Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2015

After my epic going away party from BU, I was so drunk I left my bike locked in front of the Sunset and Paul and John helped me stagger to a cab to go the half mile back to my office, where I promptly passed out on the flip-n'-fuck foam chair/bed that I had inherited from my former coworker and the only one who'd ever slept on it previously was Finnegan.

The next morning, my last day there, I actually had to work, so for the first time in 11 years at BU, I used the shower in the basement of the Photonics building. I didn't bring a towel so I had to dry myself with paper towels.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2015

^I've done the paper towel dry-off. Sucks when you forget your towel!Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    I always carry one of those super-absorbent camping towels in my bag.

And who says that's not what I meant by towel service?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorObo
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2015

I've never raced cross, but I can imagine some courses are easier than commuting through some of these somerville and cambridge street conditions. brings a new meaning to cat6I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2015 edited

Huh? No comprendo.
    nvm, didn't see the play button because work screen is very whiteWe'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorkossmonaut
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2015

i was in my car and saw u get pulled over. u were in the fixed giant frame?
    • CommentAuthorbon gripper

kossmonaut:i was in my car and saw u get pulled over. u were in the fixed giant frame?

yes, any comment?
    •  
      CommentAuthorkossmonaut

bon gripper:any comment?

lol
    kossmonaut:
    bon gripper:any comment?

lol

Aight then, was just curious to know your thoughts on the sting
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2015

Those stings are unfortunately pretty common in certain intersections, though I've never seen one in Coolidge Corner. Somewhere there's a police thread, I believe, that tracks where these stings are commonly set up (like in Central Square, Cambridge etc.).Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2015

Wet.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2015

Just how we like you.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    Holy shitballs, traffic was backed up from Union Sq to 1 Kendall during the evening commute, maybe farther. Got briefly stuck behind a bus on Webster and a woman rolls up next to me and says, "Guess w'e're stuck!" And I'm all liiiiiike wellll, nobody's coming the other way on the road, so SEEYA." and rode on the wrong side. Also I saw a pickup truck doing this, and then saw the pickup truck get pulled over by a motorcycle cop. suckaaa.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2015

There was no traffic yesterday morning. Yesterday evening? Fucking looked like everyone was trying to outrun Hurricane Joaquin.

Was stopped at the Broadway/Galileo light in Kendall waiting for a green (there was a train crossing so it was a really long wait). Dude in kit on a Ti bike weaved through traffic to get in front of everyone waiting, and was anxiously waiting trying to gun the light. He then rode really slowly when the light went green.

I passed him ("Passing on your left") before getting stuck behind a senior citizen. We both stopped at the next red. Kitted Out Man passed us on the right to get in front of us, only to again ride slowly. As I passed - a second time - I asked, "Why would you pass us only to ride really slowly again?" To which he replied "I'm just doin' me, man."

Didn't see him pass me after that point though.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    That's like the perfect answer. What do you say to that but, "right on"?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2015

Switched from 28mm to 35mm tires this morning and it feels like riding on clouds. I also updated my shifters and now have better braking power and they're much more comfortable. A+ commute, will do again.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    ben:To which he replied "I'm just doin' me, man."

ahahahh, reminded me of an old college roommate who would make it a point to slam the door as hard as possible every time he left / came in, even when i was sleeping or trying to concentrate on something, and when i asked him why he did that he said "oh, it's my style."

been commuting from watertown to south station with my gf for work but she's been riding a coaster brake bike with cruiser bars, and generally i make it a point to go at a reasonable pace when i'm riding with other people but she was having an especially hard time, decided to replace the heavy coaster brake wheel with a freewheel i got off a craigslist find, replaced her cruiser bars with some pista drops, installed brakes etc. Today she went flying and I couldn't stop laughing trying to keep up with her, it was beautifulgotta go fast
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Blasphemy. CRUISER BARS 4 LYFE."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    I hate drops as much as the next tiny hand haver, but coaster brakes scare the shit out of me. IIRC, the girl who got killed a) around the corner from my place, b) the year I started biking, was hit at the bottom of a hill while riding coaster brakes - not that I have any proof they were at fault, but, you know, feels.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

^Jesus. That's terrifying, and horrible.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorfixiefriend
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2015 edited

could imagine the same sort of tragedy happening to someone locking their rear and losing traction with caliper brakes, or skidding on a fixed, on a downhill- i havent run front brakes in a while, but i know a good amount of your stopping power comes from it

edit:

UNLESS this shit: "Coaster brakes also do not have sufficient heat dissipation for use on long descents, a characteristic made legendary through events such as the 'Repack Downhill' race, where riders almost certainly would need to repack their coaster brakes after the grease melted or smoked due to the heat from lengthy downhill runs." (from wiki lol)

OR, chain popped offgotta go fast
    ^That was my thinking at the time. All brakes lose power as they get really heated up but as I understand it coaster brakes are particularly bad.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2015

I feel like Thor Hushovd flying down Beacon Street now. Sooooooooooooooo smooth.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorThreePete
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2015

Oh man, going from a steel frame with cruisers and 37s to aluminum "track" frame with risers and 25s...even a "smooth" road feels rough. Am I an old now? Did I ruin myself for fast cool sweet fixies by buying Dora's Surly?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2015

I got on my road bike on Tuesday for the first time in 5 months, and was amaaaaaazed at how fast 25s felt. Also rough. Very rough.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    Scene: I am stopped at Harvard ave and Beacon, Coolidge Corner, facing north on Harvard, stopped at the light, in the left hand lane (bus in the right). Watched a guy with mess-like gear and a Somervelo cap on with a beard on a geared bike turn right from Beacon onto Harvard (heading south) then immediately do a quick u-turn like move after the turn to try to pull up next to me and join my direction.

A car was right behind him making the right from Beacon to Harvard, as well as another car behind that car. As soon he made the the u-turn move, the car following him making the right slammed on their brakes to avoid hitting him, and the other car rear ended that car, meanwhile, the rider is still blocking the harvard southbound lanes at this point, and never actually completed the uturn to head north on harvard.

The bus to the right of me opens their window and starts yelling at the rider, as well as the driver of the car that got rear ended. Technically, the guy who rear ended her is at fault, if you rear end someone, it's their fault 100% of the time, but it presents a legal quandary im unsure about, im 95% sure you cant just bust a uturn immediately following a right like that, plus the driver was definitely going to hit him if she didnt stop.

it was a mess, the 2nd cars radiator cracked and was leaking everywhere with steam flying out. and I was like yeah..... im just gonna go to work now....

NB: i almost always commute with a camera on my bars to document this kind of shit (i see it all the time), and naturally, every time i dont, stuff like this happens.
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2015

Did you consider staying to offer your contact info as a witness?

The move by the biker sounds like something I would do (that type of right-turn-to-make-a-left-turn), but not stopped super fast and dangerously like that. What did the rider do when the accident happened?I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    ben:Did you consider staying to offer your contact info as a witness?

The move by the biker sounds like something I would do (that type of right-turn-to-make-a-left-turn), but not stopped super fast and dangerously like that. What did the rider do when the accident happened?

As I left, the rider was still standing in the southbound Harvard Ave lanes, the light had changed and the Brookline Fire Dept truck behind me blasted its horn so I just rode. There were a ton of witnesses on the scene. If anybody knows the guy (heard about the accident, etc) on the bike, let me know, I'd be happy to recount the event to whomever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2015 edited

So, IANAL, but as I understand it, the driver who performed the rear-ending is 100% at-fault for the collision with the driver in front of him. The bicyclist is liable for a traffic violation for pulling that move, but all road users are supposed to leave enough room between each other for the speed they're going and pay enough attention to what's going on around them that they can stop on short notice without hitting something. If the first driver was able to stop in time to avoid hitting the cyclist and the second driver was unable to stop in time to avoid hitting the first driver, then the second driver is squarely at fault for the collision with the first driver, because they were either going too fast, keeping too close, or not paying attention.

Based on the description it sounds like the cyclist probably deserves to be written up for a traffic violation, but I suspect it's impossible for the second driver's insurance to try to claim that the cost of the damage to the first driver's car could be passed on to the cyclist.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    pocky:So, IANAL, but as I understand it, the driver who performed the rear-ending is 100% at-fault for the collision with the driver in front of him. The bicyclist is liable for a traffic violation for pulling that move, but all road users are supposed to leave enough room between each other for the speed they're going and pay enough attention to what's going on around them that they can stop on short notice without hitting something. If the first driver was able to stop in time to avoid hitting the cyclist and the second driver was unable to stop in time to avoid hitting the first driver, then the second driver is squarely at fault for the collision with the first driver, because they were either going too fast, keeping too close, or not paying attention.

Based on the description it sounds like the cyclist probably deserves to be written up for a traffic violation, but I suspect it's impossible for the second driver's insurance to try to claim that the cost of the damage to the first driver's car could be passed on to the cyclist.

That's more or less what I thought, to me, a rear ending is always the fault of not leaving enough room/not paying attention, though I don't know what exceptions are made, if any, and what circumstances are required. All I know if that rider probably got some severe earfulls from multiple people.
    when you do that swoop move you gotta go across then swoop, not swoop while you're in the path of traffic, especially at that intersection where one turn lane turns into two lanes - def a douche move

that said, you should NOT be going so fast through that turn that you can't stop in time.

also when that light on Beacon turns green it's a ped signal across Harvard, so I bet everyone was being an asshole.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    tinyhonkshus:when you do that swoop move you gotta go across then swoop, not swoop while you're in the path of traffic, especially at that intersection where one turn lane turns into two lanes - def a douche move

that said, you should NOT be going so fast through that turn that you can't stop in time.

also when that light on Beacon turns green it's a ped signal across Harvard, so I bet everyone was being an asshole.

Whenever I pull that right then uturn to left move, I always make the full right and check my surroundings to make sure its safe before busting the U, i have to do this all the time at the intersection where I live, specifically to avoid being hit by vehicles behind me that may have also turned. Or, go slightly straight so youre basically riding on the crosswalk path, and go the far corner/bike lane area. traffic is already stopped there so.
    yeah, I do the latter onei mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2015

That's rule #1 - double check before you change your line."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Is it just me or is this road salt blowing up in the wind burning the tip of my tongue?somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2016

Just you. I wore a face mask.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorkossmonaut

everything tastes like salt today
    •  
      CommentAuthorBuckley!

Face masks are for children on the bunny hill. My facial hair tastes like salt. Life it misery. Deal with it.The kid's gotta learn that the game never lets up.
    Buckley!:Face masks are for children on the bunny hill. My facial hair tastes like salt. Life it misery. Deal with it.

QFTDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Yesterday I almost wiped out because I took a corner nice and wide in case the road was slippery. Not thinking that once I got out of the travel lane, it was just all ice.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2016

yesterday i was driving and saw some big brown blobs down the road. i was ruling out various options (cow, deer, pronghorn, moose) as i got closer, until eventually i was close enough to see that, despite how late in the year it was, it was two elk still in the area, walking unhurriedly across the street. felt kinda like a scene from a ghibli movie.

today i was driving and saw another brown blob, this one lower down. again, ruling out the options, getting closer and closer with no fucking idea what it could be, but scootching to the far side of the road so that when whatever-it-was stood up and ran it wouldn't take me out. i got even closer, and assumed it was dead because it still hadn't moved. when my eyes finally made sense of what the fuck i was seeing, it was close enough that he actually heard me say "oh it's a person!" - was just a man all in brown, squatting facing away from the road rummaging in his backpack, a dozen miles from the nearest car/building.
    Cops and ambulance on Webster half an hour or so ago, couldn't tell if it was a bike, but based on car position it may have been a right hook scenario. I know several of us ride that way, everyone good?

Also there's a cop at Hampshire and Broadway, but he seems mostly concerned with cars making illegal turns on red. Yay!DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    There's a big pile of broken glass in the bike lane /road by El Potro in Union Sq. Looks like car safely glass but still, keep an eye out.

ETA I did report it to 311.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2016

^Thanks for the heads up! Did they ask you for your personal info? I called to report a syringe by the gutter near central/highland a few months back, and they asked for so much of my information I got a little bit uncomfortable..
    I used the app. Which means they probably have it all now. In hindsight I should have just called.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Today I was riding home, with a 2-way radio clipped on my strap (long story). I pulled a minorly illegal move crossing Cambridge St from Medeiros to Warren, and within seconds I hear from the radio, "you wanna get caught by TWO cops?" So that was a hilarious and creepy coincidence, probably.

Sadly there was traffic so I couldn't really say anything back.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2016

i will never learn how to embed things here, but i made a dumb video of my bike ride yesterday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7623ejYiLqk
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2016

i rode my SWEET FIXIE the other day!!!!