Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2018

back in the 90s, when those patches are from, my family had 2 tandems and were all about it. the main thing i remember, as far as the other people, was another family with 2 children, and at dinner one night their daughters had the ends of strands of spaghetti in their mouths and were spinning their head to make it windmill, and then putting a strand of spaghetti around their neck to create a sauce necklace. i...assume there were other people there too. one year (the williamsburg one?) we got to ride tandems in a velodrome!

i believe the child in the back is a spaghetti monster, my family are the fashionable ones

aaaw yeah, got a pictureThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    oh man that is awesome

i want to be a tandem dorkDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2018

make it happen! it's a good life.That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2018

Triple tandem fantasy: Register as an Uber driver and just show up on that thing every time.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    I think I've nearly convinced Mrs.Fries.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

...convinced her to go to the tandem rally, or that you should have a career shift to tandem uber? i'm into either.That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

my dad just talked to a friend of his who has been to every tandem rally in 25 years, so...apparently it can become a way of lifeThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Who else has seen the tandem dork family around Concord? It's a QUADRUPLE, matching kits and all.

The most recent one we sort of accidentally got is a 1967 Jack Taylor with a Cyclo derailleur. Accidentally because Nat tried to low ball an ebay consignment shop and it auto-accepted, lol. It's pretty cool, though"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2018

how do you even get a quad home from the shop??

haha whoops/sweetThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    Awesome.

Today is weather that I would love to ride in going home, but I hate going into work. Drizzly enough to get fairly wet but way too warm for rain gear. And oh, the road grit.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2018

keep some baby wipes at work at least? =/That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    dangit I had some in my bag but took them out last night along with pretty much everything else, and forgot to put them back in.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2018

hah smooth move =/
    i've got a desk pack of face wipe thingies, especially now that i'm farm workin. (just survived a week of farm camp! woo me!)That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    yeah that's a good call. congrats on getting your first week in the books.

I knew i'd have to bring my bag into the Sinclair for a show the other night so I basically just pulled everything out but my tool roll and spare tube.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2018

Thinking of getting dry shampoo to be potentially less greasy when I ride in. All the brands I've seen recommended are way more expensive than I would have guessed =(That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    i've heard that's something you can DIY but I have no idea if it's any good.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2018

i sort of can picture stuff from a spray can being SLIGHTLY less of a disaster than just, like, flinging handfuls of arrowroot at my head... idk.
    oh, so that we've talked about a ride again recently...yesterday was another heat advisory day and i was gonna bike ~35 but at around mile 4 i discovered that there's a water slide in town, and it entirely broke my spirit (didn't have $6 on me) and i was back home around mile 16That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    oh nooooooo i thought that was going to happy place at firstDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2018

coworker had recommended that i on put-in-bay (an island you take a ferry to) but a few weeks ago when i drove part of the way, then biked toward the ferry, i got to a draw bridge that was under construction, and the only way around was major highway bikes weren't allowed on. heard the bridge was open so went back today, and the island's pretty funny - their whole industry seems to be in providing extra large golf carts for drunks to toodle around in, and places for them to get increasingly drunk in. fun leaving them all in the dust.
    (of course, on the way back i ran into another under-construction drawbridge, but that one was go-around-able)That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    whoa that place sounds pretty cool, buncha history nerd stuff too. Did you see the Oliver Hazard Perry monument?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2018

biked by but didn't get to go in cuz i thought i had to get back cuz my roommate was moving in. (but, uh, she just...hasn't shown??)That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    BUT IT'S THE TALLEST OPEN AIR MONUMENT OBSERVATORY RUN BY THE NATIONAL PARK SERVICE

that's weird, she just totally stood you up?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2018

i'll have to go back, eventually!

yuuuuuup. i had texted her that i'd be back by x time and could help move, no response, saw on snapchat that she'd had an accidental 4 hour nap, but she never bothered getting in touch.

biked to work t/w, so far fine on that front, trying to minimize how gross and sweaty i get on the way in... today got an 11+ hour fieldtrip with my boss and the assistant director of the park system that should be informative and useful but boy howdy is this going to be a lot of car time with those guysThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    that's pretty weird of her.

I am generally v bad at minimizing gross/sweaty, the best way I've found is to ride a lower-geared bike so i have to go slower.

holy moly 11+hrs?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTime6 days ago

i need extra stuff mondays and fridays, so if i drive m/f and leave shirts n snacks then, at least i can bike in without a sweaty bag on... the only QOM i have around here is on my commute, but i'm sure not gonna try to beat my time while commuting

we went to two living history farms around columbus (3 1/2 hours to the further one, and they were over an hour apart) - it was pretty informative and the folk were very friendly, and they fed us, so overall it was a good day (and i found out i will get to go to some conferences) but i had a pretty hellacious headache by the time i got home. gonna be another long one tomorrow! doing the bluffton ride to remember, which has options up to 112 miles (that's the goal, but it's supposed to be real hot and i don't have anyone to ride with, so...we'll see.)That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTime5 days ago

crushed itttt (by which i mean, sat in and only pulled twice and was still roundly praised by a group of olds who kept us to an ~18mph average even after fuckin around the last 10 and 2 mile laps)
    hot as hellThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTime5 days ago

nice. I'm on the fence about showing up to a group ride tomorrow, but it's my only day off all week and I could stay in my house instead..."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTime4 days ago

hmm we're definitely into 'tomorrow' already. hope it was a good day either way! (group rides often start early enough you can still get in several hours of lounging in AC after?)That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTime1 day ago

Didn't go, lol. Last time I went on this one is was a bunch of suburbanites I didn't like and it started at 10:30 and it was hot that day and you have to sign a shop's waiver, so ehh. I've ridden my fancy road bike like once this year.

Rode the Rochester Terry today though and finally bent the derailleur back into shape so it was even better to ride! That was nice."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    That's one more time than I've ridden my fancy road bike this year :/

That road ride does sound pretty lame though.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTime1 day ago

The one fancy bike ride was highly enjoyable though, def recommend getting out on the nice things every once in a while. 11/10 would do again"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries