Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2015

Are you here now? How long are you staying? (Until your house purchase goes through?)::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2015

Going back to Boston next Wednesday. We're mainly here to get the f away from Boston for a bit, and looking at houses and talking to realtors and thinking about options. This airbnb is fuckin sick though, $57/night and it's a whole 1 bedroom apartment. They even stocked the fridge with beer."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    yesssDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2015

Nandy:They even stocked the fridge with beer.

I fucking love Canadians. Oh wait, they're New Yorkers. WUT?
    (It took me a while to get used to this.)::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2015

O yeah. I got used to asshole NYCers, now this place feels like the Midwest. Everyone is so friendly and people in the city get along and help each other out! Imagine that."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    so awesomeDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2015 edited

^ This is Ari who comes on BBP rides and other such things, usually rides green Bianchi Volpe. Cool guy.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    • CommentAuthorJimi
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2015

I was there, it was pretty cool but someone went through and knocked it down..Hi, my name is Jimi and I'm a bike addict
    surprisefries:yesss

I like Price Tag, too.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    Jimi:I was there, it was pretty cool but someone went through and knocked it down..

May have been public works who did that. Not really safe from that standpoint. Def. cool thoughNaaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    • CommentAuthorMJ
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2015

TIL: The two kids I coach in high school diving for went 3rd and 6th at states and made All American cuts!
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2015

Would you say they really made a splash this year?"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

dove into it headfirst
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

but also isn't the point of diving to have as small a splash as possible?
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

Nobody likes a know-it-all."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    6kidz:Nobody likes a snow-it-all.

clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    • CommentAuthorMJ
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2015

rock dathe:Would you say they really made a splash this year?

rock dathe:dove into it headfirst

rock dathe:but also isn't the point of diving to have as small a splash as possible?

Hard to pass on the pun, but yes they certainly did! I'm incredibly happy with the way it turned out this year, there were all kinds of scheduling problems with the snow storms but they did incredibly well.

I'm mostly hoping to leverage this to coach at a college, even though I've had to turn down a few of the smaller ones over the past few years ($$) this may help push it over.

There's a million different factors in how a dive is scored; little to no splash does play a large role because that does help to indicate proper angle on entry. However there are some people, no matter how bad the angle on the entry is, proceed to rip the hell out of it and end up with no splash anyway, the people who throw out 10's for those kind of dives are bad judges.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2015 edited

Yesterday was new volunteer training day at Rochester Community Bikes.

I learned how to use make custom-sized spokes with a Z-bend tool. Until then, I didn't even know that such a tool existed, and now my mind is blown and my world is completey changed.

Step 1: Hold longer-than-needed spoke up next to spoke. Mark bend point on the HAMMERED SIDE of the spoke.
    Step 2: Cut off the hammered side at the old bend point.
    Step 3: Use Z-bend tool at the new bend point you marked to create new bend in the side you cut off. THIS IS AS GOOD AS A HAMMERED SPOKE END. The threaded side remains unaltered.

The guy who showed me how to use this thing said they have done a bunch of durability tests on wheels built with this method and have seen no difference between these and regular spokes. The Eldi tool does not exist anymore, but they told me that the ones farmers use for lawnmower throttle levers work just as well, which are apparently the same thing as the ones model airplane builders use for their throttle levers. Less than $20.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2015

That's really strange to me, I guess since I'm only used to seeing threading machines (cut off the threaded end to length, then re-thread). This is way cheaper though. I wonder if it's really as good as a hammered end though...I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2015

Hub Bicycle got featured on Gizmodo for their reflective paint jobs.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2015 edited

Do you even klunk, bro?

ETA: Also, with dawgs.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2015

Those giant ad spaces at the top of Cambridge st finally changed to something not anti-abortion, and I love seeing bike commuters out! It's the little things."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Is it a big year for high-vis yellow, or is this just a not-commuting-to-longwood thing?i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    Hi-vis has been in for a while now, and not just for cycling.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2015

^For sure.

I'm definitely seeing more bikers wearing it now though.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorkossmonaut

newton was doing street cleaning down all the major roads this morning, hopefully boston will do the same soon. all the gravel and grit and salt is getting annoying
    • CommentAuthorben

Somerville Ave heading toward Union was getting swept as I rode down it this morning (fortunately far enough behind to not get pelted with fumes and debris)I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    surprisefries:Hi-vis has been in for a while now, and not just for cycling.

Well I guess everyone biking to Longwood is too busy not wearing a helmet, carrying bags on their handlebars and toting their wife Dutch-style to worry about hi vis gear, and I live in the new century nowi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    tinyhonkshus:
    Well I guess everyone biking to Longwood...

Enough said.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    I HAVE A FUNNY STORY FROM SATURDAY THAT I FORGOT

I went to this dinner party for my friend's husband's birthday, and there was much snacking and fondue and stuff, and everyone kept making jokes like "Oh, well if I don't eat it, Nemo will" and "oh, sorry, Nemo ate it" and ALL NIGHT I thought everyone was making AND getting Odyssey jokes, but then at like midnight I remembered that the cat's name is Nemo.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    kars4kids auto donate appDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2015 edited

TIL riding the Dalles Mountain 60 in perfect weather and having gone on a great ride every weekend since i got to Oregon

•  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2015

^that route looks sickk. maybe ride a better bike next time, tho?
    yeah what a shitty bike broYO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

SORRY I COULDN'T AFFORD ANYTHING BETTER THAN A PARLEE
    pffftYO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

beefy"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    • CommentAuthortristan

next time you want to reride that route let me know, because dangascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2015

TIL that the job offer I accepted yesterday is about 25% more than I was making in my last position.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

25%+ of $0 is still $0, ben.
    • CommentAuthorThreePete

congrats! i hope i'll be saying the same thing soon...
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2015

Today I was feeling really horrible about the state of humanity, until I watched this. I then felt much, much better.

Pixelated junk possibly NSFW.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2015 edited

Act 4 Women's artistic cycling team, Slovakia
    Skip directly to 5:08 if you're impatient::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2015

That made my arms tired just watching! Amazing stuff, I knew bum-bars were no joke.
    There's a similar video somewhere of a Chinese group doing this type of stuff, but it's much more VEGAS style and I think there's like 30 people in it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2015

If you can find that video, I want to see it. A search for "Chinese bicycle ballet" doesn't seem to yield anything like that.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2015 edited

Sry for not being a good internet-citizen! (I'm teaching my class and trying to post this haha)
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2015 edited

This is what happens at the Rochester equivalent of BFG:
    https://www.facebook.com/4loveoflife/posts/10203940671818092
    I am living in an alternate universe, where cops and bike gangs get weird together.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2015

My future 6yo nephew-in-law told his mother that I am his best friend! We've bonded over our love of all things Star Wars and Mario plus I am a wizard with attunement."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthorbuddymike
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2015

After being a paramedic for 5 years I finally had a someone in a second degree block.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2015

What does that mean?