Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Stormy Arthur:
    bikehost77:I'm going to Dudley Bike Swap to make money, anyone want to make money? Split the cheap cost of booth space with me, sell your crap and profit.. It's a job!!
    I can't find real jobs, so I make my own up.

when and where is this?

here's the info, though i've heard it has declined in recent years from what it was.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikehost77
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2011

Stormy Arthur:
    bikehost77:I'm going to Dudley Bike Swap to make money, anyone want to make money? Split the cheap cost of booth space with me, sell your crap and profit.. It's a job!!
    I can't find real jobs, so I make my own up.

when and where is this?

This Sunday 7am-2pm 10 W. main Street Dudley, Ma.. About 1 1/2 hour drive from Boston. I went in the in the summer and made a good amount of money selling off used stuff and some new stuff I had laying around.
    http://www.dudleydorightfleamarket.com/I ride bicycles better than you do!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikehost77

I want to start a swap in the spring in my town right down the street from my house at the old USS Salem in Quincy.. The shipyard. My friend had his old car club FSA show there, maybe a bike swap could be done. If anyone would be interested. Part of the money for table spaces would go to vets and the war / shipbuilding museum there. Boston area should have more swaps, since we do have so many people that ride bikes in the metro area. I'm going to speak with board sometime soon and ask them about the idea.I ride bicycles better than you do!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikehost77
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2011 edited

stop,I ride bicycles better than you do!
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

Soooo you joined these boards to make money?"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikehost77

noI ride bicycles better than you do!
    • CommentAuthorroburrito
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2011 edited

^^^ Sounds like a very shitty arrangement. Essentially you are charging people to use your dealer account? If they need their own vehicle, need their own tools, need their own overhead, have to do their own marketing, wtf are they getting out of it? And I'm assuming you aren't going to be covering any liability for the work. Overhead, equipment, marketing, and security are all reasons to be employed by someone instead of starting your own business. Even if you called this a franchise arrangement it would suck. Typically you enter a franchise because a company has brand recognition, they do marketing for you, and the royalties are considerably less (under 10%). I feel bad for any sucker who falls for this. And I wouldn't be surprised if this kind of arrangement was in violation of your dealer agreement.A few spokes shy of a wheel.
    • CommentAuthorsmoothness

i'm pretty sure that bikehost77 is A: lying and B: assuming we're a bunch of fucking idiots. i also second that you're probably violating your dealer agreement. next you're going to ask one of us to design you a "sweet logo" for a hook up on your "dealer prices," am i right?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikehost77
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2011

no, smoothness: i have a graphic artist friend, plus all adobe programs are easy to get.. don't need you, sorry..
    I just thought someone who likes bikes would like to make profits off of bikes, Yes I can charge people to use a dealer account.. If they don't like it, they can simply go and open their own accounts, and no it's not violation of dealer agreement as someone is partner of the company.. Being that's it's FLAT RATE, you have to know what you're doing to make any money really.. Have you ever work in a bicycle shop before as a mechanic?
    I'm making it easy for someone who wants to have a part time/on call low key job .. not hourly...
    even some shops charge the hourly employees for employee purchases 10%, plus shipping. I know Urban Adventures does. Other shops like International, you must have all your own tools. Some other shops give out deals to certain customers and friends.. After you buy products from the distr. it's belongs to you, you can sell it for whatever price you want to.
    Guess you don't know much about other trades like in construction or auto repair do you.. it's similar
    Independent contractor... it's not for everyone...

Again, no I didn't join this thread to make money, I joined because I know people who are on here and people who know some of my friends. Is there something wrong with meeting other people who are into cycling?
    I mean it is about bicycles right? Or opps, did I end up on the wrong forum and no one rides or owns a bike here...?I ride bicycles better than you do!
    Nothing's about riding bicycles anymore, it's about drinking and talking about bicycles.

ETA: Except 'cross people, I guess they are still riding bikes. But they don't count because they are not mentally stable.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    "After you buy products from the distr. it's belongs to you, you can sell it for whatever price you want to."
    you need to check your dealer agreements. Legally you can sell at whatever price you want, but by not keeping certain items within a pricing structure you are violating QBP/J&B/DownEast/ect. agreements and can loose your account, or the shop you are working ats. They can't prosecute you for selling below pricing structure but they can drop you like a hot-potato. Also I doubt you have you're own accounts because I doubt you are carrying liability insurance.Take-off everything but your rainboots
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikehost77

I have several accounts, my own actually. and liability insurance is in the works right now, . I tried to get a loan, but seems no one likes to fund a start up.. .. one little thing at a time, I don't have investors or rich family to back me on it.. That's why it's more of a hobby business than full time right now. Being winter, it's basically dead. I only did $95 in repair lesson at someones house this week.
    I'm not selling to general public below wholesale, so don't think I'm breaking any agreements with anyone.
    Can't get mad at someone for trying to build a business can you??
    This is my attempt, I think I have a better chance at this than going to college and getting upset that I can't find a job and have to pay off retard amounts of student loans..I ride bicycles better than you do!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

wow, i've heard some stupid shit but you take the cake buddy..
    • CommentAuthorsmoothness
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2011 edited

Seriously? Good luck with the "I think I have a better chance" argument - running a business is hard work, and you're putting yourself at a great disadvantage to your competition. Your choice of not going to college is fine, except for the fact that you think it's just all about accruing debt and being jobless for life. Higher education opens doors, physically and metaphorically. Not to mention the possibility of giving you a better scope of the legal issues you might run into if something goes wrong, which is inevitable.

Additionally, you can definitely lose your account for selling things "below cost" or outside of the MSRP range. I've seen the fallout firsthand. This falls under the whole "legal issues" category. Lack of liability insurance hurts you as a "hobby business" or "independent contractor;" what happens when you forget to tighten that derailleur cable or brake cable, and the person eats pavement? They're going to go after you, and won't care if your business isn't really a business, and it's just a hobby. Also: people have no problem funding start ups; they just have a hard time giving loans to people who don't have credit, a business plan, or some sort of developed goal in mind.

Finally: just because you can can get Adobe software easily, doesn't mean you or "your friend" can create something quality, or even know what the fuck they're doing. Just like they say in photography: your camera doesn't make the shot.

TL;DR: You've got great gumption and gung ho, but little humility.
    • CommentAuthorroburrito

I have in fact worked as an independent contractor in a number of different fields. While I at times had to bring my own tools I never 1) needed my own overhead 2) needed to find work to do for my contracting company (that's why they contracted me, because they had work for me to do). You seem to be mixing the concept of an independent contractor and a franchise agreement (which I also have experience in). I currently am an attorney who works for startup companies so I know a fair amount about what it takes for a startup company to be successful - legally and financially. I would say you aren't off to a good start. Try listening to people's suggestions instead of pretending you've got it all figured out.A few spokes shy of a wheel.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikehost77

From what I gathered about what I need IS MONEY, which I have none. Maybe some other people to help work with that want to start a business with me. I know I don't know everything or have all the right answers, but want to build something.
    I got some good ideas..I ride bicycles better than you do!
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

Like opening a bike shop?"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthorBuckley!

If I've learned one thing, it's that IF YOU NEED MONEY, GO GET A JOB. No one is going to want to work for a guy that just said ON THE INTERNET, BELOW HIS JOB POSTING, that he HAS NO MONEY.

Fuck off, buddy.The kid's gotta learn that the game never lets up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBuckley!

bikehost77:I only did $95 in repair lesson at someones house this week.

I got a bonus at work for picking up extra time, and also won some money at Mohegan. BIG FUCKING DEAL.The kid's gotta learn that the game never lets up.
    "I have several accounts, my own actually. and liability insurance is in the works right now"

Calling bullshit, as someone who has worked as a buyer in shops you do not have an account if you do not have liability insurance and a tax ID number.Take-off everything but your rainboots
    a question that may help/hurt your case (depending on your answer, of course) is:
    what (if anything) are you bringing to the table besides the qbp/j&b/downeast other account to justify 60% of your partnering mechanics' labor charges? cost+10% is industry standard for employee purchases. are you fronting the money for parts orders for repairs done? as a consumer i'd have a hard time paying up front for parts, and as a mechanic making $18 an hour i'd have a hard time paying up front for parts if it were anything substantial.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikehost77

clockwork ted: Customer pays 1/2 up front for parts needed to be ordered. Then half the labor, return a day or later with replacement parts and finish the job. Collect the money, and that's it.. I have insurance, I did the Quincy Farmers Market all summer, got customers from there.
    I stock cables, housing, tubes, lubes, cleaning , few other little things.
    You can't stock everything at a small level, you'll be seating on things.. Seating on money...
    Yes I have tax ID and dealers accounts. Not telling you who I work with, because, you don't need to know. Why, you'll get all mad and cry? Then you'll go snitching around trying to tell them not to sell to me. RIGHT? Cause you're mad you don't have your own accounts..
    I don't care if you call it bullshit or not.
    I do actually have a real hourly paying job too.. I can go and fix bikes and charge people a fee for doing so, I've had shops ask me to work for them, because they need someone who knows what they're doing and got paid flat rate. This is a part time gig I've created for myself and actually made money.. All I was doing by posting, is letting someone join, anyways the offer is gone.. Nevermind..

So haters can hate, what have you done?I ride bicycles better than you do!
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile mick

bikehost77:Cause you're mad you don't have your own accounts..
    hasomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikehost77

Stormy Arthur:"I have several accounts, my own actually. and liability insurance is in the works right now"

Calling bullshit, as someone who has worked as a buyer in shops you do not have an account if you do not have liability insurance and a tax ID number.

was it Wheelworks?I ride bicycles better than you do!
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

bikehost77:All I was doing by posting, is letting someone join, anyways the offer is gone.. Nevermind..

I wasn't going to add to this, but you got me with this line.
    Charging someone a 60/40 split to work with you isn't exactly "letting someone join." Come on, dude, you're trying to get other people to hustle for you and make you some dough too. There's nothing wrong with that, but don't act like it's some sort of gift you're going to rescind now that you've gotten criticized and grilled on the internet. Your "screw you guys, I'm going to take my ball and go home" attitude isn't helping your case either.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    • CommentAuthorgc

epic confirm/deny that ibc requires you to have your own tools?gone
    • CommentAuthorgc

maybe bikehost77 will let you into the selling tubes on craigslist racket for a small fee: http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/bik/2673326795.htmlgone
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile mick

^^im going to say no, but i'd like to hear stratton's first hand confirmation.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    Most shops will provide you with a basic set of tools. Most good mechanics like to provide their own. We have a few extra tool boxes we provide to the guys who work for us for the summer, anyone who is year round has their own. When I wrenched in NYC I had both shop tools and my own tools. I preferred to use my own, and i locked them up every nightTake-off everything but your rainboots
    •  
      CommentAuthorBuckley!

Uh, FUCK THAT GUY. Get out of Boston if you're gonna be that asshole.The kid's gotta learn that the game never lets up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBuckley!

I mean, there's a shop in Framingham I'm sure you can partner with.The kid's gotta learn that the game never lets up.
    gc:epic confirm/deny that ibc requires you to have your own tools?

i had to have MOST of my own tools at one of the shops i worked for and the other two provided them. at the bring-your-own shop, there were too many mechanics to supply everyone with tools while remaining a not-exactly-profit driven shop. the owner obviously had the big stuff but i had to have the stuff people use all the time (screwdrivers, allens, cone wrenches, headset wrenches, common BB/cassette/freewheel tools, chain tool, chain whip, pedal wrench, etc.). it paid off because now that i'm not working at a bike shop, i can do all the routine maintenance i need to with my work stand and truing stand.
    bikehost77:
    Stormy Arthur:"I have several accounts, my own actually. and liability insurance is in the works right now"

Calling bullshit, as someone who has worked as a buyer in shops you do not have an account if you do not have liability insurance and a tax ID number.

was it Wheelworks?

Mike,
    Your a nice enough guy but there are enough people on here who know how shit works. Besides my self there are a few other people who read the boards who are/have been buyers. There are also at least 2 people who own shops and a few frame builders. We know what it takes to open accounts. I have not had to open accounts at Wheelworks, but i know what is required. I have however opened accounts when I was at Recycle-A-Bicycle.Take-off everything but your rainboots
    • CommentAuthorgc

hmm, didn't realize the own tools thing was so common, the 3 places i've worked for all have had extensive tool selections and no personal tools have been needed or required.
    i'll withdraw that ibc question, i don't really care anymore.gone
    I feel like almost everyone here knows how to get parts at cost, or not much above.
    Also, I feel like a lot of people will go and buy at full price at local shops because they like their local shops and realize that if they don't buy at full cost, those local shops will be gone.
    I worked at a shop this summer in Amherst, but if i need something at home, I will gladly support Broadway Bikes.YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2011

looks like someone realized that what they were posting might actually cause them to lose accounts..
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2011

Wow, I leave the internets for a few days and this thread gets AMAZING. Nice job, everybody.

Bikehost77, I don't know you, nor do I care that you're basically trying to start a bicyclical Amway. But I do care about your shoddy logic. As usual, salvation comes in book form. Best of luck, buddy!Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    nerdo:Wow, I leave the internets for a few days and this thread gets AMAZING. Nice job, everybody.

seriously, i am also upset about this. AND the guy's from quincy, he's gonna get you all addicted to OC's and stab someone in the hand if you keep going at him.joeyfresh, MPH: Clearly you've never met Shah. Motherfucker could eat 2700lbs on the spot and then carry the other half.
    YES THAT VIDEO IS THE GREATESTYO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikehost77

Morgie:looks like someone realized that what they were posting might actually cause them to lose accounts..

Not worth my time. I just put out a crazy suggestion on self employment and everyone wanted to be a douche bag about it. I just wanted to see what people would say, I got the response, "oh we know everything", and you're wrong. I'm wrong and dumb. . Go buy a flannel, white belt, sunglasses, tight pants, and some color parts for bikes now.I ride bicycles better than you do!
    bikehost77:
    Morgie:looks like someone realized that what they were posting might actually cause them to lose accounts..

Not worth my time. I just put out a crazy suggestion on self employment and everyone wanted to be a douche bag about it. I just wanted to see what people would say, I got the response, "oh we know everything", and you're wrong. I'm wrong and dumb. . Go buy a flannel, white belt, sunglasses, tight pants, and some color parts for bikes now.

dude, you live in quincy. time to HTFU and start "stabbin' kehds".joeyfresh, MPH: Clearly you've never met Shah. Motherfucker could eat 2700lbs on the spot and then carry the other half.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikehost77

what's with the Quincy stabbin, I don't get it.. I prefer swords from Kan-Man, they can cut peoples heads off
    Under the boot is how we get things done!I ride bicycles better than you do!
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2011 edited

Wait, why would you encourage anyone to buy a white belt and tight pants? That's not cool.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    bikehost77:what's with the Quincy stabbin, I don't get it.. I prefer swords from Kan-Man, they can cut peoples heads off
    Under the boot is how we get things done!

swords from kan-man fall apart as soon as they meet the slightest resistance. quincy is like the stabbing capital of the south shore, you didn't know that? you're not actually from quincy are you?joeyfresh, MPH: Clearly you've never met Shah. Motherfucker could eat 2700lbs on the spot and then carry the other half.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikehost77

I been in Quincy now for 7 years, I don't hang out with people from Quincy really.I ride bicycles better than you do!
    oh, so that's why you're not addicted to drugs yet. honestly, i never understood how someone not from quincy could live in quincy. that city is wretched...except for grumpy whites and the wonderful staff there.joeyfresh, MPH: Clearly you've never met Shah. Motherfucker could eat 2700lbs on the spot and then carry the other half.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikehost77

My family tree dates back in Quincy to 1860. I rather live here than live in some parts of Boston. It's not far from Boston, parking is easy to find, no sticker needed, subway, punk/hardcore shows every weekend almost, beaches that smell, old ships, quarries, trails, and highways... Not that bad, come on..
    You have drug addicts almost everywhere you go in and outside of Boston and shady people. There shit all stinks too.
    Or it's yuppies, college kids, hipsters, and hippies... I don't think they're any better..I ride bicycles better than you do!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikehost77

I been in Quincy 7 years, I lived in other towns around Boston and few other states too..I ride bicycles better than you do!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBuckley!

bikehost77:I been in Quincy 7 years, I lived in other towns around Boston and few other states too..
    TL;DR

WHO CARES.The kid's gotta learn that the game never lets up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikehost77

You do, you care enough to select the quote botton and read all the nonsense.
    If you really didn't care, you would of just ignored the whole thing and not taken anytime to type.
    Buckley cares!I ride bicycles better than you do!