Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2015

•  
      CommentAuthorNandy

I left work early and took the train home, it was that bad all day."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2015 edited

I just came to this thread to ask the worker bees --> should I ride home? I walked to get a coffee and almost got blown over near Cafe Nero. I think I might take the train...

^Btw I said hi to Nat in Somervelo yesterday but I don't think he recognized me without my Christmas robe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

haha, probably not, and he must have been pretty distracted by that new bike."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorThreePete

I rode in this morning, the wind is no fun...
    Sorta annoyed that there's hecka wind and none of the weather sites are saying "Windy"i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Really? I'm seeing NOAA warnings on most of the ones I looked at, but a lot of sites seem to hide the wind speed in the "hourly" stuff, or even further detailed layouts."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Ow.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    • CommentAuthormfratt

Nandy:haha, probably not, and he must have been pretty distracted by that new bike.

That Surly is fucking gorgeous. I burnt a pick just to gawk at it for ten minutes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2015

Now I think I'm being punished for leaving early yesterday. One single job all morning. Joke's on you breakaway, I also messed up my knees yesterday. More healing time for me.
    Unfortunately I landed at the Cambridge side galleria without a book, and the music is atrocious."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2015

Come by MIT. I have a whole office full of books you can have for free.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    Rolling down Beacon St through Coolidge Corner when this woman (blue subaru, MA 63EE18) guns up next to me and screams "YOU HAD NO RIGHT TO DO THAT!" and then something I didn't understand. So I have no reaction but "WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!" since I was, and had been going straight in a straight lane (you know, since the bike lane suddenly stops a block before). So I (me!) was mad enough to chase her down a side street when she tried to escape, which was a good thing, because it turned out she was actually using the side street to make a u-turn so she could either get behind me again, cut me off, or hit me. But since I turned with her, and she was being a jackass, she had no choice but to get back onto Beacon in front of me again. Then at the next light I pulled up to her rear bumper (didn't want to get alongside) and started yelling "WHAT IS IT THAT YOU THINK I DID THAT WAS ILLEGAL? WAS IT USING THE ROADS MY TAXES PAY FOR? OR GOING STRAIGHT FROM A STRAIGHT LANE" and of course she wouldn't even respond. Real fucking tough lady. Then she made a u-turn on Beacon, presumably to report me to the police. And so I continued on to work because I am a human being with a job and a life.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2015

Hahahaha I'm so glad you confronted her

Some people be crazy

All I had was a dummy on a mountain bike shoal me at a red. I said "Don't fucking cut me off" and boxed him out when the light went green but I don't think there were any U-Turns involved.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    x-posted from TIH thread:

EPIC! StrattonAlmost doored on the way in to work today. Some schmuck was getting dropped off by his friend/uber/lover/whatever and he managed to cut me off and then almost door me as I weaved around.

Stopped to simply let him know that's really dangerous and he needs to check before opening his door, to which said sir douchenozzle of suckdick-a-ville responded, "Calm down".

Me: Calm down? You could kill someone doing that.
    SDN: But I didn't. Whatever man.

At this point the normal niceties were exchanged.

I guess I just need to get start breaking windows and wishing them a nice day.

People are sucking lately.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    She seemed like, really unhinged (pulling into the side street in order to reposition herself) and now I'm having an anxiety attack at work that she's going to be out there after work or tomorrow or the next day, looking for me so she can run me over :(i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2015

^I hate that anxiety after a run-in with crazy drivers. I had a really bad confrontation with a guy in Dorchester once and was convinced he'd hunt me down the next day. Never happened, thank goodness. Years ago, I actually had a guy chase me in Southie all they way to my building, but nothing came of that either.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    Usually I just have close calls with idiots not paying attention, which are actually probably more dangerous, but I've just felt like puking all day.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    tinyhonkshus:Usually I just have close calls with idiots not paying attention, which are actually probably more dangerous, but I've just felt like puking all day.

See, rather than that, I've had more the blood boiling kind of feeling all day. I keep having to remind myself to calm down. This may have been fueled by lack of food too. Eating now so hopefully I can get back to my normal self.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    I'm sorry to hear that, Marianna. Great job sticking up though.

Dumbasses were out today, for sure.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Just now my boss told me if we were in the Peruvian rainforest where he grew up, people would say the crazy lady who yelled at me was a witch for affecting my mood all dayi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    tinyhonkshus:Just now my boss told me if we were in the Peruvian rainforest where he grew up, people would say the crazy lady who yelled at me was a witch for affecting my mood all day

clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2015 edited

tinyhonkshus:Usually I just have close calls with idiots not paying attention, which are actually probably more dangerous, but I've just felt like puking all day.
    It's the encounters that you don't think are going to amount to anything that turn out to be the craziest.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    • CommentAuthorThreePete
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2015

pocky:
    It's the encounters that you don't think are going to amount to anything that turn out to be the craziest.

This should be stickied forever, it got me all riled up.

BigRing sounds like a big wank, and I could give two shits if he had the cure for cancer I would 100% antagonize him viciously in person.
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2015

Rode in shorts for the first time today. It was so nice. Also had great luck with the lights on my commute and made excellent time.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    I got wet today. Really, really wet.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaolo

chr|s sedition:I got wet today. Really, really wet.

Saw you riding up Elm St a couple hours ago during the heavy downpour.. (I was inside Foundry)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

THREE FLAT CHANGES this morning. Then later on I got a call from my bank telling me someone found my wallet! I had no idea it was missing. They gave me their number and I went to their office building, and they wouldn't take any payment as a thank you. They just said that they would hope someone would do the same thing for them. It was an interesting day."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    ^thats like half a years worth of flats in one day

No flats for you for 6 months (thats how it works right?)
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

I always have bad luck with flats on rainy days. Or maybe that's when I'm inclined to remember them most?Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    • CommentAuthormfratt
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2015

Flats come in threes :/
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2015 edited

Well, the first one was a staple in my sidewall, then I was in a rush to patch it so it didn't hold and was slowly going flat again, so I cleared up jobs and took my time patching it correctly, then I went flat again. That one was a mystery because the patch looked strong, so I just said "fuck it" and put a new toob in."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    got a tidal wave of water splashed on me by a passing car yesterday while i was doing this on my bike

(after assessing the risks of hidden potholes)

and wasn't sure if i was mad or amused, because i was already soaked anywaygotta go fast
    Had some clown pass me and the guy in front of me on the right at the BU bridge inbound. Caught up to him to let him know what a bonehead move that is. He said he knew. Not sure if that was him being apologetic or just stating the fact that he's aware of what he did. Sigh.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    • CommentAuthorben

Wore shorts again today. Shins froze. Had to basically sand off all the road grit from my legs.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    had some jackass yell at me from their car yesterday on my ride home from work (south huntington, moving south/uphill towards VA medical) to "move over", even though its a two lane road. holding his horn on me the entire time.

and i caught up with him at south hunt and perkins to make a left onto perkins, he swung around my right, stopped, yelled at me for "being in the middle of the road", so i snot rocketed his car and rode off
    • CommentAuthorThreePete

^ you are my spirit animal. I refuse to ride huntington/s. huntington passed brigham circle because people are boneheads especially at night.
    • CommentAuthormfratt
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2015 edited

fffens:had some jackass yell at me from their car yesterday on my ride home from work (south huntington, moving south/uphill towards VA medical) to "move over", even though its a two lane road. holding his horn on me the entire time.

and i caught up with him at south hunt and perkins to make a left onto perkins, he swung around my right, stopped, yelled at me for "being in the middle of the road", so i snot rocketed his car and rode off

Replace snot rocket with flipped mirror, and the same thing happened to me on Washington by Forest Hills back in the summer. Except the psychopath chased me down and *rammed* her car into me. I'm all for vigilante justice when its called for, but sometimes the risks just aren't worth it.

Needless to say, when I do fight back these days, I make sure I have a clean escape route and/or watch my back like a hawk.

There was a woman on Washington St in Rozzie one morning this week who damned near ran me into parked cars trying to squeeze into the bike lane past a left turning car (which she clearly did not have enough room for). I gave her a courtesy knock on the mirror (not aggressive, just like a knock knock, hi don't kill me) and squeezed past. She came up on me leaning on the horn. She kept speeding up next to me and hitting the brakes over and over. I kept looking back and gesturing for her to either come up next to me so we could talk or to just GTFO. But all she could do was to make inaudible cusses and pointing at her mirror (her hands were very animated). This went on for the better part of Rozzie Square to Forest Hills. Meanwhile, there are cars behind her beeping at her because she's just chilling off my corner. Eventually, I just start laughing, give up and ignore her. So, she gets more aggressive. She, several times, came up next to me, veered into the bike lane, and backed off. On her third try, I unclipped and nailed my cleat into her front quarter panel. She backed waaay off. Here comes the "Okay, now she's gonna kill me," so I'm looking for every possible escape route and looking back constantly to see what she's up to. After a few seconds of her processing what just happened, she drove past me at a normal speed and was gone. The best part of the whole story, though, was the woman driving behind her. After crazy woman left I gave an "Aye Dunno" gesture to the next car, who pulled up next to me, clapped her hands and gave me a double thumbs up while laughing her ass off. *Always* glad to make someone's morning that much more enjoyable.

But really, what is it with drivers thinking they can use their cars to scare / intimidate cyclists? If its your average commuter who *will* be scared, thats just fucked up. If its someone like me who has been through the business end of the meat grinder more times than she's proud of and just doesn't give a fuck, what are you actually trying to accomplish? Working on a bike has really taught me to not give a fuck about things that used to have me seeing red, but there are still those people who I want to strangle on pure principle.
    • CommentAuthorThreePete
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2015

I don't think I'm exactly a model cyclist when it comes to obeying the laws (I try to follow all of them). And often times I find myself turning with cars, riding the double lines, but often times I do the 'wrong' thing to avoid getting hit, crashing, or just all-around dirt-nappery. But having someone harass you and *ram* is something I would interpret as an attempt to cause harm and borderline assault. Maybe we should start strapping gopro's to our helmets and start taking license #s down (I know i've started to try and remember plates) and litigate!

Now I've never been chased down, or had anyone exhibit harmful behavior towards me but for some people that could be traumatizing. Maybe we should start printing stickers that we can smack on cars with like a huge middle finger or something juvenile that says in big comic sans "I'm a shitty drivery and a shittier person".
    • CommentAuthormfratt
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2015

Obeying a set of traffic laws designed for cars is just silly, and can be downright dangerous. At the very least, you'll be more in people's way than those scofflaw houligans, weaving though traffic and running reds. What people miss, though, is that "not following the (car-centric) rules of the road" does not give you an excuse to be an ass. We all have a shared responsibility, cyclist, driver or pedestrian, to be respectful of one another and to try not to be in anyone's way more than is necessary. As cyclists, we wind up on the shitty end of that more often than not. Its easy to get jaded and just wanna pump up your middle finger to everyone else. But there is a higher ground. So long as I'm not putting myself at risk, I will do what I can to be respectful and stay out of people's way. There's no reason to make people's lives any more stressful than they already are. If someone wants to get in a tizzy because I'm filtering stopped traffic or taking a clean line through a red light, that's their problem, not mine. Did you even have to so much as slow down because I was there? Probably not. So leave me alone.

Then there are the people who have got it coming. The drivers who will use their cars to intimidate/assault you, the pedestrians who will look right at you and then step out five feet in front of you, and even the people who by pure obliviousness put you at risk. There's a point where you've gotta fend for yourself, let someone know "thats not cool," and even fight back. Again, though, sometimes the higher ground is to just bite your tounge. I mean, when I've been doored/hooked/whatever, I've given the other person a ten or twenty second irate lecture about "paying the fuck attention," and then I let it go and ride away. The woman that rammed me, though, goddamn if I had caught her I would have wound up in jail. I was seeing red more than I ever had in my life. Buuuut it was a Sunday evening in Rozzie, she caught the green and was gone. All for the best, I guess.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2015 edited

^^ SCUL prints up bumper stickers that say "I park in the bike lane."

Ever since BigRingGate, though, I try to follow this policy:
    ::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    Today I had the pleasure of living out one of my own personal nightmares (as in, I have thought about it before and am actively scared of it) when I stopped at a light, and the dump truck directly in front of me started reversing. The good news is that I was off the bike and ready to run without even thinking about it. I immediately moved to the side to be visible in the rear-view, at which point the driver made eye contact and continued to back up. But eventually he stopped. So that was fun. And then he blew a red light. And then stalled out at the head of a line of cars.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    • CommentAuthorThreePete
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2015

My personal nightmare, is chugging along downhill into a woodchipper...oh whattayaknow there's a woodchipper on beacon st. this morning.
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2015

I skitched an MBTA bus down somerville ave this morning. It was like being 22 all over again.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    Im about to invest in a gopro. I've had way too many crazy incidents, especially lately, to go without one.

Yesterday, as I rode home from the beanpot crit race, I was riding in the bike lane (on the right hand side of the road), as i approached an intersection.
    The driver and I made eye contact, and then he flipped on his right turn signal, and then literally turned early, hopped the curb, and pinched me into the curb. No damage to my bike or myself, but it was like. wow. just wow. BMW with some young jackass, fwiw he definitely bottomed out his car hopping the curb and i hope he fucked his car up. this was at mt auburn & dewofle st.
    Bicycle copper out in Union Sq this morning, spring is here I guess.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    surprisefries:Bicycle copper out in Union Sq this morning, spring is here I guess.

There was a bike cop out on the beat last night downtown too.
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2015

Bike cop on Beacon just after washington/kirkland headed inbound in Somerville. Yelled "IT'S A STING!" as I rode by and he chuckled.

And then I got flipped off by the driver of a pickup truck who took a left from the cross street not just after his light went red, but after mine went green. How rude of me to go when I had the right of way!I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2015 edited

I was trying to cross a one way with a pedestrian (beach at Atlantic), but had to wait for this moron who was driving in reverse the wrong way and going too fast while honking, who then parked in the crosswalk. The pedestrian said "I hope he drives better in forwards than in reverse!" Just a small ped bonding moment to make up for earlier.

Also, I don't usually get bagels at Starbucks, but I'm eating one now and am horrified that their house cream cheese has the consistency of mayo."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2015 edited

Consistency of Mayonnaise
    (go to 22s for full effect - the forum won't let me deep link the video)ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    Tried to have good attitude today, failed.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy