside, risk is slight but possible.. https://slate.com/technology/2020/04/exercise-social-distancing-running-six-feet-covid19.htmlThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

There's this bike shop I still follow from buffalo and they're advertising recreational bike rentals because "we all need to exercise". Is it just me or does this sound super fucking insensitive to the situation? I get it, some bike shop functions are absolutely essential, but send the sales staff home jfc."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

they're calling it "essential exercise rentals", what a bad look yikes"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Last I heard, Urban Adventours is still open, with social distancing protocols.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

'my' shop back in nh was supposed to have their 30th birthday party around now, is instead asking for charity suggestions to give 3 $1,000 donations.

tours seem...like they will not be well spaced? we got headset things to do bike tours in the parks, and the distance the ones we got could operate over was wildly inadequate =/

i'm not joining them, but it's nifty to see all the pros doing rides on zwift that randos can joinThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Urban Adventours owner is shady as fuck tbh"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2020 edited

I’m wondering if the Wed night time trial that I do sometimes will happen this year. I can see all group rides and mass start things getting axed, but you’re not hugging and puffing all over people in a tt, except briefly sharing the same space when passing someone, or getting passed. It will probably get canceled, but just thinkin.

ETA: I mean huffing and puffing. Only the pros give big gross hugs with sweat still pouring off them.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Oh man that Wednesday TT is still happening? I never went but heard lots of good things about it backinnaday.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    Sorry I don't think they're actually doing tours right now, just their shop is open.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2020

yeah, I have no idea what UA is doing (that's just their reputation) and I'm fine with repair services being open of course, but making a big deal about advertising recreational rentals at a time like this just seems like poor taste"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorryan t

^^Yep NEBC still does the Charlie Baker tt in Concord if that’s the one. Wells Ave also got repaved last year, is now run by the New England Devo club, and people started going again, so that was cool to see.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

^Yep, that's the one! Man, I kind of miss doing races and being fast on bikes.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2020 edited

Haha, looks like moderators deleted that RBK thread that I was so mad about. But now the sentiment is everywhere. I've seen a bunch of people using these two articles lately to make the argument that nobody should bike right now. I'm suspect. Are you really so aero that turbulence won't disintegrate your respiratory signature in considerably less than 20 meters?

https://medium.com/@jurgenthoelen/belgian-dutch-study-why-in-times-of-covid-19-you-can-not-walk-run-bike-close-to-each-other-a5df19c77d08
    https://www.potomacpedalers.org/columns/presidents-page

The second article seems to only be discussing respiratory signature as a reason to not ride in roadie groups, and that makes sense, but people are taking it to argue that even solo biking is dangerous and irresponsible.

I mean, hell, no harm in giving MORE space. But when people take pseudoscience and turn it into "any bicycling is dangerous therefore we should not do it", that's when it gets BANNED and it fucks things up for all of us for no reason at all.

Meanwhile, people are getting into their fucking cars with their contaminated nitrile gloves and contaminating the whole interior surface of their cars and then pulling off their N95 masks that they've been hoarding instead of donating them to their local healthcare workers who ACTUALLY need them and handling them with their unsanitary hands and then putting them right back on their faces "but it's OK, because I'm the only one in the car!"::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2020

haha came here in part because i saw that first link this morning, and it went along with what i thought the other day when my mom said she went on a walk the other day with a friend, "at a distance" or whatever, but i was thinking if they were one ahead of the other, it's not ideal.
    i don't really have a dog in this fight - within about 30 seconds ride i can be to streets with no pedestrians for a bazillion miles. TIH, though, that as of tomorrow i'll be finally allowed to bike again, but as of today the temps have gone down 20+ degrees from the last several days, and are supposed to stay down here. damnit! >=(That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    that blows

I dunno everyone thinks they're right about everything. I will continue to ride, especially now that I am going back into work some days, and I wear a cloth mask and try not to go fast enough that I breathe heavily. The only people I get even close to are in cars and there aren't even many of those so I'm not worried about it.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2020

are you finding it hard to breathe enough through a mask when biking? been wondering about it!That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    No, but a lot of air is escaping through the top so it's impossible to wear glasses (which isn't a big deal, my prescription is very weak so I just ride a little slower). This also my experience with regular surgical masks though, and it's still dramatically reducing my droplet output. Breathing in has not been an issue. It's one layer of non-woven polypropylene shopping bag and one layer of Dickies work pants, haha.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2020 edited

My suspicions are confirmed! The "study" is shady at best and dangerous at worst:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/v74az9/the-viral-study-about-runners-spreading-coronavirus-is-not-actually-a-study

'I showed Blocken's research to William Hanage, an epidemiologist at Harvard's Center for Communicable Disease Dynamics. He said that the virality of Blocken's research is harmful, and that Blocken's suggestion in the white paper that this research is a "modest contribution" toward the fight against Covid-19 "makes my blood boil."'

If you choose to bike with a mask, you really need full eye coverage too, since COVID-19 droplet infection will happen through your EYES.
    I own a pair of ski goggles with a fan inside for not fogging my glasses during skiing that are the shiznit. A little overkill for the weather though. And would the fan just ENCOURAGE droplets to get to your eyes?

These are the legitimate Smith ones:
    Smith Turbofan Goggle

These are the cheap knockoffs I bought:

If you have another solution for full eye coverage, a cartridge respirator would prevent glasses fogging, and also make you look badass. If you don't already own one I doubt you can get one now. I own one which I've used for household cleaning and construction projects, along with six or eight N95 masks. They are all opened so can't be donated to hospitals now, and we are not using them now because we are saving them for if and when things get real bad and Mrs. Pocky can no longer get what she needs at work.

Or you could try Cat Crap:
    ::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    I'm mostly only wearing a mask in case I'm an asymptomatic carrier, and thinking about how much more and harder I exhale when I'm riding or running.

Last I heard the WHO is standing by their assessment that you don't need a mask at all unless you're infected or can't social distance.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2020

Yeah, my understanding is that masks do more to prevent your own virus-laden droplets from flying out than to prevent virus-laden droplets from flying in. But who knows what to believe anymore!Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2020

hot water heater started leaking yesterday, boo, they're replacing it today, yay, but ok they've been here 5 hours and i desperately need to pee but the water's still off, and our apt manager people said please stay in your room when workers are there so they don't have to breathe quite as much of your germs (or i'd also have already eaten my bored-so-dinner-is-at-4 meal already)That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    That suuuucks but at least it's getting replaced quickly!DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2020

my apartment managers are usually quite responsive (and this was leaking A Lot!)That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    • CommentAuthorryan t

Weak. I’ve had two hot water heaters break and start leaking since I’ve been here. It would seem like they could leave the cold water pipe on, though, because that’s the way they did it with mine while it was being replaced. I guess there’s different systems?
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

well, it's cold water going in to the heater...?That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    • CommentAuthorryan t

If it’s like mine it probably has a valve that shuts off all the water coming into the heater, but that shouldn’t shut off the entire cold pipe. Maybe they just shut off the whole system as a precaution.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

We put a tankless water heater in the buffalo house and it seemed like a much more practical solution. Now I gotta hope the water tank in the other part of the basement doesn't leak because my whole apartment is also in the basement

It's an awesome apartment though, we even have some full sized windows"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

this is def not tankless. pretty huge tank! also when the pilot light for it is out, the heat for the house is out, which was an issue maybe 2 months ago...That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    ryan t:If it’s like mine it probably has a valve that shuts off all the water coming into the heater, but that shouldn’t shut off the entire cold pipe. Maybe they just shut off the whole system as a precaution.

I am not a plumber but I'd say if it wasn't done this way it wasn't done correctly. It may also be reasonable though to just shut it all off while they work though.

Ugh that reminds me my water heater is a little over 10 years old so I should be looking into all the options (tankless, etc) so we don't have to make a decision when it's broken and we have no hot water.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2020

i like the tankless one at my mom's - never running out is lovelyThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2020

my roommate, who has been coughing at least 3 weeks (but spent half that time at her bf's) has a 100.6* fever...That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Oh no, get her tested!Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

if only it were that easy?!That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    • CommentAuthorryan t

Ugh, worst ever.
    noooooo

maybe she'll decide to quarantine herself at her boyfriend's?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2020 edited

she woke up with no voice, left for urgent care 2 weeks ago... i assume i'm toast
    she's got monoThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2020

She's still officially the worstWorstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

oh yeah, that she came into the tiny, cramped kitchen last night while i was getting my food, couldn't wait two minutes even though we're like never otherwise in the same place, and then on the way back to her room mentioned she had a fever... that's some hateful shitThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

TIH the amount of driver absolving and victim blaming speculation I'v seen in bike advocate groups today. Didn't even have to see herald comments to lose faith in humanity."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

I'm convinced that the new crop of bike safety people are mainly hobby bikers.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    I thought I had mono for an entire year once. Turns out i was just really bored.

I'm really glad it's not covid though.

Man I just cannot really get down with the Bicycle Advocacy in general...it's partly selfish bc personally I would often rather have better paved/lined streets than more bike infrastructure but that's obvs not best for everyone. But it's also the types of people it attracts.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2020

is that, like, depression at that point? glad if you're feeling better long since, anyway!

out here the guy that seems to be the main bike advocacy guy is like all about sharrows, so...fuck that noise.That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2020 edited

yeah, disagreements on preferred infrastructure is obnoxious (can't we just have a variety of infrastructure appropriate for the conditions so just about everyone can find routes that work for them? Sharrows are never not going to be completely wrong though). But like, look at one grainy photo a block away and be all "OBVIOUSLY this idiot didn't know what trucks are, I always tell newbs about trucks, sad I didn't get to tell this moron but that's what you get when bike advocacy doesn't unite around center lane cycletracks on literally every road" [slight exaggeration added][not that much though, these are all actual points someone used]

wtf people"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2020

Yeah, I'm more in Evan's camp, though I do see places where infrastructure is badly needed (Harvard Bridge, anyone??). Still, it seems like some people won't be happy until every bike is off every road, which is essentially the goal of drivers as well. Call it a cycletrack or call it a sidewalk, it's still ghettoization.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    My friend who lives in the South End forwarded me a reverse 311 text message from the city of Boston, telling drivers to slow the fuck down right now. Apparently "serious injuries from collisions caused by speeding" have been up during the pandemic.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D