Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

hahaha kids are great. I just made a new BFF who is 12ish? and the kid of adult friends of ours. Mostly through trash talking and shooting his bb guns.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2019

ok i have cleaned the chain and put air in the tires, good thing those are literally the only kinds of bike maintenance that exist, right? time to Ride to Work!That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    basically, yeah. i really need to swap my rear tire back to slick from a cx, it's getting annoyiing.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2019

yesterday they closed my nearest highway exit and the overpass, and the nearest next way to get to the other side of the highway requires going a mile up, mile over, and mile back down (and then much further to the next highway exit). the traffic is mostly reverse of my commute, but i'm pretty sure between now and AUGUST someone's gonna rage out and run me over in an intersection.That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    this was part of the ped/cyclist detour for the Washington St bridge closing, this morning. They've been ripping up that side street that's part of the detour since the detour began.

DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2019

lol wow"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Ohhhh... is that what you meant by the train overpass? I was thinking of something else, I think. Or imagining it anyway. Lots of memories of riding over that thing. Is that woman with like, 4 kids on her bike in various seats and trail-a-bikes still at it? I suppose her kids must be getting a bit old for that at this point, been 4 or 5 years since I saw her (never saw her on the McGrath overpass itself, but did see her turning onto Highland coming up from Washington headed outbound).
    Haven't seen her! Yeah, by Washington St bridge I mean the train bridge over Washington St. They need to make it bigger to accommodate the Green Line extension.

To their credit, Somerville 311 got back to me pretty quickly and sent someone out there to talk to the crew. No idea if it actually worked though, 'cause they were done for the day by the time I was coming home. I just it's funny and dumb they would have scheduled construction on the street during the time it's a detour for the GLX work.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Er, maybe I am confused still, that looks like the McGrath overpass over Washington on your left?

In the years since I left Boston it's become a mystery to me. I only learned yesterday that the Back of the Hill/Heath Street area of MH is expensive now? Huh?
    Yeah sorry, that's not clear. Train bridge closed, along McGrath to Cross is the detour:
    DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2019

oof, that sucks. How long is that going on?"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Ah, I get it now. Turns out I did correctly remember where the train crosses over Washington. That's... pretty messed up, particularly for a person on foot?
    Word. It's gonna go 'til November, then April to November again next year.

The Broadway bridge into Ball Square (from Winter Hill) is completely closed now, for an entire year.

ETA: an entire year of this:

But at the end of it we'll have the GLX, AND a bike path that connects the Minuteman all the way to Cambridge and the Charles!DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2019

that's sweet tho"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Damn. Well, I suppose there's no easy way of doing the necessary work. Ah, I see they're officially detouring people to the Medford side. Was imagining life'd be difficult on that warren of one way streets on the other side (the Highland side).
    Yeah, Eastbound to Medford, Westbound on Highland. They're also running shuttles around all the bridge closures for pedestrians.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorStinky Cheez
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2019 edited

I had fun in a "this is awesome/yikes this is kinda terrifying" sorta way yesterday. I got my tank of a vintage MTB (bought a few years ago for tooling around on with children) back from a lazy man's tune-up at the shop last week, and I was itching to get out but was feeling too lazy to run, so I grabbed the MTB and headed out. Was having fun cruising down hills, whee!!! And then I passed my neighbor down in her yard gardening and she yelled something, I reckoned just saying hello - and then it dawned on me - her nutzo (but generally very sweet) dog was probably sprinting across her lawn to catch me at their driveway. I reckoned I was already going pretty fast, so I sped up...

Barely beat the dog to the driveway. A little scary going 30 mph on a fairly bumpy dirt road on an 80s mountain bike you don't entirely trust.

Turns out the bike seemed good, awesome even, but it still doesn't reliably shift into the small chainring. Annoying for the big hills around here.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2019

Rod to work for the first time in weeks following a bout of plantar fasciitis (stretching is important, apparently) and unrelated twisted ankle. I AM OUT OF SHAPE. Glad the good weather is here so I can get out on some real rides again.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    ^haha it's scary and sad how quickly I get out of shape, even a week away is very noticeable glad you're doing well

^^damn, but yeah that does sound funDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorStinky Cheez
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2019 edited

Rode with the school mountain biking club yesterday - mostly because it was marketed as being for intermediate and up riders, and my daughter is probably a bit iffy when it comes to clearing obstacles. Our group ended up being almost entirely 2nd graders (her class) which was kinda interesting. All three boys there have ATVs, so they're pretty into going over obstacles, but we did a 3.5 mile hilly-for-kids mostly dirtroad loop and the two boys I was with (rode sweep) ended up walking the vast majority of it. Meanwhile my kid was way up the hill with the others. And yet the PE teacher told me they'd take my daughter and see how she did with that group (he didn't understand I was there to ride with them, I knew last fall another 2nd grade dad engineered getting his kids in that group by volunteering to join).

Kinda confirms my bias against ATVs.

Also got to listen in on middle schoolers bragging to eachother about how expensive their slick full suspension bikes cost. Bonus!
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTime7 days ago

went on my longest ride of the year so far (this has been a verrrrry slow year for me so far), on the hottest day so far (80s by afternoon), and still decided at an event i stopped at to eat a steak quesadilla. it was delicious, but i got home feeling a it barfyThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo