Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

where is some good hiking that is accessible via T or commuter rail?Take-off everything but your rainboots
    I think I started a thread like this this past summer. Either way I don't think it was very conclusive. But this season if enough people are into backpacking maybe we can rent an automobile or something. Or ghetto rig some touring gear and take overnighters.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2009

i would love to do some overnighters. maybe i won't be selling my backpack now.

everyone must acquire a pipe though. campfires are no fun without pipe smoking, and gin drinking. bourbon is acceptable too.
    Overnighters on our bykezzzzz.
    Camp fires and bar spinnnnzzzzzzzz
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby

^^brakeless touring bikes!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorgregwhits

you can hike in the blue hills, fells, etc, but it's not like epic traverses or anything. the white trail at the fells is super technical when on a mountain bike so it is probably a good hiking trail too. can't really camp there though. wompatuck has camping but not year round.
    • CommentAuthorPLyTheMan

If you just want to camp there's Harold Parker up here in Andover/North Andover line (between 114 and 125). If you load up a pack it wouldn't be a far bike ride from a train station (<10 mi I'd bet) and there's a decent amount of land there. I've never camped there, and it wouldn't be anything super epic, but it is somewhere to camp that's in the woods. Someone told me you can't bring booze in there, but if everyone is of legal age it sounds like bullshit to me. Also, there's a state cops barrack right on 125 there, so they might patrol through. More info here. I know they close the gates at sunset so cars can't get in and out, but I'm sure on mnt bikes with some headlights we could have some beers then tear up the trails in the middle of the night.

Otherwise, I'm sure there's some kind of greyhound that could run you up to somwhere in the Whites.
    gregtheripper: wompatuck has camping but not year round.

Wompatcuk is pretty amazing (for MA), but can't really get there by MBTA.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    • CommentAuthor.
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2009

pete! gigantic:i would love to do some overnighters.

im down for this

any other girls interested, so im not left with all boys?

when it gets warm
    lets take a bfg camping trip.
    well apparently we can take a bus to the white mountains/franconia ridgeTake-off everything but your rainboots
    ^I'd do that. Then ride the hell out of the Kanc. Aw yeah!Word nerd
    • CommentAuthor.
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2009

i want it to be warm again (and not 0F) so we can go hiking

and no girls have mentioned wanting to go :(
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2009

i went snowshoein' with my babe a coupla days ago in the whites:
    nancy pond trail

i go all the time. i heart hikin' and stuff.
    • CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2013

someone come snowshoeing with me

also suggest spots to get to via mbtagone
    •  
      CommentAuthorStinky Cheez
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2013 edited

Uh... Hammond Pond Reservation in Chestnut Hill maybe (accessible via Chestnut Hill stop on the Green-D... walk to Hammond St, head toward Rte 9... i.e. left on Hammond, then right into the Chestnut Hill Shopping Center lot... stay to the right of the Shaws and continue all the way down toward Hammond Pond Parkway, reservation is down to the right when you're 99.9% of the way down to Hammond Pond Pkwy).

Or Franklin Park, could hit "the Wilderness" section, take Orange line to Green St, head toward Washington and continue on Glen Rd (straight) to park entrance.
    Doesn't the orange line go to the Fells? That place is decent.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    I didn't think it got that close, but I could be wrong? It's do big maybe I'm just not thinking of part near the O-line.
    My bad, Oak Grove appears to be a ~2.5 miles from the Fells... not all that close, not all that far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorwest.
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2013

Nah, Oak Grove is less than 2 miles from the Fells.

Also, the Blue Hills reservation is pretty close and accessible via the Red Line.unstuck in time
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2013

for like urban purty good nature with access to bars? the arnold arboretum. tame but ya see a lotta stuff.
    the fells is so good though. i live in da 'ville so i ride my bike there. i love the fells.
    brunop:i live in da 'ville so i ride my bike there. i love the fells.

This.

And for those who have not been, the ice waterfall is totally worth seeing in the winter.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorwest.
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2013

Where the ice waterfall at?

Also, I remember one winter I was there with some peeps and we were on a pond that was completely frozen. We were riding our bikes/playing on it, I'm not sure where it was at though. Idea?unstuck in time
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2013

yeah for real I've been to the fells recently, where is the ice waterfall??
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2013

chr|s sedition:
    brunop:i live in da 'ville so i ride my bike there. i love the fells.

This.

And for those who have not been, the ice waterfall is totally worth seeing in the winter.

is the ice waterfall worth seeing in the summer?

i think there's a little waterfall just upstream from one of the nemba bridges? the one next to the downed tree pictured here. is this the place?