Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2011

^If you rent a flat kit for $5, you're out $5 when you return the bike. If you buy a $6 tube, you still have a tube at the end. I think youse guyses pricing is offs.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2011 edited

nerdo:^If you rent a flat kit for $5, you're out $5 when you return the bike. If you buy a $6 tube, you still have a tube at the end. I think youse guyses pricing is offs.

That makes sense if all you need is the tube.
    If you already have tire levers and a pump, you probably have a bike of your own.
    $5 to rent a flat kit vs. ~$38 to own things you're not planning on using ever again ($6 for tube, $2 for levers, ~$30 for pump) is actually not a bad deal.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Yeah yeah yeah, but just bring that shit along. It don't make sense to pack a bike for a long weekend, but it does make sense to pack a lever, tube and a CO2.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    I dunno anything about UA's clientele, but I'd guess off hand that it isn't the kind of cyclist who has levers and a pump/co2 to bring along?
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

I have been undone by your lawyerly logic.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    you are entirely correct, tim. haha. An amazingly small amount of people actually take advantage of our flat kit service, but an amazingly high amount gripe at the price of tubes at other shops. our kits come with TWO TUBES! TWO! We lose money if you get two flats (well, kind of, cause cost on tubes is like 1.50)Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

Lawgic is for faggots.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    • CommentAuthorroburrito

If you are concerned about the price, couldn't you just "get two flats" and you know... magically have 2 tubes and cartridges in your bag when you go home.A few spokes shy of a wheel.
    joeyfresh:Lawgic is for faggots.
    somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    SO IS SPEELINGDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

It's a portmanteau, you philistine.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    psh more like joeystaleDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    oh my god did you guys know "electrocution" arose as a portmanteau of "electrical execution?" holy shit this is blowing my MIND.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    and all this time i thought it was electricutionsomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

surprisefries:psh more like joeystale

psh more like surprisefffffffuckthatguyWe'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile mick
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2011 edited

^any relation to this?..
    somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    ^best.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    So you're calling me fat and saying Alex should peg me? I'm so offended right now.

Joe I'ma mushroom stamp your face tonight.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Gentlemen, please... we must maintain this forum's impeccable reputation for decorum and excellent spelling.
    too bad you can't sig yourself, lobari mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2011

tinyhonkshus:too bad you can't sig yourself, lobar

Nice, tiny."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2011

I need an adjustable wrench to get my pedal straps off. Mine is mia and ignoring all search beacons.
    My 1/4 is too small and my 5/16 too big..wtf
    In brighton near kiki's- would rather meet closer than farther. Shouldn't take 10 minutes to swap them over.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

^Metric???Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler

Yeah but luckily my roomie had a spanner in her purse?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

get your SAE tools away from your bicycle...
    •  
      CommentAuthorkatdaley
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2011

Anyone have a 2 person (or more) tent that I may borrow for Green Mountain CX this weekend? I would be eternally grateful!Behind my Game Boy™, I got game, boy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2011

you can borrow mine. do you need a sleeping bag as well?
    •  
      CommentAuthorwest.
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2011

I also have a tent.
    It will keep you dry and warm.
    2 people.unstuck in time
    •  
      CommentAuthorwest.
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2011

Random things I would like to borrow.

-) Headset press
    -) Derailleur Hanger Alignment Gauge/Straightener tool thingy

Pretty please?unstuck in time
    • CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2011

^ rent the tools at broadway or go to bikesnotbombs on one of their fix-your-own shop nights.gone
    • CommentAuthorsmoothness
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2011

west - you can build your own headset press out of pipe fittings for 15 dollars. more fun, and you'll have the tool forever. don't go to bikes not bombs for the derailleur alignment gauge - they don't allow people to use the nicer, weirder tools like that. you might have to go to broadway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

i think baumann did a DIY headset press thread with step by step instructions before. you could search for that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfmradio516

^ i built one and have a hard time every time i use it. The cups wind up sitting crooked in the frame as soon as I start tightening them down. Then gotta back it up and start over.MUFFDVR
    •  
      CommentAuthorwest.

Yeah, I don't really want to jurry (jerry?)- rig something that isn't going to work that well and might fuck something up. Also, just realized I need a crown race installation tool... goddamit. I think I might just go get it done somewhere to save on the hassle. What's that gonna cost, like $15? Same for the derailler hanger straightening I suppose.

:\unstuck in time
    Either jury-rig or jerry-rig is acceptable.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorMJ

I had to use one a while ago to help my friend put her new pake frame together.

The hardest part was the removal of the cups. Used a piece of copper split in quarters, and didn't have any damage on the cups, but the pipe got bent to shit a few times. Cut it back down to a useable piece and repeat.

However using a piece of threaded rod and some nuts and washers we were able to put in the headset no problem. It's not ideal, but going slowly and making sure that everything was aligned properly, the headset was pressed in perfectly.

Couldn't have cost more than $5 to be honest, unless you needed to get a long length of threaded rod. I think we were working with about 18" total?
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

do you know how to use the tools you need to borrow? or do you need both the tools & instruction?
    • CommentAuthorsmoothness

^+1. If you've never done the process before with professional tools, you might have a problem using homemade ones.
    •  
      CommentAuthorwest.

I've used/know how to use a headset press.

I've never used a derailleur straightener...but how hard could it be? <--famous last wordsunstuck in time
    • CommentAuthorBAUMANN

for me, derailleur straightener = adjustable crescent wrench
    i just straightened out en entire dropout that had been bent to shit using nothing more than a wrench, works perfect(ish)!

headset press is pretty simple to make and use - http://bostonfixed.us/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=3854&page=1#Item_11

definitely helps if you have some experience using the real thing.
    #1 to remember is to align the cups as best you can and take your time.RIDE METAL
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

and bring a towel"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    west, derailleur straightener is something that threads into the dr hole and uses leverage that can be spun so as to be able to bend it in every direction while seeing if it's even. head to one of the bike schools and ask them to teach you the ones you dont know and see if you can borrow the tools you do know.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    the tool mick is describing should only be used on steel an ti frames, honestly most mechanics will just use a crescent wrenchTake-off everything but your rainboots
    i need to borrow a tan suit for halloweeennnnTake-off everything but your rainboots
    • CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2011 edited

bike trailer plz, need it tmrw afternoon in allston/la by 3ish pmgone
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2011

WTB: Season 1 and 2 of Breaking Bad."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    • CommentAuthorObo
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2011

^Netflix instant streaming up to season 3I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2011

I don't have Netflix."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    try these

or sidereel.comsomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    does anyone have a trials bike hanging around?Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt