Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2015

Seanile Mick and I did our own 6packshuffle* on Friday. First one I'd gone on in half a decade. It was really fun. We should start doing them again.

I also tried a new route to work today. Took Oxford to Broadway through Harvard's quad to Kendall to avoid Beacon. It's about 12% longer, but is shaded, has better timed lights, and has almost no other cyclists on it. Highly recommended.

(*technically mine was a 4packshuffle but I'm an old lightweight)I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    i drank the beer you gave me too quickly, and what followed was a brief, ugly scene. but it was great to see you both!You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    We have been dealing with Beacon (in from Park) since Webster is closed / extra shitty,and Medford St is horrible. It actually hasn't been too awful. Except MrsFries got rear ended today by some chode, when she stopped for a ped in crosswalk. At least stayed up, and chode went down and got a little bloody.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2015

HAH, chode schooled. LEARN TO LOOK FOR PEDS, CHODE.

I had a scary moment earlier when some chose shoaled me in the drops, started going in the drops, then took his hands off the bars completely."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorbuddymike
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2015

ben:Seanile Mick and I did our own 6packshuffle* on Friday. First one I'd gone on in half a decade. It was really fun. We should start doing them again.

I also tried a new route to work today. Took Oxford to Broadway through Harvard's quad to Kendall to avoid Beacon. It's about 12% longer, but is shaded, has better timed lights, and has almost no other cyclists on it. Highly recommended.

(*technically mine was a 4packshuffle but I'm an old lightweight)

A few of the polo people people have done a few shuffles lately. I'd be down for a shuffle.
    I ended up behind a dude I see a lot in the locker room for a bit on the way home the other day, and he was in the drops, and I was like aww dude. Dude.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorThreePete
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2015

surprisefries:I ended up behind a dude I see a lot in the locker room for a bit on the way home the other day, and he was in the drops, and I was like aww dude. Dude.

With all the chode and shoal calling, I sometimes wonder if I'm 'That' guy.

Fries you still in kendall? I just started at a start-up here.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Kendall chodes unite! Anybody want to get lunch sometime? Or after-work beers?Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

A good way to make sure you're not a chode is to have cruiser bars on your commuter and when there's bike traffic go a reasonable speed and only pass when you're all up to speed and there's a comfortable amount of space (otherwise slow it down and enjoy the ride). Also stop for peds when necessary. A lot of noobs have some seriously dangerous tunnel vision. Just be a reasonable human being and you won't have to worry about accidentally being a chode."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorThreePete

I ride in my drops when I'm doing my best cavendish impression. I also do not have cruiser bars on my commuter :| I just like riding on the hoods too much.

^^ Nerdo, CBC? Flat Top Johnnies? State Park?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

The key is knowing that you don't have to be in the drops 100% of the time and not being a dbag."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    nerdo:Kendall chodes unite! Anybody want to get lunch sometime? Or after-work beers?

Yes. More beers than lunch, but yes.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    After work beers can be tough due to children but is doable, as is lunch.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Tonight I was DRIVING up Willow Ave in Somerville. The section I was on is 1-way, with a bike lane on the right side. Two cyclists were ahead of me, in the bike lane. As I approached them, I slowed down, and moved to the left to give them even more space. I then had to SLAM the brakes on because some other cyclist was riding without lights or reflectors, on the left side of the road, against traffic, on a one-way street. He popped-out from between cars about 15 feet in front of me. Considering how far I had moved to the left to give there other cyclists room, there is NO. CHANCE. IN. HELL. he could safely navigated between my car and the cars parked on the left side of the road. I was totally freaked. Could have killed the dude.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

What confuses the hell out of me is that pretty much all townie cyclists here salmon as a matter of course. I assume it has something to do with them being taught that was the safe way to ride in the street, when they were taught how to ride a bike as children. It's scary as fuck. I will routinely be trucking along in the bike lane and some townie-lookin' dude on a shitty department store bike will be trucking along in the bike lane RIGHT AT ME. I always hold my course and let them be the ones who merge into oncoming traffic, but sometimes it comes so close that I just slow down and brake and fucking stop before they go around me.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    ^ yup.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    Webster is open from Union to prospect, is shitty, is closed after prospect.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    I have been off riding recently, after a mild injury and some freakage out about a lady who tried to hit me on purpose in like April-ish. I'm trying out a new route & leaving the house before 7 to ride on calmer roads, but MAN, this morning it was like rush hour already at 7am.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2015

The streets were real busy today, and last night and this morning had really bad vibes in the air.

I'm generally super confident and comfortable on the bike but for some reason the last 24 hours I've been really nervous about being on the road with cars. Having someone cut a dangerous left in front of me and the passenger yell "FUCK YOU" when I stared at them for doing it last night didn't help.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorThreePete
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2015 edited

tiny: from your posts, do you ride through coolidge corner usually?

edit: anyone know if there are bike racks at the chestnut hill mall?
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

ThreePete:tiny: from your posts, do you ride through coolidge corner usually?

edit: anyone know if there are bike racks at the chestnut hill mall?

yes there are."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."

I used to, like 2011 until May/June-ish. That's where the lady tried to hit me.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

ben:The streets were real busy today, and last night and this morning had really bad vibes in the air.

I'm generally super confident and comfortable on the bike but for some reason the last 24 hours I've been really nervous about being on the road with cars. Having someone cut a dangerous left in front of me and the passenger yell "FUCK YOU" when I stared at them for doing it last night didn't help.

I also feel like people have been weird lately, and WAY MORE peds who look at the solid green light, then at you immediately approaching, then scowl and step right in front of you."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Nandy:
    I also feel like people have been weird lately, and WAY MORE peds who look at the solid green light, then at you immediately approaching, then scowl and step right in front of you.

I almost plowed into a BU student doing this this morning at Blanford and Comm. Green light, looks at it, looks at me coming towards them, steps into bike lane and stops since traffic is stopped. Literally had to slam on the brakes and came inches from hitting her head on. Lost it a little and hollered at her to move out of traffic and back on to the sidewalk until she has the signal. :-\clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    • CommentAuthorThreePete

tinyhonkshus:

I used to, like 2011 until May/June-ish. That's where the lady tried to hit me.

Is the likelihood of you running into this lady that high?

EPIC! Stratton:
    Nandy:
    I also feel like people have been weird lately, and WAY MORE peds who look at the solid green light, then at you immediately approaching, then scowl and step right in front of you.

I almost plowed into a BU student doing this this morning at Blanford and Comm. Green light, looks at it, looks at me coming towards them, steps into bike lane and stops since traffic is stopped. Literally had to slam on the brakes and came inches from hitting her head on. Lost it a little and hollered at her to move out of traffic and back on to the sidewalk until she has the signal. :-\

Every morning when I cross the BU bridge towards cambridge, I look at the sign painted "Look Left for Bicycles" or something to that effect, I chuckle because peds should look left for the cagers anyway. The more and more I think about the less I care about the cyclist's public perception.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

A lot of times I definitely sense that it's a "know your place and be submissive, I dare you to hit me because everyone will believe my story, because everyone I know hates cyclists" thing."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorThreePete

2016 election vote yes for futurama-style commute-tube-things.

I've been noticing (more than usual) when small children and baby strollers in crosswalks and has definitely made me slow down at crosswalks. If someone were to make eye contact with me and give me the "know your place" look and was being a total cock, I would consider rolling into them. (It'd have to be a guy though, because you're right nobody would believe me to start with...if i hit a lady? forget it).
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

oh absolutely, when you see people in crosswalks don't be a dick and slow down for them, even when you see them weaving through parked cars because you'll see them first. I mean dumbfucks who look you straight in the eyes and 100% know they don't have the right of way and are just being shitheads."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

But why the sexism? I think it's usually best not to collide with anyone, because these idiots are not worth getting yourself hurt over. Maybe even slow down and say something like, "do you need help crossing the street? Most people learn how to do that in kindergarten"."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    ThreePete:
    tinyhonkshus:

I used to, like 2011 until May/June-ish. That's where the lady tried to hit me.

Is the likelihood of you running into this lady that high?

a) That route is a shitshow east of Shawarma King anyway, that was just the last straw, and I'm also not wild about your implication that my decisions about my own comfort are wrong.

b) Not the point, but the likelihood of running into someone who travels the same route as you at the same time as you as part of their daily routine? actually kinda highi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    • CommentAuthorben

Nandy:Maybe even slow down and say something like, "do you need help crossing the street? Most people learn how to do that in kindergarten".
    I like this one.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

^^ the one time I ever came in contact with a car was that time they threw it in reverse and STEPPED on it on a small one way, they refused to give me their info and I was stupid busy so I let them go. I've seen that guy probably 4-5 times since then. He pretends to be all friendly now."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorThreePete
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2015 edited

tinyhonkshus:a) That route is a shitshow east of Shawarma King anyway, that was just the last straw, and I'm also not wild about your implication that my decisions about my own comfort are wrong.

b) Not the point, but the likelihood of running into someone who travels the same route as you at the same time as you as part of their daily routine? actually kinda high

Just to be clear, I wasn't saying that you're decision to choose an alternative route is wrong. I live on beacon and it's an unfortunate part of my commute every day. But to your point it's such a shit show and there are so many cars that I wouldn't be able to identify the cagers that ride beacon as a part of their regular commute, and vice versa. I had an unfortunate situation where a guy cut me off with inches of room to spare and I flipped him the bird and he chased me down and told me he rides the same route (in fort point) everyday and I should 'watch out'. I find the probability of the turd finding me slim - I don't think it's right that anyone should have to change driven by fear of safety.

Nandy:But why the sexism? I think it's usually best not to collide with anyone, because these idiots are not worth getting yourself hurt over. Maybe even slow down and say something like, "do you need help crossing the street? Most people learn how to do that in kindergarten".

OK. Cyclists' are perceived as lane-splitting, red-light running evil-doers and the unfortunate reality is that in today's 'neo-egalitarian' world, the public sentiment contrary to, still sways in favor of female victims than male victims. Do I agree with this? No, I advocate that everyone should be subject to the same standards and etc. I will admit however, (and this is probably sexism) that most (if not all) of the idiots that I encounter playing chicken in the crosswalks, taunting and tempting me to hit them happen to be males.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2015

...what? None of that even remotely reflects measurable facts or reality. Fwiw, the bad pedestrians I see everyday are an equal mix of genders. The only distinguishing factor seems to be that most of them appear to be wealthy."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

"the unfortunate reality is that in today's 'neo-egalitarian' world, the public sentiment contrary to, still sways in favor of female victims than male victims."

You haven't been reading MRA blogs, have you?"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorThreePete

^^Again, just my perception. I'm not speaking for everyone. Doesn't have to be measurable just an observation.

^Just googled MRA blogs...uh no.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Okay, good, I was worried for a minute, lol."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler

Nandy:...what? None of that even remotely reflects measurable facts or reality. Fwiw, the bad pedestrians I see everyday are an equal mix of genders. The only distinguishing factor seems to be that most of them appear to be wealthy.

don't undermine your gender equality arguments with slip slod classist remarks

people are people are people are people
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

okay, most have the common characteristic of lacking empathy for others and seem to have a strong feeling of self-importance and wear expensive things.

Confirmation bias is also playing a big part here. Pete is a little sexist, I think rich people shouldn't expect special treatment (or I ride in downtown Boston too much), etc."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Today was brutal though. Around 3:35 I was near the MOS and told my dispatcher, "I need to be at an appointment in JP at 4:30, so I need to be gone no later than 4" and they said, "sure, we'll get you out of here.......with a 1340 Boylston to Berkeley st." after a long-ass day of no food and 1 bottle of water.

The place I was going to was a hot glass class, so I had to stand next to giant ovens for the next 2 hours without collapsing."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorbuddymike
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2015

Has anyone taken the Minuteman to the Reformatory Branch Trail to get to Walden?
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2015 edited

Do you mean to the end of the Minuteman? If so, then yes. It's a cakewalk if you're either a) doing it on a weekday/in rain or b) cool with dodging strollers, runners, and wobbly freds.

If you hate people, then skip it. If you're not in a hurry and enjoy the cornucopia that is humanity in all its dipshit doofusy abundance, then go for it.

And I say that as someone who smiles at puppies and waves at babies.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorbuddymike
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2015

I work a rotating schedule, so this would be a weekday. I wouldn't touch the minuteman on a weekend. Weekdays it is a ghost town.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2015

Reformatory Branch Trail is fun as hell. Slippy on 23mm slicks when it's dry, though -- the dirt is quite sandy.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    • CommentAuthorThreePete
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2015 edited

Nandy:okay, most have the common characteristic of lacking empathy for others and seem to have a strong feeling of self-importance and wear expensive things.

Confirmation bias is also playing a big part here. Pete is a little sexist, I think rich people shouldn't expect special treatment (or I ride in downtown Boston too much), etc.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't slightly sexist. I think my upbringing has a lot to do with it. Always told to be courteous, polite, and generally chivalrous towards women. But I don't behave like that towards women because I think they're inferior and or because I think that women lack the capability to achieve as much as men. Anyways, I didn't come here to open a can of worms and launch a discussion about sexes and etc.

Fact: I treat women differently than I treat men because I grew up being taught to treat women with respect and to employ better manners around them.

Point is that, people that I've encountered that play chicken with cyclist in crosswalks happen to be predominantly males. Also, the gentleman that I played chicken with at beacon and harvard jumped out of a brooks brothers catalogue, and I swore he was looking up his trust information on his phone before he looked up and saw me coming.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

Testosterone is a helluva drug.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    • CommentAuthorObo

This just in: ThreePete hates males since he doesn't treat them with respect. I applaud your life choicesI ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    • CommentAuthorThreePete

News Flash: ThreePete hates everyone. Fuck everybody, amen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

I've been thinking about the effects of hormones on the dickish behavior that predominates in men and how transmen report changes in their emotional states (higher levels of aggression and etc) when they go on T. Pete's observations make sense to me.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    • CommentAuthorThreePete

Transmen or anyone for that matter taking steroids or test products typically experience 'roid rage'.