Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthortainted
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2008 edited

The only tires i've used have been the Serfas Seca RS now i'm in the market for a new pair...can anyone recommend anything better? Chris Evil & the Taints
    i have a serfas up front and a schwalbe on my rear wheel. it works out pretty well.
    Really if you just rocking around town on them any hardcase tire would do.

Gatorskin, armadillo, or hard case will likely run ~ $30ish dollars I assume.

I'm riding conti 4000's right now and really like em but they're a little more money.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorgregwhits
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2008

what eric said . . . gatorskin or admadillo. but they cost more than $30 (more like 40-50). if you don't skid through them they will definitely last through a year of commuting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpapi

simple living sells gatorskins for ~$20. with a tube.

jussayin.

:)I'm going to eat your brain and gain your knowledge
    •  
      CommentAuthorDan Roch

26$^ last time i was thereEverybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaning they are unemployed - Prince Philip during the recession in 1981
    •  
      CommentAuthorpapi

^word. i usually just get the $7 kenda contenders, anyways.I'm going to eat your brain and gain your knowledge
    •  
      CommentAuthorDan Roch

I think the price went up for them a few months ago. They were 32 in the city now they are more around 38 40. Awesome tires though i recommend themEverybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaning they are unemployed - Prince Philip during the recession in 1981
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks

Gatorskins blow. (out the sidewalls, generally)dongpincher 1000
    Oh, worth mentioning that if you intend to skid the shit out of them, just get the cheap tires. If not then the Bontrager Hard Cases, Specialized Armadillos, or Conti Gatorskins should be fine.

papi:simple living sells gatorskins for ~$20. with a tube.

jussayin.

:)

Does that guy make any profit? I'm really curious how he stays in business.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBuckley!

DannyWrecks:Gatorskins blow. (out the sidewalls, generally)

I've been on those for like two years now, and I'm still waiting to see that happen.The kid's gotta learn that the game never lets up.
    i've been riding around my fixed gear on cross tires without a huge problem.. since it's already heavy as fuck it doesn't really matter.
    when i was riding slicks on the street i really liked everwears, though they did have the potential to round themselves off before you skid through the rubber.

now. who has recommendations for road and track racing tires? tubulars no doubt.
    •  
      CommentAuthorg0balistik

hey gary, how about some zipp tangentes?
    hey ian, how about i pay you $20 for each tire?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks

Buckley.:
    DannyWrecks:Gatorskins blow. (out the sidewalls, generally)

I've been on those for like two years now, and I'm still waiting to see that happen.

Yeah, but our tires go through different kinds of abuse :-) had it happen to me 3-4 times this summer.dongpincher 1000
    •  
      CommentAuthorg0balistik

how about I start riding them to boldsprints and skid 'em like the cool kids? you looking forward to the next track season? i am but im sure you'll be in much better shape with al this cross nonsense.
    kilgore_trout:i've been riding around my fixed gear on cross tires without a huge problem.. since it's already heavy as fuck it doesn't really matter.
    when i was riding slicks on the street i really liked everwears, though they did have the potential to round themselves off before you skid through the rubber.

now. who has recommendations for road and track racing tires? tubulars no doubt.

I'm rocking conti comp's on my paramount very niceTake-off everything but your rainboots
    the big debate is conti vs tufo. i've mostly ridden tufo and have been pleased with their performance.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2008

schwalbe. 'nuff said. i can't remember the last time i flatted a schwalbe. i have blizzard on one whip and marathons on another. get the schwalbes.
    doooooood you should get some panaracers
    Solid rubber tires.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    they are cheap as shit but i beat the hell out of a pair last winter/this spring and they held up pretty well. skidding on them is a deal breaker, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks

^ panaracer makes several different models of tire.dongpincher 1000
    kilgore_trout:the big debate is conti vs tufo. i've mostly ridden tufo and have been pleased with their performance.

I've used tufo, but honestly the colours turned me off. The tufo's have removable valve cores however and that is very nice.Take-off everything but your rainboots
    •  
      CommentAuthorhowl

IMO, the best tire combo for the winter is a conti 4-season on the front, and a gatorskin/hardcase/marathon/anythingbutarmadillo on the back.

Lots of skidding: the $8 performance kevlar belted things. I've had a few of those down to the threads all the way around without any flats.Troglodytarum is latin for troll
    DannyWrecks:^ panaracer makes several different models of tire.

i know i was talking about the paselas
    so i just learned that my conti comps do have a removable valve coreTake-off everything but your rainboots
    Alexi Gigantic II:
    kilgore_trout:the big debate is conti vs tufo. i've mostly ridden tufo and have been pleased with their performance.

I've used tufo, but honestly the colours turned me off. The tufo's have removable valve cores however and that is very nice.

the removable valve core is clutch for me.
    What color tufo should I get for my disc?????But the fact of the matter is: Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks

red tufo cross tubie!
    disc'll cut through that mud like butter. through mud.dongpincher 1000
    •  
      CommentAuthorsmelliott

i agree with brunop, Schwalbe 100%. i have a pair of marathon 35s on my steamroller and they are awesome. today was the first day i rode them in the snow and they werent too bad.I’m the paté on the Universal cracker. I’m the grout holding your shower tiles on. I’m out of the saddle, sprinting up that hill and eating glazed donut bracelets off the right arm of Jesus.
    i need a lightweight, puncture-resistant, atleast 120psi-able, 25mm road slick for battenkill-roubaix...any suggestions?

clincher
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2008

are those priorities in order?dongpincher 1000
    no. they're sort of all equally important. i don't know how many other times i'll be using the tires, i just need something for the unpaved sections of BK-R - won't pinch flat or get fucked up on sharp rocks, not an armadillo or something with a ton of rolling resistance
    Is this a WTB thread?

Awesome!

I am looking for 2 Blizzak 225 45 R17 tires. Thank you.

I'm psyched.Jockin' Mike D. to my dismay!
    kilgore_trout:no. they're sort of all equally important. i don't know how many other times i'll be using the tires, i just need something for the unpaved sections of BK-R - won't pinch flat or get fucked up on sharp rocks, not an armadillo or something with a ton of rolling resistance

grand boise 26's measure out to 25 and are fucking amazingly smooth ride, very close to riding on tub's

oh and my conti comps do have removable valve cores, I filled them with tufo tire sealant this weekend.Take-off everything but your rainboots
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2008

oh, I forgot to suggest rubino pro's, but they sound like what you're looking for and are relatively cheap.
    disclaimer: I haven't used emdongpincher 1000
    I'm <3ing my Nokian Hakkapelita 700x35 this week. Carbide studs, engage!Think you're escaping and run into yourself. Longest way round is the shortest way home.
    •  
      CommentAuthortainted
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2009

how about some decent winter tires? this is my first winter riding in snow an ice. who makes a good winter tire? what sizes? Chris Evil & the Taints
    • CommentAuthorgc

kilgore_trout:i need a lightweight, puncture-resistant, atleast 120psi-able, 25mm road slick for battenkill-roubaix...any suggestions?

clincher

sounds like just about any 25c tire would fit the bill
    these would be nice: http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=Y1094gone
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks

tainted:how about some decent winter tires? this is my first winter riding in snow an ice. who makes a good winter tire? what sizes?

On the one hand
    it's Boston
    not the Iditabike
    Ride whatcha got, maybe drop 5-10psi on cruddy days
    on the other hand
    if you're determined to grab some
    most "track" frames'll probably fit some 30c knobbies
    or
    grab some vittoria rando cross tires
    not too fat, mild tread pattern for the rough stuff, good flat protectiondongpincher 1000
    •  
      CommentAuthortainted

DannyWrecks:Ride whatcha got, maybe drop 5-10psi on cruddy days

i'll try that. i just don't wanna wipe out on the shitty half-assed plowed side roads. Chris Evil & the Taints
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

I rode around all yesterday on my 25c gatorskins and they stuck the ground like champs...so you should be ok.this wont hurt a bit...
    BUMP

i'm lookin' into some new tires for the trek 660 that i recently featured on new bike day. 125 psi 20c's aren't exactly boston road material... anybody got experience fitting bigger tires onto one of em? it's a 1988 with the matrix iso-c rims on it. it looks like clearance under the brakes is gonna be the hardest place, so i'm worried more about height than width. i know i could fit some krylion carbon 23c's onto it and it still has reasonable clearance but i'd love to try and squeeze some 25c gatorskins or something comparable on there. shot in the dark, but anybody been down this road and live to tell about it?
    i'm gonna guess you could go all the way up to 28s, maybe even 30s (depending on the company).You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2010

you can fit up to 28.. I recommend a 25, maybe the serfas survivor
    also, give lower psi a shot. i run 25s @ 100psi, and it's pretty nice.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    • CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2010

28c conti gatorskins are dope.gone
    Morgie:you can fit up to 28.. I recommend a 25, maybe the serfas survivor

thanks for the insight... i think i'ma roll with 25's. i'll check the survivors out, i was also thinkin' about t-servs. i'm gonna grab some 28c gatorskins for my dreamroller though. gotta love SLC phil...
    • CommentAuthorJaredms
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2010

Continental Grand Prix 4000s, a little more expensive but damn they're nice.