Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2020

they un-paved most of a mile on my commute yesterday, so it's that textured shitty under-layer until they get around to re-paving, which i hate, but turns out makes your voice real quality for shouting that 4 non blondes what's up songThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    hahahaha excellent

i actually don't mind the shitty texture too much, normally. unless it's a really long section.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2020

makes my hands angry
    they had paved it by this afternoon anyway =)That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    woooooDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    This morning I was stopped at McGrath and Washington St on my way into work and see a construction guy driving a big front-end loader through the intersection (on Washington), and he's singing "Everybody Needs Somebody to Love" at the top of his lungs and it was great.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2020

Lol nice"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    ugh it's so miserable out, humid and windy (no trackstands, actually commuting in the drops), at least it wasn't raining anymore

I had to lane-split up McGrath from Pearl with traffic backed up at the Highland/Medford light, due to some BS cops/construction trucks on the shoulder- when the light turned green and cars started going, this guy in a pickup truck was cool and let me over in front of him. When he passed me again we waved to each other then I noticed his truck is covered in Trump stickers...hope he saw the Antifa patch on my bag, haha.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    nice morning to have to detour on my commute (somerville to cambridge but had to go to allston quick today). A little windy but nice.

Conservation of ream: I got right-hooked by a fucking Uber pulling into the fucking Merc dealership on McGrath. Stayed up though, and I got to pound on a car and yell real loud, so it could have been worse.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    it's actually kind of hilarious because i'm always getting mad that their "rideshare pickup/dropoff zone" is the bike lane, when they have a goddamn parking lot

so now i get hooked by an uber going into the parking lot...DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2020

To be fair, you could still want them to load in the parking lot AND be actually trained to do the job and use their fucking mirrors"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    so true

and also, and i know this is very advanced, maybe check blind spots?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2020

ASKING WAY TOO MUCH THERE BUD, WHAT IS THIS A WAR ON CARS"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    to dream the impossible dreamDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    just saw a person in an SUV come reeeally close to taking out a guy on a motorcycle at McGrath and Washington St, going outbound on McGrath then trying to bear right onto Washington St from the left lane. I think they actually made contact...I rode by slowly 'til I could hear the biker was okay (stayed up)- man he was amazingly calm talking to the SUV driver.

Oi. That whole area lately.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    this is the beater i should have locked at assembly on sunday

it's kind of a janky deathtrap and man that saddle...not meant to be ridden without proper cycling shorts that's for sure. But every time I ride this in the wet, it just makes me want to put full fenders on every single bike.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    also it has 23c tires, yuckDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    surprisefries:also it has 23c tires, yuck

>28c or gtfoYO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTime6 days ago

It’s getting pretty lonely over here being the only human left that likes 23s.
    Why do you like them?YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTime6 days ago

ryan t:It’s getting pretty lonely over here being the only human left that likes 23s.

ftfy

=/That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTime5 days ago

Because I’m stranded in the middle of nowhere after flatting multiple times on my 23s? True.

banana truffles:Why do you like them?

I actually only have 23s on these one wheels because they’re older skinnier rims meant for skinny tires. Some 25s that I had on my other wheels just seem bulky and sluggish, although I guess better cornering is important. I imagine trackies still use them because it’s on smooth boards or even pavement.
    i'm just waiting for these to get worn out so i can replace them with 25s or even 28s

unfortunately my IF only fits 23s... haven't actually tried putting bigger tires on, but there's very little fork crown clearance with 23s on.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTime5 days ago edited

That’s too bad, maybe try 24s or like a more expensive race’y 25c? I have some Specialized Espoir Elites just as a durable tire, and they seem big compared to an s works, or whatever.
    • CommentAuthorMJ
    • CommentTime4 days ago

ryan t:Because I’m stranded in the middle of nowhere after flatting multiple times on my 23s? True.

banana truffles:Why do you like them?

I actually only have 23s on these one wheels because they’re older skinnier rims meant for skinny tires. Some 25s that I had on my other wheels just seem bulky and sluggish, although I guess better cornering is important. I imagine trackies still use them because it’s on smooth boards or even pavement.

23's on the velodrome when you're riding on wood or very smooth concrete.

I ride 25's at the velodrome in San Diego, the pavement is a little too mixed for me to be 100% on 23's here, but there's a set sitting in my parts bin that I keep on telling myself that I'll swap over to.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTime4 days ago

I've noticed the pavement in Seattle is chunkier than the pavement in Boston (probably because they have to repave less frequently). I'm usually a 23 guy but I'm tempted to put 25s on.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    i rode 23s for a long time and was fine but once i sized up, i never wanna go back. Much of the pavement on my commute is pretty shit though even for Boston.

^by chunkier do you mean even more torn up? Or just a rougher texture?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTime4 days ago

I do a lot of tire sizes and I like 23s fine"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTime3 days ago

^^Just a rougher texture. Like you can see chunks in the asphalt sometimes. And there are a lot of streets still paved with old concrete slabs and expansion joints every 20 feet or so.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    • CommentAuthorMJ
    • CommentTime3 days ago

Outside of TT, and track, there's no reason to ride 23's.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTime3 days ago

But street creddddddddd........Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    ^haha

I think they're probably worse for big boys though, we gotta run 'em at higher pressure- mine are like rock solid- when Mrs.Fries rode 23s (she actually still might), her tp was at least 20psi lower than mine.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTime2 days ago

Hey, 24x1s only come in so many options lol, narrow tires are the least of my bike worries"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    fair enough

Took out a roadie this morning (not my IF) bc i have to pull the boys around later. Haven't ridden a freewheel bike in several months, let alone with multiple gears. Whee. Easily keeping up with cars is fun. I do miss foot retention though - it has flat/spd pedals but i changed my shoes to ATAC.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D