Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2020

i got a refund check from my car insurance cuz people are driving less/crashing less, so...interesting. fewer crashes, but worse cuz people are driving 100 in less busy roads?That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    that's nice of them

yeah i dunno i haven't noticed it too much in Cambridge/Somerville, but i pretty much only go out to and from work, in the evenings/nights. My friend told me it's getting crazy across the river there.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2020

I believe it. Out where I am it's pretty much the same car volume as ever so I haven't seen too much speeding (aside from hearing the occasional douchebag from my house), but people are still generally shitty out there. I really think people are going to learn nothing from this whole thing and we'll be even worse off than before"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    This is America, that's pretty much guaranteed.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2020

Also weird to see so much shit on social media about the supposed recklessness of riding bikes because omg everyone within 100 yards has been infected by you if you go 16mph, and then I go out to see every other car driver with their window down and no mask."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

my college kid next door neighbors have been having a loud outdoor party all day. Someone just drove up to join them and they sounded suspiciously excited to see them for a roommate situation"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2020 edited

I just heard a loud, "I DON'T LIVE HERE, I HAVE TO GO HOME", which I think was a reference to not getting hammered and driving"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorryan t

I do know people that seem to be hanging out with others from time to time, probably thinking something like I’ve been good for a couple weeks, so now I can cheat on this diet. Ugh, doesn’t work like that...
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2020

i think some places recommend calling 311 to get stuff broken up, but i guess that depends on your opinion of getting police involved in other people's lives...That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    Yeah someone a block over was having a thing by the sound of it but it's a multi and it didn't sound like many people, so maybe it was just them. We did have sidewalk drinks with neighbors yesterday, but spaced out *and* masked up.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2020

As much as these obnoxious white college kids driving around new model SUVs with New Hampshire plates probably deserve it, I just really don't like being near cops if I can avoid it and no one's probably in immediate danger, but they really to be a whole lot less dumb. Careful minimal socializing with actual neighbors is probably fine, but nothing careful was happening with these folks :/"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Yeah...sigh.

We have 2 biologists and a public health professional in the group so no messin' around.

The neighbor who works in public health (at MGH) said they're already planning for a second surge.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2020

the chicks have been in a stock tank in the farmhouse for a month. the tank is too big to move alone, so for the last month hasn't been cleaned out because we were only going in, one person at a time, long enough to feed everyone. now that we're back to work full time it's impossible to ignore that the entire inside of the house is coated in dust that is, in fact, a layer of dried and pulverized chicken shit.That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    Oh god at least you're wearing masks right?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorryan t

Yum. Maybe with some really powerful fans in the windows you could blow it outside?
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

it's gone back to cold here, can't freeze out the chicks. basically not much point to doing anything for a few more weeks until they go out to the coop, then, like, swiffer dusters coated in bleach??That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2020

first step, set up a sprinkler to dampen the dust and moisturize the shit spackel. then set up a hose that creates a constantly running stream of water out the door or to a drain. then rent a pressure washer and a full-body suit and go to town.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

I mean, the 1920s player piano does need to be kept to a specific humidity minimum....That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    haha oh that poor thingDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

it's so cool, when it's working (which, luckily, is most of the time. we're mega effed when the repair guy retires!)That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2020 edited

Rats keep getting into our basement and dying, so I’m wondering if someone has been putting rat poison down there. It seems like one of those sonic rodent repellent things would be an all around better solution if they work- they put out an offensive noise that keeps rats away, but humans can’t hear it. Does anyone know if they’re effective?
    I have heard mixed results for the anti-mouse sonic things. Generally the only way you're gonna stop it is to find the entry point(s) and eliminate them (rats can fit through a quarter-sized hole), then clean everything so there's no rat smell which will attract other rats.

I just dealt with this because rats were burrowing under my porch. The city has good resources, and I had a great chat with the Rat Czar a few weeks ago. If you own, or if your landlord lives there too and it's 3 or fewer units there's a free inspection and abatement program, but it's currently suspended for the pandemic.

I ended up filling the hole with dry ice (which they definitely do not recommend but sometimes it works), filling it back up with dirt, and after a week with no sign of more digging, I installed a 1/4" wire mesh barrier down to 16-18" below ground, then bent over and out ~3" from the wall. It's only been a week and a half but no more issues. I have a lot of that left if you want any. I also have some steel wool-type stuff for jamming into holes, rats and mice really hate chewing on that so it generally keeps 'em out.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2020

we spent a ton of time/money this winter getting raccoons/raccoon poop out of the attic of our 1 room schoolhouse, and then animals kept eating holes through the front doors (...new ones have been on the agenda for a while...?) and then last week some dickhead apparently just kicked the doors in so much i couldn't even wedge them back into the frame to keep animals out until the repair guys could come out the next day. worst part was, we had a trailcam aimed at the doors, so i grabbed that and took it back inside to check the pictures, but a month before a squirrel (?) ate through the plastic housing, so when i opened it, battery-rust-rainwater dumped out on me, and a huge spider tooThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    oh geez that's awful

got any sheet metal lying around whoever leaves last could wedge in?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2020 edited

Ugh, sounds like Murphy’s Law. Speaking of animals eating through things, a couple years ago I heard some creature crawling around in the walls in the kitchen, and then it started eating a hole at the edge of the drywall where it meets the kitchen cabinet. I banged on the wall, and luckily it ran away and I never saw it again. I’m guessing it was a rat because it sounded like a decent size thing, but whatever it was it must have been pretty clever to get all the way to the 3rd floor.

Thanks for the tips on the rats... Unfortunately the foundation of my building is in rough shape; the floor is a mixture of dirt and crumbling concrete. There’s also a ton of stuff down there belonging to other tenants, so I think any attempt to make it really clean would be an exercise in futility. I think I know the general area where they’re getting in, though, so I’ll have to see if there’s a way to block it off, or whatever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2020

one time my partner lived in the 1st and 2nd floor of a triple where food was stored for fnb and the rodents got so bad they borrowed someone's cat which solved the problem immediately, then they talked to their 3rd floor neighbors a while after and they were like "did you get this crazy rat problem all of a sudden [the exact time they borrowed the cat]?""life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    hahahahahaha

We had mice coming in the house during the winter, until we got cats. They've never caught any but I assume it's just the cat smell that keeps 'em away. I actually have filled rat holes under one fence in our back yard with dirty cat litter from time to time, hard to tell if it did anything- outside it's just too easy for the rats to go a different way.

The cats do love going down in our basement when we let them, but it doesn't seem like they're keyed to any invading rodents, just exploring as far as I can tell. And I imagine it's exciting because they don't get to go down all the time.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2020

•  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2020

Lol, whoever wrote that script needs to go to writer jail for this line alone: "Turn signals are the revolutionary new technique that has been around for decades."

SO MUCH WRONG with that statement, both grammatically and logically.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2020

they redid this highway on/off sitch near me so you go up the (lil) hill, traffic circle for southbound on/off ramps, bridge, traffic circle for nb on/off ramps, down into a stop light. while you're crossing the bridge east, the right lane the whole time is the lane that becomes the highway on ramp, and the other lane is the straight lane, so you wind up riding the white line between 'em, with cars passing you on both sides at once. sucks.That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2020

On ramps are terrible. I’ve been riding to Burlington for band practice, and they’re all over the place. I think the trick is to wait for a break in the traffic before you negotiate, which is sometimes impossible, but if there’s a traffic light a little bit before it might help?
    ugh. That reminds me of the time Dan/lyzard and I rode up to NH and back for my birthday...several years ago anyway. I didn't plan the best route, we ended up going through the 38/I95 rotary in Woburn both ways. It wasn't as bad as that sounds, but it wasn't great. Overall it was a fun 70-75 miles and lunch though.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2020

ok now what i hate is that dewine (oh gov) canceled yesterday's scheduled press conference last minute to have a later one today, but it was just 20+ minutes of him saying "hey it is bad and it could get worse, it'd be REALLY SWELL if you could wear masks even if you're not in a county where it's required, please"
    dude. MAKE IT REQUIRED. maybe shut some things back down, too?That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2020

ryan t:On ramps are terrible. I’ve been riding to Burlington for band practice, and they’re all over the place. I think the trick is to wait for a break in the traffic before you negotiate, which is sometimes impossible, but if there’s a traffic light a little bit before it might help?

they put in the traffic circles to take out the lights!That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    Won't bore with details but holy fuck school planning is a shit show. I feel bad for everyone- admins, teachers, parents, mostly the kids. It's much more stressful even than my stressful job right now.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2020

the college here is doing a 'hybrid' approach for the fall, but reportedly all online next spring, which is interesting and pessimistic (....so, realistic, I guess?)That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    Yeah we have to prepare for full virtual all year bc one of the conditions is upgrading HVAC in the older school buildings.

The shittiest part IMO is that it sounds like a lot of it will be asynchronous, pre-recorded videos rather than live virtual teaching. Which is like, almost pointless for young kids with working parents.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2020

did a zoom meeting with people at cultural orgs across nw ohio yesterday and apparently i'm the only one around here asking about air purifiers and/or HVAC improvements. has no one else seen the internet in months?? winter's coming and all our handy "just eat lunch outdoors on opposite porches" things aren't gonna work so hot then

i...just don't see a good option. paying attention to one kid via video would still mean the others could be messing around... maybe like shorter "class" hours and then sorta video "office hours" available? which requires the kid and/or parent to realize that there's a problem that needs assistance, and still needs the parent to be around...just yikes all aroundThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    ugh that sucks. It's not that far from now, either. Y'all like eating lunch in full winter weather gear?

It was hard in the spring with 2 kids who are 3 grades apart. We just stopped trying with Smallerfries because, Pre-K. Working on forming bubbles/pods/whatever with other parents, that seems to be the best worst option.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2020

the hancock horizontal hundred (hancock county, it's VERY FUCKING FLAT, it's a century) is canceled, which makes sense, but it was going to be their 50th and now is the last and the club that puts it on is disbanding. rough.That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    super sadDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2020

i seem to have, at all times, a little bit of poison ivy and several new bug bites. desperately eager for winter and layers! ...even if the big poison ivy/face blowup requiring steroids was a winter thing 2 years ago...we'll just forget about that for now...That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    ugh i can tell there's some glass working its way into my tire but i can't get it out

so much glass around in the last weekDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2020

driving to nh (from ohio) now. very yuck.

sorry in advance about your flat ^That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2020

omg so much glass. Get a pick and really get in there to dig it out! If it's real bad let the air out and squeeze the spot until you get it"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Yeah i was trying to pick it out with my pocketknife (yeah i know, but very carefully). I think I ground up whatever I couldn't get out pretty well so we'll see. Letting the air out is a great idea, thanks!DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2020

I live in a neighborhood where junkies are literally throwing garbage and needles any old place and there's still less glass than your average Boston-metro street. Go figure.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2020

it's still less glass than buffalo had for sure

my 2 favorite bike tools are the tire bead jack and my trusty sharpened pick, sooo handy. Pro tip: if you're nice and I have time I'll pick the glass out of your tires on a tune up, I love saving people from flats"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    oo my one bike does need a tuneup (this is a problem on 2 bikes now...so much glass...). It has a hydraulic disc brake that I had a velofix guy look at and asked him about bleeding - he said it just needs new pads but i dunno - sometimes when i start riding it barely works (lever goes almost all the way to the handlebar), but after I pump it several times it works better- which to me suggests air in the line, no?

I've just kind of been ignoring it bc it works fine after a minute and it's a fixed gear anyway...DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D