Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorLHtrustme
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2008

After sorting through and printing photos from Australia and NewZealand all day long I DEFINITELY feel it's time to leave again. time for some Europe.

I need suggestions. I love to mix the must-see-tourist-stuff with the hidden gems/walks through the woods/open landscapes type of stuff. I'm leaning towards two months abroad in order to let Europe sink in a bit.
    Where to go? London, Paris, Berlin, Stockholm are on the list, but I'm open to ANY HELP!

Or you can email me. thanks!no one gets a shovel at this shit party!
    Who the hell are you, and how can I get into your bank account?Word nerd
    LH: My boyfriend is a Swede. He grew up in Stockholm, and came over here when he was 18. We've gone back over to visit his family a few times. Amazing city, and most people also speak English, which is nice. If you ended up deciding to hit Stockholm, let me know. I can help hook you-up with a ton of info. I also hear amazing stuff about Prague. Should check that out if you can. London is dope as all hell, too. I assume you'd be doing all this during the summer months?All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    • CommentAuthor.
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2008 edited

Ive never been to Europe so I can't recommend good times.
    But (as cheesy as this sounds) if you want a touristy time get some guidebooks. Eyewitness books are great. There's even "Not For Tourists Guides" for London.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

this is a little of point.. but if you wanna have a really awesome time spend a little more of plane tickets and a little less once you get there and take a trip to South Africa instead. Cape town is where euro chicks go to party, and good lord are they fun to party with ;-) You can also get some good karma by donating some time working one of the millions of cool places in need of assistance in ZA. Spend a week getting good karma, a week partying for hella cheap at some awesome bars/clubs, a week traveling the national parks, and a week doing cheap wine tasting tours..
    • CommentAuthorGrim Ryan

chr|s sedition:LH: My boyfriend is a Swede. He grew up in Stockholm, and came over here when he was 18. We've gone back over to visit his family a few times. Amazing city, and most people also speak English, which is nice. If you ended up deciding to hit Stockholm, let me know. I can help hook you-up with a ton of info. I also hear amazing stuff about Prague. Should check that out if you can. London is dope as all hell, too. I assume you'd be doing all this during the summer months?

I have also heard very good things about praque, great mix of culture, history and fun it seems.Duffman Can't Breathe
    • CommentAuthorhannaelise

I'll be living in Rome for the month of July and then backpacking with my friend Jason for the month of August. When are you planning on being in Europe? You can definitely crash with me in Rome. I'll be living at John Cabot University in Trastevere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks

Just dont be a pretentious middle-class twat aboiut it and talk about how "meaningful" it was and how it changed your life. Ugh.

If you end up doing greece, take the ferry out to crete and hit up chania, beautiful city and dirt-cheap for europe. Be ready to drive stick and, uh, die, though- it has the worst automobile accident rate in western europe, no safety rails over twisting mountain roads, bullet holes in the speed limit signs.. it's a classy spot.dongpincher 1000
    •  
      CommentAuthormur

adding to the above, if you do venture to Greece and want to save some moneys, considering ferrying around the Greek islands and camping. camping is relatively cheap at the designated spots. you pay like 5 euros per night (at least that was the average cost in 2004) for a small covered (by something like a corrugated tin roof up on posts) plot of land, and there are usually running water showers (and crappy rudimentary cooking areas). the camp grounds are most often right near the beach, and the weather (at least during the spring/summer/fall) is generally perfect for outdoor sleeping.

camping on the Greek islands was a very meaningful experience for me. it changed my life.~(..,)~ (oYo) make whoopee not war (oYo) ~(..,)~
    Posenger Pigeon:Just dont be a pretentious middle-class twat aboiut it and talk about how "meaningful" it was and how it changed your life. Ugh.

If you want that kind of experience goto Zimbabwe right now, or join the army and goto Iraq. That will change your life.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    • CommentAuthorbluedog

Go to Austria. Vienna is pretty cool (though I've only spent a couple days there) and Graz is the bomb (I spent three weeks there). Northern Spain is beautiful, and south western France (the atlantic side) is great too. Really you should just go hang out in Basque country. If you make it to that end of France, go to the town of Guethary (I think I got the spelling right), it sits on a cliff overlooking the ocean and has a beautiful beach. Someday when I'm burned out and rich (never, at least the rich part) I'm going to move to that town and drink cheap delicious french wine on the beach all day.

Oh, and Venice blows. It's ridiculously dirty, expensive as shit, full of really obnoxious tourists, and the locals don't seem to like you, though they are happy to take your money (not that I blame them on the first count).that's when I reach for my revovler...
    •  
      CommentAuthorLHtrustme

Posenger Pigeon:Just dont be a pretentious middle-class twat aboiut it and talk about how "meaningful" it was and how it changed your life. Ugh.

Don't worry. I've backpacked Australia, NewZealand, and Vancouver, swam the Great Barrier Reef and driven coast to coast 5 times and nothing has change my life. Everything sucks. And I've driven opposite-side stick shift. The only person I almost got into an accident with was some asshole American on the wrong side of the road!

chr|s sedition:LH: My boyfriend is a Swede. He grew up in Stockholm, and came over here when he was 18. We've gone back over to visit his family a few times. Amazing city, and most people also speak English, which is nice. If you ended up deciding to hit Stockholm, let me know. I can help hook you-up with a ton of info. I also hear amazing stuff about Prague. Should check that out if you can. London is dope as all hell, too. I assume you'd be doing all this during the summer months?

Info would be awesome! Do you know any people over there willing to talk email style? Don't assume. haha I really want to do it after NewYears but we'll see how to pans out. But I'd LOVE to see Sweden.

hannaelise:I'll be living in Rome for the month of July and then backpacking with my friend Jason for the month of August. When are you planning on being in Europe? You can definitely crash with me in Rome. I'll be living at John Cabot University in Trastevere.

Thanks! If I am over there in the summer, that would be awesome to have a place to crash and Bostonians to hangout with and share stories! Whisper me your email!

bluedog:Go to Austria. Vienna is pretty cool (though I've only spent a couple days there) and Graz is the bomb (I spent three weeks there). Northern Spain is beautiful, and south western France (the atlantic side) is great too. Really you should just go hang out in Basque country. If you make it to that end of France, go to the town of Guethary (I think I got the spelling right), it sits on a cliff overlooking the ocean and has a beautiful beach.
    OK! Graz and Guethary are on the list to look into! I'm a sucker for cliffs overlooking oceans. I made sure to visit Tom Cruise's "Point Break" beach in Australia just to see those cliffs in person! Not sure if if I will make it to Spain or Greece, we'll see what I can fit in...

The Bernese Alps are at the top of my list so far. Everything revolves around getting to see these.no one gets a shovel at this shit party!
    • CommentAuthorPork_sword

Tagged along with family to Nice (pronounced more like niece) and it was beautiful but expensive. Beach was topless, I was in seventh grade at the time so I loved it. I'd recommend stopping there if you're nearby, even if you're not all about tits.
    LHtrustme X:Info would be awesome! Do you know any people over there willing to talk email style? Don't assume. haha I really want to do it after NewYears but we'll see how to pans out. But I'd LOVE to see Sweden.

Sweden is very dark and very cold during the winter. Sun never really comes up all the way. Yet, it is a petty amazing "winter wonderland." London is also pretty mellow during the winter. If your going to go, I would REALLY suggest trying to go during the summer, esp if your headed up to Sweden. Hit me up over email and we can talk more off forum whike your planning this whole thing. chris DOT sedition AT gmailAll you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    • CommentAuthormauspad

go see some cliffs in provence! beautiful, expansive, chalk-white. nice is pretty cool. i had some good mussels there. don't let the tourist hunters outside of montmartre tie things on your body (been there). don't get carried out by a riptide in the mediterranean (done that). i want postcards.
    italia is the best! cinque terre!YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    •  
      CommentAuthormelange

If you're going to be traveling for that long, you might look into joining CouchSurfing. It's a traveler's social network. Basically, the idea is that a person hosts you at their place free of charge or shows you around their home town. The network itself is based on reputation, so you gain credibility as a host or traveler the more you stay with or host people. It's based a lot on trust, but there's a crazy statistic that around 98% of reviews are positive, which means almost nobody has a terrible experience.

If you want more info, go to the site and make a profile and look around. There is also a forum and a Boston group, which meets at the Cambridge Brewing Company in Kendall Square on Wednesdays at 9pm every week. I've been once, they're good people. Look for Mike Atlas, he is the Boston ambassador.

ED-

-IN-

-BURGH

EDINBURGH!I summoned it with my moustache...
    Barcelona!

just be sure to venture out of Old Town and see the rest of the city - watch out for pick-pockets on La Rambla and for the tranny-prostitutes at Placa Glories!Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
    • CommentAuthorHowardR

ean_frick:Tagged along with family to Nice (pronounced more like niece) and it was beautiful but expensive. Beach was topless, I was in seventh grade at the time so I loved it. I'd recommend stopping there if you're nearby, even if you're not all about tits.

+ 1, I spent 3 weeks there with a host family while going to school. Good bars at night, and yes topless beaches during the day. The water is clear and warm as bathwater in August.

Also even though this guy is a total dork on his TV series on PBS, Rick Steves writes a couple great books about understanding the art and history of Europe for the traveler. It will help when you see all these sites to know the story behind them.
    • CommentAuthormfdn

Like mentioned above, if you want to go on the cheap, checking out places other than Europe is where its at. Not counting airfare, I spent 6 weeks in SE Asia earlier this year for less than a grand. It was F'n awesome. Also India... everyone speaks english and its got tons of super interesting things to do. If your interested in either of these places, def whisper me and I can send you pic's, stories, etc.

But if your stuck on Europe... if your in the Belgium area definitely keep an eye out for a cycling event there. Its huge. Antwerp is really fun and filled with cool neighbourhoods and I have a lot of ex-co-workers that live here so if you know the dates you'd be there I could probably find out if there's anything special going on then.

Paris is my favorite city ever. In the summer that city just knows how to do it right. They essentially close down their version of Storrow Drive, fill it with sand, and make it into a beach with bike and roller blade rentals and music everywhere. Awesome. Around Paris with Kids is definitely geared towards people traveling with little kids, but there are more bad ass things to do in that book than most real guide books. Check out the Catacombs, Ice skating on the 2nd floor of the Eiffel Tower, Free admission to college age people (25 and under) to the Lover on friday afternoon / nights, the friday night roller skating event... there's tons of stuff in Paris... It rules!

I've been to Amsterdam a few times and while that's not really my sort of city, I feel like its the type of place that you can have a blast in if your with a bunch of friends, but kind of sketchy and not that great when traveling alone (i got bed bugs =\). Check out the North bank via bike though. Found a bar that you could only get to on bike or sail boat that was super rad. Also its a bit out side the city, but the Kroller Muller Museum area is pretty rad. My plans there were pretty last minute and so I didn't get into the museum itself, =(, but the place used to be on the ocean before there was that big land reclamation project that went on, and so there are huge sand dunes in the middle of the forest that are really unique. There's also these bikes at every entrance that you use for free to get around the park, and the only way to get to the actual museum in the middle of this place is to ride (unless your handicaped and then you can drive).
    edinburgh is pretty ridiculous
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks

Aaron Gigantic:Barcelona!
    +1dongpincher 1000
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

chr|s sedition:

...join the army and go to Iraq. That will change your life.

•  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks

kilgore_trout:edinburgh is pretty ridiculous
    I spent a decent amount of time there, always thought that town was kinda lame.
    Morgie:
    chr|s sedition:

...join the army and go to Iraq. That will change your life.

Hah, borrowing smileys from ny? hey, he's not wrong. it''ll give ya some perspective.dongpincher 1000
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

I don't think for a second that he's wrong.. just wondering if he realized.

and yes, I borrowed a vanillacon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLHtrustme
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2008

thanks for all the input! whispered...no one gets a shovel at this shit party!
    oh and also, europe doesnt want your ass.
    boston does!YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    Posenger Pigeon:
    kilgore_trout:edinburgh is pretty ridiculous
    I spent a decent amount of time there, always thought that town was kinda lame.

BLASPHEMY! HOW DARE YE?
    I summoned it with my moustache...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBuckley!
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2008

Ireland. The whole country was awesome. Belfast was a ghost town, Dublin was expensive, but the villages all over were totally awesome. Also, the Burren was pretty kickass.The kid's gotta learn that the game never lets up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2008 edited

. reading comprehension fail.dongpincher 1000
    ^

Coo coo coo, cloo cloo coo coo coo cloo

And... Gobble! Gobble! Gobble!

Gobble! Gobble! Gobble!
    Gobble! Gobble! Gobble!

Gobble! Gobble! Gobble!

Gobble... !
    • CommentAuthorrigby
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2008

+1 on couch surfing. it's a great way to meet cool locals who will show you the off-the-beaten-path and non-touristy places

no matter where you go...get a EURAIL PASS! train travel is the best. you pass through beautiful landscapes and its so efficient and fast (unless the French go on strike...which leads to some very creative travel solutions, usually involving bribes). depending on what kind of pass you get, you can throw in a day trip or an extra city whenever the whim hits you, just check the train schedules and you're set. STA travel is good about hooking you up with the best deal. if you're there for two months, you might want to go with the Unlimited one.

city wise: Berlin is amazing, and shockingly, pretty cheap too. the best bike cities by far are Berlin and Amsterdam. HUGE bike culture, although they're all about the bulky cruisers...still fun though. it's not hard to rent a bike for a few days and travel the city that way. a lot of places also give bike tours.

Eastern europe is where to go for the weirdest and cheapest trips. prague is starting to become quite popular, but right outside of the city there is this badass church made entirely of human bones, if you're into morbidity.

hope this helps! if you want any more info, whisper me

have fun! i don't even know you and i'm entirely jealous
    • CommentAuthorrigby
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2008

oh also: get a travel guide, it seriously helps when you're lost in a city or want to find a quick meal/housing/activity etc.. I used Let's Go! Europe, I've heard great things about Rick Steve's Europe Through The Back Door, mixed reviews about Lonely Planet.