Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

thanks everyone! <3 it's certainly an amazing feeling knowing my next trip to the doctor will not be full of fear and hate. Well, maybe they still will be; i still hate the doctors office.'Cause i always say i love you when i mean turn out the lights.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2014

Congrats, Alex!

Also, this: Mayor Walsh makes good on his promise to go for a bike ride with Mook and Stidman::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

YEAH, NOW DO IT WITHOUT COPS BLOCKING THE ROAD FOR YOU, MARTY."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    SRSLY! The ONE BIG THING I want the lawmakers and cops to understand is that YOU CAN STILL GET HIT BY A SHITTY DRIVER EVEN IF YOU'RE OBEYING THE BIKE LAWS. Until they fucking realize that and stop ticketing cyclists to make biking safer, fuck it.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

^+100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorbuddymike
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2014 edited

Today I hate that I had my first root canal. I love that I am no longer in pain. I never in my life looked forward to seeing a dentist until today.
    Didn't Menino get hit once?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    ^I was trying to find that article, but yes, I do believe so.

buddymike:Today I hate that I had my first root canal. I love that I am no longer in pain. I never in my life looked forward to seeing a dentist until today.

Related, TIL that I went to the dentist and he allayed my fears that I have absolutely destroyed my teeth over the past few years (haven't been to the dentist since 2011). Some staining and two very small fillings needed where prior filling/sealant has degraded over the years, but that's it.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthorbuddymike

A few weeks back I scheduled a regular check up, but this snuck up on me. I was literally up all night last night in pain and Motrin, Ibuprofen or Excedrin didn't do shit. Oragel worked like once for an hour, but repeated use doesn't have the same effect. Like, the pain I have know after the root canal is NOTHING compared to what it was prior to the procedure. Stay on top of your teeth! The dude asked me how much I smoke a day. I told him I quit almost 4 years ago, but drink tons of coffee.
    Yeah, go to the damn dentist people, I had to have oral surgery a few years ago because I hadn't gone in several years, and an old root canal had become super infected. I had an abscess the size of a gumball that almost made it through into my sinus cavity. Go to the dentist.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    but also do your research and go to the right dentist. I have 4 fake teeth that were put in by a really shitty dentist that charged me like $3000 and I have to go back and get two of them replaced and its only been like 3.5 years.'Cause i always say i love you when i mean turn out the lights.
    If anyone needs a good dentist the one next door to UA in the north end is super legit and not that expensive. They've been here for 40+ years so I'd say that speaks volumes.

Also they have this mad cool 3d-scanning machine and CNC machine that makes you a fake tooth modeled directly after your old tooth...in like 20 minutes.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    Timely discussion.

last week I had my first cleaning in like 5 years. No new cavities (good news) but some big issues with real old fillings (real bad news). Looks like I am going to need two root canals and a crown, and my insurance doesn't cover it.

Anyone had any luck/info on Tufts Dental School? I could certainly use it about now.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    • CommentAuthorJimi
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2014 edited

I didn't think I was gonna weigh in on this but damn guys... Definitely have to take care of your chompers. I make false teeth (as some of you know) and it's the really fugly mouths that are always the worst when trying to fabricate a prosthetic.

killersim:but also do your research and go to the right dentist. I have 4 fake teeth that were put in by a really shitty dentist that charged me like $3000 and I have to go back and get two of them replaced and its only been like 3.5 years.

that sucks ass, who's your doc?

Craigglesofdoom:Also they have this mad cool 3d-scanning machine and CNC machine that makes you a fake tooth modeled directly after your old tooth...in like 20 minutes.

It is pretty cool, but it's not as accurate. My company works with those machines on a larger scale and we have a fare amount of issues with crucial parts of the tooth's anatomy. Granted I'm probably just bias but nothing beats a quality hand made crown.

chr|s sedition:Timely discussion.

last week I had my first cleaning in like 5 years. No new cavities (good news) but some big issues with real old fillings (real bad news). Looks like I am going to need two root canals and a crown, and my insurance doesn't cover it.

Anyone had any luck/info on Tufts Dental School? I could certainly use it about now.

Sorry to hear about the RC's, Tufts outsources their lab work to Mexico... that's all I'm gonna say on that matter. I could possibly help with the crown once the RC's are done.Hi, my name is Jimi and I'm a bike addict
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2014

chr|s sedition:Timely discussion.

Anyone had any luck/info on Tufts Dental School? I could certainly use it about now.

We refer a lot of our students there because many are uninsured and can't pay the fees of full on dentistos.
    Overall -- it's good. Run of the mill work is nice and relatively timely. It's very much a clinic setting; first come, first serve. A student will work on your under the supervision of a dentist. If you need additional tests/work done, they can set up appts or make referrals.
    The one negative thing I've heard is you spend a good amount longer in the chair sometimes, but hey - I'd rather the take their time then quickly drill the wrong hole.
    right?
    ^ Noted. Thank you.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthortinyhonkshus
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2014 edited

Harvard also has a dental school clinic in Longwood, I think maybe my boss goes there?

eta: Also, I know about zero details, but Mass Health has dental plans now, maybe it's possible you could sign up for one that does cover your needs? Root canals are expensive so it might be worth paying more for the insurance.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

entirely useless info: both my parents went to tufts dental
    With a root canal I would probably NOT go to a school.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    • CommentAuthorJimi

^seconded.. Vicodin pleaseHi, my name is Jimi and I'm a bike addict
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2014 edited

I found out yesterday, a few hours before my first and only rehearsal for the oratorio I'm singing in Connecticut tomorrow, that WE'RE NOT DOING IT IN SPANISH.
    This would be enough on its own, except they also FORGOT TO SEND ME 5 PIECES OF MUSIC .

At least it's a concert (so, on-book, not memorized), and I know I read English *really* well. At least they're short and relatively slow. But I was really hoping to use all of my extra time to really iron out the trio (which is the trickiest thing and the only one of the ones I had in advance that I didn't really feel comfortable with), and yesterday we had the bass but not the baritone and the baritone isn't coming in till tonight, and he's flaky.

Quitting in this kind of situation would actually be justifiable, but it would leave them in a terrible situation and this is a low-profile gig so it doesn't need to be great, and I actually believe I can learn it all well enough to feel comfortable with everything by tomorrow. It just sucks that I'm stressed now.

But on the bright side, they put me up in this fucking gorgeous mega-luxury condo. Just the bedroom alone would be like $500 per night if it were a hotel room, and I've got the whole apartment to myself until the baritone arrives tonight, and even then, I'm not even positive he's staying here. I'm going to go now and take my music into the jacuzzi and work on it there.

photo 20141205_233426_LLS_zps7a1a3476.jpg  photo 20141205_231534_zps09e87814.jpg  photo 20141205_232001_zps9d62dac3.jpg::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    That's "low profile gig" housing? Damn.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkossmonaut
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2014

note to self : go lopro
    I think I need to add you to my list of "weirdos I admire"i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

Oooooh who else is on your list?We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

^^

**blush** I am flattered to be one of your weirdos!::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

Also, Pro Tip: Jacuzzi studying is THE BEST KIND.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    tinyhonkshus:I think I need to add you to my list of "weirdos I admire"

If Dan is NOT in your top 5 of that list, then sumptin amiss!All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    joeyfresh:Oooooh who else is on your list?

Totes. Be fessin'All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthortinyhonkshus
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2014 edited

It's basically you (Chris), Tammy Deadbolt and one of my coworkers. And now Dan.

Essentially, when I sometimes get down about getting "left behind" by lots of friends getting married and buying houses, it's the people who I can look to and be like "Being a weirdo is a valid life choice, and when I make it a choice and not a 'lesser alternative' I will be better for it". It's something I've actually thought extensively about that's really helped me own my situation.

Dan may be a married property owner, but I think he's weird enough to overcome.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2014

^That's awesome.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    joeyfresh:^That's awesome.
    truth. Rad outlook/reasoning.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    • CommentAuthorObo
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2014

tinyhonkshus:Dan may be a married property owner, but I think he's weird enough to overcome.

May we all aspire to such lofty heights and strike inspiration in hearts everywhereI ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    tinyhonkshus:It's basically you (Chris), Tammy Deadbolt and one of my coworkers. And now Dan.

Essentially, when I sometimes get down about getting "left behind" by lots of friends getting married and buying houses, it's the people who I can look to and be like "Being a weirdo is a valid life choice, and when I make it a choice and not a 'lesser alternative' I will be better for it". It's something I've actually thought extensively about that's really helped me own my situation.

Dan may be a married property owner, but I think he's weird enough to overcome.

I think that's a compliment. :)All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    definitely. but the vagueness is why I don't necessarily try to compliment ppl with it. Joe said I should, but then I told him a thousand stories of Marianna compliments gone awry.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

Her stories are surprisingly convincing. At first I was all no freaking way and then 20 minutes later I was like okay maybe you have a point.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    Intrigue, curiosity, and confusion all around.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

UPDATE: I sang the SHIT out of it. I received a paycheck and a bottle of whiskey. (When the conductor found out I hadn't known that I couldn't buy liquor after the show on Sunday due to CT blue laws, she specifically had me swing by her house to give me a bottle from her own stash so that the baritone and I could get shitfaced in the swank condo.)

tinyhonkshus:definitely. but the vagueness is why I don't necessarily try to compliment ppl with it. Joe said I should, but then I told him a thousand stories of Marianna compliments gone awry.

Well, I didn't perceive any vagueness -- I immediately took it as a HUGE compliment. :)

Also, it would be remiss to have a conversation about people making weird and wonderful life choices without mentioning Slomo:
    Slomo::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2014

TIL: facebook creeping Winston Porkchop."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    I don't want to jinx myself but this year is ended much better than it started.
    So heres to a new house, new man, cancer-free, credit card paid off, new bikes, 2 top 10 finishes this month in CX, my ma coming to visit for the first time ever, and new friends. Cant wait to see ya'll friday and some of you again on New Years.'Cause i always say i love you when i mean turn out the lights.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2014

killersim:...new man...

I'll bet Pfist is psyched that he finally got in them draws.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile mick
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2014 edited

somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    ^Ti bike by Firefly?
    yeppp. mtbsomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    killersim:I don't want to jinx myself but this year is ended much better than it started.
    So heres to a new house, new man, cancer-free, credit card paid off, new bikes, 2 top 10 finishes this month in CX, my ma coming to visit for the first time ever, and new friends. Cant wait to see ya'll friday and some of you again on New Years.

SHIT YES!YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2014

seanile mick:

Sweet is that yours? And just curious why the head tube looks like that, I mean without the angled rim for headset bearings.
    Bearings just add weight... introducing, the NoHeadset!
    •  

Yea it is!
    It's a normal straight head tube (44mm), not for integrated bearings.. but i may not understand what you mean..got any pics of what youre talkin about?
    The ends of headtubes are all faced flat to interface with pressfit headsets bettersomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    • CommentAuthorryan t

Yeah I was talking about a head tube that is designed to accept integrated bearings. Are there any advantages to the pressfit style, or is that just what Firefly makes?
    •  

note: steerer tubes are measured in inches, head tubes are measured in millimeters

integrated headsets (head tube acts as the cups for the bearings) arent terribly popular because the head tube is susceptible to damage if the bearings go bad.

internal/zero-stack headsets (press-fit cup style, but the cups fit inside the head tube), most modern road bikes use this with 44mm head tubes, are not available for 31.8mm head tubes (1" steerer) and i haven't heard of it for straight 36mm head tubes (1 1/8 steerer). these are marketed as allowing for stiffer front-ends and less stack due to the external portion of standard headsets.

standard/external/outboard headsets (press-fit cup style, cups are outside of the head tube), standard for most non-race bikes with 1 1/8" steerer tubes, but are available for 1.5" steerer tubes as well. just as capable as internal press-fit headsets.

then there's threaded and threadless 1" and 1 1/4"..

head tubes themselves are a different thickness and are butted at the ends where the cups are pressed for the sake of protecting itself from ovalizing, so they can't really be cut from standard long tube-stock. so most builders source head tubes from companies like paragon machine works, which is what firefly does i believe. as for choosing one headset style over the other, they could certainly do an integrated headset, but i'd imagine they'd try and talk you into doing an internally pressed headset which has the same function as an integrated headset but none of the risk of damaging the head tube/frame.

the head tube i'm getting, being a straight 44mm head tube has a fair lot of headset configuration options, i'll be getting one to fit a tapered 1.5" to 1 1/8" steerer tube, so it'll be external at the bottom, and internal at the top.

below is a good infographic (here's a larger pdf version); "integral" = internal:
    somebody turn the lights off on this place already.