Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2015

Misandry!"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

Miss Nandry.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

That's Mrs., because of all the old misogynist linguistic/cultural shit about marriage."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

I was always struck by the appearance of the abbreviation "Mrs", which seemed like a possessive form: "Mr's." Though, of course, "missus" is a colloquial form of "mistress," which is the real root of the abbreviation "Mrs." Still. There are many other linguistic/cultural misogynies having to do with marriage.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

None of you are any fun.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    My bf has been bike commuting for the past few months and I worry he may be commuting like an asshole. How can I be sure?
    Also, he had his first JRA accident all by himself, so I am hoping he will slow down a little. It's all fun and games sprinting through traffic til, ya know.YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    • CommentAuthortristan

post in the work thread that youll pay a six pack and a sandwich to someone to tail him on his commute. Itll be very mission impossible.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

What the hell's a JRA accident?Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2015 edited

Joeyfresh, I am so glad you're back on the internet.

^^^ sometimes Nat does some dumbass rookie shit when I'm riding with him and I tell him he's a fucking idiot but also try to explain why I thought that was dumb and why I do something different."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    nerdo:What the hell's a JRA accident?

just riding alongYO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    tristan:post in the work thread that youll pay a six pack and a sandwich to someone to tail him on his commute. Itll be very mission impossible.

good ideaYO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler

There are so many ding dongs commuting everyday. My cortisol is coming out my seatpost by the time I make my home stretch.
    Hey design babies -- let's make little 3x3 double sided DOs / DON'Ts to hand out to offenders.
    Items to include
    1. shoaling
    2. passing so close I can smell your waning deodorant
    3. signals
    4. waiting your turn at lights
    5. weaving through rivers of peds
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Sometimes people just need to reason through the consequences of their actions. Like, "why cut off that pedestrian? That's more likely to get you hurt, it makes them feel shitty, pedestrians are unpredictable, etc. It's just more practical to go behind them". Maybe they just weren't thinking about what they were doing."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorThreePete

Do:
    1. Shoal
    2. Passing so close, and wearing extra curry deodorant
    3. Weave through rivers of brooks brothers wearing mofos
    4. Wear all black and with no reflective gear or lights

Don't:
    1. Signal
    2. Wait your turn at lights
    3. Use bike lights
    4. Wear a helmet

Please don't make this. The fear of riding and getting one of these is very real.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Ride around enough and I'll bet you'll get over all that eventually. Go hang out with some messengers, the ones who've been around for a few years are the smartest, safest riders around. Except for Kevin Porter, but he's made of luck and skill."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler

what? hanging around messengers isn't going to make me stop hating the constant pass/repass between lights with the weiner on a teal bianchi in flip flops every damn morning

it's the mentality of traffic in the city. no one gives a fuck about laws (whatever, we've all talked about how it's safer to break it in some instances). But, additionally, no one gives a fuck about anybody else on the road. Cyclists and motorists and peds are ALL guilty as groups.
    Six years ago, I think it was reasonable for a biker to say "fuck you all!" and keep head down weaving traffic (assuming bodily risk to oneself). Now, there's a lot more people out there and learning how to cycle in the city. They need role models or instruction, lest we hand over the pavement to a new generation of creaky-chained, u-lock handlebar'd shoalers.
    I've just suggested that the knowledgeable ones who may have intentions of improving the daily ride inform those who are perhaps unknowingly committing biking faux-pas, or worse, being reckless and dangerous.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

Nandy:Joeyfresh, I am so glad you're back on the internet.

Me too. <3 you too.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    Nandy: Except for Kevin Porter, but he's made of luck and skill.

Srsly his bones are adamantium at this pointYO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2015 edited

^^^ No, I mean that people who ride in this traffic A LOT, like as full time employment for years, find the patterns and know how to do it well. You get more courteous because you want people to behave like that around you, you look out for people, you know how to flow in traffic and keep everyone moving smoothly. It's the less experienced people who are all "I gotta do whatever I can at any cost to get there!" and get that selfish tunnel vision.

Also, that wasn't directed to you, Tyler."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Also, old people mellow out. Except for KP, as noted.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    I see KP a lot of days as I'm riding home from work and I always nod even though he has no idea who I am.

Just try gearing way down or like riding a hubway for a while so you have to go slowly, IMO it kinda forces you to chill and I find you absorb more of the big picture that way. Also riding nobr akes for a while (once i was fully fixed-proficient) really helped me because I knew I had to ride more conservatively and really fucking pay attention to everything.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorMJ

surprisefries:I see KP a lot of days as I'm riding home from work and I always nod even though he has no idea who I am.

Just try gearing way down or like riding a hubway for a while so you have to go slowly, IMO it kinda forces you to chill and I find you absorb more of the big picture that way. Also riding nobr akes for a while (once i was fully fixed-proficient) really helped me because I knew I had to ride more conservatively and really fucking pay attention to everything.

Have to agree on the brakeless part, I haven't had any accidents since swapping my bikes from single speed to fixed over the past year.

Within a few weeks on the newer geared bike that I bought recently, I ended up in two minor swipes just because of how much I was relying on the brakes to take care of me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop

great good fun today!! kirkland street cambridge is now WHEEEEE!!

SWEET FIXIES!!!!!
    tyler:what? hanging around messengers isn't going to make me stop hating the constant pass/repass between lights with the weiner on a teal bianchi in flip flops every damn morning

OH GOD THE FLIPFLOPS I CAN'Ti mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2015

Mrs. Pocky came very close to losing a couple of toes as a child because she was wearing jelly sandals while riding as the second passenger on a banana seat, and her foot got caught in the spokes.

And then last month, her brother's kid for some reason decided to put his feet back Superman style while riding stoker on the tandem with me, and jammed one foot into the spokes.
    The rear wheel locked up and skidded, he screamed in pain, and Jason had flashbacks of his six-year-old self running into the house after he saw his sister's foot in the spokes, screaming "We need ice! And towels!" Fortunately, Isaac was wearing sneakers and came out of this experience with nothing but a bruise.

This occurred only moments after the 3-year old, Devon, announced "I'm stuck!" and we looked around, horrified, to find that his pinky finger was trapped between the chain and the inner space between two sprockets of the chainring on his trail-a-bike. We asked him "How did you you do that?" and he said "I put my finger here and I turned this [the crank]." Fortunately, his finger was tiny enough that it fit in there without harm, and there was enough chain slack that I was able to pull the chain part way away from the chainring and he pulled his finger back out.

Moral of this story: Kids are stupid. Teach them to wear study shoes and not stick their appendages in the moving parts of bicycles.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Is anybody here old enough to remember the guy who lost part of a finger by getting it caught between his cog and chain (fixed gear)? Shit was gnarly.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Yep, cats forever I think. Kids are dumb."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2015

Rode through what I assumed was a puddle of sprinkler run-off.

It was a puddle of garbage truck run-off. Splattered all over my legs.

Spent the next 5 minutes fighting the urge to vomit.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Always avoid dry-weather puddles.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    Today's ride included two big trucks giving way to me and Kate while riding up mass Ave. The first was a cab pulled over to the curb and a big moving truck slowed to let us pull into the lane and pass. The second was a big Coca-Cola ten wheeler that waved me on a left turn even though he had the right of way.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    • CommentAuthorben

nerdo:Always avoid dry-weather puddles.
    Agreed. But it came up quickly and I had a bike behind me (couldn't stop) and a car to the left of me (so couldn't go around it).I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Bunny hop! Bonus: you look sweet and don't splash garbage water all over the face of the poor schlump following you.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    • CommentAuthorben

I can't bunny hop for 15 feet, which is about how far it had been tracked along the road by cars.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

I imagine it somewhat like this:
    ::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus

I know your commuter has fenders, still had to post it.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2015

Yeah it does, but not full :(I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    surprisefries:
    I know your commuter has fenders, still had to post it.

Does this mean it's cool to run with out fenders if it's a Tri bike? You know, because peeing on bikes.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2015

Today's sock-wringing deluge reminded me of how lucky we've been to not have rain during commuting hours for the past few weeks.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

I drove. Fuck this shit.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    ^^+1

Fortunately being on daycare schedule meant we rode in the break between some rain and pouring rain. Unfortunately I chose to wear a rain jacket and I don't have fenders, so wet/dirty on the bottom, sweaty up top.

Now that I have a shower at work, I'm almost not sure how I rode all summer before without one. My poor former coworkers.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

^Shower at work is amazing. I miss it. There is one shower I can get to on the MIT campus, but sharing a shower with that many people creeps me out.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    how do you guys do towels?i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

I just carried one with me. Camping towels are small and dry quickly.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    where do you hang it to dry? your cubicle?i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    yea. i pulled a metal shelf in my cube away from the wall by about 8 inches. behind which i have my towel hanging from the top (weighted by a stapler), and two hangers with magnetic clips holding the hook part that hang my jersey & bibs. then i point my fan at them and theyre dry in an hour. nobody sees anything, and the only stinky part is my shoes.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2015

In my current office, I just hang everything on an abandoned coat rack that I scavenged from the hallway. Not ideal, because that means everything is in plain sight, but the office is way too small for another solution.

In my old office, there was a coat closet near the shower room that only two or three people used, so I just hung everything there on a few hangers. In other offices, there was usually an out of the way storage area that I could carve a corner out of. And a fan really helps, as Sean says.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    Um, it's big pharma, we have towel service.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    surprisefries:Um, it's big pharma, we have towel service.

And by this he means that they employ people to actually towel him try (so he doesn't have to do it himself).clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    • CommentAuthorThreePete
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2015

EPIC! Stratton:

And by this he means that they employ people to actually towel him try (so he doesn't have to do it himself).

Surprised they don't have people there who pat you dry too.
    ThreePete:
    EPIC! Stratton:

And by this he means that they employ people to actually towel him try (so he doesn't have to do it himself).

Surprised they don't have people there who pat you dry too.

Man, I wish. I work at a school of med. We have to find left over bagels from conferences if we want to eat!clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!