Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2020

Shorts and tights was how I biked for most of the winters, though I can't remember what I did when I was messengering in the winter. Probably the same. I always wanted something that could dry in a reasonable amount of time so I didn't say forever wet.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    word, i like having all the pockets and stuff of shorts but not having to worry about pants legs

btw so far clipless fixed is going great, no repeats of that random clip-out. i think i just wasn't fully clipped in or something. getting more comfortable with skips 'n' skids (i do have a brake). gonna order more atac pedals for another bike now, thanks again for the rec!DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2020

^Awesome! I'm glad there's another convert!Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    yah. I'm gonna keep bmx and straps for my big-basket cruiser fixed but convert one or two others from platforms or spd to ATAC. will probably keep my looks on my roadie that I never have time to ride anyway.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2020 edited

this is my first full winter doing clipless and fixed too. id previously do the holdfast straps over shoes so i could flip out of the straps when going thru sketchy spots. i now have better clipless shoes/booties and don't have any good sneakers this winter to do straps, and my unclipping action is pretty quick..so far so good but it's been a weak winter..somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    true that, it has been.

So now I am almost brakeless clipless fixed because the fucking bike trailer we have is tricky to attach/detach when your bike is leaned on a wall, and yesterday my bike fell over and the left hood broke. So the brake lever is sticking out at a weird angle and it does more or less work, but I have to futz with it after every time I use it.

I may just take this opportunity to swap the whole thing out for risers this weekend.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2020

cruiser bar fixed is where it's at"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    yeah, my other daily/around-town/whatever is cruiser bar fixed with a huge basket, i love it. but it's hard to cut through traffic on that one and i'm frequently almost late for school pickup.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2020

generator hub fixed is also where it's at"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2020

Had a nice ride out to Burlington and back today, and saw some other roadies taking advantage of the end of times warm weather. Yesterday I definitely witnessed something unfortunate when it was so windy: A bike locked up by the top tube on Dunster St in Harvard Sq blew over, and the rear wheel landed slightly off the side of the curb just as a car was backing up to parallel park. It literally happened in a split second, and the rim got crushed between car tire and the curb. Luckily the driver was sympathetic and left a number. Also another good reason to secure the front wheel in the lock, because it prevents rotation and keeps the bike upright.
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2020

dang, what're the chances?!That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2020

Yeah definitely pretty cinematic.
    Friggin' good for them leaving a number, a lotta people wouldn't.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Nearly got hit this morning while pulling my kids in the trailer because some old asshole guy in a pickup was upset that he had to wait a little longer to turn left onto McGrath from Pearl (there were 3 cars ahead of him and I was going straight on Pearl in the opposite direction). He started to pull out of the line and fortunately hit the brakes right as I was coming by him.

I just screamed HEY FUCK OFF without even thinking, then immediately was like shit, kids. We got to school and I said "Hey I'm sorry for my language back there, etc." and MiniFries goes, "Wait, what did you say?"

uhhh nothing nevermind. hah.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2020

if you've gotta swear around kids, while concerned about their safety seems legitThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2020

"and remember kids, check your mirrors and don't drive like a douche"

Saw a maseratti blasting club music downtown during the day. That was kind of weird"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2020

Sorry I’ll try to remember to keep it down.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2020

^LololololWorstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    ^^hi5

fuckin' wind today, daaang. Pulling 80ish pounds of kids into the wind at 48x17 killed my legs, which were already tired from riding into the headwind from work to school.

I locked this up snugly parallel to the rack this morning:
    DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2020

I admire your fixed-life dedication, but a back up derailleur bike can be nice."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    haha

I have a geared Dad Bike but I need to swap the pedals out for ATACs yet, and I try to keep to one bike when it's salty and/or shitty out- I can barely keep one bike from rusting through over the winter let alone two! so lazy.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Sometimes I pull just SmallerFries up this hill, it's the shortest way to get to MiniFries's school from SmallerFries's.

DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2020

Haha, that’s my street. It’s steeper than it looks on street view, and if I haven’t gone that way in a while, I usually start up in a huge gear, and then have to awkwardly shift up under load.
    It's a nice street! That hill is a bit of a bear under load though.

Turns out you can also skid-stop with a trailer on, if you have to.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2020

Saw another guy with bare legs and running shorts when it was like 18 degrees today."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    they must hate their kneesDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    0mph fall this evening with the trailer attached, hahaha.

Picked up SmallerFries at his school, then towed him to MiniFries's school to pick him up (starting in Sept they'll be at the same school wooooooo). At MiniFries's school there's a big metal gate across the entrance to the school- this is a years-old streetview, imagine a big metal gate where the chainlink gate is, and an actual school and playground there too.

In the evening the gate is never open quite wide enough to ride through with a trailer but I've gotten pretty good at pushing it open farther while I'm riding through. Today I got my angle wrong, and the trailer wheel caught on the gate. My brain was like, "hey you're falling, you're falling," but it never told my foot to clip out for some reason.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2020

haha dangit, as much ego damage as physicalThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    ha, yup. Fortunately the only person I know of that saw it was SmallerFries, who laughed and asked if I broke any bones.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2020

Lol, welcome to the 0mph clipless pedal fall. It only takes one or two and then your brain figures it out. But factually everyone does it at some point.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    My brain not working right reminds me of the MItch Hedberg joke about his talking parrot- "It could talk, but it never said 'I am hungry.' It died."

I had a 0mph fall once (clips/straps) rolling up to a date. That was cool.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2020

surprisefries:ha, yup. Fortunately the only person I know of that saw it was SmallerFries, who laughed and asked if I broke any bones.
    at least his priorities are straightsomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    haha yeah. good kid...DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2020

I went for a short ride today and noticed that I had tensioned my rear derailleur so that it’s exactly one cog off from where it should be. Oops. Weirdly I did a really hard spin class last night on the same bike and it shifted great even though everything was one step off.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

^I've done that. Derailleurs are my nemeses.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

I am so glad I got to spend a couple years in a shop so I can just fix derailleurs."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Derailleurs are one of the few things I don't mess with, I just haven't put in the effort to learn.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2020

in theory i get the concept, but it seems way less likely to be a shitshow to just get it done...That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2020 edited

Theeeeoretically I know what I'm doing. In practice, I apparently don't.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2020

it takes a bunch of practice, but it's nice once you get it down

I had an emotional day of driver interactions. Like mid-afternoon I was coming up to the end of Northern by design center and this luxury sedan just DIVES into the corner running the stop sign and nearly taking me out and they pull into the lot right where I'm going, so I'm like fuck it, I'll let them know that was unfuckingacceptable. They're on their phone for a solid like 5 minutes, and I just waited since I didn't have much going on. They finally get out and I'm like "hey what was up with nearly hitting me back there?" and they genuinely had no idea and were actually sincerely sorry. I have no idea what they had going on but they were almost crying and they were like "that's no excuse for not seeing you, I am so sorry" and it was so unexpected. PSA though, really don't drive if you're that distracted, there's cabs.

Later on I was near Harvard and there was a car blocking the bike lane, so in almost stopped traffic I signal over and go around it but the driver behind just lays on the horn. For a second I'm just confused because it was kind of unusual for someone to be that much of a dick where bikes are that common so I keep rolling and we're all going about the same speed so I keep an eye on them. Right before the tunnel we're at a light and their window is down (and they have 2 toddlers in the back so maybe they'll be reasonable?) so I'm like "I want to make sure you know that mass law says bikes can use the full lane, so you don't keep threatening people" and he was just all "THERE'S A BIKE LANE THERE YOU HAVE TO USE IT" and it honestly got me thinking about whether all these nice new cycle tracks are just going to get us extra death threats whenever they're unusable. Ugh cars"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2020 edited

I mean, of course death threats are preferable to actual deaths without this basic fucking infrastructure, but ffs people gotta get better at cars and basic human interactions come on"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    ugh sorry all that happened.

I feel like recently drivers have been better on average about exiting the bike lane, but there will always be ignorant assholes like that :/DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2020

Duuuude just had a blue bike rider pull right up next to me in the Surface st bike lane (a pretty narrow one) and say "wanna race?!" and I'm like "uh that's pretty rude to just pull up next to someone like that" and they reply "ever seen Chips? It's a tv show about bike cops""life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    hahahahahahah

what?

hahahaDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2020

Tfw the NH plate huge-ass fashion pickup that's never seen a day of work in it's life has to zoom around and cut you off and nearly kill a FedEx guy so the well-dressed office guy driving it can sit in grid lock 30 feet away and stuff a 5 inch wide sandwich in his face"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    oh, the fashion pickup

Nearly got right hooked this morning (it wasn't thaaat close, but I did have to brake) at McGrath and Medford, and of course the cop that monitors that intersection (and lets 4-8 cars run the red every cycle) was in his car- which was parked up on the grass across the street, facing away from the intersection.

And the worst part was, I was wearing mittens so nobody could tell I was giving them the finger!DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2020

^See, I KNEW there was a reason I never wanted to wear mittens.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2020

I feel like the "what the fuck" arm motion gets the idea across for anyone who's actually looking
    "life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2020

WHAT IS THAT HORRORWorstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2020

Art?

I have had no less than three fucking people lay on their horn at me for zero reason AND THEN sit there (sometimes still rolling) scrolling instagram today. While driving."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries