Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthortone
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2009

Has anyone submitted a claim for damage to a bike or personal injury caused by a pothole?  If so, what did you have to do and how did it work out?  I've done a little research about filing claims in MA and it looks like some towns will give you $$ for damages, but you're SOL on state roads.  Tight times right now and there no reason you shouldn't get reimbursed for damage caused by crappy roads.  Cagers do it, so why not us?

Mass. law on potholes

Info on DCR maintained roads and paths

City of Boston claim info/form

Somerville claim form (pdf)

Anyone got the links to other towns procedures/forms - Cambridge, Brookline?We are the small axe.
    If any thread deserves a sticky, it's this one.Word nerd
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

holy shit I should print out a thousand of those Somerville claim form's and just hand them out to people on the street, that place is falling apart. Nice research.this wont hurt a bit...
    This thread = awesome. Thanks for the info.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    • CommentAuthorT_M

IANAL and TINLA and all that, but I'm curious how successful people actually are in recovering on their claims...

I figure it doesn't make much sense (in Boston anyway) to file a claim unless there's a fair amount of damage done and it can be easily shown that the city was actually negligent in not fixing the problem... looking at the roads I can't imagine they're loose with the purse-strings when it comes to these claims (otherwise CBA would suggest they'd go through a lot more trouble fixing them).

I also have to wonder, were there actually a substantial sum at issue, would the government-entity in question be able to make something of the cyclist not having a brake?

I don't suppose we have an actual lawyer on the boards who'd be able to shed light (with the usual caveats, of course)?
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

if you're at least filing the claim, you're letting the city you're filing with know that you consider their road a serious problem for cyclists. whether or not you get reimbursed for labor on a messed up wheel or not, at least you're making a point.
    • CommentAuthorT_M

An excellent point!
    • CommentAuthorPugatch

I contacted Somerville City Hall about how shitty Washington Street is from Union Square to Sullivan Square Rotary and their response was when the state added the highway exit from 93 that dumps onto that street at Sullivan Station that the state is no responsible for repaving the road from MSG highway to the rotary. Its s sad the the bike lane on both sides of the road (its worse heading towards Union Square) is more potholes than not.Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world
    have a highway! we no longer foot responsibility for the city. you wanna ride on the road, you fix it. what?! how does that make sense. call back and insist MAGIKARP MAGIKARP
    •  
      CommentAuthortone
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2009

I'm also curious about the success of filing claims, but have the feeling cities would rather pay out claims for smaller amounts. So its possible that a claim for bike repair would have a better chance of being paid out than a more expensive car repair bill. Since it's the law, towns are obligated to pay out and probably have to budget for these claims.

It's so arbitrary anyways. What do you need for a claim? A picture of a pothole, a picture of a damaged wheel, a receipt and/or estimate for new parts, and a good story (and five bucks if filing in Boston). With a big pothole and the right pictures how can it be disputed that the damage didn't occur as one said it did? I mean what's stopping someone from taking a picture of a pothole in four different towns and reusing the other stuff to file four claims? Not that I would ever advocate such behavior.We are the small axe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGrimlocke
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2009

I definitely advocate such behavior.
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2009

I also would like to add the mayors 24 hour hotline number
    617-635-4500

call about anything that makes you sad, but potholes specifically.this wont hurt a bit...
    • CommentAuthorkeepitreal
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2009

unsticky this. you shitbirds think you're going to get checks for a taco'd wheel? maybe the mayor himself will come to your house, pay you cash, and shit a rainbow in your hallway.
    keepitreal: maybe the mayor himself will come to your house, pay you cash, and shit a rainbow in your hallway.

MUMBLES CAN SHIT RAINBOWS?! AWESOME!clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    i feel like this is too overwhelming to be useful, but i guess if you're only looking along a specific route it's helpful? also it's car-oriented.

pothole mapDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    why is this even stickied?
    ^Because it's the only useful thing posted on this forum?Word nerd
    and yet no one will use it anyways.
    I think we should actually have a Resources tab, where useful threads like this can live without cluttering up the liveliness of the other discussions. It's important information, and it'd be good for it to live someplace central. But maybe it doesn't need to be stickied on this main tab. Thoughts? Moderators?Word nerd
    • CommentAuthor.
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2009

^ i like that idea.
    ^me too!DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    there's moderators on this forum?
    ^i thought you were getting your own personal moderatorDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorChicagoKarl
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2009 edited

i am my own personal moderator.
    who wants to roflcopter the shit out of this thread w/ me?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2009

karl stop being such a douche
    Morgie:karl stop being such a douche

whether or not this is said in just, it's bluntness amuses me.
    • CommentAuthorslowski
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2009

I hear union square is offering a filling replacement program?If at first you don't succeed... you fail.
    • CommentAuthor_rob-_wat?
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2009

maybe this is backwards thinking, but has anyone else noticed that cities only repave or fix streets that don't need to be fixed?

i think the secret is to file claims against all the streets that don't have potholes in them and then maybe they will fix all the ones that do have potholes in them because they will think those are the ones that don't need to be fixed.

sometimes the worst ideas ever turn out to be good ideas ... right?
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2009

man, i was skeptical, but i just got my check in the mail from the city of boston. $1900! actually it wasn't even a check - they sent straight cash, homey. 'bout to go on a little shopping spree.

thanks for posting such a useful thread, guys.
    fuck my life

they gave you ninteen hundred?1?
    i'm gonna spend the rest of tonight filling out those forms.
    • CommentAuthor.
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2009

keepitreal:$1900! actually it wasn't even a check - they sent straight cash

$1900 in cash... in the mail???
    thats a bit weird.
    ILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL FUCK YOU BITCH IN THE ASS BITCH SO HARD YEAH UMMPh

Chicago Karl:fuck my life

kirstencupcake:

thats a bit weird.

You have to be kidding me. You are both beyond incompetent and should be fired from present employment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorChicagoKarl
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2009 edited

Better yet, I'll quit my job at harvard medical school and spend all my time filling out pothole claim forms!
    • CommentAuthor.
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2009 edited

keepitreal:
    Chicago Karl:fuck my life

kirstencupcake:

thats a bit weird.

You have to be kidding me. You are both beyond incompetent and should be fired from present employment.

I dont think you understand how sarcastic-ness works on the internet. Therefore, you need to fix your wording a bit better. Merci beaucoup.

edit: Also, by what I said I either thought what you said was a "joke" (a tried attempt), or you are a liar.
    he is a liar!
    a witch!

burn him at the stake.

hmmm, steak.
    • CommentAuthor.

Hey Brandon, this is why we need that "Resources" tab, and why this thread should be closed. Resources exist to be used if you care, and ignored if you don't. No discussion needed.

Remember friends, filling out the claim form may not get you compensated, but it'll get you a better chance than sarcastic defeatism on the internet will get you.Word nerd
    streets in the boston/cambridge/somerville area are horrrrrrrrible.
    like I thought other cities were bad before i moved here.
    it seems majority of the streets here are just paved over old cobblestone, so it rips apart easily
    it's not worth spending time filling forms unless you got a hole the size of an elephant you wanna complain about.
    and by then you can just call 311 or some shit.

my $.02
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

no one cares about your god damn $.02..

+1 to what rob said.
    • CommentAuthorcindierock
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2009 edited

i wish they would paint lanes and repave the stretch of Mountfort St (I think?) from across from the the BU bridge down to like Park Drive..... Not only is it full of pot holes, it always some how becomes like a 2 1/2 lane street, when I think it's only supposed to be 1 or 2 ... The cars drive almost on the sidewalk. I was once walking down that street with my roommate and I honestly thought she was going to get killed by a T bus going like 50mph that looked like it was about to jump the curb.
    ^this is in the works, bike lanes between Longwood/Riverway and the BU Bridge/Cambridge side rotary. they're working on the exact route, parts of it are being disputed due to lost parking spaces off Beacon.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorcindierock
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2009

surprisefries:^this is in the works, bike lanes between Longwood/Riverway and the BU Bridge/Cambridge side rotary. they're working on the exact route, parts of it are being disputed due to lost parking spaces off Beacon.

oh it's about time. i was sorta wishing they would repave it when they were repaving comm ave and part of st marys, but when they never did, i was sad.
    • CommentAuthorAijca
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2012

<p>21century, nonetheless but . a bit as if to accumulate these. uggultimatebindboots Offer all through UGG Antique Argyle Knit Boots of London Shop flawlessly blends a traditional put together college behavior and cozy sweater knit for the biggest <a href=http://www.wiredress.com/>bride gowns</a> . , <a href=http://www.wiredress.com/Flower-Girl-Dresses.html>prom dresses 2012</a> . comfiest, unconventional appear.Your molded Avoi lumination and flexible outsole creates remarkable ease and convenience together with each and every stage <a href=http://www.wiredress.com/>Evening Dresses</a> . <a href=http://www.wiredress.com/>ball gown wedding dresses</a> .Otameal Argyle Knit Boot could be the main method Uggs,it s in addition an excellent treasure created for Xmas,footwear revenue in this instance . ,it doesn t consider most appropriate choice to have the ability to obtain boots of our personal stow!? Nicely,let me just begin off by saying that it took me a bit whilst to determine on this watch but I m glad I did. <a href=http://www.wiredress.com/>Quinceanera Dresses</a> This really is regarded as Breitling s 8220 entry level watch. It is among the much less costly models but that really </p>