Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2015

I think it's some sort of chuck norris headlock moveI have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorbuddymike
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2015

Morgie:What does that mean?

it means that dude was close to cardiac arrest with the rhythms he was throwing for us. He is now a 32 year old with a pacemaker.
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2015 edited

buddymike:
    Morgie:What does that mean?

it means that dude was close to cardiac arrest with the rhythms he was throwing for us. He is now Chuck Norris with a peacemaker.
    I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    today is my 7-year fixedaversary (forevernoob) and about my 7.5 year anniversary of everyday ridingDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    surprisefries:today is my 7-year fixedaversary (forevernoob) and about my 7.5 year anniversary of everyday riding

WOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooo

clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    So yesterday this guy comes in, he'd gotten doored and his front wheel was toast. Checked in, we had a wheel...no problem. he said he was going to have the lady who doored him call and pay for it. I said "Oh, lucky that you convinced her!" but he kind of scoffed and seemed doubtful.

Fortunately in a couple hours she actually did call - she paid for his work order and asked "Is there anything else I can get him to say sorry? I feel so bad and I can't believe that I did something so stupid." So she bought him a T-shirt.

Good people.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2015

Nice! I got super super close to being doored yesterday on the way to breakfast in union sq and the driver just stared me down with zero remorse."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    nothing says "fuck you too" like a UA t-shirtYou said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2015

Aww, look who's Debbie Downer today. That PacNW gloom got you down, Paul?::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    75, dry and sunny, everyone's so happy here I've got to try to piss craig off to meet my gloom quota.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    • CommentAuthorJimi
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2015

Challenged a friend to a race, from one bar to the next, him driving versus me on my bike. He did not take it seriously and it played out as a true tortoise and hare story.
    As he put it, "I was pulling up and he was coming down the opposite way full bore with the little red blinky light and flames coming out, and I said 'no fuckin way is that him'." He got out of his car as I rode up to the door of the pub and did a mad dash even though he had no chance screaming "NO!"
    So yeah, he bought 2 rounds. F'n love itHi, my name is Jimi and I'm a bike addict
    I'd just like to say for the record that pretty much every time I log onto this forum (which isn't much these days, you're welcome!) I think "man, I'm so glad Nandy didn't let "people" being assholes be a deterrent to staying here and posting awesome posts."
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2015

^+1

How many other Nandys have we lost by being obnoxious dick whips to them?Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

D'aww, you guys. <3"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

nerdo:^+1

How many other Nandys have we lost by being obnoxious dick whips to them?

pretty much
    • CommentAuthorben

I'm very often shocked at how rude this board is. The HueRays thread is a good example.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    This board would probably be a fascinating and educational place to hang out, albeit kinda quiet, if people stuck to being humane, treated each other with respect, and had the interesting conversations so many of you are clearly capable of.

(I fully acknowledge the irony of that statement coming from me)
    I feel like a lot of the people *recently* (last 2-3 years) who have been chased out opened with a dick move. Like "give me advice so I can tell you why your advice is stupid -> why is everyone being such a jerk [read: disagreeing] -> whatever you fixie kids don't know anything -> fuck you [homophobic slang]s"i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

do you guys actually want to hear what the sexist/clueless/overpriced-track-bike-selling noobs have to say? if you think bostonfixed is unwelcoming try THE REST OF THE INTERNET
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

TIL that I did a century yesterday with a dude that rides with Jan Heine and I didn't get dropped until mile 80
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

FUCK YOU, ALEX.

the bike party facebook is a great place for accepting everyone/all things! wow! such positive! great feels!

if you think that this is any place but a slowly-dying-irrelevant place for fixie remainders to get some solid circle-j, then you should probably take a step back and think again. (sry brojs)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2015 edited

i'm happy to help make it something better. but that's what it is right now. let's accept the reality.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

I don't think we've been that out right mean lately, most of that hueray stuff was just realistic criticism. I do feel kind of bad about that "bitch gear" guy. It seemed like he understood and was a decent person and didn't stick around. Then there was that kid nuggs said was posting too much and went away."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

IT'S ALL MY FAULT, GUYS. let's all just hug it out and say that everyone/everything is great! namaste.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

The problem is that to an outsider, a "fixed gear forum" is going to be about premium rush and deep vs and the things that made us join bostonfixed years ago. We make fun of this stuff because we lived it and looking back, we looked like chodes. But we had hella fun in 2007 and a lot of it was because of the scene and urban cycling/fixed gear explosion that was this huge party for three years.

Now the discussions have moved on and we're laughing at the fixie doods because in a way we're laughing at ourselves. I wanna talk about bikes and community and I've grown to like the people who comment here. I don't want to talk about aerospokes or street cred, and I bet a few of yall feel the same way.

I imagine that we'd attract more like minded people if we changed the name or appearance of the forum to something that better represented the community. It'd also not set false expectations of new folks looking for tips on backwards circles.

The forum hasn't been updated in 8 years or something and eventually it will become buggy and die. Why not modernize the code and the message before there's nobody left or things shut down?

*edited for grammar/clarity
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

phlfixed became phlbikes. THEY ALREADY FIGURED THIS OUT IN PHL, BROS.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

Other regional fixed forums are having a similar identity crisis now
    I don't remember how I came to figure out about bfixed, but it was definitely after my tarck bike got stolen and I started getting into actually riding, and learning about, bikes and not just cutting my bars down and raising my seat. The name is kind of funny, because I feel like I see more photos in the new bike day thread of vintage cruisers, custom road bikes and mountainbikes than I do fixed gear bikes. I check this page pretty often, and comment fairly regularly, despite only having met a few of you in person (from before I joined), because it's nice to have a place to talk, ask questions and learn things about something you care about from a community you're a part of (regionally).and then the time will come when you add up the numbers
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

I don't think the name is all that relevant, and I'd rather not be confused with Boston Bikes or the BCU or the Bike Party. We probably have a higher percentage of people who have fixed gears (shitty to steezy) than those other groups and could answer questions better."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

"Nondiscriminating but Mildly Abrasive Bicycle Riders of Boston forum""life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

guys, i hear zev has a bike forum.
    • CommentAuthorben

DaveSnark.usI have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

I vote for simply "BostonFixed, where nobody rides fixed or lives in Boston anymore."::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

I was going to post pics of my sw33t custom fixie when it gets parts this week, but I guess I missed some kind of trend and it's not cool anymore...

Really though, if y'all are riding freewheels with rim brakes on rainy days like this, ur fuckin up. Likewise, if you're riding a beater fixed on a nice day, ur fuckin up. What I'm trying to say is everyone should have multiple bicycle choices, like having the right tool for the job. I'm totally not making up excuses for my bike problem, fixed bikes have their place IMO. We should save our mocking tones for hybrids."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Oh I totally agree- I still have a fixed that I ride on days like today. Not a beater but a steamroller with Schwalbe CX pro tires is great for rain/snow/fun.and then the time will come when you add up the numbers
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

Your "this community already sucks so I'm gonna shit all over it" attitude doesn't help anyone. I spend time on other regional forums and other internet locations and still find the attitude around here to suck more than most.

Nuggetross:
    if you think that this is any place but a slowly-dying-irrelevant place for fixie remainders to get some solid circle-j, then you should probably take a step back and think again. (sry brojs)

no one is forcing you to stay....
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

OH FUCK YOU'RE RIGHT, MORGAN. you got me. i didn't realize the error of my ways. i knew something was wrong! i was so snarky! it was the internet. something was amiss...

please take this as my last post. there's no need to remember me. i'm already dead. rip nuggetross. rip forever. rest well, sweet prince.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

•  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

(~~WHOA MESSAGE FROM THE SPIRIT WORLD~~)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Maybe just write "I AM A SARCASM/SNARK MACHINE" in your sig."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

The point I'm making is that the forum needs some changes or it will die eventually

Mods where you at? I proposed updating the code a while back and it was ignored
    I have tried to run an update when prompted, multiple times, but it always times out on me. I also don't know how to computer so maybe that's why.

nobody will miss you davis

Nandy ya jerk stop making me feel bad 'cause all my bikes are beater fixed gears and i love them.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

rock dathe:The problem is that to an outsider, a "fixed gear forum" is going to be about premium rush and deep vs and the things that made us join bostonfixed years ago.

Maybe, but I think I could sit in my living room tomorrow with a few bfixed friends are enjoy watching Premium Rush, sounds like a good night!

rock dathe:We make fun of this stuff because we lived it and looking back, we looked like chodes. But we had hella fun in 2007 and a lot of it was because of the scene and urban cycling/fixed gear explosion that was this huge party for three years.
    Now the discussions have moved on and we're laughing at the fixie doods because in a way we're laughing at ourselves. I wanna talk about bikes and community and I've grown to like the people who comment here. I don't want to talk about aerospokes or street cred, and I bet a few of yall feel the same way.

If you want to talk bikes and community and not have to worry about fixies and aerospokes Paceline of Bikeforums are still an option. Really there is no reason to be a dick to someone new to the forum because they only recently bought their first fixed gear, I get it, I've talked to a fuck ton of newbs too, but when I don't want to talk about something for the 500th time I just don't. I don't get why people feel because this is a web based forum being an asshole to people is acceptable. You can use the internet as an excuse all you want, and you are absolutely right that there is nothing I can do to stop you, but that doesn't make being a dick any more right.

now, someone buy that god damn Langster I posted so i can go back to proudly saying I don't own a fixed gear, having that thing in my basement is killing my street cred.
    • CommentAuthorMJ

surprisefries:I have tried to run an update when prompted, multiple times, but it always times out on me. I also don't know how to computer so maybe that's why.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/18145/update-from-1-1-8

Not really simple overall since I've never done it myself, but from the process I read, back up this forum, install new version and then restore data from old version.

Although from reading a little bit, it seems like a lot of it is just having ftp access and dropping the new files into the server.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

Man, if you guys think this forum is full of people being dicks you should try spending five minutes on the classical singers' forum. This place is the fucking Care Bears by comparison.

Don't worry about it too much. If people want hugs for selling ET dick grips for $99, they can go to the Boston Bike Party Facebook page.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2015

^+1

Boston fixed: more welcoming than pedicabbers."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    pocky:Man, if you guys think this forum is full of people being dicks you should try spending five minutes on the classical singers' forum.

Or TarckbikeDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2015

I flew to SLC and stayed with a dude I met on tarckbike and then we went to an MC Hammer / Vanilla Ice concert.

He was Mormon and had 3 kids.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    ben:I flew to SLC and stayed with a dude I met on tarckbike and then we went to an MC Hammer / Vanilla Ice concert.

He was Mormon and had 3 kids.

Hello! My name is elder ______ .....clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2015

My nephews (ages 3, 5, and 8) are staying with us for two weeks. I took them to my shop and my manager told me to let them pick out any bikes they wanted, to ride while they're in Rochester.
    The 3-year-old, Devon, picked out a Dora the Explorer bike. After he selected it, I looked down and noticed the "no brake" decal on the seatstay.

Turns out it's a sw33t f1x1e! I am so psyched. The training wheels are coming off tomorrow. He will be doing sick skidz in no time.
    ::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus