Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthortyler
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2010 edited

anyone have a socket set I could borrow today? I need to take out my BB to find out what size etc but don't have the proper tool. tis a hexagonal bolt
    • CommentAuthorflashbang
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2010

tanooki:anyone have a socket set I could borrow today? I need to take out my BB to find out what size etc but don't have the proper tool. tis a hexagonal bolt

standard or metric?
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler

^can't tell exactly. i think it's a metric hex
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

ok, then get plastic bar ends and put them at the end of the grip. the nickel trick (as far as i am aware, and have used it) is only to put in plastic grips to prevent them from getting punctured/torn.
    • CommentAuthorflashbang

tanooki:^can't tell exactly. i think it's a metric hex

too bad; i've got a standard set but no metric. yeah i think all bike stuff is metric actually -- wasn't thinking.
    • CommentAuthorflashbang

ratattack:ok, then get plastic bar ends and put them at the end of the grip. the nickel trick (as far as i am aware, and have used it) is only to put in plastic grips to prevent them from getting punctured/torn.

carter pm'd me re: corks... interesting idea too
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2010 edited

tanooki:anyone have a socket set I could borrow today? I need to take out my BB to find out what size etc but don't have the proper tool. tis a hexagonal bolt

socket set, or hex wrench set? are you trying to take off the crank arms to get at the bb? aka, trying to remove these guys:

first off, if you're trying to figure out the size of the bb to replace it, you should just be able to look up the recommended spindle length online for your crankset. short of you having something french/wonky, the bb shell should be 68mm and then you just need the length. so that way you don't have to take it out to figure out the size and then take it out again to replace it.

second, unless you again have something wonky/old, to take off your cranks you need an 8mm hex wrench and a crank puller, and yet another tool (BB tool) to pull your bottom bracket out.

if i'm completely wrong in my understanding of what you're looking to do or what you're set up is, sorry, but that's what it sounds like you're doing and what you need.

if that is what you need and you need help doing this, i have tools and a repair stand. i would check out what bb you need and get it first, and then i could help you swap them if you would like.

also, if you are replacing your BB & have a ss/fg, i would suggest getting the recommended length in the miche bb. it requires a different bb tool (i have it, though) than the shimano but there isn't a fixed cup, so you can move them in and out if needed to get a better chainline, and it costs the same as the basic shimano bb.
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2010

it's 14mme-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    Some time Monday or Tuesday, chain whip, lockring tool, and a chainring bolt tool.Girls on bikes really turn my crank
    Lauren, I believe he's trying to get the cotters off of the bike I sold him yesterday.

Tyler, check Sheldon Brown for info on getting rid of cotters.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2010

yeah, i have limited mechanical knowledge that doesn't include older stuff.
    StreetTumbler:Some time Monday or Tuesday, chain whip, lockring tool, and a chainring bolt tool.

I've got 2 outta 3: Chain whip (1/8 and 3/32), lockring toolI thought that might be you! But there was no shimmy-shake so I couldn't be sure.
    i have a bolt tool, but you should buy one if you can afford...them shits is useful.joeyfresh, MPH: Clearly you've never met Shah. Motherfucker could eat 2700lbs on the spot and then carry the other half.
    • CommentAuthormauspad
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2010

a spoon makes a decent makeshift chainring bolt tool.
    ^butter knives as well.joeyfresh, MPH: Clearly you've never met Shah. Motherfucker could eat 2700lbs on the spot and then carry the other half.
    •  
      CommentAuthorwest.

I don't understand why they bother making 3/32 chainwhips at all.

I mean, 1/8th whip would work in all situations, right? Kind of how you can use a 1/8 chain with 3/32 cogs and chainrings?

And if you're removing a cassette, 1/8 would work just as well as a 3/32.

WTF.unstuck in time
    Not entirely. Have you ever tried putting a 1/8 chain on a 9 or 10-speed cassette? it won't engage because the chain is too wide.

edit: I tried this on accident one time. just to clarify.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthorwest.

Not if you put it on the biggest cassette, closest to the spokes (or pie plate if that's your thing).

Maybe I've been lucky.

Meh.unstuck in time
    It's been my experience that the chain whip can't be on a too-large cog, or it won't have enough grip to not slip off the teeth when you turn it. Maybe though. if you were strapped for space in your tool box I suppose it'd be a workable compromise.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    artesc:Not if you put it on the biggest cassette, closest to the spokes (or pie plate if that's your thing).

Maybe I've been lucky.

Meh.

FTW (for cassettes only mind you)clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorwest.
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2010

^
    those are hellu 'spensive!

Nice tho.

They also make one for cogs btw.unstuck in time
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2010

so been posting here relentlessly, but really wanna get my bike together! I have all the parts to put in a new BB, but I just need a square taper and 14mm socket. Any chance someone around allston has these and wants to help me install a BB and drink my beer? I'm free today til 6 then after 8
    i would but i have to work.joeyfresh, MPH: Clearly you've never met Shah. Motherfucker could eat 2700lbs on the spot and then carry the other half.
    I've got probably all the tools you need, but unfortunately I'm busy till tomorrow =/Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    • CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2010 edited

Park FR-5

I've got a FR-5G, but the friggin thing is too fatty bombatty on the inside to fit over my hub axle. Just need to borrow long enough to tighten a lockring.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    • CommentAuthorn8murphy
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2010

looking to borrow a crank puller and headset tool
    • CommentAuthormauspad

knife sharpener
    • CommentAuthorn8murphy

i got one you got a crank puller
    • CommentAuthorSparky
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2010

May I please borrow a blowtorch? And two of the biggest adjustable wrenches you can find? The adjustable cup on my bottom bracket is stuck, and I want to teach it a lesson.Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live.
    • CommentAuthorBAUMANN
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2010

Sparky:May I please borrow a blowtorch? And two of the biggest adjustable wrenches you can find? The adjustable cup on my bottom bracket is stuck, and I want to teach it a lesson.
    haha let me know when this happens, i want to be there.RIDE METAL
    eBAUMANN: haha let me know when this happens, i want to be there.
    somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    Sparky:May I please borrow a blowtorch? And two of the biggest adjustable wrenches you can find? The adjustable cup on my bottom bracket is stuck, and I want to teach it a lesson.

I haz some tools if needed. Holler at yo boy!clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorGilbert
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2010

Anyone have a bike transport bag I can borrow first week of June? Willing to toss down deposit.

cgilbe1@gmail

Thanks!"You're dancing TOO SMALL; dominant males dance like THIS!" -(drunk) Nate, to me on the art of seduction and the role of dancing therein (while on a dancefloor)
    • CommentAuthorBAUMANN

gilllberrrrrrrt, check it man:

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bik/1743117311.htmlRIDE METAL
    •  
      CommentAuthorGilbert

^Thanks eric! I already own one but we need to get my bike AND Corinna's on zee plane. I might buy this anyway. Cheaper than shipping."You're dancing TOO SMALL; dominant males dance like THIS!" -(drunk) Nate, to me on the art of seduction and the role of dancing therein (while on a dancefloor)
    •  
      CommentAuthorGilbert

..but if anyone can just lend one that would rock too!"You're dancing TOO SMALL; dominant males dance like THIS!" -(drunk) Nate, to me on the art of seduction and the role of dancing therein (while on a dancefloor)
    •  
      CommentAuthorbuddymike
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2010

I need to borrow cable cutters. I need to shorten brake cable and housing. I live in East Cambridge.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGilbert
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2010

^ leaving some in my mailbox. 70 line st somerville # 3. Outta town until Monday. Use em in good health!"You're dancing TOO SMALL; dominant males dance like THIS!" -(drunk) Nate, to me on the art of seduction and the role of dancing therein (while on a dancefloor)
    •  
      CommentAuthorZomar
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2010 edited

I think my rear derailed hanger is bent, can't shift into the smallest ring on the cassette, I need to straighten the hanger. I want to do this: http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=39 . I don't really want to take it into a shop and pay labor when I could do it myself and learn.

Does anyone have a DAG-2 (or DAG-1) Derailleur Hanger Alignment Gauge, or another brand derailleur aligning wrench tool thingamabob? Tool costs like $55 so I don't want to buy it really.

Thanks so much!!!
    ^ got a DAG. BTW, OPEN tools are always free to use (in-shop) as long as you don't break them. holler.strong, light, cheap: pick two
    Freewheel remover (single speed, shimano).You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    • CommentAuthorowen
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2010

One of these?

That's the one.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    • CommentAuthorBAUMANN

i have one, if that wasn't owen offering his up...RIDE METAL
    • CommentAuthorowen

I do have one. It would be a bit hard for me to run it over somewhere today, but im in somerville on highland if you want to come pick it up.
    If any one of you remover-havers want to meet tomorrow (daytime) that would be ideal, otherwise I'll be out of school at 7, grahambear, so I can stop by after that. I'll also probably be at the Thurs. night ride if it happens.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    May I borrow someone's spare rear wheel for the midnight ride tonight? Mine is in a bit of a pickle (broken spoke)Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthorZomar
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2010

Still looking for a DAG-2 (or DAG-1) Derailleur Hanger Alignment Gauge or equivalent if anyone's got one.
    • CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2010 edited

Does anyone have a two-person backpacking tent that I could borrow for 10days starting on wednesday?

I can leave collateral, let you borrow other backpacking eqiupment, etc.
    gone
    • CommentAuthormauspad
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2010

long shot, but does anyone have a pair of size 13(/48) men's dress shoes i could borrow for a wedding on june 19th?