Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2015

EPIC! Stratton:PI Lobster mitts and nothing else (on my hands that is). Warm all the way to and from work.
    I've wanted these for years, but leather :/I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

you tried the Craft version? Somervelo stocks them, Tom thinks they are pretty good. I have a 7 year old set of PI lobsters that are still going strong.
    • CommentAuthorben

Yeah i bought the craft split finger. Don't care for them. They've been getting me by with thick specialized waterproof gloves underneath, but don't work well on their own below freezing.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2015 edited

I love my Auclair lobster mitts, but I've never seen them anywhere except the ski shop where I bought them. Canadian or GTFO.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

my ibex mountain gloves (not lobster) are killing it this winter #swag. i used to wear craft gloves. they were lame.
    fixiefriend:was riding up n beacon st, trying to get past traffic when i bumped my elbow (more like i leaned on it to regain some balance i lost on some slush) on a black bmw x3 - no marks, no nothing. i say sorry and go on my way, but that benign elbow bump must've the last straw of his mom beamer steadfastness because he chased me a couple lights down brighton ave, speeding + honking wildly + angrily yelling.

I was mostly scared for my life because he was hi-revving, bumper making its way towards my rear wheel, so i didn't stop and weaved through traffic to widen the gap + keep a safe number of cars between him and me until he disappeared.

Honestly when this happens I never look back or acknowledge it because it just invites shit like this. 9 times out of 10 they probably dont even notice unless you make a show of it, and then again, even when they do get crazy, i just put on my "horse blinders", stone face, and just pretend like nothing is happening. If they want to run me over from behind, theyre gonna have a lot bigger things to worry about then a cyclist pushing off their car.
    Dude yelled out his car window, "The three foot rule applies to you too!" After I passed him on the right.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2015

Lot more fairweather riders out today, including all the guys that run reds to get in front of you and ride slowly.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2015 edited

^^Huh? Is that even true?Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    rock dathe:Nevermind, found this in a local "bikepacking" thread just now

Is that Joe Vargas? It looks like Joe.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Nope, not true. Mass doesn't even have a 3ft rule for cars passing bikes. There was an article about some sadsack of a state out west that was trying to get a "bikes pass things with 3ft of space" and everyone laughed at them and I don't know if it passed."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Correct that we don't have that, but I'm not about to correct an idiot driver on that. But yeah even if we did, it doesn't apply to bikes passing cars. Because that would be stupid.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

They really need to improve that driver's ed test."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Nandy:They really need to improve that driver's ed test.

They need to make it so that if you get more than 2 wrong on the written portion you have to try again. Now you can miss like 5 and still get your license

Also most of the questions that you come across are bizarrely specific questions about the drunk driving laws. Which is fine, because people shouldn't drive drunk but maybe the questions shouldn't say "HOW MUCH ALCOHOL IS IN A 12-OZ BEER" and instead should be like "You are sober. Your friend is drunk and trying to drive, what should you do? A) talk them down and convince them to wait instead B) hide their keys C) offer to drive for them D) punch them in the face"

^That is actually a question on the MSF course, I think there was another option that was "let the air out of their tires"Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    Admittedly I haven't rode my bike except for short within-JP runs for the past 6 weeks or whatever, but last night I rode out to MIT ... on the way out the Mass Ave bridge bike lane was (mostly) clear, so I didn't think about getting in the lane on the way back - just to realize it doesn't actually EXIST right now southbound. Kind of hard to realize in the dark and rain, I was getting buzzed and splashed by 50mph cars all the way across, ugh.

I guess the point of the story (besides "RIDING AGAIN YAY") is that I'm pretty surprised they haven't cleared that bike lane of all places! Seemed like one of the first things I would imagine would get cleared :/
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2015

^it's much more clear than it was. so there's that...i agree that it still sucks.

i think the larger problem is that mass ave bridge is dumb. move the effing barriers to protect the bike lane and walkway. boom, cycletrack. boom, connected to the charles river bike path (without that dumb turnaround move you have to do).

BOOM.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

NUGGZ FOR COMBO MAYOR OF BOSTON AND CAMBRIDGE."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Would vote.

Oh boy are the fairweathers out today. Lots of chodie bikes in the lockup. And a Dolan.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthormfratt

OMG gaiz, its like spring and stuff dood. Lets ride our beiks to werk yo.

I am not amused.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2015 edited

I love seeing spring commuters, I wish I'd seen more of them today. Sure beats entitled dickwads in shiny oversized pickups trying to kill me, like one particular fuckface this morning. Congress after Boston Wharf rd is such a fucking chode magnet, it's pretty amazing.

Later on I did have a sort of nice motorist interaction. A taxi swerved around a turning car and very nearly took me out, so I got their attention at the light and calmly let them know they almost killed me and it's a good idea to get in the habit of checking their mirrors first. They were pretty oblivious but not hostile (probably helped that they had a passenger), then at the next light another driver was all, "wow, that was close, glad you're okay!" and we had a nice little chat at the red."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2015

On my way in (McGrath before Land blvd), a minivan passed pretty close and cut me off to stop in the turn lane. I rolled up planning to say something like "hey buddy, trying to kill people is a bad way to start the day. Have a good one!" but before I could he opened the window and put his clenched hand out and, with his face contorted in rage, said, "I WILL MURDER YOU." and drove off. I wish I were making that up."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    It was real windy in Kendall Square. I almost got blown into a parked car at Portland St. Damn these man-made wind tunnels!i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

Wow that sounds horrible, Nandy!"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    • CommentAuthorThreePete

Disclaimer: This was my fault.

I was riding down beacon st. and turning right at the coolidge corner intersection to turn left onto longwood ave. There was a string of cars making the same left turn, so I picked a car to turn with so I'm following the car when he suddenly stops and I slam my brakes and unclip but was too late. I go right into his trunk, I was initially upset but what I didn't realize was that he had stopped quickly because there was someone who had just started walking in the crosswalk. Long story short, driver stops short to let elderly pedestrian walk the crosswalk and I didn't see him enter the crosswalk and went into nice-guy driver's trunk.

Driver, stopped threw on hazards and stepped out of vehicle with whom I presume was his mom in the backseat and asked if I was ok. I apologized and we chuckled - el fin.
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

It is crazy to me that people like that even exist. Glad you weren't murdered!
    It's hard when people are revving and tailgating and you're trying to keep pace with traffic or clear an intersection, and then someone in front of you stops. Much Ack. That's been happening to me a lot lately too.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Also when these cars are significantly obstructing your view of pedestrians."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorThreePete

Yeah, especially at that turn - it's challenging at the hour I was commuting because the cars trying to go straight often will crowd the space so cars trying to make that left have to wait for a pretty long time.

^^ tiny, the other day some idiot in a subaru was revving his engine behind me because I was stopped in front of him on a "No Turn on Red" and he was planning on doing it anyway. I looked back again after he did it a second time, and started inching forward. I want to say I turned back and flipped him the bird and spit no his windshield, but he seemed like the kind of subaru-owner that thinks he's god's gift to the world wrapped in a black v-neck and true religion jeans so I got out of the way...
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Another way to handle that would be to make a jerk off motion and point to the sign."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    That doesn't happen to me as much as it used to, but I fantasize about yelling "I DON'T WANT TO HELP YOU BREAK THE LAW" real loud in front of lots of pedestrians and maybe the mayor. But like, maybe the mayor of Somerville because he seems like he might give a shit.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    ^Maybe

ThreePete that's right about where I had my first ever accident, Beacon at Webster. Driver turning right, I shade left, driver stopped short for ped, couldn't make it all the way around and my right shoulder went into the hatchback. I made a big dent, too. Driver was very nice and trying to make sure I was okay but I was mostly just really embarrassed. Later I looked at her contact info and realized she was an orthopedic nurse and felt even stupider for kinda blowing off her trying to make sure I was okay.

Webster going Somerville to Cambridge has a mini pump track section right now, which is kind of fun. Coming Camb->Som there's just exposed brick and trolley track.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorginny

Today at a light there was some guy behind me clearly itching to make the illegal right on red, and so I tried pointing to the sign but I don't think he got what I was pointing at. He pointed to the right, and it's like yeah I know you're trying to turn, you've got your blinker on...but don't you see the sign?

On a happy note, the other day I was riding down Bow st. and a driver very patiently stayed behind me and gave me plenty of space before making the right on Summer st. It was a nice change of pace from the usual taking the whole lane and pointing excessively.
    • CommentAuthorThreePete
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2015 edited

Fries, I just witnessed a moron this morning making a right turn from the middle lane into Webster.

Beacon st. is pretty nice to ride on at least the part that we're referring to on most days. But some days I swear I feel like I need a valium after all the close calls. To top it off lately, the banks have been melting during the day but turn into half inch sheets of ice overnight. My commute this morning was a little hairier than usual.
    Dang, man.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthormfratt
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2015 edited

The Cat 6'ers with squeaky drivetrains are out in force this week.
    "Oh my god, a female messenger?! Must pass her!!"
    mfratt:The Cat 6'ers with squeaky drivetrains are out in force this week.
    "Oh my god, a female messenger?! Must pass her!!"

Don't forget the incessant shoaling and light running.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2015

Riding like they drive. Gotta cut everyone off to the stop!"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthormfratt
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2015

I just take it as "Oh hey lemme break the wind for you!" Hop on their back wheel (cautiously) until there's traffic that they don't know how to handle and leisurely cruise past.
    mfratt:I just creep like a wiener then cut them off in gridlock to show thems who's "breaking away"
    Somehow a very satisfying ride this AM. Possibly because raining but you've seen worse.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2015

I thought this morning was miserable. Not owning rain pants was part of it. But traffic was terrible too.

Coming down Beacon to Hampshire from Sville/Cbridge, I got yelled at by a traffic cop for riding on the left side of traffic. They are doing construction in the middle of the road so each lane is pushed off into the bike lane / parking spots. There was no room to pass on the right so I passed the stopped cars on the left, between them and the traffic cones. Didn't cross into the construction zone, didn't 'endanger' any of the cars. I guess I should have just sat there impotently waiting in the line of traffic instead.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    Fuck beacon man. Fuck rain pants too, having to change anyway once I get here has been liberating. Cutoff Dickies over tights for life.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    surprisefries:Fuck beacon man. Fuck rain pants too, having to change anyway once I get here has been liberating. Cutoff Dickies over tights for life.

Wrong. Rain pants are the best. Not having to change pants when I get to work is a plus.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

If and only if you are skinny do rain pants actually work for you. Otherwise they fail after four rides, making them a huge waste of cashola.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

I don't have rain pants, but I don't go anywhere where I'm expected to be presentable, so I just suffer through it.

If I'm feeling all classy like (no bag) and I can ride something upright and ferndery I'll get the raincape out!"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    I'm sorry I jinxed it everyone

i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    ^womp WOOOOOMP

What nerdo said.

I just can't wear pants with holes in them at work anymore so not changing pants is not an option regardless of weather..DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    HOOOOLY shit windy tonight. Spinergy was NOT loving it today. Fortunately managed to keep it in (mostly) a single lane on my ride home tonight. Kudos to the dude in a BMW behind me who was incredibly patient with me taking the lane and battling the wind...Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    Lots of ice and crazy crosswinds, careful out there!DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2015

Why the fuck did we build a series of wind tunnels on the ocean? This is bullshit."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries