Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2009 edited

i know the economy sucks ass and all, but there has got to be work somewhere, right? in times of need it is best for us to work together. i know there are a number of us that are in a similar position, and would love to even just have a part time shit job just to get us through the week... and pay for our alcohol consumption.

as for me, i have been unemployed for nearly 3 months, and being the type of person that will work 40+ days straight (one time i reached 94) i am getting a bit antsy about my current situation; astronomical vet bills for my sick cat, having to hire contractors because my landlord is a dick, and losing a commission that would have paid my rent for several months.

where's a job that's not a coffee shop, nor a valet position?

i don't want to have to move back to ohio!
    Ditto.
    • CommentAuthorunit
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2009

I know it sucks to say man but sometimes we have to bite the bullet take thoes shit jobs. For a while I had to be a phone solicitor (you can imagine how great that was). Although there kind of sketchy with the work reliability, staffing companies are always looking to place people because of the commission they get off you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBasso

join the small army of valets. they are always hiring and if you want to work alot they are pretty accomodating. I did it for a while last fall. its shit money at first but once you start scamming cars its not so bad depending on the night.There's always money in The Banana Stand
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby

i was a valet at the ritz, it was actually pretty good money, i just hated who i worked with, and i hate shaving.
    • CommentAuthortristan

You could become a mystery shopper. Go to stores, fill out evaluations, get a free sandwich (or whatever) and get paid for it. Jobslinger

Disclaimer - I work for the company that writes the software that runs most of that industryascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    • CommentAuthorunit

o, also for some grocery money, on craigslist (under ETC) there are research companies looking for people to form focus groups and complete surveys. I myself just got signed up for one and they said upon completion you get $75. Thats some walkin around money
    • CommentAuthormauspad

• CommentAuthorlissaandy

For more walkin around monies:

I subscribe to a mailing list for doing brain/cognitive research experiments. You just get thrown in an MRI tube for about an hour and a half, look at images, and sometimes respond with a little control box. I'd usually walk away with about $75 each time (for the MRI session and the little 15-minute training sessions you'd usually have to do before.), and the images/experiments were always interesting to say the least. You need to be: right-handed, under 200 lbs, have normal or contact-corrected vision (no glasses) and be able to lay still for up to two hours (I frequently would shift around, and fell asleep constantly. They're pretty understanding. It's not that bad.) Whisper me if you want the email address.

That's basically how I fed myself the first two years of college, along with doing sleep studies at Brigham and Women hospital. But I don't recommend doing those.fuck art, let's ride bikes
    • CommentAuthorgc

there be a nearly unlimited bevy of research studies in this town, running the gamut from psychology studies to medical/sleep studies.
    they are perfect if you have odd hours/availability.

with a little leg work you can do tons of them; one leads to another in a rapidly-increasing cascade.

craigslist volunteers section is a fantastic place to start.

however, a part time min wage job will likely pay more on a per week/month basis.gone
    • CommentAuthorlissaandy

^ Sleep studies actually pay very well. I made almost $4k for being in t he hospital for less than a week. They just require some potentially dealbreaking shit.fuck art, let's ride bikes
    • CommentAuthorunit

I heard with thoes sleep study things, some actually require you to remain in bed for long periods...like 48 hours, is that true?
    • CommentAuthorunit

also, how do they determine how much you get payed? ( most of them say earn up to $****)
    • CommentAuthorunit

I heard with thoes sleep study things, some actually require you to remain in bed for long periods...like 48 hours, is that true?
    • CommentAuthorPugatch

i know you don't want to work at a coffee shop but if anyone else does buckley is leaving peet's in harvard sq at the end of the month and I am a few weeks after that so we can both go back to our jobs at bike shops

city slicker cafe on somerville ave was hiring counter help and delivery

the biscuit on the somerville/cambridge line at the intersection of kirkland and beacon (cambridge) or washington/beacon (somerville) is hiring a full time baker

I say turn this into a thread for people to post jobs they see for those who are lookingThink of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world
    i imagine the "up to" amount is for if you complete the study, and that you get less if you drop out.

i get weekly (i think) emails about research studies at BWH and MGH. if anyone wants me to forward them to you, whisper your email address.

vaccine studies are where it's at, for real.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorlissaandy

When I did mine, for about two months before I went in, I was supposed to keep a really strict sleep schedule (go to bed at midnight and wake up at 8am..I cheated the system a little), I had to have my blood drawn every day (I learned how to do it myself so I could avoid going to the hospital all the time [this became a spectator sport in my "kitchen" freshman year], and to the dismay/amusement [I went to art school] of my dorm-mates, had to keep the little vials of my blood in the fridge until I dropped them off like once a week).

But, it didn't interfere with life too much, until I went to the hospital. There, I couldn't communicate with the outside world for five days, was forced to stay awake for 48 hours straight (I didn't have to be in bed though, just awake.), and had little privacy. But I could bring pretty much anything I wanted in with me...so I brought my guitar and a bunch of art shit and had some fun.

So the way they broke it down for payment was like, $X for every day i was in the hospital (I think it was a couple hundred, I don't really remember. This was like, almost 5 years ago now? Shit. Time flies.), $X for every office visit I had prior to my hospital stay (there were like, 3 or 4), and $X for every week I kept up the routine before and after the hospital visit (going to bed on time, drawing blood, taking my temperature, shit like that). But I could bail whenever I wanted to, and I bailed a little early, so it was pro-rated based on how much I completed.

But yeah, getting a $4k check on top of my financial aid refund freshman year was pretty rad.fuck art, let's ride bikes
    • CommentAuthorPugatch

saw this on craigslist

Lot attendant needed for used car lot Reasonability’s are Cleaning cars clean yard and office do short errands must have good driving record part time at first

Please call Mr. Kay at 617-293-6295Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world
    • CommentAuthorunit

4k, that is amazing...however i dont think i could deal with the needles and the isolation...not to mention being able to get the time off
    i need a job that can help pay my rent while i focus on my job search in nyc.
    i need a job for the next few months since i'm focusing my job search on nyc right now.
    that was weird.
    i think my office might be hiring for a 3 month position that would begin like around march 30. it's not a bad job, a kind of help desk-ish position at harvard extension. its full-time until the end of june with full benefits and all that stuff. BA preferred but not required. if itdoes end up happening (they might try to fill it internally) and they post the position i'll link it on here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDan Roch
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2009 edited

I am also in need of a job.. Something in Graphic design (or animation) is preferred but ill take almost anything (severance is almost over). desk jobs, bike related, anything really (although I would like to stay away from restaurants). My email is dst.germain48@gmail.com and my website is www.danstgermain.comEverybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaning they are unemployed - Prince Philip during the recession in 1981
    • CommentAuthorgemathy
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2009

if I needed work, I'd look for bartending or grocery store jobs.

there's also runmyerrand.com.
    •  
      CommentAuthoreggman
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2009

Pugatch:i know you don't want to work at a coffee shop but if anyone else does buckley is leaving peet's in harvard sq at the end of the month and I am a few weeks after that so we can both go back to our jobs at bike shops

I would totally be down to work at Peet's. Any ideas on how I could have a better chance of replacing you or Buckley? I feel like if I just turned in an application they'd ignore it like every other place does.

I have been unemployed for almost 7 months now. Bottom line? DON'T EVER GO TO COLLEGE.Ella: Not that I would EVER even THINK of taking the T (mainly because my penis is too large to fit in it)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMAC
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2009

Blahhhhh I just got one of those emails for the MRI studies they do at MIT, and I read through all the requirements that you need to be.... and I just noticed it says you can't be Colorblind!!! Fuck!
    MAC:Blahhhhh I just got one of those emails for the MRI studies they do at MIT, and I read through all the requirements that you need to be.... and I just noticed it says you can't be Colorblind!!! Fuck!

....cant be left handed either... fascists...I summoned it with my moustache...
    I don't feel there are no jobs out there, even though I don't like the one I got. My issue is I work with a douchey older person who sucks in general.

Otherwise, I'd find a rainbow over dog crap if I were three inches tall.Jockin' Mike D. to my dismay!
    •  
      CommentAuthorkjelgaard
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2009

being committed to a mental hospital is a great way to pick up a few hundred dollars in research study money while your insurance is spending thousands of dollars a day to pay for your stayhttp://www.fanfiction.net/s/800170/1/EVANGELION_NEXUS
    I feel fortunate to have you all to gripe with on this matter. I love you.Jockin' Mike D. to my dismay!
    massive layoffs here at my work, luckily i dodged 'em. . .. so farits like watching a monkey swallow a hand grenade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfmradio516
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2009

i know you said no coffee shops but in case you were desperate. darwins in harvard sq is hiring. its a coffee shop on one side and a deli on the other.MUFFDVR
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

anyone know of some temporary work for a guy with one arm?...
    •  
      CommentAuthorfmradio516

fill in for def leopard.MUFFDVR
    ^winDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

as awesome as that would be I'm wicked bad at keeping a beat...
    •  
      CommentAuthorLexseif

Morgan they can't kick you out of starbucks even if its temporary. I was working two weeks after shoulder surgery in a sling. Basically they have to give you a position or keep paying for short term disability... (um check that shit out by the way! It's in one of those books they make us read about benefits!)illiterate ramblings for cheap understanding
    i'm with alex; look into that shit.
    i'm pretty sure she's right.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

i haven't been fired. they are treating me aight i just can't work as much as i use to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrobotosan

I need a job anything will do
    i've worked at the same place since i was 15 or 16. my resume is pretty empty.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    • CommentAuthormauspad
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2009

we're going to be looking for subjects to pilot studies on pretty soon. right-handed, no psychiatric hx or meds (includes concussions and antidepressants). 25 bux an hour, 3 sessions or so, 2-3 hoursish each time. we don't inject you with stuff. i'll post info when we start advertising
    can i tell them i hurt my right hand and have to write lefty?You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrobotosan

mauspad:we're going to be looking for subjects to pilot studies on pretty soon. right-handed, no psychiatric hx or meds (includes concussions and antidepressants). 25 bux an hour, 3 sessions or so, 2-3 hoursish each time. we don't inject you with stuff. i'll post info when we start advertising

when is this going to take place.
    i just left city express so i'm sure there's a spot (or 2 or 3) open...go nuts!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

mauspad:we're going to be looking for subjects to pilot studies on pretty soon. right-handed, no psychiatric hx or meds (includes concussions and antidepressants). 25 bux an hour, 3 sessions or so, 2-3 hoursish each time. we don't inject you with stuff. i'll post info when we start advertising

what if your right hand.. but you broke your right arm and now you are forced to use your left arm?
    • CommentAuthormauspad

you may also need to have two functioning limbs (there's some button-pressing involved) but i'll check

this is in or around april
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2009 edited

i'm currently pushing a bunch of lil buttons on this silly contraption in front of me. i can still push buttons with both hands