Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

I had 5 years of Latin, NERD ALERT.

Yeah it's an awesome program, and we were lucky to get in (it's a lottery and there's a lot of demand).DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2020

i did 3 years of latin in hs, which was as much as was offered and there were only 4 of us in latin three, sat in the back of the latin two classroom, then started over in college, plus added ancient greek. couldn't string together a sentence in either to save my life.
    you ever run into the livejournal group that would meet up at some cafe i used to know the name of in davis square to talk in latin?That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

dude, my cats are being so annoying today, I feel so bad for anyone who has to put up with human children on a regular basis"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

unless you like that, that's cool."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2020 edited

Of course we can’t bring up Latin class without watching The Life of Brian scene: https://youtu.be/wjOfQfxmTLQ
    hahahaha I knew what it would be immediately. I convinced my Latin teacher to show that clip in class (probably senior year), I think we watched the whole movie in Latin Club.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Nandy:dude, my cats are being so annoying today, I feel so bad for anyone who has to put up with human children on a regular basis

They have their moments but yeah, I miss school.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2020

I just got approved for unemployment for independent contractors, (although being a 1099 person means that my 2019 taxes are spread out over 2020, so I’ll be sending most of it back to the government anyway, not no mention the tax on unemployment$). The application was also incredibly simple, and they processed it the same day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

nice! I'm a 1040 and filed over 3 weeks ago and haven't heard anything at all"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

I've been on unemployment twice (the perils of working in nonprofits) and it always felt so random as to how long it takes.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2020

gonna try to focus on the good things not the things that make me want to scream so - getting an embossed rolling pin (the ones that put pretty designs in your cookie dough/pie crust/whatever) for free, to blog about, which is fun. also, i put a chick on my shoulder yesterday, after it was find hangin out on my hand for a while, and it was also happy enough to stay there (but...not potty trained, so... maybe won't repeat)That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    wow that pin sounds cool

aw what's a little chick poo between friendsDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2020

yeah i'm excited to get a pretty one, see how it turns out!

at least it was laundry day anyway...That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    That kinda reminds me of when SmallFries was a baby, he spit up (not a full-on vom, just baby spit-up) every single time he ate. He also had a knack for missing the burp cloth. I eventually just gave up and started going out with little spots of spit-up on my shirt.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2020

we got 4 acres of corn planted today with a '30s planter & tractor, and yesterday got our hay and pasture seed in, and it's supposed to rain tomorrow. perfect! (normally you want hay in before the start of may, but if you're out all of april...ooooh wellllll)
    omg and i did the paperwork to get ear tags (required by law to help track/eradicate whatever disease scrapies is) so next year we can breed our sheeeeeeps!That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2020

Cool! Do you just like rent a ram?
    sweet!

how's tagging sheep? I've ear-tagged a bunch of mice in my day but they're pretty easy once you get the hang of it, because small.

mmmmm cooooorn. Man the corn in Massachusetts sucks tho.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2020

i'm not sure if we'll actually bring a ram over, or get some frozen... stuff. gotta talk to the guy we bought our sheepos from. any ram lambs that're born'll go off to slaughter cuz they're just not safe to have around in our sorta sitch

i haven't tagged sheep yet, but i am already disbelieving the tagging gun that says it's designed to minimize stress to both animal and the person applying it. a problem for a future day!

the corn we've planted is field corn - for grinding into cornmeal not for eating off the cob. we'll probably plant a small amount of sweet corn once we get the bigger garden area plowed up. turns out popcorn is also a separate type of corn - if you just heat feed corn or something, it won't pop.That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    • CommentAuthorryan t

a_lion:any ram lambs that're born'll go off to slaughter cuz they're just not safe to have around in our sorta sitch

Yes Clarice...

But yeah I forgot that lamb chops come from lambs. Maybe they could neuter the rams so they can be kept around because they do looks pretty cool with those horns!?
    Yeah i only recently learned that about popcorn!

My dad (who grew up on a dairy farm and from whom I got my corn snobbery) would always tell us how they plant the feed corn next to roads, and the sweet corn farther in- so that if people steal corn they're only getting the shitty stuff. And I can confirm that, one time my friend and i swiped several ears of corn on a road trip, cooked and tried to eat them when we got home, and gave up pretty quickly.

I think the tagging is probably pretty low-stress, once you get good at it.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

horns is about breed, even male columbias don't have horns! (also we have to merino wethers (fixed males) - they've got no horns, and are enough non-breeding sheep for us probs)
    if we have, y'know, 2-4 lambs a year, we should be good at tagging in, oh, 2224?

did my first video editing today, if you wanna see yesterday's corn planting - https://www.facebook.com/CarterHistoricFarm/videos/566238184314609/That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    very cool, nice job!

My grandma and grandpa had to sell their dairy farm when they were too old to work it and neither of their kids wanted to take over, but they kept sheep for a long time after. I don't know/remember what breed they were though. They had one ram and maybe 6 ewes. There are some funny stories around those sheep (escaping, chasing us kids, etc.)DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

it's really a bummer there are fewer and fewer family farms, just megacorps that all are part of the network of the 4 big meat packing companies... but yeah i mean my parents wanted my brother and i do grow up and take over their dental practices, and that was a big nope from both of us. gotta do what you wanna do! (And bonus if you can keep sheep around!<3)That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2020

i just watched the video. Fun! So it plants two rows with each pass?Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2020

yes. old timey corn was much further spaced out than modern corn is planted. this stuff should grow 10-12' tall! there's a historic mill in the next park district over that will be grinding it. which is cool. everything is cool. we're farmin' now!That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    ^that's awesome!

Fortunately my grandparents were able to sell to their neighbors, also independent farmers who were looking to expand. I believe they still own it but I'm not sure. They kept a bit of cornfield and had a house built there for their retirement. It is a bummer in a way though, I have a lot of good memories of running around that farm with my cousins when I was a kid, secretly playing in the barn where we weren't supposed to go. Daring each other to touch the electric fence.

One time through Air BnB we got a room in a little farmhouse in western Mass, and I took MiniFries for a walk and was telling him how my cousins and I used to play hide and seek in the corn field at my grandparents' place. Then I got distracted looking at deer and mountain lion prints in the mud (very cool), I look up and MiniFries is just gone in the corn. He was like 3 or 4 at the time, and the corn was about8 feet high. It probably only took me 10 minutes to find him but it felt like hours.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2020

hahah can't even be mad, since you just told him you'd done it

videos of people touching electric fences online...i think must be a lot more intense than ones i've touched. it's very uncomfortable, but not 'get launched like in jurassic park' level unpleasantThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2020

I used to play hide and seek in corn fields too (grew up in Iowa, in the 1800s apparently). Those plants can cut you!Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    whaaaat, i mean electric fences hurt no doubt but i've never jumped more than like, touching something hot

One time my grandpa's sheep got out and he was chasing them around (he must have been in his 80s at the time, he lived to 94) and then was complaining to my dad that he felt shocks and must have touched the electric fence, and my dad (who is a Dr.) was like DAD THAT'S YOUR PACEMAKER STOP CHASING THE SHEEP.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Oh yea and you don't have to run through a cornfield backwards and naked to get hurt, those leaves can be sharp!DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2020 edited

haha oh jeeze

our smartest sheep recognizes the rattle of a box of nilla wafers, and the others will follow, so minimal chasing required

^maybe this is where our old timey, further spaced our corn shines!That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2020

I just killed it at furniture Tetris so I could move a big ass dresser into my room. Somehow it now feels like there’s even more space in here :)
    haha so satisfying!

old-timey spaced-out corn rows are prob better for the soil too, just not for maximum productionDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

surprisefries:
    old-timey spaced-out corn rows are prob better for the soil too, just not for maximum production

in some ways yeah, but one thing they did for part of the '30s was check row planting (=checkerboard rows), so it was spaced evenly maybe 38" in both directions, using those whole fuckin PROCESS that was a nightmare to do, and then it was suuuper obvious to your neighbors if your rows weren't straight, because from either n/s or e/w it should be perfect rows, and that meant they could cultivate (get out weeds) in both directions, which they would do even in parts of the country with hills, and it caused hella erosion there. not a problem here, where it's pancake flat!That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

oh also today our farmer guy brought in something i'd read about yesterday, a corn knife. it's a footlongish blade that straps on around your ankle, and you grab each corn stalk and stomp/jab/cut it off, and just look like either a dangerous doofus or a total badass...That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    ^that is awesome

I was a big marching band dork and I can't stand crooked rows.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2020

band nerds 4 lyf

oh, also nifty, got approval so we're gonna give most of our produce to a food pantry type place this year. the one non-church affiliated one i could find in the area =P figure there are folk that need it more than we do, and it's not like i want people coming to the farm for canning programs anywayThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    hi5DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    TIL MiniFries is going on 2 wheels now! He can't turn yet (doesn't help that we're practicing on our street with parked cars), but he can start from a dead stop, and stop reasonably well.

I knew it would click as soon as he got the confidence.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTime4 days ago

^Amazing!!Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)