Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2020 edited

Fuckedy fuck it’s going to be high 60s- low 70s this weekend, and I’m trying to ban myself from riding until Memorial Day weekend. That’s just an arbitrary date that I set, so who knows, but I might have had COVID-19. I’m thinking that because I was at my friend’s house on March 5, then had dinner with another friend on March 15, and down the road I found out that both of them think they had the virus. Meanwhile I started getting flu-like fatigue the week after that dinner, and since then most activity on the bike makes me feel like I got hit by a ton of bricks. I certainly hope I can get tested for antibodies at some point.
    ugh dude that sucks

Maybe you heard but all Somerville residents can get a free test- not the Ab one but for active infection.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2020

I haven't had to get bike muscles from pretty much nothing in a long time and wow were my thighs sore after riding like 9 miles to my studio and back the other day. It's gonna be rough getting back into things"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Yeah, i haven't ridden more than 2 miles at a time/4 miles in a day since the very beginning of the shutdown. Nine would mess me up too I bet.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2020

next time i move, remind me to check that the wind isn't QUITE so often in the 15-20mph range? sure 'blowing green' is better than wy was, but still. my commute's 5 1/4, and it's soooo much slower on the way backThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2020

had a dumbass brodude attack me out of nowhere on a lower allston side street, like revved and STEPPED on the gas right behind me to force me into the parked cars, then ran a red. It's gonna be a bloodbath when all these idiots are back out there after everyone forgot how to drive and are extra mad at life :/"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2020 edited

I had so many terrible interactions with brodudes in Allston. One slammed on his brakes when I gave him the double-finger after he cut me off and caused me to run into back end of his car. Another was playing a game of floor it / sudden brake behind me to force me out of his way when he accidentally ran over my back wheel. Road-rager shitbags.

EDIT: The first guy had the nerve to try and make me pay for the taillight my knee had broken. I never returned his calls. The second guy was immediately sorry and walked with me over to the bike shop and paid for a new wheel on the spot.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    yeeesh. glad you're ok.

It still surprises me how consistently better people are (in my experience) North of the river. Far from where we need to be, but like...nowhere near the shit I hear and see on the Boston side.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

plz stay alive everyone <3That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

These all happened ages ago. Before I met anyone here or before there even was a here. Did we ever have an "epic accidents / crash reel" thread? Because I could throw down in that category. I was a pretty aggressive (ie: stupid) rider and it got me into trouble on too many occasions to count.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2020

there's the ms paint thread...That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    • CommentAuthorryan t

The few times I’ve verbally let a driver have it I felt pretty bad about it later, even when it was totally not my fault.

Slightly off topic but once I ran into a friend’s rear wheel on a group ride, and his rear cassette chewed up my front spokes (somehow I’m still using that wheel). I think it was just bad timing, like he stopped pretty quickly when I happened to be looking down, but now I have a legit excuse in the future if some roadie gets on my case about not riding in a perfectly straight line.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

I'm gonna have to bring back the Buffalo Safety Phone, people are being so unpredictably stupid and shitty. Today I had to use Arsenal st for like 1/8th of a block and some asshole sped up on me while a semi blocked us both in and called me a "skank""life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

TBH, I do not miss Boston drivers in the least. Even if there's an occasional shooting or armed robbery/manhunt in my neighborhood.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    good lord! :(

but for epic crashes...

a_lion:there's the ms paint thread...

DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Yesterday was dramatic, it's true.

Je ne ms paint pa.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    BOOMDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

View post on imgur.com

I give up on image hosting, but I felt inspired by the classic ms paint"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2020

dramatic indeed!That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo

full-on embedding code never works for me here, i just use a basic img tagDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2020 edited

I rode out to Concord today and thought I would check out the Reformatory Branch Trail, and it turned out to be a piece of cake on my road bike with 23s! It definitely has some really nice scenery too. Also stopped off at Louisa May Alcott‘s Orchard House, where she wrote Little Women. It was closed, but still pretty cool from the outside. Oh yeah don’t go on the minuteman trail at least during peak times. There were so many people not wearing masks despite there being a bunch of signs. I ended up bailing and just taking Mass Ave.
    so what you're saying is we're not gonna have the lowest transmission rate in the country for long, eh? ugh.

that trail does look super niceDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2020

Cases rising everywhere else. Chances are: you're next.

^^I did that trail ages ago, on 23s as well. Can vouch. Really pretty!Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2020

I guess probably like 1 out of 10 people (or less) were being bad, but when the Minuteman gets busy it just feels like a lot.
    if anyone wants a little bit of cobbles, Ames at Memorial

Also, I really like the little cycletrack between Broadway and Binney, but 1) it just ends on the Binney sidewalk not at the crossing, and 2) why the fuck did they make it out of the spongy playground surface?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2020

every fuckin day on my ride home all i'm thinking is that "it's fucken wimdy" pictureThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2020

Maybe to keep cracks from forming because they cheaped out on construction? I'm pretty disappointed in the 1,000,000 curbs they installed across the Western cycle track, that are all raised above the asphalt now"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2020

If all asphalt were changed to spongy playground stuff I actually don’t think I would be upset.
    ^^this is the worst, i'm seeing that everywhere. And I bet you're right, i'm no expert but it doesn't look like they really graded/etc it properly

^hah yeah roads too! I actually kinda wonder if they really did a good job of that, would it get wrecked right away by traffic or would it actually hold up?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    another day another time buzzed by some asshole from NH that couldn't wait half a block to get to burger kingDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2020

had a bizarre interaction with a NY plate the other day, they were following me in the bus/bike lane on Brighton ave in allston laying on their horn, we both turned right on Cambridge st and he kept driving down the bike lane in front of me the whole time"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    wow...what?

also i feel like i've been seeing a lot of broken glass recentlyDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2020

same, I feel like it's been a while since I've seen a street sweeper? Weren't people trying to get them to stop sweeping so they can keep storing their cars on the street for free while they're not commuting?"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    haha yeah maybe they're winning?

my street has definitely been swept at least.

whoof, I just made it from MGH main to One Kendall in under 9 minutes, which I think is p good considering it was my steamroller with big wide sweep bars and a huge basket. And that I'm incredibly out of shape. Picked up a liver section, and I was expecting there to be a lot more dry ice around it.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2020 edited

^Oh man that's some straight up bike messenger shit. Though I mainly delivered microscope slides of whoknowswhat.

Andy, what's the weirdest shit you've had to deliver as a messenger? I had to deliver granite samples from Charlestown to the Bay, which were definitely heavy as shit. I did a lot of driver work since Marathon didn't have a driver. (EDIT: Driver work on my road bike, that is. Longest distance I biked for a drop was....Lowell and back. Eep.)Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    holy shit Lowell?!

I like playing fakeinger for my company, we used to get frozen liver cells a lot from MGH and I'd volunteer to make the run. Also because you're not allowed to take BL2 materials on public transit or Uber/etc. People do it allllll the time but I'm the safety officer at my company so, lead by example?

It was drizzling when I left work in One Kendall just now, wasn't prepared so I had a nice skunk stripe coming into my neighborhood- which is 2 miles away and completely dry.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    also on my way to MGH i opposite-direction passed the courier who does our Abcam deliveries now, and i really super felt like a poser hahaDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2020

I think I was being hazed, but Gary Kilgore Trout told me never say no to a job so I just said yes to everything. I didn't really mind. Those long runs made me as much money in one drop as a whole day of piddly downtown hops.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

we're not allowed multiple people per vehicle currently at work, am i'm enjoying the occasional excuse to bike somewhere as part of the work day!That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    nice!DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

stone samples are common, there's a design place on A st that sends stuff all over. The more questionable companies give even bigger rocks to bikes (flagstones?), I would usually just get coaster-sized pieces. I didn't get too many weird things I remember atm, definitely a few medical samples I don't ask questions about but that's rare.

You can't really refuse a lot of jobs, if you're being asked to do it it's because they don't have other options available, someone has to and it's going to suck about as much for anyone and they might be busy. Dispatchers can definitely be assholes though, one time I complained about the shit pay and then all next day he was like "we're sooooo busy! Uhh go from dt to the far bay to pick a bank deposit" and then I'd get it and he would say "wow getting slammed today! Uhh call clear downtown". It sucks getting reminded that dispatchers have that much more loyalty to the shitbag boss than they do with the people doing the work that gets them paid while they sit in a comfy office (they don't even pay me! Why tf do they care), but they super do not give a shit about you and just want the work off their board with minimal complaints from you.

My advice to new people is 1) don't trust drivers 2) dispatchers aren't your friends, and your boss DEFINITELY isn't 3) be nice to building workers 4) don't ride like a ding dong 5) cruiser bars"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Nothing like implied threats of violence to start off the week!

Got buzzed going over the railroad bridge on McGrath, the shoulder is still full of traffic barrels and trash so I'm riding like 6" left of the white line. Of course I catch up at the Medford/Highland light and just kinda wave a "slow down" motion. She passes me again in front of the new building and starts yelling the only thing i caught was "don't come near my car that's how people get shot."

Of course despite her efforts to speed away I catch her again at the Somerville Ave light...oi.

NY plates, what's with all the NY plates I'm seeing on stupidly-driven cars lately?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2020

can we just ban NYers though fr, or at least just ban their cars?"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    that's be great

Can we also just ban car alarms? I did not want to wake up 45min before my alarm this morning.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2020

can car people just stop it in general, please"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    pleeeease

Although I drove my car today for errands that I could have biked, but I didn't want to show up all sweaty for my haircut and I didn't have enough time to take the bus.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2020

as long as you weren't a ding dong about it"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    no ding donggery!DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2020

Medford street is repaved between School St and Magoun Sq, which is amazing because it desperately needed it, particularly for going the downhill direction, BUT for some reason the Ball sq bridge is closed for construction again, or at least it was yesterday.
    Oh man Medford St is sooooo nice now, just bombed* down it with both kids in the trailer an hour ago!

*relatively speakingDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D