Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2019

Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    ^yesssssss

^^that sounds so rad and i'm glad you didn't have to go the hospital for junk treatmentDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2019

it's really hard to believe how extensive the bike trail network is around here, kinda makes me sad for the US! and yeah talkin about one's crotch across a language divide probably not idealThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2019

we went camping on lake ontario yesterday and just as we were going to sleep a small storm rolled in. Nbd, weather report looked good and figured it would blow over soon. At like 3am it was still so windy I checked the weather report again - one site said "clear" with single digit winds, NOAA said "20% chance of rain before 3am and 11mph wind". Maybe we just picked a bad open spot, but the frequent gusts felt like 25mph. It finally died down and we got some sleep and the morning was gorgeous, but geez. Nice ride though, only got buzzed by 2 small dick pickups pulling trailers on empty roads and even got to ride a good section of the canal."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    dang, that sounds pretty unsettlingDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    I do not like random warm days in the fall, I was really getting used to not being real sweaty after riding in to work.

Also I got slightly merged into by a driver this morning as they drifted toward the curb in order to sneak around traffic and turn right on red. I probably shouldn't have tried to hit the gap but I suppose they could also have just fucking checked their mirror. eh.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2019

cars expecting to turn right on red should be banned af, fuck em. So dangerous"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Yea. I mean that place is kind of a shit show (which usually works to my advantage) - the off-ramp from McGrath inbound to Washington St, by the rental place. Unless there are big rental trucks blocking the sidewalk and shoulder there's plenty of room, but cars go onto the shoulder area to get all the way up to the light and turn right, bypassing cars waiting in line to go straight.

That's also the second-to-last place I crashed, b/c to get around a big truck I went to go up on the sidewalk just a bit where there was a curb cut for the rental place, and had pedalstrike on the curb cut. Kinda served me right for being impatient I guess.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2019

I was excited yesterday when I saw that there was one more Green Line Velo Wed night ride for the year, so I did it, and it was sooooo humid. I guess it’s technically still summer, so can’t complain that much.
    it was gross out!

I rode to the Paradise from Somerville last night, hadn't been around or over the BU bridge in a long time. Weird to see lines and a bike lane in the BU rotary. Weirder that as you head toward the bridge (here), they have you do a sharp turn right to cross the Mem drive incoming lane on the perpendicular, then a 90* left turn into the bike lane to go over the bridge. And by weird i mean dumb.

The separated cycle tracks on Comm ave are pretty sweet though, not sidewalk level at least for most of it, although they're very much not done and poorly lit- probably because they're not done. But you think they could've pushed to finish before school started. The inbound side has a port-a-potty in it.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

THREAD-JACK: I really hate sidewalk-level cycletracks. Actually, I really dislike a lot of cycletracks I've used (admittedly not that many). I feel crammed in, with more obstacles and less room to maneuver. But that's just me. Maybe I need to come back and ride the Comm Ave one, though.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

I really hate separated but non-sidewalk grade cycle tracks. You're actually trapped without an easy option to maneuver around things and you're less able to see around/over parked cars. Sidewalk level with raised and well-planned crossings are mostly great though."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2019

^^^ there's one more ride next year for the shop in town and the manager's pressuring me to do it, but i'm so much slower than all these dang racey guys =[ just feel like a hassle

i guess i didn't really go into it while i was there, but holy shit italy's network of bike trails (at least up around the dolomites where we were) was outrageously extensive, just bike trails everywhere, ranging from painted lines to separated bike tracks with separated pedestrian ones next to them... made the head of the bike safety council here pushing sharrows look extra like a doofThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    I honestly can't decide whether I like sidewalk-level or street-level more. i think my favorite is just protected bike lanes rather than separated tracks. People seem to have mostly figured out not to walk in sidewalk-level tracks, so at least around here they seem to have about the same rate of peds in them.

I do agree that not having an easy turn-out is a big downside.

ALSO I RODE ALL THE WAY TO WORK TODAY WITHOUT SWEATING EVEN A LITTLE WOOOOO FAAALLLLLLLDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTime7 days ago

I also went on the BU cycle tracks to get to and from the group ride, and bailed when the unfinished-ness became too aggravating. The port-a-potty was a nice finishing touch.

Also, I think that rotary has to be the one of the most gridlocked shitshows in the entire city around 5:30. I have to thread needles through cards every time I go to that ride. It’s mostly safe, though, because the cars really aren’t moving at all.
    Honestly I miss threading that thing during rush hour, I thought it was pretty fun.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    At school dropoff this morning I was parked next to another parent riding fixed and pulling a trailer. The same model trailer we have, even.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTime2 days ago

Hipster parents ruleWorstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    haha

ever since MiniFries was born people on my rugby team have called me Hipster DadDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D