Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

fucking car hornsDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2020

They could at least make them as loud inside the car as it is on the outside"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    that would be amazing

instead of so much engineering to isolate people in the car from outsideDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2020

Yes please to targeted Bluetooth hornsWorstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    oi, i gave blood today and they were like, no heavy lifting or exercise for 2 days.

and i'm like, shit i have to ride to one school, pull one kid to the other school, then pull both kids home.

i'm tired as fuck right now.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2020

:( at least it's a long weekend"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    haha

i survived

i'm actually going to Florida this week to visit in-laws, since it's school vacation. so don't feel bad for me.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2020

just heard a secondhand story I liked - on Congress st dt some driver was laying on the horn at an uber that parked and kept honking, so a pedestrian goes over and says "SHUT THE FUCK UP, THERE'S A RED LIGHT, YOU'RE HONKING AT EVERYONE WITHIN 100 YARDS. THIS IS BOSTON, YOU DON'T FUCKING DO THAT. GO BACK TO SOUTH CAROLINA""life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2020 edited

Nandy:Art?

I have had no less than three fucking people lay on their horn at me for zero reason AND THEN sit there (sometimes still rolling) scrolling instagram today. While driving.

Yay the Massachusetts no phone law started yesterday. You can’t even use it at a red light.
    Woo!

Though I must admit to being a red light phone-checker if I'm expecting something important, or want to change the music :/

This morning I was riding through the (stupid) Washington St. bridge bike detour, on Cross St. over the tracks. There was a fucking transit cop just parked on Cross outside Mr. B's (a no-parking zone and in front of a hydrant no less), effectively blocking the only lane of travel in that direction (away from McGrath). Fucking up the fucked-up traffic even more.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2020

Yeah I saw that cruiser sitting there yesterday when I was walking into Union and wondered what the deal was.
    Prob just some BS to do with the construction across the street? Do transit cops do construction details?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorryan t

No idea. I’m not sure if they have any authority outside of the MBTA system. Has anyone ever heard of transit police issuing a regular citation?
    Has anyone ever heard of any detail cop issuing a citation?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

pretty sure they can and it's just school rent-a-cops that can't issue citations, they just dgaf. Cambridge and staties gaf though, acab"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    I think it's more of a jurisdiction question, they can write you a ticket or whatever for jumping fare, but could they cite you for speeding on 93? Probably not?

Staties are the woooorst.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Yesterday someone pulled out in front of me while I was pulling the trailer with a ~35lb kid in it. I braked hard and the brake cable slipped so my lever went all the way to the bar. That was "fun".DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeFeb 29th 2020

^Yikes! The other day I was biking with my ~30lb dog over some choppy roads and the trailer tipped. Poor pupper! He was fine, but it was super scary for me. Luckily we were going pretty slow.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    Aww pup! The roads around their schools are mostly garbage too. Like Cross St, ugh. So I'm super careful pullin' them around, had plenty of time/room to avoid and stop. Just that first moment was like fffuuuuuu.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2020

whew I'm so glad I don't live off Cross st anymore even though I'm on a big hill in brighton now"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Big trailer fight all the way to the first school this morning, scream-crying and everything. It was comical.

Somehow InStep managed to make their newer trailers both smaller and heavier.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2020

"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2020

wait no, get the 8ft Bikes At Work trailer and make them each their own fort on it"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2020

YesssssssWorstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    whoaaaaDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    This morning I dug ten (10) pieces of glass out of my tires. Flat Tire Season is here. Most of them were probably too small to work all the way through to the tube, but there were a few good ones. The Medford St underpass by Target is strewn with trash and broken glass. I wish Somerville would take better care of it, or stop pretending it's a bike lane.

In other news I left my laptop at home this morning, and the worst part is that I have so much shit in my bag I didn't notice the weight difference.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2020

oofThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2020 edited

today I was going up a really crowded Lincoln st and a cargo van was pulling out so I just waited no big rush and then they folded in their mirror to let me through since they clearly weren't going anywhere and that was nice.

Later some pos in a fashion pickup was making a scene doing vroom noises and being a dick to get to the tunnel and a pedestrian yelled at them to get off the fucking sidewalk and that was nice too."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2020

Omg I remember one time I was splitting lanes and muttered to myself how much I hate big side view mirrors and the guy in the truck pulled it in for me and I felt like such an ass.

Lol at fashion pickup. I almost miss the fashion fixie days. ALMOST.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    Oh c'mon you know you do.

That fash-up (? i dunno) was on the fucking sidewalk as well? JFC.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    I had to time-shift my on-site work yesterday (mostly due to childcare reasons), so I'm riding home at like 10:30pm and looking around, it felt like 1 or 2am. Kinda surreal. Kinda wanna do more night rides.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2020 edited

I recently learned about the underpass on Gilman St that goes under McGrath Hwy. Soo glad I’ll never have to wait at the light at Pearl and McGrath again.
    Oh man it's awesome, one-way'd so cars can't use it as a cut-through. It was closed for bridge work the first year-ish that we lived in our current house, so we had to bike SmallFries over to the Cap via Pearl. Then when it opened we'd use it toward school, then wrong-way it on the way home because that was still better/safer then Pearl. After several months or so of that, the city incorporated it into the Neighborways program and added signage for contraflow cycling.

We're mostly back to Pearl now though because SmallFries is at East Somerville school, and in the fall his brother will be too. Still worth cutting over to Gilman on the way home though because with all the construction traffic Pearl is super backed up.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2020

Yeah, and it’s not just the long ass light, Pearl has been really annoying with rush hour congestion, not to mention the bad pavement, narrowness, 80 bus, etc. Also, is the construction in Ball Sq finished? I looked up my route to the Minuteman path on Google map, and it took me right through Ball, even though that bridge looked thoroughly closed a couple weeks ago. That’s been my main way to get the fuck out of the city so I can actually go biking.
    I don't remember the dates for that one but there's no way. i was over there a couple weeks ago and it was closed, anyway.

The nice thing about Pearl in the morning (timing dependent) is the crossing guards wave you through the 4-way ped crossing light after the peds are clear. And apparently drivers actually call to complain about that.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2020

I haven't left the house in 2 weeks and I can just feel my legs dissolving. I'm going to have to get those Brighton hill muscles back from nothing :( still not setting up the trainer though"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2020

haven't been able to do anything for 4 1/2 weeks, another week and a half before i'm allowed, looking forward to pumping up my tires and laying down for a weekThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    got a short (~2mi each way) ride in last Friday but it was just my regular commute, had to go in and check on freezer alarms

Tonight i will prob ride over to Allston to pay rent on my band's practice space. Not a super ride but it'll be nice to get out on a bike.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2020

I had to go out to pay rent at my studio and get groceries and I could not believe how many cars were out. Market st in brighton had literally as many cars as ever (maybe even more for a weekday afternoon), harvard was a little lighter but still way more than I expected. Such a weird mix of drivers being more careful and drivers being total dicks speeding and laying on horns at each other. Saw a bunch of idiot bros just making vroom noises. Lots of joggers. They should probably call a lockdown because people just aren't getting it

I know, I was out too and maybe everyone had to drive to drop off a rent check, but idk, seemed excessive"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    They told us to hold on to rent for now so I didn't have to go to Allston after all. I did do a solo ride from like 8-9pm, saw a few other bikes, a bunch of people going for walks (either solo or with someone that looked like an SO so they prob live together), only a couple people not social distancing. Relatively very few cars, all were chill.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2020

I went for a ride around Mystic Lake yesterday and there were definitely a lot of people that had the same idea as me. It wasn’t 4th of July level popularIty, but I decided to get out of there and do the golf course hill on the Winchester side of the lake. There were a lot less people, but still more than I usually see up there.
    I need to think of some routes. The Minuteman was very nearly empty at ~8pm but probably too dark for me- my headlight is good for being seen, but not so much for seeing.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2020

have you heard the good word about GENERATOR LIIIIIIIGHTS? As a lazy person, it's the fuckin shit. As a pretty stupid person, they're not that bad to set up. Lmk if I can help!"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

even the cheap ones are great for lighting a totally dark path"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

just move to ohio, or even better, indiana! we're so far over in the time zone that the sun is up later in the evening, problem solved =P
    going to bed at 9:30 in july when it still looks damn daylight in my room...That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    haha

I have generator lights on my townie that's been out of commission for months. The rear one isn't working anymore though and I haven't been able to figure out why.

I haven't ridden in situations that dark regularly enough to bother getting a brighter light. TIL NOW.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2020

biked 30 miles today (first 'real' ride since winter/surgery), most of that on very flat trail, decent number of people out but everyone seemed to be keeping spaced reasonably n such. my lungs killed the first third, but then i forgot about it and by the time i remembered they were over it...That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    nice! i need to get out more.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2020

if only the weather wanted that to happen!That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    it's more of a time/energy issue for me but yeah that's not helpingDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D