Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthordavid3558
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2009

hi bostonfixed!

my name is david and i'm from los angeles. i'm going to be attending northeastern this coming fall as a freshman and i was wondering if any of you could give me some general/specific pointers regarding living/riding in boston. please, only helpful advice :)

i don't live in downtown LA so i've never rode through intense traffic before (i live in a super hilly suburban area). i've experienced riding through traffic when i ride road though. i've been riding three years and i'm actually hoping to be able to join the northeastern cycling team/club.

in case any of you are wondering, this is what my bike looks like:

http://www.pedalroom.com/bike/fixed-frenzy-kilo-tt-w-deep-v-169

i'm also going to be dorming; i'm planning to bring my road bike and my fixed gear (for use as a commuter). any storage suggestions for the road bike?

thanks so much!
    david
    Hey, i go to NU and am a freshman here..i'm on the bike team here too and have had 4 bikes here at once for a few months, but most of the time just 2...i have my road bike hangin from a rack over my bed (its a rack that's used to hold hoses i got from a hardware store, just drilled it into the wall and nobody minded) and my fixed gear was stood up next to my bed, i don't trust the weather or the people to lock it up outside....everybody here is pretty solid though, the traffic isn't that hard to get used to (im from a farm town) and the cycling team is full of really fun people

http://nucycling.com/board/index.php <--post on the new member forum talk it up

theres a girl lauren on this board, she's one of the moderators, her username ratattack, she could help ya out if ya got any questions about the team or anything in general..i think she might be graduating this year but she's played a big role in running the team for a couple years

-have a kick ass time, make the best of it, and good lucksomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

haha. i don't know that i played that big of a role, but the team is a blast and riding in the city is fun. what dorm are you going to be living in, have you found that out yet? i didn't have a bike when i was a freshmen (lame) and didn't start participating on the team till my junior year (also lame). those are hands-down some the best kids i've met at northeastern. due to co-op, i never really got to do much road racing but i love mountain season and the whole ECCC (eastern collegiate cycling conference, the conference we compete in) is a lot of fun and has really good people that make traveling most weekends for half the semester totally worth it.

you don't have to "hope" to get on the team, there are no tryouts or exclusions. if you want in, join up! like sean said, check out the forum, join in, post in the new member forum so that you have access to post in the rest of the board. meetings are every monday at 8pm throughout the semester, fall is competitive for mtn (although still plenty of training road rides), and hopefully we'll get some northeastern involvement in the cyclocross season in the late fall as well. also, at the end of the summer there is a collegiate track season, if you'd like to race that. last year it was the last two weekends in august/first in september, so maybe you'll be around for this year's. i was the only one who did track/'cross this past year, but a bunch of kids are interested in both for this upcoming year. road racing is competitive in the spring, starting in march and running for 8-9 weeks. there's year-round training, though. and hopefully we'll have year-round lifting, in addition to our regular winter spin sessions.

like sean said, i'm graduating (finished my last undergrad exam yesterday!) but feel free to whisper me if you have any questions or need some groups to ride with when you get to town. when are you coming for orientation?
    • CommentAuthordavid3558

do both of you have AIM or some sort of instant messaging? (whisper please? :D) My orientation is...September haha... -_-. The school said I could just move in early (Aug 31) if I did the September orientation. The weird thing is that particular date isn't even available online. So I'm guessing the dorms are ok with me rolling a bike in? I REALLY don't want to keep my bike outside... (my commuter).

Thanks.
    • CommentAuthorcindierock

david3558:do both of you have AIM or some sort of instant messaging? (whisper please? :D) My orientation is...September haha... -_-. The school said I could just move in early (Aug 31) if I did the September orientation. The weird thing is that particular date isn't even available online. So I'm guessing the dorms are ok with me rolling a bike in? I REALLY don't want to keep my bike outside... (my commuter).

Thanks.

my boyfriend's little sister keeps her bike inside of her northeastern dorm. i don't think there will be a problem, you could always call the housing department and double check.
    yeah, you could just keep it in the trash room if you had to. lock it up, though.

edit: yeah, you can take your bike into the dorms. at least you can in speare; i'm assuming you can for all of 'em.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    they actually dont let you lock it up in speare's lobby anymore, but you can walk it in and lock it at the very top of the stairs (nobody looks there)..youll figure something out when ya get here

-and the whisper thing....

"10) Utilize whispers when relevant, keep private conversations private. A whisper is a private message that appears inline with a discussion. Only you and the recipient of the whisper can see the whisper. It won’t affect the paging or comment counting of discussions. It’s a way for you to say something secretly to another member in the middle of a discussion. You can also create entirely private discussions by entering a whisper recipient when starting a discussion. Then only you and the recipient can see the entire discussion.

Whispers can only be seen by two people: the one whispering and the one being whispered to. You cannot whisper to multiple people at one time.

To Whisper, just type in the screenname of who you wish to talk to above the comment box. It's that easy. If you wish to reply to them, just click the "Whisper Back" button in the comment you are replying to. If you are worried you may miss whispers and want to be notified when you are sent one, click on "Account" in the top menu, then on the left click "Forum Preferences". Scroll down to Notification, and check the box that says "Tell me when someone whispers a comment to me." Your choice will be saved automatically. If you go to the main Discussions Page, you will see a list of Discussion Filters right below the Category filter. Clicking Whispered Discussions will show a list of all your private discussions, and whispered comments will show all comments whispered to and from you."somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    • CommentAuthorsqueaky

Stetson West too! I have no problem fitting my bike in my room.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgregwhits

hope you don't have a forced triple in either stetson building or speare, or do they not do that anymore?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks

The ghetto dorms past the punters will let you take it in.dongpincher 1000
    • CommentAuthordavid3558
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2009 edited

any other suggestions for me in terms of just the city in general? it seems like alot of you here are northeastern students :)

edit: if it makes a difference, i'm not much of a lakers fan (i know, surprising).
    •  
      CommentAuthormuzzy

i go to northeastern and i have a forced triple and i have my bike in here.
    i just keep it on my bed when i'm at my desk, and when i sleep it's down there.

northeastern kinda sucks though. i'm leaving.
    • CommentAuthordavid3558
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2009

=/ why do you say that? [i'm doing business btw]

and as for dorms, i registered super early, so i'm probably gonna get a double! :)
    •  
      CommentAuthormuzzy
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2009 edited

a huge reason is the people.
    i've been lower middle class my whole life, and always have hungout with kids with the same economic standing.
    then i come here and get put in with all these people that just flaunt how much money they/their parents have.
    i hate it.
    northeastern also has the highest number of students of any school in america that would be considered "alcoholics"
    i mean, i drink and shit but fuck that.
    i also just feel like all the staff here that i've met/talked to are assholes and not helpful at all.

and it's way too expensive.

i thought it was what i wanted to do, but next year i'm going to umass amherst, and living at home so i have to pay basically nothing.

and a lot of times i'm out here i just miss western mass alot.
    • CommentAuthorBRlAN Q G

I go to BC, but I'd venture to guess that part of what muzzy is referring to is the "preppy and stuck up" culture that is present at NU, as well as at BC, and especially the business programs at our respective schools. My two cents on the matter is that if you like the program you are in, the people you interact with in class don't necessarily need to be your best friends. Most of my classmates are stereotypical BC bros, but I've accepted that and seek to immerse myself with people and activities I prefer.

Get involved in the various aspects of bike culture in Boston, since you obviously have an inclination towards that stuff already. It will make your time here that much more enjoyable, regardless of whether you absolutely love your school or not.
    • CommentAuthordavid3558

gahh, its gonna remind me of my damn high school then over here in socal...rich, rich, rich kids here. i'm not exactly poor but, compared to them haha.. yeah. i think the bike culture and stuff like what brian said is a good idea. seems like a great way to meet people quick too!
    muzzy is dead on, brian is pretty close:

brian QG:Get involved in the various aspects of bike culture in Boston, since you obviously have an inclination towards that stuff already. It will make your time here that much more enjoyable, regardless of whether you absolutely love your school or not.

don't pigeonhole yourself.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    There's tons of stuff to do in Boston. Find something you like, get involved, be reliable.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorgregwhits

unfortunately the business students at northeastern are by far the stupidest and most frustratingly simple minded creatures you'll ever encounter. i'm absolutely serious. if you're getting a scholarship, or your other choice was BU, stick around and move off campus the second year. also, join the bike team and make friends that way, avoid people in your school at all cost... most of the NU people i knew were student group related, either through the radio station (WRBB, you should check it out) and NU cycling.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMAC

Meetup.com

I've found a couple of cool groups from meetup. Climbing and slacklining groups to be specific. Met some good people that way. Also to throw in my 2 cents: My first year in Boston I wasn't liking it too much. But that was just because I hadn't found the kind of people I wanted to be hanging out with yet. This year I've made some close friends and it's totally changed the Boston experience for me. Also having a bike this year has been a huge plus.

Get out there and see what Boston has to offer.
    • CommentAuthorbrittle

neu has shitty people. but it also has really awesome people who do all kinds of things that they love - travel, nonprofits, working with kids, biking.... as in any community, you'll find your crew and the longer you're at school the more people you'll meet. definitely plan to move off campus and your life will be better.disco visp
    • CommentAuthorG1220

hey david,
    welcome to boston!
    I've got another year left at NU and just joined the bike team/club this year, kinda wish i had gotten into it earlier but i guess it's never too late. Our road season is starting to wind down with MIT's race this weekend, and Easterns down at Penn State next weekend, but there will road rides throughout the year. Jump aboard the track/'cross boat! It's sure to be fun and more people would be awesome. I have to agree with gregtheripper about some of the business students at NU though. I mean, there are intelligent, nice folks who are business students, but the douchebags usually attract more attention to themselves and I haven't really spent enough time among them to find the cool kids. I dunno, you'll figure it all out relatively quickly, i wouldn't worry.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiiike

too much NU hate going on.

i graduated last year... the same stereotypes and idiots exist at every school, just make friends, branch out, and you'll be happy. everyone has bad experiences at points in college, it's the people that can't move on and find other ways of enjoying themselves that blame the school.

muzzy:northeastern also has the highest number of students of any school in america that would be considered "alcoholics" i mean, i drink and shit but fuck that.

really? i would vehemently disagree. have you ever been to suburban schools?sports!
    • CommentAuthorhannaelise

^what everyone above says!

NU kids can be total lame-os but there are also a lot of really fantastic people to meet as well.
    If you end up hating everyones guts..at least there are a billion other students in Boston to be friends with.
    Living in Freshman dorms made me want to murder within a 10 mile radius of me but it also rules because you can be a total asshole to all of them and a lot of the time they don't realize you are making fun of them.

Also, NU Cycling and WRBB FTW!

OH! HI GREGG IZZO! Where the fuck have you been, brother?
    •  
      CommentAuthormuzzy

Miiike:too much NU hate going on.

i graduated last year... the same stereotypes and idiots exist at every school, just make friends, branch out, and you'll be happy. everyone has bad experiences at points in college, it's the people that can't move on and find other ways of enjoying themselves that blame the school.

muzzy:northeastern also has the highest number of students of any school in america that would be considered "alcoholics" i mean, i drink and shit but fuck that.

really? i would vehemently disagree. have you ever been to suburban schools?

yes
    i have been to suburban schools
    i went to this meeting thing here and some lady told me this statistic
    • CommentAuthordavid3558

Wow thanks for all the great tips and such...what exactly is WRBB? A few of you mentioned that...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiiike

NU's radio stationsports!
    hey again, idk what the deal is with all the hate here but i've met some kids here that i love with all my heart...and yea there are rich kids, its an expensive school...and yea business kids can be snobby, theyre in it for the money (im business, but i hate business so i'm leaving to experiment with majors at a CC then hopefully coming back)...i came from a literal prep school in bergen county nj (one of the richest counties in the country) and i am also middle class as opposed to them, and i would disagree with the statement that this place is like that type of high school, BC is, but not here :D ...my overall point is, you pick your friends here, be open up front, narrow it down to the ones you feel are a good fit because there's every type of person here (15000 undergrad for craps sake), you won't regret itsomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    • CommentAuthorboundgear

When zoo-mass am. seems more tame, down to earth, inclusive, and less alcoholic, you've stepped over the magic line into crazy asshat party school.

ps. I'm sure you can get a good education there in some subjects, just like everywhere, but the majority of Norfeastern students are in fact asshats from the outside. Which is the same as BU and BC. Or Tufts. OR 'vard or MIT, or...
    •  
      CommentAuthortravisW

Hey, i am in my 4th year are nu. I love it. I loved freshman year. I loved my freshman dorm! I have a bunch of friends in business, and even though i seem to do much more work than them (i am Computer and Electrical Engineering), employers love NU business students.

muzzy:i went to this meeting thing here and some lady told me this statistic
    umm, this is strange. Stats are fucked up. also, NU keeps track of a lot of the events that happen with the cops. Other schools do not care that much about drinking, and allow it to an extent, while NU is not really for partying.

Don't listen to anyone about the ppl. Boston is for haters. BTW, i think that they are trying to get together a Track team for NU in the fall.boooyah
    •  
      CommentAuthortravisW

we should have a NU (past and present) Boston Fixed dinner. Prob at Hanna's house...boooyah
    • CommentAuthorGrim Ryan
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2009 edited

This is possibly the most friendly thread I've seen on Boston fixed. Its kind of making me uncomfortable.

But yeah you can fit a bike in dorm. I definitely suggest moving off campus as soon as possible. Also try to explore Boston and meet people outside of northeastern. I have lots of friends who even after being here for 4 years still ask me directions to places I thought everyone knew how to get too.Duffman Can't Breathe
    • CommentAuthordavid3558

But I thought the upperclassmen dorms at NU are super nice?
    ya still have to deal with stupid RAs and school laws (no decrimilization lol) and its more expensive to live on campussomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthormuzzy

outcold:ya still have to deal with stupid RAs and school laws (no decrimilization lol) and its more expensive to live on campus

i was so bummed on policies not changing here to reflect the decrim.
    at least i'll be back in western mass in less than 24 hours and get to smoke in peace.
    boundgear:When zoo-mass am. seems more tame, down to earth, inclusive, and less alcoholic, you've stepped over the magic line into crazy asshat party school

ha!Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKitty

muzzy:i go to northeastern and i have a forced triple and i have my bike in here.

Muzzy?! could it be! I haven't seen you in ages!bake em' away, toys
    •  
      CommentAuthormuzzy

Kitty:
    muzzy:i go to northeastern and i have a forced triple and i have my bike in here.

Muzzy?! could it be! I haven't seen you in ages!

yep. it's me!
    haven't seen you since fest.
    i wanted to see you before you left but i just stopped drinking/hanging out in general with anyone for 3 months
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks

muzzy:a huge reason is the people.
    i've been lower middle class my whole life, and always have hungout with kids with the same economic standing.
    then i come here and get put in with all these people that just flaunt how much money they/their parents have.
    i hate it.
    northeastern also has the highest number of students of any school in america that would be considered "alcoholics"
    i also just feel like all the staff here that i've met/talked to are assholes and not helpful at all.

Wow, that sums up alot of the issues I had with the school!

it's great for some people, doesn't fit for others. Good luck new kid!
    muzzy:

Yeah, I went to that alcohol counseling thing. Did the lady give you bar recommendations too?dongpincher 1000
    •  
      CommentAuthormuzzy

Danny Rockx:
    muzzy:a huge reason is the people.
    i hate it.

Wow, that sums up alot of the issues I had with the school!

it's great for some people, doesn't fit for others. Good luck new kid!
    muzzy:

Yeah, I went to that alcohol counseling thing. Did the lady give you bar recommendations too?

haha its funny you knew what "meeting" i was talking about
    i didn't get any bar recommendations
    just a lot of weird looks after telling her alcohol wasn't even in my top 5 things to get fucked up on
    • CommentAuthordavid3558

rofl, i didn't know northeastern had alcoholics...i guess every school does! i noticed the bostonfixed forum isn't as active as lafixed...

but then again, there is way more hate in lafixed haha
    •  
      CommentAuthorKitty
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2009

it seemed a little more active last year.
    What part of l.a. you from?bake em' away, toys
    • CommentAuthordavid3558
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2009

i live on the very edge of LA county, really close to orange county.
    • CommentAuthordavid3558
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2009

ah did you go there for school?
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2009

All new NU kids should let me know when their orientations are so I can kidnap them from the horrors of orientation. Drinks and bike rides rather than ice breaker games and lectures.
    ^listen to this girl.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    • CommentAuthordavid3558
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2009

hey i have another question... like HONESTLY is it a good idea to bring my car over [08 civic]? my parents don't really want me to sell it, and i was wondering if it would be a good choice to bring the car over. also, is riding a scooter/motorcycle as a primary form of transportation reasonable in boston? i know this is a bicycle forum, but any honest suggestions here? :)
    • CommentAuthortristan

No. Parking anywhere here sucks. Driving here sucks because nobody knows where they're going. Riding a bike is fast, efficient, and a great way to learn the city/find interesting new spots. Buy a basket/giant bag for when you need to move big things, and you'll be golden. In my one year being here, the only times I wanted a car were when I wanted to get out of town AND it was crappy out. Leave the car at home, bring a bike, and have one less thing to worry about.

Past that, bringing motorized transportation to college isn't so smart. People will always want a ride.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    •  
      CommentAuthorgregwhits

yeah, i would avoid the car until you at least move off campus, there really is not parking around NU, except on the roxbury side by columbus and tremont. i think parking is like $1200 a year in the campus lot or something crazy. it might be useful later on depending on what co-op you get, some of the bigger ones are out on the 128 or 495 belt. you wont need it if you plan on staying inside the city, if you're looking to get out there are usually good options (ie commuter rail, organized trips for activities like skiing etc..).