Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2018

i am very bad at mountain bikes already, so these were nooot the right conditions for meThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    I'm sure I would not have fared any better.

Goddamn beautiful this morning for the ride in. I finally broke down and bought prescription sunglasses a month ago -ish, and I feel like I've barely used them.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    I took my San Jose with the falling-off crank to SomerVelo and fortunately all the splining was fine so I got a new end-bolt and a new pinch bolt, and it rides like a damn dream now hooray.

I told Pete I stripped one of the pinch bolts and he's like "...ooh." Then he looked at it and said, "Wait did you mean you just stripped out the head of the bolt, not the threads?...I was wondering why you didn't seem very upset about it." hah.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    ugh, I excel at over-dressing for low-mid 30s tempsDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2018

I worried that I underdressed but I was perfectly comfy. However, I will probably regret my layering choices tonight on the way home.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    I managed to drop my chain yesterday coming down McGrath between Highland and Pearl. There were no cars and I was slaloming the hashed line between the left lane and the left turn lane for fun.

One of the reasons I never rode brakeless long-term, I prefer my chain a little on the loose side.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2018

Yikes! I had a chain break once, but I was thankfully on a quiet street. Then again, I also had both brakes fail on my old cx bike while going down a steep hill in Dotchester. Thought I was toast but managed to Flintstone to a stop before I hit the T intersection at the bottom.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    Yeah fortunately no traffic, though I wouldn't have been goofing off if there were cars around and thus it wouldn't have happened- so maybe it's a good thing, i guess the chain was looser than I'd realized.

Both brakes, daaaang.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorwhoagirl!
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2018

whoa!Whoa!
    Praise be, Somerville ran the street sweeper on Medford St!DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2018

whoagirl!:whoa!
    somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2018

first ride in ohio started off with the miles of fields expected, but then the tow path next to a river i foolishly assumed was paved by now was not, and actually when i got to it there were mules just having towed a barge of tourists a ways up it. very nicely maintained path, but i'm a pavement kinda gal so that was a very long 10ish miles, and then later in the ride the "county route" turned out to be a mud rut through a cornfield and i bailed on that part of the route entirely...That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    Mannnnn that sounds like it could have been pretty cool under different circumstances (like, if it were expected at least).

I am trying to figure out how to get MassDOT to clean up all the fucking crushed stone on the shoulder of McGrath between Pearl and Highland. It is not a fun stretch right now, but at least it's short.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2018

yeah it's definitely sweet that it's there for people who intend to ride it! (also i had to go buy a bucket today cuz boy howdy does my bike need a bath now!)

ummm aggressive and/or pleading tweeting?That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthorkossmonaut

i think every tow path in ohio is loose gravel if i remember

the metroparks are good paved paths for fun rides
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

good to know.

just signed up for a 62 mile ride in 2 weeks, in part because of how terribly stupid the tshirt image is. plus they have cookies!That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    a_lion:

ummm aggressive and/or pleading tweeting?

I'm getting to that point. Also if anyone complains about the stones I kick up hitting their car I will just tell them to yell at MassDOT instead.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2018

ddot in dc were actually responsive on twitter, both about road conditions and i think that's how i recommended a place that needed a bike rack too. can't hurt to try!That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2018

one of a group of 4 very fred-esque motorcycle guys threw up the horns to/at me as they zoomed off up the closest thing ohio has to a hillThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthorkossmonaut
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2018 edited

https://i3.cpcache.com/product/573769354/the_ski_ohio_shop.jpg?height=400&width=400&qv=90&AttributeValue=Poster&Size=32x24

oh god i forgot how to do images on this site

•  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2018

hahah yes thatThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2018

^^lolWorstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    haha!

Man I love having a basket big enough to fit my messenger bag for when it's hot out. But I almost bit it today because I forgot just how much it changes the handling.

Also even when it's wicked hot out, if I'm in traffic I can never seem to just ride slowly so I don't turn into a sweatmonster.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2018

did a 64 mile tour today that was dirt cheap, had TONS of a wide variety of homemade cookies, had lovely weather, and had...uh, some random old dude that happened to ride the same speed as me and feel like chatting. just a super pleasant ride=)That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2018

Nice. In a couple weeks we're doing a mini camping tour to Rochester so I can hang out with

G E O R G E N A F U C K I N T E R R Y

and try to learn something about bikes and math. Hopefully I'm not too dumb, but I'm pretty dumb about math."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2018

knowing things about bikes seems like it would be niceThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    awesome on both counts

at least i can have vicarious bicycle excitement here thank youDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2018

Can I just say how awesome it is knowing a few things about bikes now? Damn, it's really fucking nice. I love working on bikes all day and I'm on my third home made frame now. Life's sick af. And there's so much more to learn!

Sure wish I hadn't left Boston, but the current shop situation is real good."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2018

the maker space around here has making bikes on the list of things that _might_ be taught at a place like that, but when i asked, nah, it's not really something they've ever considered/especially plan on. bummer.
    also, the people at the shop in town here seem very friendly but i asked about group rides and their only one averages 20+. the guy said he hopes to eventually get enough interest to start a slower ride, but didn't, like, take an email address or anything, so i don't know how they expect to amass enough interest if everyone slower that comes in is basically just told 'nope'?That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    That's a bummer, 20+ for a long ride is not very accessible. Do you think they'd help if you tried to start it yourself? Maybe they are just being lazy.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2018

no=/ with the wind here i could sometimes maintain 20 in one direction, but it sure ain't gonna average to 20 in the end=P
    guess i could ask! ...steal some of their routes, just lead 'em at a more moderate pace...That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    they'd have to be pretty big jerks not to at least passively support itDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2018

where i still know 0 people here, i feel like i need the semi-active support of, idk, collecting emails or something of other people looking for a slower ride, so i know if/when they exist... i'll wander by there someday and chat.That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2018

1st century of the year, ran out of water ~mile 86. there are no hills bigger than the highway overpass here, so although the wind may make you want to give up and die at times, you're always going to eventually get there.That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    Awesome!DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2018

Nice! We've been fixing up our tandem and tested it out going to Rochester on Thurs and back Friday. 84 miles there, 11 miles to get to where we stayed, 86 miles the next day and the last 4 or so were BRUTAL. Almost entirely canal path on the way back too, so like dirt/gravel. We were so tired, lol."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2018

non-pavement is so much more effort. hell of a "test"!That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    daaaaaaaang

Do you think it's more or less (or equally) tiring than it would be to each ride your own bike?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    I don't know what I'd do if I worked somewhere without a cold room I can stand in after I ride to work in the summer.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2018

i just have a ...well, it's not exactly a window unit, it's like huge trashcan sized and then has a hose to the window, and it's at the front of the farmhouse, so today i then had a fan in my doorway trying to sort of bounce the a/c into my office.. mixed success i'd say.That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    I'm working on a similar setup at home- it's a window unit but trying to draw the air across the hall. Not sure it'll really work though.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2018

surprisefries:daaaaaaaang

Do you think it's more or less (or equally) tiring than it would be to each ride your own bike?

Eh, it's probably a little less tiring because of the aero and weight advantage, but there were definitely times I wished I were on a regular bike (the cranks are too long and it has swept back bars, but ergo grips would help). On the way there we had this awesome tail wind and crushed it way faster than we could have on single bikes and not having to stop to navigate really saves a lot of time - I have all my maps ready and pin them to the back of Nat's shirt. I guess I'd have to try it again on normal bikes with a similarly light load to know, since last time we rode out there we were on fully loaded bikes."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Nandy:I have all my maps ready and pin them to the back of Nat's shirt...

haha i never thought of that, so convenient!DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2018

please someone come to ohio and do this 112 mile ride with me 7/14 http://ridetoremember.net/
    i mean or there's a century through metro parks a week later?
    idk just come ride bikes with me, a 2 day drive from boston, it's a reasonable ask guysThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2018

oh also i never bothered to figure out the bits to add to show photos here, but heck yeah tandems https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/316935_739573910808_1655736605_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=ba79c51798293063487c9c3821dd356a&oe=5BE723D7That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    a_lion:oh also i never bothered to figure out the bits to add to show photos here, but heck yeah tandems
    DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    awesomeDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2018

much obliged

they used the exact same image for williamsburg this year, i guess, other than the date. lazy!That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Do you go to tandem rallies? They seem like massive dork-fests but I kind of want to go to one (that's within reasonable riding distance), but I'm not sure how much I want to hang out with a bunch of tandem dorks. I guess we're tandem dorks, though. We have 3 of them now..."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorkossmonaut

did yall see the triple tandem on CL?

https://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/bik/d/triple-tandem-3-person/6620008570.html