Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2015

HIGH-FUCKIN-FIVE CAMBRIDGE! Now just hire some decent people in your police department."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

wait, there was justice served? i only saw an email. are emails justice now?
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

Perhaps not, but that email is much closer to justice than any "He was dangerous but didn't actually succeed in killing me" complaint has received in a while.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    • CommentAuthor•••

i wouldn't settle for less than a photo of the guy getting slapped in the face with a trout
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

I could really go for a video of this guy riding a sensible bike on his way to work on a small residential street getting harassed and threatened by some tool in large truck."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2015

"Hey, you passed pretty close just now"

"I went around you"

"yeah, with like half an inch of space"

"I went around you. I always go around bikers"

"uh, yeah, always go around them, not through them...""life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorObo
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2015

6kidz:I have the hugest justice boner right now.

ULock justiceI ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    Because bfixed first drew attention to the fact that the SWC could be a dangerous route at night, I wanted to post a reminder to be alert when riding there.

DCR has replaced some lights making the path much more visible in many spots, so that's a plus. But coming up the small incline leading to Jackson Sq at 11:45 tonight, I see a youngish kid (maybe 10 - 13 y.o.) on both sides of the path and a few more at the playground. One was standing partly in the path on the right and the other further to the left. Just as I pass, the kid on the left winds up and hits me in the back of the head with a baseball bat-sized branch. Somehow it wasn't enough to knock me off my bike, maybe because I half expected it. My helmet also absorbed much of the force.

Nothing became of it, and I don't know what these kids' intentions were, but it's definitely disheartening, and equally disconcerting.

This is the first actually threatening and violent encounter I've had on the path. I know people have had similar and worse encounters on the SWC. Due to the Basso theft reported in Cambridge and a few other negative encounters I've had in passing with surprisingly young kids, regrading bikes lately, I'm concerned.

If nothing else, please continue to ride cautiously and conscienciously here and in similar locations!
    • CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2015

Hopefully you reported it to the police.

Glad you made it through okay.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2015

Those kids will be lucky if the cop you reported this to catches them before they try it on someone who then proceeds to beat the living crap out of them, which I strongly suspect will happen very soon if they don't get caught immediately.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    thejackroller:Because bfixed first drew attention to the fact that the SWC could be a dangerous route at night, I wanted to post a reminder to be alert when riding there.

DCR has replaced some lights making the path much more visible in many spots, so that's a plus. But coming up the small incline leading to Jackson Sq at 11:45 tonight, I see a youngish kid (maybe 10 - 13 y.o.) on both sides of the path and a few more at the playground. One was standing partly in the path on the right and the other further to the left. Just as I pass, the kid on the left winds up and hits me in the back of the head with a baseball bat-sized branch. Somehow it wasn't enough to knock me off my bike, maybe because I half expected it. My helmet also absorbed much of the force.

Nothing became of it, and I don't know what these kids' intentions were, but it's definitely disheartening, and equally disconcerting.

This is the first actually threatening and violent encounter I've had on the path. I know people have had similar and worse encounters on the SWC. Due to the Basso theft reported in Cambridge and a few other negative encounters I've had in passing with surprisingly young kids, regrading bikes lately, I'm concerned.

If nothing else, please continue to ride cautiously and conscienciously here and in similar locations!

I've come back from the choad lair to report that at this exact same location, during daylight hours almost exactly a year ago, a group of kids standing about in a similar manner chucked a basketball at my chainset/front derailleur, and due to where they hit me, didnt actually knock me off my bike, but just shake up for a second.

I took the basketball from them, called the cops, and cops arrived about 30 minutes later and said 'what do you want me to do, do you want me to press charges'. I declined, and left with their basketball.

Not too long ago, on a friday evening around 6:00p (i remember cause it was the end of the week, "school just let out" kind of vibe) at the intersection of ruggles st where the tennis courts are/all the ruggles busses come out, another herd of jackass kids were fucking about, and this time a kid was on a bicycle.

As I approached from south/westbound, headed towards the intersection, I see the kid on the bike literally say outloud to his friends, hey guys check this out, and proceeds to pull his bike out infront of a rider headed in my direction and do the whole grab the rear brake and skid the back tire out in front of this older commuter.

The kid proceeds to do this whole "hey watch where youre going asshole, how did you not see me" routine, when a) hes a fucking shitty 8 year old child actor and b) i literally saw and heard him set that up.

I proceed to confront him like yo dont even start with that bullshit you just did that intentionally, and he proceeds to fake cry on command and pretend like im harassing him so his "older brother" comes out to try and confront me for "talking shit" to his "little brother". long story short, they keep shouting at me and grabbing at me and i swung my bike at them a few times to pushed them off, meanwhile, traffic at that intersection has basically stopped to watch all of this happen.

___

TLDR, kids along the SWC have been up to mischief, several reports of them throwing rocks and branches at people riding by. Until someone actually has the nerve to beat the shit out of these kids and is okay with getting stuck with assault charges, or, these kids like get an after school program where they can do productive and meaningful shit like learn an instrument or play sports or somethings besides being delinquent shits, this will continue to happen out of boredom and lack of adequate parental supervision.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2015

y'all are just racist.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2015

Or instead of the cops doing nothing (and telling them that assaulting cyclists is a-okay) or making you send children to the justice system, they could fucking take them to their parents and give them a speech about how wrong that is."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Nandy:Or instead of the cops doing nothing (and telling them that assaulting cyclists is a-okay) or making you send children to the justice system, they could fucking take them to their parents and give them a speech about how wrong that is.

True, my main intention was to have the cop at least spook the kids and have it be a moment they wouldnt forget (like, we almost got arrested...) but he couldnt give a fuck. but as nugget said, mostly just me being racist.
    I'd agree but...how do you find their parents?i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2015

In September you can refer them to me for individual therapy in a clinic setting."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

The threat of being referred to Ben is enough to put troubled youth on the path to righteousness
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Saw this awesome little kid probably no older than 7 or 8 riding by themselves on Broadway in Kendall. I kept a driver from intentionally right-hooking them, then went on to pick up something. Saw this kid again going through Harvard, they knew to stop behind a bus pulled over with signals on and was impressively competent (way more than a lot of adult commuters I see). Drivers seemed extra willing to straight up run this kid down, but I was able to block traffic so they could continue on Mass ave. I would totally volunteer to help kids like this, maybe start out with a group from a school all going to the same area."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Daaang. I am all for letting kids be independent, but dang.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

Nandy:I kept a driver from intentionally right-hooking them... Drivers seemed extra willing to straight up run this kid down

I am not normally a religious man, but I do hope that there's a very special hell for these people.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2015 edited

It was pretty ridiculous. Poor kid wasn't big or assertive enough to really command space on the road (like I just throw my arm out and force people to stop), so many drivers kept buzzing and cutting this kid off, like "well if I hit this kid everyone will just blame their parents, gotta try to scare them off the road so they grow up to hate bikes" and I'm all "WHAT THE FUCK, THIS IS A SMALL CHILD RIDING HOME FROM SCHOOL. GIVE THEM SOME DAMN SPACE, YOU HEARTLESS PRICKS". People suck."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

It also makes me sad because this is how it should be- kids of all ages riding on their own. It is insane how dangerous we've made these roads, and there's no outrage to take the simple-ass steps to make it better. What is wrong with people."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2015

In almost all other walks of like, the people with the strength and power in social situations are expected to defer to those who are more vulnerable. Yet somehow on the streets, the cars rule the road and anyone else they murder was 'being dumb' or 'in the way' or 'couldn't be seen.'I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2015

This whole shift in philosophy was consciously fabricated by the automakers' lobbies. I'm not sure if someone posted this here or if I saw it elsewhere, but this was a fascinating read: http://www.vox.com/2015/1/15/7551873/jaywalking-history::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    see also (99pi)

Somerville seems pretty interested in safety on Summer St., but only between Lowell and Porter...stop sign and speed limit sign with blinky lights, and they just re-striped and painted the bike lane, just on that block and a half. Our daycare people (on that block) said people were already driving in the bike lane AS THE WOMAN WAS PAINTING IT. Not surprising but almost impressive.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    So what's the deal with the SWC? How much of it is shut down? When I ride home from work within JP I only get on it at the final stretch from English High to Forest Hills, but that was completely shut down tonight :/
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2015

Me: there's a huge semi trailer parked on the sidewalk, completely blocking it, and there are signs saying it's a hollow sidewalk.

Boston cop: oh *does nothing*"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Nandy:Me: there's a huge semi trailer parked on the sidewalk, completely blocking it, and there are signs saying it's a hollow sidewalk.

Boston cop: oh *does nothing*

You: *unsurprised*clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler

^^ Are we talking about the Harrison Ext? I'm looking at it out the window!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Arch street at Milk! Not a big road!"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2015 edited

I had another cyclist take up my fight with an angry driver this morning. Except it wasn't even a fight I wanted to have, so it was kind of awkward.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    The one time I ever got into it with a driver, another biker spit on her car as he rode past. Swoon.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2015

Rode behind this guy for a bit on Friday. His frame, rear rack, and helmet were totally covered in aluminum foil.

And he had smiley face butt tassels.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    Safe from the influence of the US government and Major League Baseball.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorbuddymike
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2015

My car is in the shop, so I said fuck it and decided to ride to work up in Billerica from Somerville. Tookway shorter than expected. I took Broadway through Arlington and hit up the Minuteman until Bedford. From there I took the Bedford-Billerica Narrow Gauge path which is had pack dirt, gravel and sand in some spots. This path is a slow grade uphill for 4 miles. The last 3 miles were road. 17 miles, 1 hour and 11 minutes. The most direct route is sketchy with traffic in Burlington and woburn and very up and down with hills. The bike baths were either flat or had slow grade rises.
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2015

That's a pretty good time for covering that distance in city-ish riding.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

Wow, that sounds like a really fun commute that you should do more often.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

On Friday night I learned to ride *up* stairs on the fatbike. SO much easier than I thought it would be!::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorbuddymike

I am considering doing it from my back to back overnight shifts. It was actually a pretty sweet ride. There was barely anyone on the Narrow Gauge path. I rode it with 25's on a single speed. Recommendations are for fatter tires, but those handled fine.
    Took Beacon into Kendall this morning for shits and giggles, and to avoid Webster which is closed between Union and Prospect, and more of a shitshow than normal from Prospect to Cambridge.

Beacon may actually have been better the way Webster is right now. Which is pretty sad.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2015

I don't understand why Beacon, one of the busiest streets in Cambridge/Somerville, is such a fucking pile of shit. They can't at least repave it once every 4 years?I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorbuddymike

Beacon street has been shitty for years. The problem is that the plan to repave Beacon has been planned for years and is still, like most projects, has fallen behind. It hasn't been repaved because work is still being down to it, so the city wants to get all of the work done before the final resign and paving. I don't even drive my car down Beacon anymore.
    • CommentAuthorben

They could get that shit done in a summer if they actually cared - see Main Street in kendall where they ripped up both sides of the entire street, redid the piping underneath, and will have it complete in a matter of a few months. I bike it every day because the other options are a good deal less convenient, but I'll tell ya - trying to ride it one-handed while carrying an entire chocolate cream pie last night was a very trying experience.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

ben:trying to ride it one-handed while carrying an entire chocolate cream pie last night was a very trying experience.

I just imagined this, but my mental image also had you wearing a monocle and a tophat. And you had a chimpanzee perched on the back of your seat.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

joeyfresh:
    ben:trying to ride it one-handed while carrying an entire chocolate cream pie last night was a very trying experience.

I just imagined this, but my mental image also had you wearing a monocle and a tophat. And you had a chimpanzee perched on the back of your seat.

and then you went over your bars and the cream pie landed in the face of whoever is responsible for that mess of a road."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

ben:They could get that shit done in a summer if they actually cared - see Main Street in kendall where they ripped up both sides of the entire street, redid the piping underneath, and will have it complete in a matter of a few months. I bike it every day because the other options are a good deal less convenient, but I'll tell ya - trying to ride it one-handed while carrying an entire chocolate cream pie last night was a very trying experience.

oldben, connoisseur of public works projects."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    • CommentAuthorben

Just put me charge and I'll have every train running on time.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorben

Relatedly, Pyongyang has cycletracks but Beacon doesn't.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    I drove down Beacon last week. It was worse than being on a bike. I 100% refuse to go near that street until it is fixed.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    • CommentAuthorgc

ben:They could get that shit done in a summer if they actually cared - see Main Street in kendall where they ripped up both sides of the entire street, redid the piping underneath, and will have it complete in a matter of a few months.

Unfortunately it isn't that simple. Your example of where they ripped up both sides of main st and redid the piping isn't really relevant- the beacon st problem goes much deeper, and the remedy is much more involved.

I posted this link last year but here it is again: http://www.somervillema.gov/beaconstreet

ben:I don't understand why Beacon, one of the busiest streets in Cambridge/Somerville, is such a fucking pile of shit. They can't at least repave it once every 4 years?

I grew up locally and it's been terrible for decades. (see above link)gone