Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2020

that! gonna get a basket.That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    oh hell yeaDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2020

new Hum https://www.tor.com/2020/06/23/book-reviews-the-angel-of-the-crows-by-katherine-addison/
    also, our new tractor makes the tightest corners, it's wild https://www.facebook.com/notsopoluphloisboisterous/videos/10102051390927948/That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2020

got in touch with a coworker's husband this weekend, who works at a brewery, and he talked with his boss this week, and they're going to use some of the corn we're growing now to make a cream ale...once it's harvested, and milled at the local historic mill. i don't drink, but i think we'll be able to lure a whole different type of visitors than usual with our own beer!That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    ooooOOOoooo awesome!

also the new Hum is good!DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2020

surprisefries:also the new Hum is good!

i haven't listened again, waiting for my physical copy for unclear reasons =PThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2020

semi accidentally made a s'mores pie, think i might be a wizardThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    ooOOOoooDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2020

I just got a sticker pack from ESTONIA, neat"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    sick. Estonia seems like a cool place from what i've read.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2020

got errands done by 9 so i could be back and lounge about half listening to real life cycling for hours, and it was grand <3That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2020

sheep shearer guy came up from amish country today, told me that e-bikes are now more common than buggies down thereThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    wait what?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2020

some communities allow a surprising amount of tech, but only if it's for work, so their employers buy the ebike, and take it out of their check over the months, and i guesssssss that's what makes it ok??That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2020

partner spent a few years in PA and always talks about this rad mennonite he knew there who would sell produce from his pickup (okay because it's used for work) and would just give away loads of food because he couldn't make more than 10k/year to avoid paying taxes, because the government will use it for war. There's obviously lots of variation between groups but always admired that firm commitment"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Oh for sure. I mean there are Mennonites on the West coast that are waaaay more liberal than PA/etc. One of my college girlfriends mentioned that she's Mennonite and I was like.........what?! The Mennonites around where my dad is from drove cars but they were all like black/gray in color, very basic, etc. There were Amish horse and buggies as well.

I once heard an interview with an Amish guy, over the phone. The phone was in a separate little building (essentially a phone booth) that was off the main building (furniture shop) - so it was for work, but it was also separate because as he said, it's not the technology itself that's bad but the distraction from what really matters (family/work/religion/etc.). So they could have a phone because they needed it for work, but it was outside so as not to be a distraction. I have to say I like that.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2020

the main guy/company that makes horse treadmills with a PTO so you can use it to power an ice cream churn (or other things, but my main focus is my farmer's market startup, HORSE FRAPPE, where both the churn and blender are horse powered and we charge crazy money) is i think mennonite, and doesn't have a website, which i have been annoyed by several times in the last 2 yearsThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

HORSE FRAPPE?!Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

it's the ideal business plan, and i won't believe otherwiseThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2020

The horse gets exercise while everyone else bombs themselves with calories... sounds good to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Counter plan: The business is called "Spin Frappe." You ride a stationary bike which drives, first, an ice cream maker, then powers the freezer for the several hours it takes until the ice cream is ready, and, finally, it powers the frappe machine. At the end, you've burned roughly the same amount of calories that you'll ingest from the frappe. TAKE THAT, SHARK TANK.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    ^would, though.

also horse frappe. i could see that being a thing people just need to see.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

i've seen just a bike powered blender. i...am pretty sure i'd pay money not to do that whole process though =P

big horses are a draw (at least to me)That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Amendment: Big horses ON BIKES!Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    haha what could go wrong?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2020

Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    bwahahahahahahaDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2020 edited

actually kind of janky because i have very little experience with stained glass, but i did this with my dad in the last few days. thinkin' about asking a blacksmith lady i know to help me make it a table, with a flat piece of glass suspended above the wheel, maybe? cuz i have nowhere to hang this in the sun...

uuuh sorry hopefully someone who knows how will make the picture a less stupid size soonThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2020

Sweeeet! Post a video of it spinning if you can! I also like that it’s a fir rim.
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

well, now i'm back in ohio so have no one to hold it while i film or vice versaThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    i edited it down for ya. just add "width=n" inside the image tag, without the quotes. I made it width=1000 here.

That is awesome!DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorkossmonaut

hypothetically, could you still mount a tube and tire and ride it?
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2020

kossmonaut:hypothetically, could you still mount a tube and tire and ride it?
    hypothetically yes, but it's mega heavy and you're bringing your own glass shards to ruin your own day...That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    mega heavy just equals more momentum once you get going!

and you could always make it with a rear wheel, so any glass would only get people behind you...DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D