Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorg0balistik
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2007

I rode around in the rain tonight. got soaked and always feel bad about doing it to my nice bike, I can't wait to have my other bike finished so I don't need to worry about rusting out my first ever welded by me frame.
    DannyRocks:I'm got a 17 I'm not using, you could run like a 43x17 or something.

Can I has it, for some sort of trade? (I've got plenty o' bike goodies!)
    -robotz![all your base are belong to us]
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2007

whoa! i dressed too warm this mornin'! i had to stop and take off my jacket about 10 minutes into my commute. global warmin'!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

psh I slept in the computer lab for about an hour = no commute today!... yay finals!
    I took the T. Back and forth all day for class, review sessions, library, and UPS. f'n sucks.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthoradam

it's real nice out today
    had a nice relaxing ride down beacon, had some crazy commuter on a mountain bike and a reflective vest repeatedly try and race me. glad to be on a bike today.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpapi

adam:had some crazy commuter on a mountain bike and a reflective vest repeatedly try and race me.

the best way to deal with these guys is the following:

1. let them pass you.
    2. pass them on their right.
    3. cross to their left.
    4. slow down(preferably skid) and let them pass you on your right.
    5. repeat as quickly as possible several times
    (if you can do this no handed, you get extra points)I'm going to eat your brain and gain your knowledge
    •  
      CommentAuthoradam

that's what i did haha. i like to hear them puff behind me with their gears grindin'. i did it one handed w/coffee, does that count for extra?
    • CommentAuthorgc

today was super nice..in that short 2 hour window when the rain stopped, it cleared, and the sun came out before the sun went down @4:00gone
    •  
      CommentAuthor0x000000
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2007

today's ride in the snow is going to be cute as hell. LET'S DO THISwhat does he commute to clowntown on that thing
    yeah that is how it looks what time is it supposed to start dumping?-LD
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop

i'm a pussy. i didn't ride today. i'm workin' til about 7 pm and didn't wanna deal with the commute home. no excuse that. i am a total pussy.
    • CommentAuthorrichard q

weather.com says noonish. Riding to the ica tonight for a talk is going to be so much fun, then riding home. cant wait!
    •  
      CommentAuthorrobotbuilder
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2007 edited

brunop:...i didn't ride today. i'm workin' til about 7 pm and didn't wanna deal with the commute home...

Or you're just being practical. There is something to be said for not riding in conditions that would make cycling hazardous to yourself & others. Generally, after a big snow, I think it is best to stay off the roads until they're plowed (this goes for cars & cyclists alike). With that said, I'll be riding because this is the weather I built Winter Beast for! Also, I love riding in the quiet of the snow, especially at night, with my lights illuminating the snow flakes. It feels... manly?
    -manbot[all your base are belong to us]
    I can leave work early if I need to so I rode in - isn't a busy week for me here at Ye Old Model Shop!Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop

it feels weird wearin' civilian clothes today. i'm near always bike as fuck in full ninja mode. black UA tights under shants and UA coldgear under a t-shirt at work. i just got on regular ol' pants and shirt today. i feel like an imposter! all you cats who rode, i'm jealous.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiiike

didn't ride cause i've gotta be here till 5:00 today.
    the real shitty part is how there was a medical emergency on the green line and i had to walk from copley to work on chauncy st.sports!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBuckley!

I'll give a full report after work, although it'll probably read: "Rode in snowy slush nonsense today. Drivers were crazy as expected. Feet are cold and wet".The kid's gotta learn that the game never lets up.
    Today is going to be a fun day on a bike on the way home I am sure to have frozen pants when I get home. The ride in felt way colder then 25 degrees probably the humidity of the impending snow.-LD
    •  
      CommentAuthorgregwhits

Miiike:didn't ride cause i've gotta be here till 5:00 today.
    the real shitty part is how there was a medical emergency on the green line and i had to walk from copley to work on chauncy st.

two e-line trains apparently hit each other, crazy stuff.

i didn't ride anywhere today because i am done with school and only sort of have a job. yay!
    •  
      CommentAuthor0x000000

well, here goes...what does he commute to clowntown on that thing
    •  
      CommentAuthor0x000000

the report (from downtown to brighton):
    - downtown is okay, pretty much pulled a skid all the way down tremont
    - the snow is pretty soft, so my 25c tires just kinda plowed through it all, except when i hit cracks/potholes or frozen chunks
    - kenmore to bu bridge is gridlocked, the middle of the road is worse than the sides somehow
    - bu bridge to brighton was pretty decent, not too many cars

this may have not been the best idea.what does he commute to clowntown on that thing
    •  
      CommentAuthorBuckley!

I'll work backwards.

-I came home at 7:15 with the most awesome ice beard ever, and then ate chinese food.
    -The main roads in Somerville are nicer than Cambridge right now. The back roads are a total mess.
    -I rode right down the middle of the Longfellow. While doing this, some lady yelled that she'd "rather do that on the sidewalk" if she were me. Only one car passed me on the bridge.
    -From about 2-4 in the afternoon, traffic was gridlocked downtown. Pretty much any street that led out of the city was a parking lot. By about 5:30 it started to clear up.
    -From 2-3, and again from 5-6 I drank a lot of tea, at Tealuxe, where they have lots of tea. Fun fact.
    -At 12:30 I noticed the first snowflakes.
    -10am, I leave my house on the Langster, later regretting not just taking the MTB downtown.The kid's gotta learn that the game never lets up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDan Roch

rode home at 1230 wasn't to bad i caught a few icy flakes in my eyes
    rode to work at 3 sort of fun i liked the challenge
    11pm will be the ride home we'll see how that goes

this is all on 700c X 23 lithion slicks

Everybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaning they are unemployed - Prince Philip during the recession in 1981
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

I rode home today, wow, that didn't work at all. Could it be the skinny ass armadillos I am running? Maybe. I got about half way home and had to get on the T. It was one long slow ass fish tail, and the snow was piling up faster than it was being pushed away. I ended up walking the last mile home with my bike on my back. Passed another guy doing the same thing and we exchanged high fives. It was fun.this wont hurt a bit...
    • CommentAuthorJer

stilgar:I rode home today, wow, that didn't work at all. Could it be the skinny ass armadillos I am running? Maybe. I got about half way home and had to get on the T. It was one long slow ass fish tail, and the snow was piling up faster than it was being pushed away. I ended up walking the last mile home with my bike on my back. Passed another guy doing the same thing and we exchanged high fives. It was fun.

my story is almost exactly the same..

Tried to ride home, but my front end kept going where it shouldn't. So I just walked it. As I almost got to my house I passed another guy walking his bike and we shot the shit for a block. You don't happen to be German do you?

Jer
    • CommentAuthorrichard q

i rode from central to davis. . there was a couple of times it was scary but fun. I got a good work out on my arms though from holding onto the handle bars as the front wheel went each different way.
    • CommentAuthorgone
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2007 edited

Manohman am I glad I invested in that Cyclocross bike...

Having said that, I took the Orange Line home tonight.
    With my mom.
    Chew on that, fuckers.

The part where I was actually riding (up until 5 pm) was super fun, though:
    I wasn't too cold (on account of my wool trousers),
    and the whole situation was too completely bonkers not to get a kick out of it.
    Ride home last night was great only put my feet down three times in the three mile ride home, only got passed a few times mostly like riding thru a parking lot of pissed people not going anywhere. Got cut off by three cars that "couldn't see me" they probably should have cleaned off the windows. My ride to work today was great exept for the shitty ice chunks frozen to the road that totally sucked, and the street that didn't get plowed was great too fun sliding. I am looking forward to the ride home today, it should be great. Yeah for winter.-LD
    •  
      CommentAuthorhowl
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2007

Ride from longwood to cambridge last night had good points and bad points. Basically had to walk ~50% of the time up to the bu bridge, not because of the road conditions, but because there were so many cars being driven exceedingly badly.

The cambridge side was fine- little bit of zig-zagging, a couple of detours into the snowbank to let plows go past.

This morning was no problem, except for the aforementioned ice chunks.Troglodytarum is latin for troll
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2007

14 degrees when i left the house this morning. cold feet! hands good though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2007

Jer:
    stilgar:I rode home today, wow, that didn't work at all. Could it be the skinny ass armadillos I am running? Maybe. I got about half way home and had to get on the T. It was one long slow ass fish tail, and the snow was piling up faster than it was being pushed away. I ended up walking the last mile home with my bike on my back. Passed another guy doing the same thing and we exchanged high fives. It was fun.

my story is almost exactly the same..

Tried to ride home, but my front end kept going where it shouldn't. So I just walked it. As I almost got to my house I passed another guy walking his bike and we shot the shit for a block. You don't happen to be German do you?

Jer

I am not german, do you happen to speak spanish, cause the guy I gave a high five too only spoke spanish. Seems that it's cultural exchange in the snow week.this wont hurt a bit...
    •  
      CommentAuthorhowl
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2007

yo folks- i can confirm that it's really icy out there.

ride safe.Troglodytarum is latin for troll
    • CommentAuthorraff I el
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2007

bump.

anyone have an early report?Geryon was a monster everything about him was red.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop

icy. i stayed up but it was slick in spots. and cold. my toes are cold.
    • CommentAuthorslowski

I rode the streets of Cambridge/Somerville from 5:30-7:30 and they were fine (except for the idiots in them).If at first you don't succeed... you fail.
    just got in, took Sidney --> Mass --> Boylston --> Hemenway --> Parker.
    no problems at all, roads were fine.Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiiike

downtown is fine as well. but it's really cold, to bundle up.sports!
    •  
      CommentAuthorstickyfoot

Roads were fine for me too. A little wet still, and narrow. But I didn't see much ice at all.MC Chunky Ice in da howse
    • CommentAuthorraff I el

how is it so cold and yet so wet? oh salt, how i love/hate you.Geryon was a monster everything about him was red.
    I discovered on the way in that dropping your chain and the subsequent rear wheel lock-up is bad:
    1) On ice
    2) When you're trying to dash across Columbus Ave
    3) When you come to a dead stop with traffic bearing down on you
    So, for those reasons, don't neglect your chain tension, even if it's your winter bike that you don't give a shit about.
    -robot[all your base are belong to us]
    •  
      CommentAuthor0x000000

every time i walk outside my building and i see my salt-covered bike, i weep a little. the traffic downtown was worse than usual this morning (9-930), so along with the reasonably narrow roads, it wasn't great.what does he commute to clowntown on that thing
    Looks like the roads are going to be icy and narrow for a few months now this is very different from last winter (which was my first winter in Boston). I guess it really does snow here. Looks like I may be able to host the Tail of the Charles race after-all.-LD
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2007

Don't worry it will freeze/thaw at least a couple more times before the warm weather comes again.this wont hurt a bit...
    • CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2007

this is pretty early for ice on the charles. most years theres not usually much, if any. i think i first noticed it last week or 2 weeks ago. if we get a week or two of low teen temps at night, and highs not above 35 or so that shiz will freez like whoa.gone
    • CommentAuthorgone
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2007 edited

robotbuilder:I discovered on the way in that dropping your chain and the subsequent rear wheel lock-up is bad:
    1) On ice
    2) When you're trying to dash across Columbus Ave
    3) When you come to a dead stop with traffic bearing down on you
    So, for those reasons, don't neglect your chain tension, even if it's your winter bike that you don't give a shit about.
    -robot

It's funny:

I was thinking about this particular post on my way up Winter Hill this afternoon.

Sure enough, no sooner had I crested the summit (and began a relatively high-speed descent down the other side), than the chain drops, and it's time to Flintstone into the red light between School Street and Broadway (2/3 of the way down).
    •  
      CommentAuthor0x000000
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2007

monday night in south boston: i'm ghost riding a bike given to me by this guy i work with (greg, thanks for that tip) and some crotchey old hag yells at me, "hey why you ridin' ya bike at night ya fuckin' nut!". on the way home i was singing "ridin' dirty" out loud. i was trying to figure out what i would say to a cop, had one stopped me. probably something like, "why yes officer, i am ghost riding this whip".what does he commute to clowntown on that thing
    ^lolzclockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    ^^People are always so impressed by ghost riding. Once I was cheered on by some Alpha Beta Beta Beta Sigma Phi Epsilon dudes as I was weaving through traffic whilst ghost ridin'.
    -robot[all your base are belong to us]
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2007

Very slushy ride home tonight.

Someone took a picture of me at one point.

I am going to burn down that fucking house on the arborway with all the stupid lights.e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly