Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

The streets all looked white this AM on my ride in. I assume this is either from salt, or someone lost a TON of cocaine.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthor0x000000
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2008 edited

last night, probably 6-630ish, there was some nice black ice in the shaw's parking lot on western ave. i went to turn and took a nice little spill; slid some. i am beginning to realize that my falls must look horrific to pedestrians, because the lady that happened to see this one started freaking out, saying something like, "get up! can you move your legs?" i fell on my u-lock and bruised my ass.what does he commute to clowntown on that thing
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2008

nice black nice?

Raf made a good point- falling off a bike, physically, is very funny. Veyr very funny.dongpincher 1000
    ^can be a pain in the ass however.

Hahahahaha.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2008

warning to all: there is a deadly pothole on tremont across from the movie theater at the common. pothole actually isn't the correct word. potditch? potgorge? dunno. it's lethal though. i estimate that i could curl up inside of it. and become roadpancake, but that's beside the point...

that, in combination with the sheets off black ice, almost took me out last night. hooray for today being better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2008

cars splashed me this mornin'. mean mean cars.
    Got soaked coming to work this morning as well as yesterday. It kinda sucked at least I brought a dry pair of pants to work today.-LD
    felixnine: i am beginning to realize that my falls must look horrific to pedestrians

I'm astounded by how frequently people on here fall off their bikes.
    Wearing jeans this morning was a mistake. That makes two days in a row that I got completely sodden and would have been fairly dry if I left an hour earlier.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSoft T-Rex

^I second that, not that I have any other options. I seriously need more rain appropriate cloths.Hey, aren't you a dinosaur?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby

wool tights! they're magic.

if it's a complete downpour while commuting i'll wear shorts and leg warmers even in the 30's. but if im out in it for more then an hour, jeans with wool tights (when it's that cold). they dry fast, insulate very well when wet, and you can't feel how wet your pants are, you'll only look as though you pissed yourself. also, i have had dickies that seemed to never soak in water, until you wash em once, so don't ever wash your dickies.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDan Roch

pete! gigantic:
    also, i have had dickies that seemed to never soak in water, until you wash em once, so don't ever wash your dickies.
    its trueEverybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaning they are unemployed - Prince Philip during the recession in 1981
    •  
      CommentAuthorSoft T-Rex

thats something I had meant to pick up for winter but never did for some reason. I'll have to do that.

Also any good cheap means to keep feet/shoes dry other then the ol' plastic bag trick?Hey, aren't you a dinosaur?
    •  
      CommentAuthorgregwhits
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2008 edited

i second dickies work pants... when they get wet, they dry very quickly. i wore them on a school trip to nantucket last year where it was raining the whole day and i was outside. my pants would dry between lulls in the storm and sitting in the van. i don't know about your washing claim, pete, since i wash mine every now and then. but they don't soak up water like jeans do, that's for sure. cheap and durable, and since they don't breath very well they are also kinda warm.

and wool is a good strategy as well. wool insulates even when wet. wool socks for colder, wet times, even if they seem a bit warm, pay off because if they get soaked you're feet wont die instantly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop

chrome shants dry good. i live in chrome shants and ua tights. word.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDan Roch

i think it has to do with the starch thats washes off when you wash them im guessing that keeps them more water resistantEverybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaning they are unemployed - Prince Philip during the recession in 1981
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2008

if ya haven't already left yer crib yet there's a few li'l slick spots. or there were earlier. and cars. there's cars out there too. and buses.
    Plastic bags are okay and all, but I really wish I hadn't stalled so long in coughing up the $30 for Sealskinz.

Just do it. You'll be glad you made the investment.Think you're escaping and run into yourself. Longest way round is the shortest way home.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2008

^ are these for your feet or what?
    Was going to get groceries and thought, "beautiful day! good for riding"

Weird f'n weather drop rain/sleet/snow on me from coolidge corner to quint, and then stops. WTF!
    Now my clothes are having to dry, I'm drying the bike, and it looks nice out again.

Does this kinda thing always happen to anyone else?clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthoraarn
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2008

^yeah, i was coming in from sommerville and got hit hard by the sleet...my face was burning when i got home. it always works out that the only time the weather is at it's worst is during the brief period that i am going to/from someplace.

i love my sealskinz socks...i rock them every day.(moscow)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

I was wearing a non-waterproof shell and non-waterproof footwear, and thought "oh I'll go to Market Basket real quick".. I got to the check out line and couldn't see across the street!!!! WTF is right...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks

Holy jebus, the ride from south station to my house was so fucking epicly cold. My thighs were like tingling-loosing-feeling cold, my neck was bright red when I got inside, b ut oddly my digits were unfrozed.dongpincher 1000
    • CommentAuthorraff I el

^did you leave your bike at south station all weekend?Geryon was a monster everything about him was red.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2008

it is windy this morning.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSoft T-Rex

dress warm! I just rode to class and its about 13 degree's out with a feel like of -14. Its quite windy too.

Colder then last night but it seemed a bit less windy(though still formidable), though I did go past the CSC last night and that was practically gale force over there.Hey, aren't you a dinosaur?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop

i was at bread and circus this mornin' and they a;ways say when it gets cold, "you're not ridin' your bike today are ya". i have on shants over tights and my fuckin' helmet on and big gloves. i should say, "nah, i'm autistic and the helmet is so i don't knock myself out when i bang my head against the wall for fun."

how come they always ask? it's funny. kinda.
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

I can attest to just how cold it is today. I used to live in Ohio and we had this kind of weather for months, I had forgotten how it felt to have frozen eye balls and frozen toes....now I remember.this wont hurt a bit...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

holy fuck it is COLD... I was layered up pretty well but my face hurts!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop

goin' into the wind on a totally flat mount auburn street i was standin' up and goin' all of 9 mph! good times!!! it's nice n' sunny out though.
    • CommentAuthorraff I el

i caught a crosswind on boylston at clarendon that almost put me under traffic. ok besides that though.

also, brunop, can we PLEASE have a moratorium on use of the word "shants?" even just for one week? please?Geryon was a monster everything about him was red.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2008 edited

dang. i cain't say sh**** or make a winky cuz jesse'll get all pissy. you cats are touchy.

can i say "manpri"?

"winky"
    • CommentAuthorraff I el

try seeing how much mileage you can get out of the word "cankle."Geryon was a monster everything about him was red.
    I guess you have to say "knickers," which is problematic in its own way.Word nerd
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

what's wrong with shants?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop

shantsshantsshantsshants

; ) ; ) ; )
    We shan't say shant.Word nerd
    •  
      CommentAuthor0x000000

DannyRocks:Holy jebus, the ride from south station to my house was so fucking epicly cold. My thighs were like tingling-loosing-feeling cold, my neck was bright red when I got inside, b ut oddly my digits were unfrozed.

holy mother of god, i second this. jesse and i were riding back last night too at around 1130 and the wind was so strong that i had to stand to pedal downhill.what does he commute to clowntown on that thing
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

^last night was killer not only because of the wind but because as of 8-9pm the cities of Cambridge and Somerville had not salted at all so the street were pure ice.. I rode to Cambridge Common around 7:30 and it was the iciest ride I've ever had..
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop

^salted like a mofo this mornin' though. my whip's gettin' eat up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

^ and ^^ yea it's like the roads are paved in crack. Crunchy.this wont hurt a bit...
    ^^which is why I opted for T today. That and I'm in a lazy mood. The only thing making me regret it is the sunshine.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

Yeah, no shit.. my street is WHITE
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop

if i get a tailwind on the ride home like the headwind i had this mornin', i'm SET muthafuckas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    estratton:^^which is why I opted for T today. That and I'm in a lazy mood. The only thing making me regret it is the sunshine.

Duder, why must you mention every time you choose to not ride the bike? It's cold, gear up, you'll be fine!
    ^yeah yeah... I'm getting more accustomed to the cold. Anyone come across the river on Mass Ave today? How's that wind?clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

I ride past Dorchester bay in the AM and man, I felt like at any point it might lift me up off the ground, I too am looking for a nice tailwind on the way home, last time it was this windy I FLEW. I didn't even have to pedal very hard, just sort of sat up in the seat and let the wind do all the work and it was electrified thunder-dome all the way home....zing!!!this wont hurt a bit...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBuckley!

Last time it was this windy, I caught a tailwind on Milk street downtown, and skidded about 30-40 feet while leaning back trying to stop before Congress Street traffic would consume me.The kid's gotta learn that the game never lets up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorhoooot owl

est -
    i rode across the bridge today it was pretty crazy, but the pedestrian's faces were really amusing!um, hooot hooot
    •  
      CommentAuthorSoft T-Rex
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2008

Wow, I nearly decided not to go to class on my way there moments ago. Today's weather is the best we've had in a while. Seriously if your sitting around right now reading this, stop, and go outside and enjoy the weather. I know I would if I wasn't stuck here in class.Hey, aren't you a dinosaur?