Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorredfoot
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2008

So this winter I'm going to build a polo bike for the spring, I found lots of information about making mallets, but not building a bike. I have a Miyata 110 touring frame, plan to build it up as a single speed with a rear brake. Any advice is appreciated. I was going to use flop and chop bullhorns, toe clips, mainly stuff I have lying around. Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpapi

sweet!

but we play in the winter too. so feel free to come out one of these weekends..even if you're bike isn't ready we'll lend you one to practice on..

as for the bike:

low gearing. I run 35x20. other people run even lower.
    i just switched to bmx pedals and they are awesome. you don't need clips if you're running freewheel (which i recommend as a recent convert)

also flatbar or risers i think work best. but use what you have. uhmmm that's about it.

but yeah. most importantly just come out and play. now in the winter we get just a few diehards coming out so it's a great chance to get tons of games in and practice.I'm going to eat your brain and gain your knowledge
    • CommentAuthorneil_young

Starting in the winter is the best choice
    i started late last winter
    you get to play more games and get comfortable with how its done
    come play!
    this sat at noon hopefully is the next time we play
    •  
      CommentAuthorhowl
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2008

Yup- come out and play. We always have mallets, and you should be able to borrow a bike, as long as you're right handed.

Bikewise: Flat pedals are the way to go. Rear brake running to your off hand. If you have an old 5-speed rear wheel, that's ideal, especially if your dropouts will allow you to run multiple gears.
    I think flat bars work better, but it's a matter of taste. Plug the ends of your bars, no matter what you're running.Troglodytarum is latin for troll
    •  
      CommentAuthormur

howl:Plug the ends of your bars, no matter what you're running.

this is good advice in general. i see way too many people riding around on the streets with unplugged bar ends, and it's just a matter of time until someone in the area gets badly impaled (either the rider or another victim in an accident) because of it.~(..,)~ (oYo) make whoopee not war (oYo) ~(..,)~
    • CommentAuthorricknegan

http://www.hardcourtbikepolo.com/?page_id=549

Going to this link will show you bikes that people play on as of right now.

Be smart you dont want to hurt someone or yourself.

1 2 3 polo
    • CommentAuthorredfoot
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2008

Thanks for the advice. Incidentally, why do you recommend low gearing? I was thinking about 46x16. Thanks.
    • CommentAuthorBRlAN Q G

Not that I have any experience, but from what I've heard, the low gearing allows for quicker acceleration. You don't need to be moving that fast; quick, short bursts are what you need.
    •  
      CommentAuthorhowl

Yup. You're never going more than about 100ft in any direction, so top speeds are pretty low, and quick acceleration is important. 46X16 is way too high.
    If you keep the back derailleur, it can make the bike a bit more functional.
    You can play polo at 36X26, and ride the bike around at 36X12. Only problem is the occasional dropped chain.Troglodytarum is latin for troll
    •  
      CommentAuthorFlashroute

where do you guys play... i may be interested in stopping by in the new year and trying my hand at polo... so far, it sounds really funSeeds Sewn: Re-Cycling Hatter of Boston... Only at OPEN Bicycle
    •  
      CommentAuthorhowl
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2008 edited

papi:
    Where?

HERE!!
    Troglodytarum is latin for troll
    • CommentAuthorJimi
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2015

I have a frame I'm just going to put together as a polo/fun bike. I have a 32t chain ring, what's a good cog size to pair with it? It's what is already on the bike and I'm not looking to spend much right now.Hi, my name is Jimi and I'm a bike addict
    •  
      CommentAuthorbuddymike
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2015

I run a 22t freewheel, but 20t is pretty common.
    •  
      CommentAuthortweedledum
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2015

Concerning gear ratios, this is pretty fun - includes a toggle for ambidextrous skidding, too.

http://www.surplace.fr/ffgc/