Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Yesterday was way worse for noobs, they added like 10 minutes to my commute with their shoaling and then not being able to clip in/start rolling. Considering changing my route.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    I moved to an apartment in Porter Square (between Elm and Summer, just northeast of the Porter Square plaza), and I'm experimenting with new routes to work (in Fort Point)

so far it's been:

Elm -> Somerville Ave -> Medford\Gore Underpass -> Third St. -> Cambridge Ave -> North Point Park -> North Station -> Atlantic -> Congress
    Elm -> Somerville Ave -> Webster -> Cambridge Ave -> North Point Park -> North Station -> Atlantic -> Congress

and on the way home I climb up and over Summer just to have some sweat catharsis.

any other routes that I'm missing? I'm still generally expecting that Beacon will be a shitshow so am avoiding that, but wasn't sure if a route like Dane -> Calvin ->Dimick was like an underestimated ninja way that avoids all of the traffic on Webster or the narrowness and dicey pavement of Medford/Gore.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2015

This would be nice sitting in a park weather, but it's fucking gross riding all day and I'm burning to a crisp and need to drink more water."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    I actually didn't mind the drizzle at all this morning. The nubs haven't been too bad (slightly earlier commute helps I think), but the Cat6 riders are out in force. And if I'm running a little late the locker room at work suuucks.

Cris, what time are you up and over Summer St.? Keep an eye out for the Frieses!DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    I'm a 9-5'er so you'll probably see me out on Summer between 8/8:30 in the mornings or 6/7 in the evenings.

I'm also glad that Union Square Donuts is -just- inconvenient enough to not tempt me into stopping by there on my way to work, but I'm also TINSHFA on the new Petsi Pies on Cambridge Ave being right on my way to work.
    We're more like 8:30-4:30ers, but maybe our paths will cross someday!DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2015 edited

Passed a guy wearing a Radavist jersey this morning.

I didn't think people actually bought those things, let alone wore them outside the house.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    Followed a guy through Union riding a full suspension 26er in a full suit, dress shoes, and a camo helmet. I'm into it.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2015

They put signs up on every pole on Congress st with a bike symbol and the words "RIGHT LANE BIKES ONLY" and everyone's still driving right through it. I wish I'd stopped for a photo."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    That reminds me! I once said that the cycletrack on Western has a huge pole in the middle of it, and then redacted my statement. I am reinstating it. At the last intersection before Mem Drive, the path on the far side of the intersection jogs right, giving the impression that you should go right to get up the curb cut (joke's on you, though, because they built the whole cycletrack without any curbcuts, and then built little blacktop mounds for you to rumble up to the tune of a TUTM). But anyway, if you jog right, and then try to return to the main path, there is a big pole there.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2015

"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Nandy:

to be fair, i hate when they do this kind of shit with signs, its easily missable.

like those "yield to bikes during your turn" signs along commonwealth. they put the sign like 500ft before the intersection off a tree branch or something and its like 4" wide, and then every dumbass just turns anyway
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2015 edited

I'm pretty certain the at least a sizeable handful of drivers are fully aware and do it anyway because they don't give a fuck and are equally aware that they will never get a ticket for it.

and by "handful" I mean like 60% of drivers in those situations."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Nandy:I'm pretty certain the at least a sizeable handful of drivers are fully aware and do it anyway because they don't give a fuck and are equally aware that they will never get a ticket for it.

and by "handful" I mean like 60% of drivers in those situations.

Cops could make it rain tickets on that stretch of essex headed east towards south station, the "bus/bike only" lane
    spokenword:I moved to an apartment in Porter Square (between Elm and Summer, just northeast of the Porter Square plaza), and I'm experimenting with new routes to work (in Fort Point)

so far it's been:

Elm -> Somerville Ave -> Medford\Gore Underpass -> Third St. -> Cambridge Ave -> North Point Park -> North Station -> Atlantic -> Congress
    Elm -> Somerville Ave -> Webster -> Cambridge Ave -> North Point Park -> North Station -> Atlantic -> Congress

and on the way home I climb up and over Summer just to have some sweat catharsis.

any other routes that I'm missing? I'm still generally expecting that Beacon will be a shitshow so am avoiding that, but wasn't sure if a route like Dane -> Calvin ->Dimick was like an underestimated ninja way that avoids all of the traffic on Webster or the narrowness and dicey pavement of Medford/Gore.

Your first route is good except you should go up and over McGrath and avoid the shitshow that is the Medford/Gore underpass. Then skip the North point bottleneck/chance of the locks being open and just take the MOS to Lomansey Way, which shoots you to Merrimac, which turns into Congress.

Also bonus is if you hit the green at McGrath and Shaws (across from Discount Liquors) you can get seriously cookin' and hit all the greens until MOS drawbridgeNaaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    fffens:
    Nandy:I'm pretty certain the at least a sizeable handful of drivers are fully aware and do it anyway because they don't give a fuck and are equally aware that they will never get a ticket for it.

and by "handful" I mean like 60% of drivers in those situations.

Cops could make it rain tickets on that stretch of essex headed east towards south station, the "bus/bike only" lane

There's a sign there that says regular traffic can use the bus lane during construction. Unless this is not the part you mean.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2015

Construction seems to be done, but they aren't repainting the bike/bus symbols over the patches."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2015

I was delivering my last abcam to the medical area (I'd started with a pretty full bag, so now it's empty), and the guy was all "wow, are you riding a bike with all that stuff or walking?"
    "On a bike, these started in Cambridge"
    "WHOA, does your bike have a motor?!""life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    I wished I used more antibodies so I could order them all from abcam just 'cause you'd deliver them on your bike.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Also I have had a lot of success with abcam antibodies and IIRC they tend to be on the less expensive side.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2015 edited

From what I can figure out, they seem pretty competent and it's pretty decent work if they have a lot (especially right across the street to Kendall places). Side note: until recently they thought the almost copy box size boxes were "bike rate" when we rightly kept charging them oversize and they made a fuss I got breakaway to eat most of the difference, so they get charged small box rate for those and riders get paid better and breakaway loses, so that's good.

Well, breakaway still wins, but by a less disgusting margin than usual."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2015 edited

You guys, look how yonic this saddle is. Someone was riding this in front of me, but the center part was light gray, which made it way worse than this one looks.
    "life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Hey, did anyone else notice that there were like, soap suds on all the streets yesterday AM? What was that about?i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2015

rocked a wool shirt and gloves this morning.
    cool out, but little wind.

SWEET FIXIES!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2015 edited

Had a minor altercation with a livery in one of those Cadillac sedans (he kept driving way too fucking close and basically trying to hit me for a while, so I punched a side panel with my wimpy cycling arms so he called me a cunt and I went on my way), turned out he was one of those winners who ran a red and made an illegal u-turn at a super sketchy intersection to follow me and make threats of physical violence at me, but by then I was walking into a fancy building lobby. Got back down to the lobby after a delivery and saw an identical livery car circle the corner, then another one park nearby, which freaked me out, but they were different drivers and now I'm just going to be paranoid all day.

Then I rode a block away and a taxi cut over 4 lanes and nearly took me out, so I rode around and said "thanks a lot, buddy" and he was all "you're welcome" in a sincere, automatic tone. Sometimes that calm sarcasm doesn't work on oblivious dumbasses."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2015

:\
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2015

I'm usually a huge defender of fairweather commuters, but you fuckers really gotta learn not to pass cyclists on the right with no space and stop for peds when you've missed the light."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2015

To continue the pickup thing from the Cyclist Hit thread, I saw the funniest tool yesterday. DC plates, super huge truck with realtree camo decals on half of it, fucking gunning it down Boylston (and catching all the lights), blasting soft rock, with a lonely dude in big sunglasses nodding to it inside."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2015 edited

Also quoting from the cyclist hit thread but posting here so as not to amp the terror:
    surprisefries:This morning in the same spot I fell off my bike because I was starting up from a trackstand and my baggy shorts got caught on my cruiser bars.

Yes, this was pointed out in http://dandygoat.com/texas-bike-gangs-clash-leaving-nine-critically-offended: "According to witnesses, a member of MTBA started the brawl [after a Road Flyers member stated] that mountain bikers are social rejects who are too stupid to understand that it’s not safe to wear baggy pants when cycling".::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    Haha. I'm a social reject!DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2015

"It must be sooo nice for you out there" all day.

No. It's too hot and too humid and too sunny. It's just gross."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2015

Do you ever regret telling the NH driver who passed too close with their right turn signal on then half-turned, stopped, and waved you through then said "I'm a biker" when you told them how fucking dumb that was, "well be a better driver" rather than "you know spin machines aren't bikes, right?""life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    hahaha

i do now?

I had the closest call I've had in some time this morning. Almost right-hooked on Vassar, someone turning into one of the parking garages under the Stata Center. I'm not sure I could have avoided it if they hadn't seen me and stopped. Weirdly my heart rate didn't go up one bit. It would have been funny in a way though, to get hit right after photobombing some tourist's MIT architecture picture.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2015

Vassar's a shitshow. I almost got U-hooked by a very nice, very dumb lady a few weeks ago. Right across the street from where you nearly go right-hooked.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2015

4 june 2015.
    5.25 am.
    gloves and light woolens.

SWEET FIXIES.
    Apparently if you twinkle-toe your bike through the ped signal in Union Sq, the copper sitting there won't pull you over.

Also I was so irritated by an old dude taking up too much space in the locker room this morning I had to MS Paint it.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2015

Don't do that with Cambridge cops! I did that once and still got a ticket. :(Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    Had to lol tonight at the dude who tried to shoal me at the new intersection at Forest Hills, rode directly in front of cars coming at him at 45mph, and had to jump back quickly to avoid being vaporized. I was tempted to say "yeah dude that's why I'm stopped" but it was a long day and I could barely work up a snicker.

Also, can we talk about how that entire area - the end of the SWC path, the corners of Washington, New Washington and South, etc - has quickly gone from being one of the more annoying areas to bike through to being straight up HELL ON EARTH? So glad I'm moving out of that neighborhood in 2 months.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2015

^YES. I keep wanting to take a picture of that intersection and cram it right up the Bike Union's bunghole. How is an 8-lane street-level monstrosity supposed to be safer for bikes than the fucking overpass?Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    At the River path/JFK Bridge shitshow today, Kate and I were waiting to cross onto the path heading northbound...this woman and (presumably) her daughter decided that it would be best to NOT wait for the light and just continued riding directly across the crosswalk, holding up her hand to stop traffic. I sat there shaking my head...amazed no one honked...she came across and said to me without a shred of self-awareness "Why are you shaking your head?"

There were about 5-10 other cyclists waiting behind us, and then 2-3 on the side she had just come from...ugh.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    nerdo:^YES. I keep wanting to take a picture of that intersection and cram it right up the Bike Union's bunghole. How is an 8-lane street-level monstrosity supposed to be safer for bikes than the fucking overpass?

I assume they concentrated on the final plan and not the interim re-routing...Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2015

Had a thrilling encounter this morning. This is the email I sent to Cambridge Works HR / Operations Manager
    Heads up for any orange pickups today -- that guy was fuming.

"Hello,
    I am writing today to inform you of an extremely aggressive and threatening public works employee that I encountered this morning. I commute from Winter Hill to Downtown daily on my bicycle via Medford St, Gore St, to the Museum of Science Bridge and have done so for a year.
    Today around 8:30 am, I was passing through the intersection of Medford/Lambert St heading eastbound. This is a very congested road at that hour because of all the cars turning right to get onto Cambridge St. I was on the road riding carefully as to avoid the numerous potholes near the train tracks. Many cars were backed up to turn right onto Lambert St, so I go into the left lane to continue onto Gore St.

As I get through the light and I am approaching the next light at 6th Ave, a orange public works pick up truck begins revving his engine and honking his horn continuously about 3 feet behind me. We are in motion and approaching a red light. I turned to the truck to let him know I was aware of his presence and moved to the right as the light turned green,

The driver accelerated far too quickly and within a foot of me, holding down the horn and screaming out the window "You fucking asshole! Get outta the fucking road!" Seeing as he had a stop sign about 20 feet ahead, I caught up to him and asked what his problem was. He continued screaming and swearing "fucking faggot, get outta the fucking road". This is right in front of the Gold Star Mother's Park.

I told him I'm allowed to ride in the road, especially since the right-lane only was backed up. More colorful language poured from his mouth and his skidded through the next intersection at 5th ave. He parked his truck behind the Fire Station and got out. The driver's companion walked away quickly as soon as he exited the truck.

I pulled off the road across from him and made it clear that I was writing down his information. He stood staring at me the whole time with his arms crossed, continually telling me I'm "gunna get fucking killed". He pointed to his truck's number, then pointed at me, stared and tapped his forehead. He indicated that he would "remember" who I was.

It is unfortunate that these types of conflicts occur, but this man's violent tirade, hateful speech, reckless driving and potential threats made towards me are unacceptable. In addition, he is a public employee and to behave in this way while operating a city-provided and funded vehicle is reprehensible. Throughout the whole ordeal I was hoping a police car would pass by.

It is my hope that this man be held accountable for his inappropriate behavior and that he be educated on the rights of cyclists, pedestrians, and other motorists. He is a danger to all others on the road and a horrible representation of Public Works.

The vehicle in question was an orange pick up #16 with license plate M57-956. The driver was about 5'9" wearing a baseball cap and mustache.

I look forward to hearing the result of this letter.
    Thank you for your time,

Sincerely,
    "
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

GROSS."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

"Dear ______,
    Thank you for your letter. We are transferring this employee to the transportation department and he will spend his time riding a crappy mountain bike to write parking tickets.""life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorben

Sorry that happened, but it sounded like you handled it well and you wrote a good letter. Especially good to end it with a bit that puts the onus on them to act.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    Keep us posted on any update.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    Tyler that's awful!

and I just hope they don't stop reading at the word "bicycle".You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Maybe also pass it along to the BCU crowd if they ignore it."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler

Sorry to burst your negativity bubble ANDAY:P ---

Dear Tyler,

Thank you for contacting us about your interaction with our employee this morning. Such language and behavior is obviously totally unacceptable, and I am so sorry that you had this experience.

Deputy Commissioner John Nardone and I will be following up with the person involved, to ensure he understands the need for appropriate behavior as a representative of the City, as well as the rights of cyclists on our streets. Please do not hesitate to contact me, Deputy Commissioner Nardone, or Commissioner Owen O’Riordan if you would like to discuss further.

Our sincere apologies on behalf of the Department.

Sincerely,

---NAME OF CONTACT PERSON--

Assistant Commissioner for Administration

Cambridge Department of Public Works

Prompt and sincere. I don't expect a court trial or public quartering, but this type of response does a lot to eradicate the seething rage that's characterized all my interactions today after such an incident.
    Formal complaints sometimes feel like banging your head against a wall full of public-tenured employees, but sometimes going through the motions is more than just that.
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

I have the hugest justice boner right now."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."