Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

the wind....oh god the wind

also, my left strap broke.gotta go fast
    On the way home I was next to a big red pickup truck for a couple blocks (going same speed because traffic) and then this car started parallel parking in front of me and I was getting ready to merge to go around, and the big red pickup truck just stopped and let me go first. Thank you, pickup truck!i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    Red pickups are awesome, just ask MiniFries.

I didn't bring rain gear this morning but surprisingly didn't suffer too much on the ride home. I did however push it too hard speedwise which made me feel like crap 'cause I'm recovering from a minor plague.

Also I spit at a car for the first time and I feel bad about it. A little.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Yesterday a guy behind me snot-rocketed and I heard the noise and thought someone was spitting on mei mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    To be fair it was in front of the car, like clearly not an attempt to spit *on* it. But still, it was a substantial overreaction on my part.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Now picturing you as Jewish grandparenti mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    reminded me of a time when I was biking in Providence and had something small and hard thrown at me from a car and the guy going "fuck your bike" for no reason, then speeding offgotta go fast
    ^^YESDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    I was riding up Washington St this morning right by Quincy School and there was an 18-wheeler to my left...some dude coming in the other direction decided to try and beat him on a left turn and came within about 1cm of getting taken the fuck out by the truck and taking out my spinergy. Truck driver had fucking real good reflexes on both the brakes and the air horn...didn't realize trucks could stop that fast. Didn't get a good enough look at the truck to see the company name so I could write them a "yo your driver is good" letter unfortunately.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    I almost yelled at a lady today, but I didn't. Because saying "Seriously? SERIOUSLY?" sorta loud doesn't count. (it was one of those "I am smack-dab in the middle of this lane approaching a red, you can't also be here at the same ti-...Seriously?!" moments)i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2015

One of my favorite things when a driver is trying to pass and cut me off to a red is to stay at their window and stop on the line where I should, so they get stuck blocking the opposite lane and looking like an idiot. Only works on small two-ways, though."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    I did that/had that done to me in the heart of Longwood once.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2015

nice this morning. potholes mostly fixed. no wind.
    Beautiful out this AM. As 'Ol Nop said, lots of fixed potholes which is nice. The lights are already on at Fenway. Looks to be a beautiful opening day!clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    It is also opening day of me not having to bike home past Fenway on opening day!i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2015

I made the mistake of riding home past Fenway after a road ride on Saturday.

I always realize I've made a mistake when I ride home past Fenway after a road ride.

I always forget how horrible of a mistake it is to ride home past Fenway after a road ride.

Fenway might be my least favorite place in all of the city to ride.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    testosto-douche drivers, clueless suburban drivers, clueless suburban pedestrians, drunksi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthortone
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2015 edited

Rode in with 3 other cyclists from the relatively new Rt. 28 underpass in Ten Hills to Sullivan and beyond, which is the most other cyclists I've ever seen along that route. Hi-vis guy was the biggest numpty law breaker of us four, go figure. Towards the end of my ride, some bro stuck in traffic rolled down his backseat window to yell "Fuck you" at me, to which I politely responded "Fuck you toooo."We are the small axe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2015

What is the new 28 underpass?"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthortone
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2015 edited

I guess it's called the "Wellington undercarriage." It's the wooden boardwalk that run under Rt. 28 at the Mystic river hereWe are the small axe.
    • CommentAuthorben

tone:Hi-vis guy was the biggest nupty law breaker of us four, go figure.
    I don't know what nupty is, but this is often true. I think they believe they're super safe and don't do anything risky, but that drivers are crazy and dangerous. So they get hi-vis to protect themselves from the 'dangerous' drivers, then do stupid shit like run reds and shoal people because they are 'safe' and only make 'smart' decisions.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Just like how all the safety features in cars make people feel more comfortable doing risky things, or they drive closer to cyclists who are wearing helmets, because if something does happen they have all those "safety" features to save them, even if they really don't make much difference. Humans are dumb."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthortone

Whoops, typo that should have been numpty.We are the small axe.
    • CommentAuthorben

tone:Whoops, typo that should have been numpty.
    Didn't know that was a word either. Learn something new every day!I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthortone

I just learned it yesterday myself.We are the small axe.
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler

^^ why the shit is "Definition of numpty in English:
    noun (plural numpties)
    British informal
    A stupid or ineffectual person." in the american english subsection of the dictionary?
    NO ONE CARES ANYMURE

Does anyone else ride the Museum of Science bridge in the mornings? Have you, too, been closely passed in a single lane while at a red light by the same purple backpack kid? No helmet, earbuds in, no bar tape, one functioning brake and smashing from one red to the next like it's the last few minutes of Premium Dump? I'm passing you a block later, seated, taking the full lane next to you. don't stand up and mash that piece of shit too hard or it'll disintegrate.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Nah, but I did have a mbta bus try to ram me into the bridge further back on 28 the other day. Passed immediately and gave the driver a thumbs up, like real great driving dude, got your bus number. Maybe I'll report your ass."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    There were 3 or 4 piles of broken glass in the bike lane on Summer St. this morning, and it kinda looked intentional...like discrete piles of broken glass, brown clear and green mixed. And I saw another identical pile on Highland on the way home. what?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2015

I've been seeing a lot of piles of broken glass as well - two nights ago it was along Somerville, and the night before that on Willow.

Appeared to all be clear though, and so crushed and concentrated that I assumed they were car windows.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    ^^This used to happen on my street back in Lower Allston, too. I think it is recycling or garbage trucks - the piles would always show up the day of pick-up. It always looked like the piles were pretty uniform and consistent.
    Nice ride in from Brookline to BUMC. Only a couple cars acting as schmucks. Roads seemed ok re glass and debris. Hopefully the rain later today takes care of the last of it.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2015

thejackroller:^^This used to happen on my street back in Lower Allston, too. I think it is recycling or garbage trucks - the piles would always show up the day of pick-up. It always looked like the piles were pretty uniform and consistent.
    That actually aligns perfectly with the trash schedules of the streets I saw it on.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    I hadn't considered that it might be spilling out of the truck.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2015

It is gross and warm and humid and the whole city smells like a tailpipe. Or several thousand tailpipes."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Nandy:It is gross and warm and humid and the whole city smells like a tailpipe. Or several thousand tailpipes.

That's pretty spot on.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

I really felt bad for all the riders in full rain suits. So gross out."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthor•••

This morning on the swc I was riding behind a guy on a hubway for about a mile when suddenly the bike's chain just casually broke and fell off at low speed. feels bad man
    •••:This morning on the swc I was riding behind a guy on a hubway for about a mile when suddenly the bike's chain just casually broke and fell off at low speed. feels bad man

TOO MANY WATTS!!!!!!!clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    Who leaves shoes at the bike rack?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2015

Someone who changed into biking shoes and forgot to put their 'normal' ones in their bag.

(I say 'normal' because clogs are not normal.)I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2015

We are riding a tandem at work today, and a Boston cop on construction detail (as we were running a light) said, "whoa, cool!""life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Wind is downright brutal today!

Maybe some bad luck on my part (headwinds both on the way to and from Cambridge) but I was exerting max effort for minimal results all day, and it just seemed to get worse as the day went on. My final ride on the SWC to Forest Hills right now was an endurance challenge. I kinda need the workout but DAMN.
    Yeah I was excited it was still sunny and warm and dry, then walked outside and nearly had my beard blown off.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Much shoal.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    The Cat6 holeshot: not strictly a shoal, but equally annoying.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Much wind.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2015

Much sun, very pollution."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    oh, the wind.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    I read two different reports that it wasn't gonna rain. Took picnic bike. Rained. Oh well.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2015

Riding in the rain with all the Freds and all the people that decided to try out warm-but-not-perfect-weather biking for the first time must be some kind of torture, because today was fucking ridiculous.

Oh and I almost saw a dude pushing a stroller across the street get fucking creamed by a left-turning car.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries