Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2018

a_lion: til - the guy who does adventure programming for the park district called me today to see if i wanted to join a meeting he's having at a bike shop next week, to talk about organizing rides next year. i guess the park district has a bluetooth system where craig or i would have a microphone, and everyone else would have a single headphone, and we'd talk about... ?? i don't even know. presumably he has ideas. he did a program where you could carve a pumpkin and then shoot it with arrows, so i trust him to have good ideas.

had that meeting at the bike shop yesterday, and the bike shop is going to expand their duathlon series to include one on park property, do some co-branded bike maintenance classes including very basic repairs using the repair stand thingies installed along our trail (which would be followed by a short, slooow ride led by craig or i), we'll do some guided rides with the headset situation, and they're looking at parks and hoping to find somewhere to do a gravel or fatbike race.
    yay bikes=)That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    That's awesome!

I'm planning to leave my bike at work tonight so I parked in the (small but adequate-ish) bike cage, inside the One Kendall/Binney St. garage. As I'm walking out I see this magnificence, part of the 399 Binney construction:
    DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2018

There's this problem at the local food coop where asshole drivers keep tossing their carts in the bike racks instead of putting them away. Tonight as I was locking up this person was walking straight towards me with a cart, they got like 6ft away and I looked up and they made an abrupt 90 degree turn and walked their damn cart right back to the cart storage in the store's entrance, and gave me the stink eye on their way back to their car. It was great."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2018

haha toolbag, had to walk an extra 10 feetThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2018

New Smash Bros is lit, folks."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2018

i cooked a bunch of 30s recipes and the whole park district came over today and we all ate too much and everyone was real happy <3
    plus we confirmed that pickled cranberries do make some niiiiice chicken saladThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    awesome!DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2018

fuuuuuuck yeah finally bought my own version of bike CAD, so many new features in the current version! Gettin all the cool vidja games lately"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2019

got a ricotta making program coming up soon at work (that i'm leading) so today i tried making the cheese, plus a beet ricotta hummus, and both were delightful (plus i made pitas at home tonight for the first time)
    also, stewart, that guy that totally shoulda been fired back when he was shouting at my boss and i about being the thought police when we told him he has to stop using certain offensive language, didn't blow up at me when i gave him a verbal warning today (which, despite the name, requires a signature) cuz he totally fucking misread his schedule and didn't come in yesterday, so we weren't open and the animals weren't fed all day. and yes, what i take out of that is somehow the positive that he didn't throw a fit about admitting doing something wrong? god i hope my boss works up to firing him soon (Except not because he's leading a moccasin-making class over the next 8 weeks that 10 people have paid $30 for?)That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    yikes, poor animals.

beet ricotta hummus sounds awesomeDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2019

the board was really into the hummus today! such a very good color.

and yeah i'd sworn those precious perfect kittens would never go hungry and he made me a liar =( (they have so much food and catch mice daily, but not the point)That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2019

wait, an 8 week class for $30? That seems super cheap"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2019

it's 4 sessions, one every other week, does include your moose leather and all the other necessary tools/materials, but generally all our shit is cheap cuz we're tax funded. my ricotta making class is free!That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

ps, hummuses (and homemade pita!)That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    yummDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Did you use lemon juice to form the ricotta curds, or did you do it with cultures? I've done both, but the lemon juice is so much easier....Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

lemon juice - wanted it to be THE EASIEST POSSIBLE for people to go home and do again themselvesThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

That looks amazing"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2019

Not quite "love" but today at work I sold a bike to this pretty odd old guy who recently had his bike stolen. He said, "I'm going to die soon, might as well spend money on bikes", then he called the store a while later to say thanks and that he really likes the bike, brakes work great, feels great to ride, etc. but that he'll probably send the bell back in the mail because he can yell louder."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2019

haha satisfying sale =)That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    role modelDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    TIL an old school boston fixer chrispiascik illustrated a kids book, and it just came out and it's great and the Small Frieses love it.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2019

Got 2 days off work for a blizzard, work 2 days, then another 2 day weekend #winterhours

Also I love my skinny tire fixed gear in snow, still the best all-around winter bike."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    I do enjoy a CX bike with knobbies in the snow, but never quite sure why people are so anti-skinnies on a fixedgear in the snow. Always worked pretty good for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2019

sometimes I forget and be like "I'm going to bring out the mountain bike because it's super shitty out" and I get half a block with no traction and turn around to get my skinny fixed gear and it does fine.

I'm definitely in the "ride whatever the fuck works for you" camp, because people's winter bike preferences are all over the place and IDGAF, just shovel your sidewalks, kids"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorStinky Cheez
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2019 edited

I had some specific questions I wanted to ask on Bikeforums, so I finally went back over there. Semi amusing thread in the Classic & Vintage section about winter bike preferences. Go figure opinions are all over the place.

I am a person of many opinions regarding snow removal. I always was irritated by my neighbor in Somerville who'd gallantly go snowblow other neighbors' sidewalks, and then track his damn snowblower over my freshly shoveled sidewalk. Snowblowers suck, they don't clear down to the pavement and it gets super icy. With a shovel, or even better, a shovel and a push broom, you can get to clear pavement and let the sun do the rest.

Pretty much I'm like crazy lawn people (I'm sure somewhere there's a woman who's obsessive about her lawn) but about snow. My lawn looks like crap because f fertilizing/watering a lawn.
    •  
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2019 edited

PS: My first moment of "holy crap riding a bike in the snow is insanely fun" was on a late 80s rigid Rockhopper some time in HS. Granted it involved a lot of drifting around corners at low speed, but fun all the same. For actually getting somewhere and not just puttering around I did eventually come around to preferring skinny tires on a fixed gear.
    hahaa i do appreciate when one of my neighbors gets us with their blower though. If you don't let it sit too long, you can still get it pretty clear.

I have been riding 23 or 25c slicks in the snow (fixed gear) since I started riding through the winter. I do like throwing the smallest size cx tire (32?) on the back though, keeping the slick up front. The mullet setup- you get a bit more traction in back with the small knobs, but the front slick still cuts through.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Just got back from several days in the Keys, which was awesome even though I didn't ride a bike once (SAD).

I'm super looking forward to getting back on my bike tomorrow, even if it'll just be my crappy but short commute.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2019 edited

Ha, we just got back from Captiva Island the other day (met up with my mother and stepfather, and my brother and his fam). We drove, because I am nuts that way. Was hoping to bring one of my bikes, but it didn't fit in the end, so we brought my daughter's bike and figured I'd rent a bike. Turns out there were two rental bikes sitting behind the house, so I rode one. It was semi shitty, wouldn't shift into the big chainring, etc, but I had fun all the same. Went on a 20 mile ride over onto Sanibel one day. Forgot how much fun random bikes can be.

At some point I looked up the rental shop the bikes belong to, I suspect a previous renter of the house rented them, but the shop staff was too lazy/stoned to go pick them up. Win for me!

Somewhere I have a photo of the bike, for the memories.
    Score! I think everyone with kids was in Florida this past week for school vacation. Friends of ours were on Sanibel.

Last time I was in the Keys (pre-kids, for a wedding with rugby buddies) we got shitty cruisers and rode all over Key West and it was awesome. We drive down to the Jersey shore every summer for my family vacay, and I always bring a bike and the trailer, even though it's cheap to rent both for the week. But they're generally cruisers, can't pull the kids super fast with that!DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    surprisefries:Score! I think everyone with kids was in Florida this past week for school vacation. Friends of ours were on Sanibel.

This I believe, saw all sorts of northeast plates, and overheard a guy talking to a family in the parking lot at Ding Darling (NWR) saying something about Red Sox fans and the family being from Brookline. The Sox had a spring training game against Northeastern on Friday, but of course that was the day we left before 4am to head home.
    Ugh how long was the drive? We flew and still had to leave Key Largo at 5am.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    It's something like 22 hours total, but broken up over 2 days. Getting up at 3 to leave was in the hope of the kids sleeping for a good portion. They did sleep some, but not that much. Made it to the planned stop in northern NC, ended up taking 13 or so hours I think.

On the way down we left at 7:30pm and I drove all night, made it to Brunswick GA that day (an hour or so from the FL/GA line). Frankly somewhat surprised my body is still capable of doing that, did feel kind awful for a day or two though. Upside is everyone but me slept for most of the night.
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2019

there's a va-fl car train that i've always thought sounds cool even though i hate amtrak... like a ferry, but a train not a boatThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    ^that does sound cool

Our kids have never transferred well, car-to-bed or bed-to-car. Wide awake for the 5am drive up to Miami.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Usually one sleeps, but not the other, or at least not at the same time. Learned that lesson when we drove to and from Virginia Beach last April.

I've never cared for Amtrak on the east coast. That and I'm impatient. Also it's 200 for just the car, plus more for people, and 260 if you want your car taken off fairly quickly.
    It's insane, I would love to take the train to visit my parents in PA but for all 4 of us it would cost almost as much as flying (and it takes about as long as driving).DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2019

got all my bosses over today and told them i want 2 columbia sheep, 2 merino sheep, 2 la mancha goats (and to get rid of the 2 saanen goats who are ASSHOLES), 6 chickens to partly replace ones we ate, and a washer/dryer, and got the thumbs up for all of it, plus told i'm doin' a swell job.
    how the actual fuck do you budget for a farm you're still developing idk, but i'm getting what i want and they're happy with me, so...woo!That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Nice! That's great

TIL in this dumb game I'm playing (Splatoon2) there's a co-op mode that's styled like a job and as you rank up you get different titles, and I got to profreshional and it took me a couple times to realize it's proFRESHional. Don't know how often joeyfresh checks in but thought they'd appreciate that."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

haha sweetThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    ^^^heck yeah, way to go!

^^haha. I'm not sure either, Joe's on fb a bunch and he and I text from time to time, but I think it's been a while since he's been 'round here.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2019

Got those 26x2.3 Compass tires and damn, so comfy. wow"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Tried to make a ridiculous impulse purchase online a week or so back, and it was totally unclear from the website whether the sale went through, but there was a charge on my CC that looked like it was probably for that, and sure enough... it showed up in the mail today. Spent quite awhile playing with the Oreo DJ Mixer. Fun times, sad it will probably not survive my kids for long.
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2019

ok that looks quite enjoyable! good purchaseThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    whaaaaat

a_lion:good purchase

secondedDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2019

Bike fest went great folks! I think it could have been even better with better planning, but now I'm stoked to hopefully get a better planning structure in place for next year (hopefully it not being a disaster won't go to their heads and prevent changes being made, if it does I'll quit). Georgena was awesome of course, and there were kittens in the building for some program we got to see."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Nice.
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2019

yay glad to hear it!

two families that came to my maple sugaring event are gonna try to make their own syrup next year, which is nifty =)That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    They were cooking down sap at one of the local sugarhouses over the weekend (same place in the photo though the building looks a bit different now, think they added a porch in the front where the cars are). I always like those swing-away panels to let the steam out.