Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2018

please don't get found in a snowbank in april
    ^ha!

I rode to work this AM but it's just flurries. Not sure what time I'll be heading home but I brought an extra layer and crampons in case I need to walk part of it.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    from our CEO:

I know many of us were planning to come in tomorrow only to see if Evan would ride his bike in 10-15 inches of snow. My guess is he would. I’d like to please caution everyone to be safe on the roads and to strongly suggest that everyone work from home tomorrow.

First winter working with several people at my company so I'm still in in the "Yes, I rode today. Yes, I rode today. Yes, I rode today too." phase.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2018

sounds like you missed out on a good day to work in pjs with a giant mug of hot chocolate, but, yknow, good on ya for at least being prepared
    But school is closed so more like work in pjs with a giant mug of hot chocolate and a 5 year old going "Papa? Papa? Hey Papa? Paaaaapaaaaaaa....." all day.

ETA MrsFries is home since her work is closed. We got told to work from home if possible, but a bunch of what I need to finish this week is lab work.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Yah, I rode in and my colleagues (who all worked from home today) were shocked. Not looking forward to the ride home!Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

100% chance of assholes driving with a foot+ high wall of snow on their roof blowing into your face tomorrow morning
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Did you all see that fucking ice river in seaport?! Damn.

It's been pretty easy in Buffalo. Cold, but not bad. Less snow than you. People here are such whiners."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    ^^Ugh f'sho. Fortunately I finished my lab work yesterday and am working from home today.

^Yeah, Sean said it was like 4 feet, but only several inches when he rode through after work.

One of my brothers-in-law is from near Erie where they got 5ft of snow in a couple days. Though his parents "only" got like 3 feet. That lake effect is nutso.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2018

Slushy AF today, nothing else to report. My ride home last night at 4:30ish pm, however, looked like this:

1. Back Bay: Terrifying. Wind tunnel effect magnified the already-treacherous gusts. Giant plow trucks and MBTA buses passing at ambitious speeds for the conditions. Fairly hardcore.

2. Mass Ave to SWC: Super easy. Buildings blocked the wind along Mass Ave, and the traffic was light to nonexistent.

3. SWC: A fucking joy. I was truly surprised. I made a last-minute decision to try the path out and was completely rewarded. Nobody riding on it, plus continuous snow clearance meant I was riding through a thin scrim of snow with no ice or packed snow to throw the front wheel. There were big snow-plow ridges of snow about 18" deep at every intersection, but it was still floofy and I could ride right through them. I only had to put my foot down like 3 times the whole length of the path.

4. Forest Hills to Rosi Square: Fucking horrendous. Shit-show construction around Forest Hills plus the normal bus traffic and huge snow plows passing close and fast made it feel mega sketchy. I took my only spill right at Washington and Ukraine because packed snow threw my front tire. I fell right in front of a giant truck who was luckily stopped because of the light and traffic. But I was sufficiently spooked so I decided to ride on the wrong side of the road for this stretch. Traffic was lighter in that direction and I could pull over if I felt there wasn't enough room. Trying to find the sweet spot in the road where there wasn't any ice built up made it super challenging.

5. Rosi Square to home: Totally fine. I live about a mile up the hill from Rosi Square and there was almost no traffic. I did pass kind of a lot of cars reeking of weed, which didn't give me confidence. No cars on the road made the snow accumulation pretty easy to handle. And even though my left shifter stopped working and my chain was stuck in the big ring, I was going slowly enough that it didn't really phase me.

All in all, it took me 80ish minutes to ride what normally takes me 30ish. I'd probably do it again.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    Nice. My ride was mostly sketchy AF. Cardinal Medeiros was a mess, big ruts, bumpy (typical Cambridge) but fortunately very little traffic. Warren and Medford St. by Target and under the tracks may actually have been the least sketchy part, shockingly. Pearl St. in Somerville was not terrible but Cross St. was a bit of a mess, with 3 stuck cars in 3-4 blocks.

Fortunately there were few cars and everyone was taking it slow (also shocking). The stretch between S'ville Ave and Washington, along McGrath by the Mercedes dealership was so sketchy because there wasn't a lot of room, people were driving faster, and man cars going slowly on snow are hard to hear coming.

I'd say if 1 was a sunny day and 10 is I can't ride in this, it was a 7 or so.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    I should probably swap my slicks for cross tires but i am lazy.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2018

^Lol me too.

My bike was way too snowy to bring it inside last night so I just locked it in the unheated garage and none of the snow had melted so I just rode it that way to work. I'm pretty sure the crew who cleans the bike room at work wasn't thrilled to see the black puddle beneath my bike this morning. :-oWorstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2018

Beware of plates of ice flying off the roof of trucks and probably busses when they drive by. I got hit on the heady by one once, and it felt like a ton of bricks even though I was luckily wearing my helmet at the time.
    ^oof, that's a bit terrifying

I am pretty sure it's illegal to not clean off the top of your car/truck/whatever, but it's so completely unenforced that maybe I'm wrong.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Riding home the other day and suddenly my left crank comes off, which was interesting. They're 105s with a splined crank/spindle interface which I've never had before- apparently it just worked itself loose without me noticing? At first glance it doesn't look like the interface got messed up at all so hopefully I can just clean it and pop it right back on.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2018

Lucky there wasn't damage.

I broke a set of DA cranks a couple months ago. After they broke, I thought about how earlier this summer I rode the Kancamagus Highway loop, 80 solo miles through the White Mountains. Still terrified to think there might have been a hairline crack during that whole ride. I can't even imagine what would've happened had they broken on one of those 50mph descents. Ugh.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    Yeah, that's scary to think about. I was lucky and happened to be slowly sidewalk-riding through the Medford St. underpass by Target/Slumbrew bc the road there with rush hour backed up traffic and snowbanks was really sketchy. Had I been riding normally on the road, or skip-stopping or something that could have been bad.

Put it back on last night, seems okay, we'll see how it goes.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Man going from 23c (beater bike) to 28c (daily bike) is kind of amazing once I got over the "is my tire nearly flat?" feeling.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2018

^ #envy

Damn, what a pleasurable damn ride today. Except for all the snow-melt water on the roads. But I'll gladly take it!Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    Poor MiniFries on the way to school: "Hey, it's raining!"

Nope, just the water coming off my rear wheel :/ I really need to get a mudguard set up on his trailerbike. Or I guess put full fenders on my whip but I don't wannaaaaa.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2018

Lololol, poor minifries."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    I want to get a mudguard for the trailerbike too, I actually have a spare, but the saddle is so low there's no room to clamp the fender on.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2018

Raceblade-style?"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    yeah but probably super bobo styleDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    surprisefries:Riding home the other day and suddenly my left crank comes off, which was interesting. They're 105s with a splined crank/spindle interface which I've never had before- apparently it just worked itself loose without me noticing? At first glance it doesn't look like the interface got messed up at all so hopefully I can just clean it and pop it right back on.

Came off again. And i stripped one of the pinch bolts putting it back on roadside. I suppose I should just take it to a shop. Tempted to say fuck it and replace the whole thing but I assume I'd have to buy a new crankset as well and no $ for that.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTime2 days ago

Shitty! Something sounds stripped. I usually keep a spare crankset kicking around my parts bin but I just had to replace my own cranks so I'm using the spare. Otherwise, I'd let you have 'em.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    Yeahhh. Maybe I can craigslist/ebay special one.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Or maybe it's not fucked, and I'm just doing something simple wrong and can get a new pinchbolt.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTime6 hours ago

Sounds pretty fucked. Check the threads in the spindle too? Something us damaged and it's probably ruining everything it's connected to."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries