Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Alright, I've recently made my 3rd attempt at going vegan and am taking it very seriously.
    Because of this I've really gotten into cooking (ask Rich), which is something I never really enjoyed until recently. Over the years of being veggie I've acquired a decent collection of vegetarian/vegan cookbooks and have started scouring online for other options to try and was wondering where the other vegans (I think theres a few... I hope) on the forum looks for recipes/inspiration.

So far I've been using
    VeganYumYum (they have a recipe for No-Name!)
    The Post-Punk Kitchen
    Compassion Over Killing's recipe list
    The Vegan ChefPh'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
    I like meat.

Vegan food is good too.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorstickyfoot
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2007

Aaron, I have a vegan cookbook that Erik Gigantic passed to me when I became vegan and which I will now pass to you, the next time I see you. It's called "How It All Vegan."MC Chunky Ice in da howse
    •  
      CommentAuthorkiddo katsu
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2007 edited

i just found my favorite veggie cookbook ever a few months back - veggie planet - same lady that started the restaurant in harvard square. she has at least two cookbooks but i think this one is better.
    i originally checked this out from the library, which surprisingly had several shelves of veggie/vegan cookbooks.
    also, a decent resource: vegwebguess what
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrandonc

i have vegan with a vengeance; it's pretty awesome.
    brandonc:i have vegan with a vengeance; it's pretty awesome.

thats from the PPK peoplePh'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
    • CommentAuthorboundgear

Don't forget weird ass hippie books like no cook books (90% vegan low temp cooking anyone?) or one of my favorites from my collection, "the art of cooking with love and wheat germ" Hippies were always trying to replicate recipes with non-meat substances. They were funny. Vegan mayo, vegan cream puffs, strawberry bread, the ever present high protein cookie. ETcet'rah.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbuddymike

Chicken is then only thing keeping me from going veggie. I will say this, the best lasagna I ever had was vegan.
    I'm trying to stay away from using fake meats too much and instead trying out different things with a wider variety of veggies - lately I've had a thing for kale...Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown

7 years strong

Fully vegan household with no high fructose corn syrup either.

The girlfriend chooses the recipes for the most part. I can ask her about some good resources.

That new cupcake book is solid.e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    I guess while we're all talking food, does anyone here do a CSA share? I found a farm out of Granby in Western MA that delivers its shares to the Harvest Co-op in Cambridge and was thinking about trying to convince the apartment that its a good idea.Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
    • CommentAuthorPugatch
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2007 edited

Been Vegetarian 9 years next week, Vegan the past 4 years. I have used many cookbooks over the years but get most my recipies from VegWeb. Got the cupcake book for my bday last year and love it.Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world
    Get "Very Vegetarian."

Vegan cookbook. CARL LEWIS'S vegan cookbook.Think you're escaping and run into yourself. Longest way round is the shortest way home.
    • CommentAuthorboundgear

CSA's are the way. Mine is more local than granby. There is one in in waltham. I prefer going to the farm and getting my hands on the plants, which waltham fields allows me weekly, as they have a strong pick yo own portion to the weekly pick up. This will be our 4th year coming up. Worth it fo damn sho. We have split the share every year, and even this year, with no rain at all during aug there is still too much per pick up for our house. Or usually too much for 4 adults and one kid. Plus waltham sends a significant portion of its food to help the homeless.

I'm picking up the second winter share tomorrow. If you do want to get a share, please be prepared with 500$ during March/early April, and don't put it off when you hear that it is time.

PS. if you wanted to get the fruit share in the fall I'd split it three ways with you. up to 5 lbs of apples and pears is a little much per week.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkaryatid

Epicurious has a lot of good vegan/vegetarian/omnivore recipes.

Also, any really essential cookbook(s)/reference(s) for maintaining nutrition while being vegan/vegetarian are Laurel's Kitchen, and (surprisingly) What to Expect When You're Expecting.

The latter sounds weird, but in between all the very strange pregnancy-specific things, she also goes over nutritional essentials (like how to get whole protein when you're vegetarian/vegan) and what things to eat more of, by weight and volume. Plus, like, pregnant women need super-good nutrition to not have all their teeth fall out and such. So, it's like the hardcore end of the nutritional spectrum.
    • CommentAuthorbrunop.

dis one time ai ate a shizz ton of vegan cake...made me balls feel great.
    i just made vegan pancakes for dinner! not because i'm vegan, but because we didn't have eggs. still, i plan on going vegan eventually, when i can commit to it.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    • CommentAuthorgone

boundgear:CSA's are the way. Mine is more local than granby. There is one in in waltham. I prefer going to the farm and getting my hands on the plants, which waltham fields allows me weekly, as they have a strong pick yo own portion to the weekly pick up. This will be our 4th year coming up. Worth it fo damn sho. We have split the share every year, and even this year, with no rain at all during aug there is still too much per pick up for our house. Or usually too much for 4 adults and one kid. Plus waltham sends a significant portion of its food to help the homeless.

I'm picking up the second winter share tomorrow. If you do want to get a share, please be prepared with 500$ during March/early April, and don't put it off when you hear that it is time.

PS. if you wanted to get the fruit share in the fall I'd split it three ways with you. up to 5 lbs of apples and pears is a little much per week.

It's not technically CSA, but my roommate and I have been splitting the BostonOrganics "Family Box."

So Much Produce. so little effort.
    the BostonOrganics thing looks interesting, never really knew what it was despite seeing its trucks double parked frequently over the summer. whats the time period that you have to be signed up for?Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
    • CommentAuthorgone
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2007

Aaron Gigantic:the BostonOrganics thing looks interesting, never really knew what it was despite seeing its trucks double parked frequently over the summer. whats the time period that you have to be signed up for?

It's done week-by-week. You can modify/change yr order on the fly, so long as it is 48 hours prior to yr delivery day.

Your delivery day is determined by where you live. For example, Somerville is on Friday. So if I have accumulated a mountain of pears on the top-shelf of my refrigerator, I have until Wednesday of that week to add "pears" to my "Never" list, in which case they'll bring maybe avocados or something, instead.

Also, if I want to guarantee that a bulk 5 lb bag of carrots will end up in my box every other week, I can tack that onto my order (for a nominal additional fee), and then add "carrots" to my "Never" list, so that they will bring me maybe yams or something, instead of lots and lots of carrots.

That last paragraph makes it sound a little more confusing than it is, and maybe you think it doesn't even make sense (trust me, it does).

Anyway, I had putting it off for awhile (signing up), but once I got around to it, I can say with some certainty that BostonOrganics has improved my quality of life significantly.

One should note, of course, that the one downside (at least in comparison to a proper CSA) is that, while they aspire to be local to some extent, a lot of the produce has to get shipped in from far-off places (avocados are rarely in season around these parts, for example). The silver-lining, of course, is that you're not eating turnips for six months, and that I am not 15 minutes away from baking a (vegan) Orange Cake with all of the citrus fruit I have been accumulating lately (hopefully I can replicate the success of that Pear Cake that I made out of those aforementioned pears).
    Vegan Yum Yum is great. Just made the noname, and it was pretty awesome. Had it with Grits and kale(with lots of garlic). For the no name try to find a fairly firm seitan, or really press the liquid out of it. Ours was a little soft due to all the liquid..
    • CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2007 edited

not local, or csa, but the haymarket produce market is the bomb for cheap cheap produce. fri and sats downtown..but you do have to eat the stuff quicker than the store bought produce.
    csa's are nice, not quite sure how much sense they make in boston if you have to dedicate time driving out to wherever they are located, or arranging delivery.
    and i think mncplfreedom has outlined two of the drawbacks to local and/or organic foods: wintertime, in new england, you're not going to get many (in quantity or variety) of local foods, and organic foods are predominantly shipped from 1000s of miles away, esp. in the winter

yesterday i ate some blueberries that came from argentina. the ones i picked myself at the top of a mountain in vermont in july were better. i think what i mean is do what you like.gone
    • CommentAuthorboundgear
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2007 edited

I just picked up my winter share today.

The farmers who dug out my leeks with a crowbar are more hardcore than anyone I've ever met.

Edit- my farm is at max 15 relaxed minutes of driving from my house and I spend usually about an hour there hanging out with the plants and the farmers. If you lived in JP and had to drive to waltham, that would kind of negate the localvore thing for me.
    When you swallow your lovers load are you no longer vegan?WWJD
    ^Vegans make exceptions for human proteins (mainly, because of breast-feeding their children, but I suppose also to swallow love-loads). So, theoretically, you could be a cannibal vegan. Yes!Word nerd
    • CommentAuthor.
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2008

^ thats amazing.
    <blockquote><cite> they call him Sassy:</cite>When you swallow your lovers load are you no longer vegan?</blockquote>

He beat me to it... :/Volkswagen Hero
    WWJD
    • CommentAuthormeatball
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2008

e-yuh, I like taking collard greens a yellow squash a red pepper an onion some garlic and some motherfuckin' asparagus and tossin that shit up in a pan and then fer breakfast put it on a vegan english muffin then slap an egg on that bitch and pour sausage gravy all up its shit
    • CommentAuthordubblaster
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2008 edited

they call him Sassy:

Great!A man becometh what he thinketh.
    notice how the veggie/vegans haven't talked any shit on meat-eaters...Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRob Gigantic
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2008 edited

It's interesting to me that often the kids who hate so strongly on vegetarians are showing the exact level of ignorance and intolerance that, say, SUV-driving frat boys give to all cyclists.

Mmmm, factory meat:
    Word nerd
    •  
      CommentAuthordirty bird
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2008 edited

http://veganmenu.blogspot.com

it's not recipes, exactly, but it's pretty inspiring.
    • CommentAuthormeatball
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2008

Today I had a sandwich that had turkey, pastrami, corned beef, and chopped liver on it and it was awesome
    Rob Gigantic:It's interesting to me that often the kids who hate so strongly on vegetarians are showing the exact level of ignorance and intolerance that, say, SUV-driving frat boys give to all cyclists.

Mmmm, factory meat:

How the fuck are determining "the exact level of ignorance" ? that's incalculable and a horribly moronic statement.
    Just cause you want to think your better than everyone else because of your new found food choice(s) don't think everyone that eats dead animals is "ignorant". your actions at this very moment are causing massive pollution which of course is killing the planet, and everything on it. There is now way around it.
    Thinking your puny stance on what you consume is going to change anything is fool hearty. Take a look at history. This mess of a planet isn't getting any better.WWJD
    According to various estimates by scientists, every day 35- 150
    species of life become extinct. Most of these vanishing species are
    (or were) inhabitants of tropical rain forests. A majority of them
    are insects or plants, and most remain undiscovered by humans at the
    time of their extinction.

The vast majority of these extinctions are the result of forest
    clearing and other human disturbances. Since humans began changing
    the planet, the number of extinctions has exceeded several of the
    great prehistoric die-offs caused by giant comet impacts or climate
    changes. If current trends continue, the human-caused die-off will
    be the worst one ever.

Earth's tropical rainforests are the oldest, most diverse
    continuously existing ecosystems on the planet. Some forests in
    southeast Asia have been in existence for 100 million years. Now,
    because of human actions, these fabulous, fragile treasures are
    threatened.WWJD
    WWJD
    • CommentAuthormeatball

Personally I think my own inclination to automatically be wary about animal rights types is all the images exactly like that that have been shoved in my face all my life. Whether it be at a protest or after dinner and some PETA commercial comes on. Basically I have to blame PETA. They've really not done a lot of good for the image of animal rights groups, what with shock videos, helping fund Earth First! and such eco-terrorist groups, and then fucking euthanising more animals than kill shelters in some areas, I don't know if that's true country-wide however. I dunno, I remember last year some PETA folks were caught dumping dog corpses in a WalMart dumpster or something like that. It's easy to get pissy. Also when I bike through Coolidge and I see those tards protesting the secondhand fur store I can't help but feel there are more important things to protest. The shock videos that PETA puts on TV definitely makes me want to be more aggressive. I know what the fuck is going on, I know exactly what the fuck is on my plate. I think it's juvenile and petty.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBuckley!

That plate of "some bird" doesn't even look appealing to me, and I eat things like that. Maybe if it were cooked, or didn't look like it were attacked prior to that picture being taken.The kid's gotta learn that the game never lets up.
    for anyone:
    1.) not all vegans/vegetarians are looking to save the world--that's why many of them aren't especially militant about it. i don't eat meat because i don't feel right eating it and contributing to the meat industry, which brings me to...
    2.) the meat industry. it contributes quite a bit to environmental problems, such as: overfishing, overgrazing, clearing forests for grazing lands, etc.
    3.) veganism/vegetarianism is no different from anarchism, environmentalism, etc. i would like to see someone try to find differences beyond the superficial.

probably won't make much difference, but that's what i have to say.

also: peta is an embarrassment.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    "3.) veganism/vegetarianism is no different from anarchism, environmentalism, etc. i would like to see someone try to find differences beyond the superficial."

You don't know jack shit about Anarchy then fucktard. Please explain to me where they talk about food Anarchism(anar-kisim)(from Greek ?? (without) + ?????? (to rule) + ????? (from stem -?????), "without archons," "without rulers")[1] is a political philosophy encompassing theories and attitudes which reject compulsory government[2] (the state) and support its elimination,[3][4] often due to a wider rejection of involuntary or permanent authority.[5] Anarchism is defined by The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Politics as "the view that society can and should be organized without a coercive state."[6]

There are many types and traditions of anarchism,[7][8] not all of which are mutually exclusive.[9] Anarchists hold different views as to the economic and legal organisation of society; some favour collectivist anarchism, anarcho-syndicalism or participatory economics while others support market systems like mutualism, agorism, or anarcho-capitalism.[10] Others, such as anarcho-communists and post left anarchists prefer no solid form of organization. According to The Oxford Companion to Philosophy, "there is no single defining position that all anarchists hold, beyond their rejection of compulsory government, and those considered anarchists at best share a certain family resemblance".[11] Anarchist schools of thought differ fundamentally, supporting anything from extreme individualism to complete collectivism.[6] Some anarchists have opposed coercion, while others have supported it, particularly in the form of violent revolution on the path to anarchy or utopia.[12]
    Contents
    Funny, all you vegans blab about "environmentalism" but here you are on a fucking computer, filled with mercury and shit buzzing with electricty that was created by destroying the fucking environment. So unless you've got some solar panels or a windmill powering your shit, please shut the fuck up about the envioment. You aint helping shit with your veganism, just your sense of righteousness.
    Vegans are an embarrassment. it's uppity horse shit.WWJD
    i'm just saying, do you really expect to change the world? what're your reasons for it? moreover, are your practices flawless? are you able to believe in ______ while still managing to live in this society?You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfox

iv been a vegetarian for 4 years... Aaron Gigantic's devotion to becoming a vegan is reminding me of why i became a vegetarian in the first place. Fist off Upton Sinclair's The Jungle... gross, and secondly prior to knowing about hormone injections, i noticed a boom in artificial sweeteners about 4-5 years ago. After researching i found out that they contained cancer inducers, which lead me to discovering the whole pump animals full of hormones for productivity thing. Idk, not to rant the politics of it all... but personally meat just grosses me out... and i would like to avoid cancer as much as possible (now i just need to stop smoking).
    Being a Vegitarian isn't a big deal, its just an excuse to indulge in stuffing during thanksgiving. But Vegan... way difficult for me; I could never give up cheese. I tried soy cheese or w/e but it smelled funky.

any way, good luck Gigantic... i will most definitely try out some of these recipes and post feed back :P (i really want to try these cupcakes everyone is talking about)
    If it's taken you three attempts to go vegan perhaps your body is trying to tell you something?

" i would like to avoid cancer as much as possible (now i just need to stop smoking)."

Ah, quitting the smoking would reduce your chances of getting cancer a lot faster than sweeteners .I'm amazed someone would talk about reducing their chances of getting cancer and be a smoker. If all you vegans/vegetarians didn't think you were so high and mighty you wouldn't start every sentence with I've been vegan/vegetarian for X amount of years. No one cares how long you've been deficient in proteins and vitamins.WWJD
    they call him Sassy:If it's taken you three attempts to go vegan perhaps your body is trying to tell you something?

nope, not the case. I know how to listen to what my body is saying and that has had nothing to do with it.

carry on.Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
    • CommentAuthorkanst

I love meat but Sassy, attacking vegetarians for their beliefs doesnt really accomplish anything.

I dont get why anyone cares what other people eat. I would never try to sprinkle bacon in a vegetarians food, but I also dont like people trying to convince me to go vegetarian. Why cant people just leave each other to their own decisions.

buckley.:That plate of "some bird" doesn't even look appealing to me, and I eat things like that. Maybe if it were cooked, or didn't look like it were attacked prior to that picture being taken.

I agree completely, I have no clue what that is, now if you fry it and give me some buffalo sauce ill consider it
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown

I'm a vegan anarchist.e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    OK, I won't say anything more here, since I realized it is kinda a dick move to come onto the vegan thread and start dissing it so. But my points are more than valid and if you would like to debate the reasons my argument(s) are more legit then some of these folks here then catch me later. So there, vegans unite, Sassattack has left the room!WWJD