Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2019

very cool!That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    This is a couple days old but a bunch of kids rode over the Zakim and into the O'Neill Tunnel.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Ha, I saw they were in the tunnel but missed that they came over the Zakim.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2019

I saw a lot of stunt kids like this when I used to commute through Dorchester. They'd be pulling wheelies on Walmart mtbs in the middle of the street going the wrong way into traffic. Shit that made alleycat races look quaint and genteel.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2019

I fuckin love wheelie kids. One year the 4/20 ride met up with them and they're RIDICULOUS. Like, six year olds HOLDING WHEELIES ON COASTER BRAKES FOR 10 BLOCKS STRAIGHT. They were getting annoyed with the messengers pausing at intersections for a break in traffic. They just go for it. Mad respect"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    f'realDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    The Cambridge Bicycle Ordinance is the law now.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2019

that's so great and at the same time such a basic step that should be standard everywhere. Way to go Cambridge!"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2019

into itttThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

we got our first two sheep yesterday and they were too spooked to be touched really, and now today the bigger one (got a yearling and a lamb) is like a dog when you find the right spot with back rubs, doing that leg kickin' thing. adorable!That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

awwwwwwwwwww"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    JFC apparently the last time I logged in and looked at the TIL thread was 5 years ago.Take-off everything but your rainboots
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2019 edited

welcome back to occasional cheeriness!That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2019

AlexxxxxxieeeeeeeeeeeeWorstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    HIIIIIIIIIIII

awwww sheeps!DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2019

went to a sheep class yesterday and was the only adult that hadn't brought their h-4/ffa kids. whoops?That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    haha, that just means you were the adult who could pay the most attention. I want to go to a sheep class.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2019

there was a guy in the shop today buying a bike who was excited to ride with his boys. Pulled out a phone to bring up a photo. His boys are parrots! Reminded me of pigeon-helmet guy."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    hahahahaha, oh man that's greatDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    holy shit, Grounding McGrath isn't dead!DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2019

I actually kind of miss that shit show now"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    I find that hard to believe! But also, I don't.

I think they have it designated as a level 4 road, out of 5, in terms of cycling difficulty. I was kind of surprised, expecting it to be a 5.

Also, now when I cross that iron bridge over the tracks between Pearl and Medford/Highland, there are places where I can see through down to the tracks. Which is just so comforting.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    I like the text that goes with it... I was going to argue "it's not thaaat bad" but then I saw the description. Yep, pretty much.

But yeah, getting rid of it would probably be... better... for a lot of people, particularly in terms of knitting neighborhoods back together (although, central artery?). I kinda liked it if you hit the lights right, you could be down past the Washington St exit before traffic caught up. Regardless of what they do there will always be the traffic. And I can't imagine they'd make it two lane in each direction on the ground (more capacity, but that usually just invites more cars).
    The overpass is already 2-3 lanes in each direction so I don't think it would increase capacity. If anything it'll make driving through take longer. Expecting a lot of pushback from suburban commuters.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorStinky Cheez
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2019 edited

ETA: I meant they'd probably make it three, but then I read the rest of the thing you posted and saw they were planning for 2 in both directions besides turning lanes.

I am the king of uninformed opinions these days. I should probably stop posting anything until I get more sleep.
    haha but what would be the fun in that?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2019 edited

tbh they should make it 1 lane each way for cars and let suburbanites die mad about it. Could really use some quality cycle tracks and bus lanes"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2019

TIL - went to put a $20 in the secret pocket in my bike stuff, turned out there was already one in there from, i'd bet, 2 years agoThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    ^NICE

^^haha, some of my coworkers who come that way complain about the GLX construction traffic, and fair enough construction traffic sucks, but long term I'm like, why should Somerville care about people who just drive through? And that usually gets them to stop.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2019

I am stupid excited about that bike path"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    no joke. Minuteman connected all the way in to Boston!DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Ugh.

I mean, that's awesome?
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2019

Will it meet up with the Esplanade path? That would make for some serious path riding.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    I hope so. It'll get you to North Point Park, so you could get over to Paul Revere Park and the locks or Washington St Bridge if you're headed to the North End which is doable but not great. Or, you could get over to 28 and there does seem to be serious talk happening about buffered bike lanes over the dam. Nobody's holding their breath though.

ETA bike lane with stanchions is apparently happening soon?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2019

Oh word, that's a spot in dire need of protected bike lanes (and I'm am totally ambivalent about protected bike lanes in general).Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2019

TIL Fleabag, on amazonThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    Oooh, I've heard that's good. I'm pretty into Barry right now, on HBO.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

never heard of it! Fleabag was short, and i very much enjoyed it, especially the second season (6 episodes each, <1/2 hour)
    nothing like her, but still some very relatable bitsThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    It's Bill Hader's show, if you like him. He's a hitman, trying to get out of that life and become an actor. But he's a very good hitman and a very bad actor.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

well, i had to google him, but i mean, maybe once i decided if i'm going to binge rewatch deadwood so i have any idea wtf before next week's movieThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    making bike route maps look like subway maps - I think this is great in concept, though I'm not sure how difficult it'd be to go from this to a route you an actually navigate.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    TIL pulling kids in the trailer at the shore, seeing how fast I can go with them happy-yelling in the backDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2019

TIL that i got to go to my player piano repair guy's shop (where he sold me some deeply discounted song rolls) to see his nickelodeon before he sold it. it's a modern one, so you download songs and stream them from your phone/tablet, and this piano that also has a xylophone, triangle, maracas, wood block, drums, cymbal, and cow bell in it plays it all automatically, and it has speakers so it can do lyrics/any other instrument sounds too. cool as shitThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2019

wow, that's pretty neat"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    whoa that's awesome! why's he getting rid of it?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2019

he's downsizing. already gotten rid of what he thought would be his last player piano (so, now halfheartedly trying to get me to sell him back the one i have at work, because he really likes it)

one of the rolls we got from him is accidentally The Gambler and i'm into itThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    niiiceDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2019

hosted farm fest this afternevening, jumped from ~300 people last year to 500+ today, with a blacksmith making a chain of hearts all day, hay rides through the new wetland, lots of games, samples of 6 kinds of things i pickled this year (5 of which came from our garden in the first place), donut on a string eating races (with relish i made as prizes), etcetc. big ol' success.That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    sounds awesome!DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2019

marty, this guy i know from bike rides (who tried to turn volunteering into dating late last winter but he now knows that that's unacceptable) is gonna make his winter project this year building up a 1930s bike until it works and then donate it to the (1930s living history) farm, which is pretty sweet!That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo