Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorUm,Bro?
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2009

Anyone know about any restaurant jobs or animation gigs (freelance or whatever)? My friend Justin is probably gonna have to move back home if he doesn't find anything soon, and I'm majorly bummed about it. He can edit video/animate for your website/do concept art. This dude's got skills.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHamburger
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2009

MicroCenter in Cambridge is hiring temps to work mid-November to mid-January. I do not know the pay rate or any other information, but their website has all that information, just search "career opportunities" (the ones that never knock).People make decisions.
    •  
      CommentAuthorUm,Bro?

I've heard that any job they give you is to keep you off the dock.

Thanks for the heads up dude.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/fbh/1385970889.html
    ^^yeah but you'd better take anything they've got.

even if it's opening letter bombs.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2009

I won't open mail bombs for you.e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    •  
      CommentAuthorkjelgaard
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2009

I just got a callback from a job listing I applied to 2 months ago...http://www.fanfiction.net/s/800170/1/EVANGELION_NEXUS
    • CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2009

does anyone here work as a lab tech?
    are these jobs easy to get (entry level)?
    is a b.s. all that is generally required?
    does anyone know of any openings?gone
    ^biology lab tech?

Right now it depends on a fair bit of luck/connections since most labs are strapped, but it's been getting better and people are starting to hire again. The problem is there are a million BS-level not-very-experienced bio kids in this town. I've been around BWH for close to 5 years now and have tried to help a few people out, but with mixed results. I'll look around again if you are a bio kid though. There's at least a few more of us on here too.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthordora

word. all the jobs that say they'll hire someone with no experience winds up going to someone with experience. luckily they are pretty good about posting on craigslist or check out the harvard and MIT (broader institute) job web sites. also look at the children's hospital job web site. they have TONS of job postings. i'm sure you'll get hired somewhere if you're persistent :)Must be awful, being so fluffy.
    key word PERSISTENT, for real.

It took me a few months and a few hundred resume submissions (seriously) to get my first job here. Chil'ens, BWH, BIDMC, MGH, MEEI, etc etc all have online postings but the shitty part is that a large percentage of those are already filled, and are only posted for legal reasons.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthormauspad

^^dora are you science? why have we not bonded about this?
    •  
      CommentAuthordora
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2009

i am science!! haha
    i don't know why we haven't bonded over this! high five!! :)
    where do you work? i remember you posting something about clin trials... i think it was you
    wooH!!Must be awful, being so fluffy.
    SCIEEEEEEENCE!

dora are you in longwood?

we need another longwood lemmings lunch soon.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthormauspad

we also need a name better than longwood lemmings. like, come on, we're scientists, goddammit. but the only thing i can think of is longwood lepidoptera and that is just way too specific to entomology.
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

^SOCIOBIOLOGY CLASS FLASHBACKS!!! my professor had a sweet accent. my favorite was when she talked about bees and the eusocial hymenoptera. hey i need a job too...
    longwood lions?

-leopards?

-locutionists?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthordora
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2009

nope, i work in cambridge.

i was a biochem major so i never got to take zoology or sociobiology or any of that stuff. i wish i could've!!Must be awful, being so fluffy.
    ^you and me both. one of my favorite classes ever was experimental ecology, and every now and then i question my choice of mobio.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

i had an ecology professor who worked at nahant and his life's work was developing a method to test the stickiness of snails. he was really excited about it.
    • CommentAuthormauspad

neuroscience & behavior, never looked back. though now i'm applying to some psyc programs for grad school and it makes me feel a little dirty inside.
    • CommentAuthormauspad

ratattack:i had an ecology professor who worked at nahant and his life's work was developing a method to test the stickiness of snails. he was really excited about it.

he must have been a helluva grant writer
    •  
      CommentAuthordora

^ahahahhah :D this is true.
    oh man neuroscience & behavior is SO INTERESTING! have you ever read that book, Descartes' Error? it's fascinating. but since you studied/are studying it you probably know all the stuff that book talks about anyway. but to a beginner like me, holy crap :)

surprisefries, mobio=microbio?? experimental ecology sounds SOOO rad.

ahh!! this is why i wanna go back to school! :D i could care less about a degree and letters after my name, i just wanna learn about all this crazy shit!Must be awful, being so fluffy.
    molecular. mobio, mo'problems.

i dig your excitement, i fear i'm getting a bit jaded toward science.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorcdrebbel

Clearly a fad.Fuck yeah.
    "Science is so 90s."

great quote from a friend who was a molecular endocrinologist for Merck in Philly, then moved to San Diego with her semipro skater boi and started working at Target, within 6mo she was making more than she did at Merck. Now though she works for an antibody company in sales.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthordora

oh yea, duh :)

why do you think you're getting jaded toward science?

you're a fad, JEFF ;)Must be awful, being so fluffy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorcdrebbel

A fad with staying power. We're talking Pokemon popular here.Fuck yeah.
    • CommentAuthortristan

Somerville bike auction in a few weeks (quote from email):

Hello All -

There were a number of follow-up questions on the bike auction. The
    day/date is Saturday, Nov. 14th. According to the Police Chief, all
    bikes have been checked against reports of stolen bikes.

Here are more details:

The City of Somerville will be auctioning off over 300 bicycles on
    Saturday, November 14th from 11 to 3 p.m. at the Somerville High School
    Atrium located at 81 Highland Avenue in Somerville. All those
    interested may preview the bicycles from 10 - 11 a.m. on November 14th
    at the Somerville High School Atrium.

All sales are final and bikes will be sold "as is" in existing
    condition. The city will accept cash or check. Please make checks
    payable to the "City of Somerville."

Bikes will be sold to those with the highest offer.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    •  
      CommentAuthorcdrebbel

^ That may deserve its own thread.Fuck yeah.
    must...stay...away...don't...have...money...or space.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    dora:oh yea, duh :)

why do you think you're getting jaded toward science?

you're a fad, JEFF ;)

Uhhhhhh everyone goes through cycles of being totally uninterested in his/her job, mine seem to be getting longer and more frequent. I will probably never go for more school because molecular bio just isn't that interesting to me anymore. I think it's too derivative for my interest/taste/attention span/whatever. Plus being a tech (especially the only tech) in a small academic lab is a tough gig. I may just sell out and go to industry for a job that's easier and pays more, IF i decide i wanna be a tech4life.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorhowl
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2009 edited

^Yeah- that kind of job situation can be a tough deal. Seems like the tech tends to get stuck being lab manager/scut worker/new postdoc nanny, rather than doing interesting things.

Working in a bigger lab where you have your own project can be a lot more rewarding sciencewise.Troglodytarum is latin for troll
    • CommentAuthortristan

Wow... I totally did *not* mean to post that in the need work thread.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    •  
      CommentAuthordora
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2009

how could i forget,
    happy mole day you guys!!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mole_DayMust be awful, being so fluffy.
    oh jeez

i'm not sure what's worse, that i forgot it's mole day or that i am a little sad that i forgot mole day.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2009

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....who wants to hire me? i'll put my college education, knowledge of bikes, or sexy body to good use.
    I saw that Clear Flour bakery is hiring. They have delicious things and beautiful women working there. Just sayin.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    Deadline is today:

VOCATIONAL TRAINING IN BIKE MECHANICS
    http://bikesnotbombs.org/vocational

Interested in the bicycle industry but don’t know where to develop your skills? Bikes Not Bombs offers a yearly bike mechanics vocational training course designed to graduate participants into jobs at local area bike shops upon completion.

The course runs January 12th - March 20th 2010

The course meets Tuesdays 4-7pm, Thursdays 4-7pm, and Saturdays 3-6pm

*Teens under 18 meet on these days plus an extra class day on Mondays 4-7pm

BNB offers 10 class placements, for teens (15 and up) and adults that are serious about becoming professional bike mechanics, but don’t have formal training. In past years graduates have taken jobs at Bikes Not Bombs, Broadway Bicycle School, Ferris Wheels, Community Bike Shop, Cambridge Bike and other bike related businesses.

The 3 month course costs $250, and scholarships are available based on need. BNB has a strong commitment to youth job training and making it financially possible for all. Youth applicants under 18 are especially encouraged to apply for a scholarship.

Applications are due Tuesday Dec 1, 2009 by 5pm.

If you are under 18, download the Vocational Training Course application for teens

If you are 18 or over, download the Vocational Training Course application for 18+

To apply for a scholarship, see the scholarship form

Contact Alex Twombly at 617-522-0226 or alex@bikesnotbombs.org.I haven't gotten to that part of the poop yet
    • CommentAuthorunit
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2009 edited

Ever wonder what its like to be on your bike for 8 hours a day in 20 degree weather? Want to justify buying that XXL Freight bag? The courier service I work for is looking for People that know the area pretty well and can follow directions. email me at Kellie_rippahhh@yahoo.com if you are intrested. The work is hard and there is alot of it, but hey its a jerb
    • CommentAuthorowen
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2009

Yo, I'm not going to need a second job for a month or two, but if anyone sees any sort of three day a week (MWF) employment available, give me a holler.
    Experienced bike mechanic needed in Brooklyn this summer:

http://prollyisnotprobably.com/2010/01/affinity_needs_a_mechanic.php

Some of you have prolly already seen this (see what I did there?) but I figured I'd spread the word.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    • CommentAuthorunit
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2010

Hey my courier company is hiring messengers again...If you have experience com on by...City Express 55 utica st boston, right by south station
    •  
      CommentAuthordora
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2010

"shitty depressed" will never stop being funny to me

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHMust be awful, being so fluffy.
    Last I saw Clear Flour Bakery was hiring. Might be worth a shot for y'all. Also a nice little shop next to South End Buttery.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    ^cookie whorei mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    tinyhonkshus:^cookie baked goods whore

fixed.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    hey, i'm looking for an afternoon/evening gig 2-3 afternoons/evenings a week.

anyone know of anything?You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    there are a few places in the Prudential Mall that are hiring if you don't mind being a retail whore. Teavana (where I work), Oakley, Barnes and Nobles Cafe, and Express are where I know are hiring (signs out front, or there were on sunday) and I've heard that Saks fifth might be hiring.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    conor!:hey, i'm looking for an afternoon/evening gig 2-3 afternoons/evenings a week.

anyone know of anything?

you should try barista-ing or wait-ing.YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK