Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorbrittle
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2009

hey guys
    i feel like a lot of people up in here are involved with graphic design/marketing. i am working with a client who has a pretty impressive portfolio and is looking for work (who isnt..) If anyone has a heads up or connections on freelance stuff (or real job positions), i'd appreciate the info. he is a cuban refugee who i am working with trying to find a job!
    again, i know that a lot of people are stressed for finding work, but i thought it couldn't hurt to ask!disco visp
    Dear Respondent,

Schlesinger Associates is currently looking for participants for some upcoming paid research studies in our Back Bay starting Tuesday, June 9th. Qualified participants will receive $75+ for their time and opinions.
    Specifically we are looking for:

~ Males Age 25-29 who occasionlly or regularly drink alcoholic beverages like Malibu, Pre-Mixed Cocktails (i.e. Smirnoff Pre-mixed cocktails, TGIF Pre-mixed cocktails, etc.) or Bacardi Flavors to participate in a 2-hour Alcoholic Beverages focus group the evening of TUESDAY, JUNE 9TH.

~ Males & Females Age 17-41 who watched at least 4 episodes of the most recent seasons of American Idol or Dancing with the Stars to participate in a 2-hour Television focus groupon Monday, June 15th.

~ New Moms, Moms-to-be and Moms of toddlers (age 9months-2years) to participate in 2-hour focus group on Tuesday, June 16th.

If you think you may qualify, please call (617) 542-5500 and ask to speak to a recruiter. You will be asked some brief questions to determine your eligibility.

PLEASE ALSO FORWARD ALONG THIS EMAIL TO ANY FRIENDS AND FAMILY WHO MAY BE INTERESTED!

Thank You!

Schlesinger Associates - Boston
    31 Saint James Avenue Suite 930
    Boston, MA 02116
    Phone: (617) 542-5500
    Fax: (617) 542-5590

schlesboston@usafocusgroups.com | www.schlesingerassociates.comDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthormauspad
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2009

our lab needs a subject to pilot our study on NEXT WEEK.

must be able to come in for 3 sessions over 3-4 weeks (we're flexible). each session is about 3 hours long. first session is either thursday or friday june 25th or 26th

you get paid 25$ an hour

first session is vision, hearing and paper and pencil tests
    second and third sessions are brain wave recording with electrode caps.

left-handed is okay!

we're at 221 longwood ave in boston. whisper me if you're interested.

and we'll be looking for more subjects in the coming months, too.
    experienced chemical engineer looking for new employment. will work for benefits and casual fridays!
    •  
      CommentAuthortone
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2009

I know Nicole, she's good people.

Medford Health Matters, a nonprofit organization, with a mission to foster an environment of wellness and healthy lifestyles for all those who live, learn, work and play in the City of Medford. Medford Health Matters is actively looking for a design agency who can work with the Medford Health Matters Board to develop a new brand.

Project Description
    Medford Health Matters is actively looking for a design agency who can work with the Medford Health Matters Board to;

Develop an online identity via design and development of a new website. The website will consist of under 10 pages. News and events pages need to be built on a blog platform for editing by Medford Health Matters.

Design a brochure that coincides with the look of the website. This will be a 1-2 page print piece.

Assistance with a postcard/poster the organization will be using in one of their underage drinking prevention projects.

All proposals must include;
    Resume
    A Project based rate to include all three of the above services.
    Examples of previous online and print material, preferably community/health or nonprofit work that you have completed.
    At least 2 references.

Proposals are due on of before July 8, 2009 at 5PM

Work to begin mid-July, 2009.
    Work completed by September 15, 2009.

Medford Health Matters is a tax exempt, non-profit organization and will enter a contracted agreement. Invoices will be paid upon receipt of services or project deliverables.

For questions about Medford Health Matters, please reference www.medfordsquaremarket.com. or email medfordsquaremarket@gmail.comWe are the small axe.
    • CommentAuthoralex_p
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2009

Haru sushi is looking for bike delivery people. If you're interested hit them up and tell them alex sent you. It's pretty fun, you don't have to ride far at all. Pay is 5$ an hour plus all tips. Can make 30$ to 60$ on a good night. They're pretty flexible with hours. Any questions PM me or just hit them up.
    Alex
    • CommentAuthoralex_p
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2009

they definitely are.. i just quit and so did max so they have one dude doing it. they will literally hire you on the spot probably- go in and check it out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2009

Know your way around a bike, have some past mechanical experience? Then check this out.

Mechanic needed to work 20 hours a week. Pay starts at $10 an hour.

The person needs to be mature, creative, able to work outside the box and with others. He/she also must either be in college or have a college degree (this may be flexible if you are the right person).

The Dutch Bicycle Company
    161 Broadway | Somerville, MA 02145 | USA | 617.591.1234 | skype name: dutchbikeshq | www.dutchbikes.us

If you are serious about this position you can say that "you read about this on shanes website" it might help...but if you are a total wanker you didn't hear about this from me :)this wont hurt a bit...
    •  
      CommentAuthordora
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2009 edited

FUCK. i'd be all over that if it were november. my contract is ending with my current company and im pretty sure they're not gunna renew it.
    sux that bike shops don't usually need more people when it's cold and shitty out!Must be awful, being so fluffy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpolkaishot

ugh, i want a job :(insert lulzy signature here
    • CommentAuthormauspad

dutch bikes is a sweet gig, punctuationsfun and buckley work there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjared45666
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2009

The otherside just fucked me over. if anyone knows of anywhere hiring prep/line cooks, or anything at all for that matter lemme knowwwOut of the K-hole & Into the kitchen
    • CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2009

if you get a job at dutch bikes, you've gotta take us out on the conference bikes. Its a requirement, or something.

(that said, they are good people there - made my bike move possible)ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    • CommentAuthorben

Trying to find an admin assistant job without a whole lot of past experience sux0rz.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorpolkaishot

ben_r:Trying to find an admin assistant job without a whole lot of past experience sux0rz.

you're telling me :/

i've got like ~3 years of experience and still no job.insert lulzy signature here
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

if you are the right kind of person this will sound like a great plan, if not you can ignore me...

AMERICORPS! Seriously do it, changed my life, made me who I am today, absolutely best thing I ever did with myself, if you know me and like me...its cause of americorps, if you can't stand me...also because of americorps.

If you have any questions about how it works, or what you can do or how the loan thing works, or what the benefits are let me know I will tell you everything I know. But suffice to say that there are programs that deal with just about anything you could be interested in, in all 50 states, and the shit is the bee's knee's.

There are even several kick ass programs in boston, and on cape cod (the cape cod one is my baby though so if you want a recommendation for that one you had better be a fucking amazing person)

AMERICORPS!!!

I am gonna go blow my nose now.this wont hurt a bit...
    •  
      CommentAuthorkjelgaard
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2009

What sort of things were you doing with Americorps?http://www.fanfiction.net/s/800170/1/EVANGELION_NEXUS
    I need a Bookeeper Type For my Office.

Good $$ No dress code 9 to 5
    •  
      CommentAuthordora

Black Squirrel:I need a Bookeeper Type For my Office.

Good $$ No dress code 9 to 5

i have a bunch of experience!
    where do you work? what's the pay like? health insurance? am i going get laid off in a couple months? do they care about tattoos? where is it?

i'm serious about this. i have a job now but i'm a temp, have been for the past year and a half. i get no benefits and, due to budget restraints, they can't hire any more full time employees this year.Must be awful, being so fluffy.
    •  
      CommentAuthortravisW

i want a job for a couple nights a week, barback, or something. i need to be able to start after 6pm.boooyah
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

CACTUS FRANKIE:What sort of things were you doing with Americorps?

in Americorps I did the following (and other stuff):
    build trails
    cut shit down with chain saws
    started fires (for good not evil!)
    taught high school
    built computers
    taught people how to use computers
    removed invasive species
    taught kids about water conservation
    did science
    did shellfish science
    built rocks bridges
    built boardwalks
    renovated several different kinds of environments (desert, scrub, river, marsh)
    ran a program where kids built solar powered race cars
    taught the public about renewable energy
    installed wind turbines and solar panels
    managed a team of 13 people
    lived in a house with 13 other people
    lived on my own
    high altitude trail maintenance
    opened red cross shelters during a blizzard
    rescued old people from snow
    removed invasive species
    and a whole lot of other stuff..seriously i could write this list all day, I did so many crazy awesome thingsthis wont hurt a bit...
    bored at work?YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    •  
      CommentAuthorkjelgaard

way to pad out your list, you said "removed invasive species" twice.

I've signed up for americorps stuff in the past and never heard back but only for trail building jobs in the forest. the application also wanted me to be able to operate a chainsaw while falling out of a helicopter or some such thing that I was in no way qualified to do.http://www.fanfiction.net/s/800170/1/EVANGELION_NEXUS
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown

I should have done something like that right after college.
    Instead I rode around in a van with stinky dudes, told dick jokes and made out with unsavory broads.
    Oh and I lost a ton of money.e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

^I did a lot of that too, only I was "serving america"

and I removed a shit load of invasive species...so it deserves to be on there twice. Mind you the above list incorporates almost 4 years of Americorps

and I will have you know ella I stayed home today cause my face keeps leaking snot, and my head feels like someone is pounding on it with hammers...although the pounding is gone now, and the snot has slowed to a trickle...so I will most likely be going to work tomorrow.this wont hurt a bit...
    •  
      CommentAuthorpolkaishot

stilgarrrrr,

tell me moar. i had this crazy idea back when i was like 19 of joining the peace corps or americorps immediately after college and then at the end of my 2nd year of college i randomly decided to transfer up here to bu. needless to say, quite possibly a bad idea in retrospect cuz of loans, etc. altho not much i can do it about it now, amirite? anyway, i'm still looking into this cuz well the job market sucks ass right now and i'd rather do something productive with my time.insert lulzy signature here
    oooo. i feel better. i think it was just allergies.YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

when you are in americorps, they:

1. put your loan on deferment (means you don't make no payments while you are in the program)
    2. Pay your interest for the year you are in the program (means your loan wont get any bigger than it was when you started)
    3. give you 4750 dollars at the end of the year to pay off your loans, or go back to school (this might have gone up since obama is making radical changes to the amount of money you get, but it has not gone down)
    4. while in the program you get paid, depends on what program and what area of the country, but it is poverty level
    5. by definition while in Americorps you qualify for food stamps, and you should get them.

on top of all that the program I was in on Cape Cod also gave you free housing, free clothes, money for gas (you had to have a car, which kind of sucked), and helped you get food stamps no problem. also it was insanely hard and rewarding work that made me come home happy almost every day, I met some of the most amazing people in the world, and developed a bond with them that has stayed strong for years.

some other things I have noticed.

A majority of the people who do americorps are hot girls, a fair percentage of those hot girls are lesbians, the men that do the program tend to be either dorks, or ruggedly handsome. Not that this matters. What tends to unite them all is a desire to do something good for the world, which can give you the feeling that everyone in the world is awesome, but really you are just self selecting a lot.

the only word of warning I would give is that, it is really hard work, you get paid almost nothing, and you have to (HAVE TO) do it because you care about the issue your program deals with.

I spent nights under the stars, woke up on beaches, climbed mountains, got so filthy you couldn't see my skin, walked through fire (literally) and met and fell in love with some of the craziest lovably fuckers ever.

(yea so this is why I don't talk about this cause I tend to gush like a hallmark card, but seriously it was great)this wont hurt a bit...
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

ohh and one last thing about the 4750 it might not seem like a lot, but because your loan doesn't get any bigger while in the program and then you drop this huge payment on it all at once after two years of americorps I reduced the "scheduled payback" time for my loans by over 15 years in two years. I now don't have any student loans. loan payments might only be 120 a month but they make their money by having you pay that amount for like 30 years, dropping a huge load of money on it beats them at their own game.this wont hurt a bit...
    •  
      CommentAuthorpolkaishot

what about private loans? i know they definitely have shit to kill off federal loans.. but i think my main concern is sallie mae raping me.insert lulzy signature here
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

as far as I know they don't care if you use the money for federal or private, however you may run into trouble if you have already put your loans on deferment for a year already, citibank came for my blood because I tried that, but I was able to put my private loan on deferment for the fist year I was in the program, and then the second year I got food stamps and used the money I would have spent on food to pay my private loan payment.

The federal loans were all good both years.

also like I said the payback and stuff is changing because obama is changing the program you should go to americorps.gov to see what they offer now.

I actually had a "fuck you citibank" party the day I payed off the last of my private loans, we all stood around the computer and I made the final payment then we all screamed "fuck you citibank!" then everyone got drunk on booze I purchased for them.

It was a great day.this wont hurt a bit...
    • CommentAuthorunit

^is there any way to get around the needing to own a vehicle issue?
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

^each program is different, didn't need one in texas, needed on on cape cod. so if you don't have a car just pick a program that wont need one.this wont hurt a bit...
    • CommentAuthorthehum
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2009 edited

stilgar:
    CACTUS FRANKIE:What sort of things were you doing with Americorps?

in Americorps I did the following (and other stuff):

man that all sounds fucking amazing. What was teaching kids science/computers like? Working corperate IT, I've taught some pretty arrogant business execs how to use computers-man that sucked.

A majority of the people who do americorps are hot girls, a fair percentage of those hot girls are lesbians, the men that do the program tend to be either dorks, or ruggedly handsome. Not that this matters. What tends to unite them all is a desire to do something good for the world, which can give you the feeling that everyone in the world is awesome, but really you are just self selecting a lot.

hehe, were there many other computer/science geeks besides yourself?

stilgar:
    I actually had a "fuck you citibank" party the day I payed off the last of my private loans, we all stood around the computer and I made the final payment then we all screamed "fuck you citibank!" then everyone got drunk on booze I purchased for them.

It was a great day.

lol.theHum
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

I taught highschool kids A+ certification in texas, all the kids had been kicked out of normal school because of "behavior problems" my instructions were "do anything you want, just make sure 25% pass the test" I had a mohawk, my neck pierced, would swear (a lot) and basically treated them all like they were in my gang 80% passed the test.

I taught 2-6th graders about water science...in a gym, 100+ at a time...it was exhausting but fun. I would often run the bubble booth where I would put them in a giant bubble, or the water world booth where I would tell them about nitrogen pollution from runoff by using dinosaurs and fake shit that was really chocolate sprinkles. They loved it.

I would also teach "community members" how to use and build their own computers. This mostly meant that I would teach people who barely spoke English how to put together computers install operating systems on them and then use them. It was highly rewarding but very exhausting. One lady didn't know you could move the mouse diagonal so she would move it over then down, then over, then down, then over, then down. My spanish is non-existent so I used the "ghost" method and just stood behind her and put my hand over her hand and moved it around in circles till she got the idea. (before you get any dirty ideas she was like 70) (and before you get any ideas about that, stop it)

there were representatives of every major you can think of. From evolutionary biologists to english majors. The shit we would talk about at night was fantastic. I had a year long discussion with a guy who successfully convinced me humans don't have free will, we talked about sex, drugs, rock and roll, our favorite trail tool (tie: Pulaski and axe-Maddox), how best to remove a tree stump, poop, you name it. honestly a small part of me would go back and do it right now, but I am past that part of my life and I really like my current job so most likely will not happen, but if any of you do it you can tell me about it and I can live vicariously through you.this wont hurt a bit...
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

If you are interested I wrote a recap of my year in texas here....be warned there is a lot of navel gazing, and shit like that.this wont hurt a bit...
    stilgar:I had a mohawk, my neck pierced, would swear (a lot) and basically treated them all like they were in my gang 80% passed the test.

pix.

shane, you are a terribly interesting person. i wish i knew you better.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJack

The Segal AmeriCorps Education Award cannot be used to pay private loans, though, talk with your lender about deferment/forbearance options. Should be an easy sell given the current economic conditions. Also, the Education Award can be put towards current or future tuition payments. Some schools will even match contributions!

I was genuinely surprised by the different kinds of Americorps programs out there catering to a wide range of needs, skills, and interests.
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

^good to know, also I heard talk of people signing up for continuing education classes, paying like 200 bucks and getting the community college to refund the rest of the money to them as cash, which they then used to pay for rent/private loans.

and yea lots of programs.this wont hurt a bit...
    •  
      CommentAuthorJack

You can also take a ~$1k lump sum if you prefer.

http://www.americorps.gov/for_individuals/benefits/benefits_ed_award.asp
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

^basically the only way you would want to do that is if you have already done 2 full years and gotten two ed-awards...I thought about doing another year and taking the cash ha ha.this wont hurt a bit...
    •  
      CommentAuthorJack

Or if you didn't have any student loans.
    • CommentAuthormauspad
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2009 edited

funemployed or flexibly employed? we're still looking for subjects for our brain wave study! 3 visits over about a month, 3-4 hours each visit, $25 an hour. we don't jab you with needles or give you mysterious drugs! just sit in a chair with a funny cap on your head at 221 longwood in boston and push buttons. seriously.

(it does have to be between 9-5 on mondays through fridays, though.)
    tell all your friends.

call 617-732-8869 for a phone screen anytime, leave a message if we don't pick up and we'll call you back during business hours!

and don't feel weird if i don't know you. i'm nice. i promise.
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

^I can vouch for this, it is easy money, and some parts are even fun, and maus + coworker are hilarious and fun to work with, DO IT!!!this wont hurt a bit...
    •  
      CommentAuthorpolkaishot

mauss, i might take you up on that offer! i'll give you a call tomorrow.insert lulzy signature here
    • CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2009 edited

My office is losing a highly skilled member of its staff in the next month. As a result we're hiring on a new developer.
    The position's primary languages will be PHP, mysql, and Javascript (our primary library is jquery). The guy we are losing is incredibly skilled with javascript, so someone with a focus/expertise in that area would be a big plus.

Schedule is pretty great - in office an average of 9 days a month, the rest of the time working @ home (or wherever you want). The office is a fun place for the times we are there - we've got rock band, wii, ball pit, kegerator, and catered lunch every weds (as well as an always-open snack room).

If you're a dev lookin for a job, whisper me and we'll meet for a beer.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    ^Do you need writers? Damn, I'd be in the office all the time...I'd live there!Word nerd
    XUE!! PICK MEE!!!YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    HELP ME!!!

I feel like i've applied everywhere, does anyone know of any place that is hiring and not too judgmental as far as tattoos and piercings, i've lost two opportunities recently because of that. Let me know!!!what the fuck are you talking about. bikes, bitches & booze or get the fuck out.
    • CommentAuthorPugatch
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2009 edited

Metro Pedal Power is hiring a part time courier to fill my shoes since I left last week. More info on their website www.metropedalpower.com

Boston Organics where I work now is looking for 2 full time van drivers you work tue-fri 7am-5pm health insurance 401k blah blah blah free food (about 50-100 bucks worth of organic produce) every friday they got the job listing on craigslistThink of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world