Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

I wouldn't recommend a motorcycle for your main means of transportation since its only good for maybe 8 months of the year (unless you were to get a Ural and some warm clothes). Motorcycles in the city are just as invisible to cars as bicycles are, but easily go 40+ mph. I'd assume scooters have similar problems, but if the engines are small enough (<50cc) you're required to ride in the bicycle lane if its an option.Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
    Aaron Gigantic:but if the engines are small enough (<50cc) you're required to ride in the bicycle lane if its an option.

that seems weird to me. are bicycles even required to ride in the bicycle lane? i was always under the impression that they weren't.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    its pretty vaguely worded and I doubt anyone would ever call someone out on it. <50cc is considered a moped/motorized bicycle (if it can't go over 30mph) and is subject to different rules from scooters. motorcycles aren't supposed to split lanes in MA either, but it happens all the time in highway traffic.Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
    • CommentAuthormindchalk
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2009

i was heckling a slowpoke pussy threading lanes on a crotch rocket earlier this week.out of true.
    • CommentAuthordavid3558

hey thanks to all of you for the input! i was really thinking about just selling the car, so i think i'm gonna do that. i'd rather put that cash into the bank or something anyways.

any suggestions on how to lock bikes around here? my bike is really basic, nothing too fancy on it haha. i currently use a kryptonite mini u-lock (but i recently bought a cable to secure the front wheel as well). is a front brake recommended (all hating set aside lol)

Thanks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorrobotosan

a front brake wouldn't be a bad choice, but is not totally necessary.

as for locking up tossing a u-lock through the frame hasn't failed me yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthormur
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2009

i would just hire this guy to stand next to your bike at all times.

~(..,)~ (oYo) make whoopee not war (oYo) ~(..,)~
    • CommentAuthorChromeLugs

Probably the best advice I can give you is to move away, quickly.I prefer 49x16
    • CommentAuthorcindierock

david3558:hey thanks to all of you for the input! i was really thinking about just selling the car, so i think i'm gonna do that. i'd rather put that cash into the bank or something anyways.

any suggestions on how to lock bikes around here? my bike is really basic, nothing too fancy on it haha. i currently use a kryptonite mini u-lock (but i recently bought a cable to secure the front wheel as well). is a front brake recommended (all hating set aside lol)

Thanks!

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/lock-strategy.html explains a way to lock up your bike - i think my boyfriend occasionally uses this method with his mini lock

just make sure to shake whatever you lock it up to since somethings that look like they are sturdy, can easily be lifted out of the ground

I have a non-fancy bike that I just lock with one of the $20 kryptonite U-locks through the frame and front wheel (occasionally just the frame if it is a quick lock up and I have to make shift lock it to something random). I've never had any issues.
    I went to high school in the Copley area, NU for college, etc...lived in the city my whole life. I have skateboarded, biked, subwayed, bused, motorcycled, walked, and autoed around the city for many years. Hands down, a bike is the best choice. Yeah, motorcycles are fucking fun as hell, but they are pain in the ass in the city. I've had two stolen, others vandlized, and they really don't get you anywhere (in the city) much faster than a car.

Living with a car in the city is a NIGHTMARE. Insurance (well, mine at least) is absurd. Parking, esp near NU is even worse. Traffic in Boston is unlike anything in the country. If you have a chance to avoid driving in the city, you should avoid it at all costs. In Boston a bicycle will beat the subway, bus, car, motorcycle, etc to almost any intercity desitanation about 80% of the time. However, you are going to have to deal with something you have never experienced before; winter. That can get dicey, but you just have to learn how to dress for it.

And last, people who are not from the east coast often find people here very socially "cold," "rude," and, well, obnoxious. We are. But, it is mostly a surface type thing. Once you get passed that, there are some good people in the city.

OH! Make SURE you take a philosophy class with Prof. Dugan, esp Existentialism, or The Meaning of Death. It will change your life.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    • CommentAuthordavid3558
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2009

Thanks for the detailed reply! You're right about the dealing with winter thing... I visited Feb, and holy balls was it cold and windy. I was walking around Prudential area when there was this crazy gust of wind, extremely strong... even the people walking were a bit startled. Then I see some guy 'windsurfing' down the road on a skateboard haha using a trashbag as a sail!

Uh as for the philosophy class, how would I sign up for it? I don't understand how college courses work [do I have to major/minor in it?]

Lastly, do any of you have suggestions for student/personal insurance so I can insure some of my valuables (road bike, computer, etc)

Thanks so much bostonfixed :)
    •  
      CommentAuthormuzzy
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2009

the things i have in my room at school are covered by my parents homeowners insurance
    same happened to my roommate, not really sure how/why
    his laptop got stolen and it was definitely covered
    • CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2009 edited

Your valuables should be covered under your parents homeowners insurance, until you start renting your own home (there may be some better-defined cutoff, but I dont know it). At that point, you should buy renter's insurance, which is around $200 a year for more protection than you are likely to need.

Re: class, I dont know how classes work @ that school, but typically there are prerequisites for interesting courses. If you have the prereqs for a course, you can take it, or if you dont you *might* be able to convince the prof to let you in anyways. The thing with major/minor is you should be working towards them for most of your school career, so if philosphy doesnt cover one of the requirements for your major/minor you might be wasting credits (and should maybe change your major/minor).

however, advice on classes is what advisors are for, not bike forums. So dont listen to me, I was not the shining example of a college career.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    david3558:Thanks for the detailed reply! You're right about the dealing with winter thing... I visited Feb, and holy balls was it cold and windy. I was walking around Prudential area when there was this crazy gust of wind, extremely strong... even the people walking were a bit startled. Then I see some guy 'windsurfing' down the road on a skateboard haha using a trashbag as a sail!

Uh as for the philosophy class, how would I sign up for it? I don't understand how college courses work [do I have to major/minor in it?]

Lastly, do any of you have suggestions for student/personal insurance so I can insure some of my valuables (road bike, computer, etc)

Yeah, I think Boston is like second windy-est city in the US (Chicgao, the "windy city" is like 22nd. That name is in ref to politics, not weather). Yeah, you'll be meeting with some "course couseler" at NU at some point. College is bascially a mix of courses you have to take, and some you just get to pick-out on your own. Just keep the name "Dugan" in mind when you are picking out courses. As for insuruance, I dunno anything about that.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

the windsurfer dude actually has his own website. he blogs about surfing and the current wind conditions. yep...

and as far as taking classes goes, you'll probably have to have taken intro to philosophy to take either of the ones sedition recommended. the business school seems to have a fairly established course schedule, especially freshmen year. after a certain point, sophomore maybe? i know you guys specify the type (marketing, finance, accounting, etc) but you do have core requirements and electives. most of my core requirements were covered by stuff i did in high school, but i had the worst class ever for my diversity requirement. it was race & ethnic relations, it could have been fine, had the worst teacher ever. c. ditmar coffield (the name still haunts me). i came to find out that we have japanese pop culture and other classes that meet that requirement. my point being, you register for your own classes. take some time, scope out professors online and if a class you want isn't offered that semester, don't settle. try to take something else in it's place, and wait. i have some classes i loved, and others i completely regret ever having taken. considering how much you're paying to go to class, it's not worth wasting money if you can help it. college is a learning experience, more so socially and handling shit on your own than actual career learning at times. your schedule is going to heavily affect your life for the next four months, so it's something you should really spend the time on.

and as far as northeastern business students go...yeah. i mean, it's a major for kids who usually set out going, "i'd like to be in a successful job market", or something along those lines. so you end up with some entitled people, or people who tend to have shallower interests. not all, but quite a few. i was a biology major, i found out that a lot of those kids set out thinking they can cure something or will be a big-deal researcher/doctor. there seem to be a lot of arrogant people in that major, and i hated being surrounded by self-righteous know-it-alls. art school kids are stereotyped as being pretentious, contrived, whatever. point is, no matter what major you pick or where you go you're going to be around people. and people are difficult to deal with, and it's no fun to be around a group of people that you don't feel you fit in with. so go out and do the things you like to do, and you'll likely find people who do the same sorts of things, and who you enjoy being around. whether you find them at northeastern or on here or somewhere else entirely. i hang out with almost no northeastern kids, but my roommate goes to NU as well and she's my favorite person in boston. so i suppose there is some hope for the NU student body... :)
    • CommentAuthorhannaelise

^+1 to Margaret being awesome.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks

iExistentialism has no pre-reqs. It is a mind-fuck of a class though.dongpincher 1000
    Danny Rockx:iExistentialism has no pre-reqs. It is a mind-fuck of a class though.

Fitting. I can totally see Dugan saying, "Well, life does not come with any pre-reqs, so neither does my class. It's just a big mess that you get thrown into."All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    I though we were the windiest? I think there is some place down in PO sq. that has the highest wind ever recorded in a city or something stupid like that

chr|s sedition:
    david3558:Thanks for the detailed reply! You're right about the dealing with winter thing... I visited Feb, and holy balls was it cold and windy. I was walking around Prudential area when there was this crazy gust of wind, extremely strong... even the people walking were a bit startled. Then I see some guy 'windsurfing' down the road on a skateboard haha using a trashbag as a sail!

Yeah, I think Boston is like second windy-est city in the US (Chicgao, the "windy city" is like 22nd. That name is in ref to politics, not weather). Yeah, you'll be meeting with some "course couseler" at NU at some point. College is bascially a mix of courses you have to take, and some you just get to pick-out on your own. Just keep the name "Dugan" in mind when you are picking out courses. As for insuruance, I dunno anything about that.
    Take-off everything but your rainboots
    http://www.cattlenetwork.com/Risk_Management_Content.asp?ContentID=247518

wtf, Blue hills is not a cityTake-off everything but your rainboots
    •  
      CommentAuthorcdrebbel

• CommentAuthordavid3558

Haha wow thanks so much to all of you, once again. I'm really not used to people actually giving helpful answers for once, LA Fixed has always been filled with haters and trolls -_-.
    fuck you.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    if you don't ride with brakes I'm gonna go cizano on your ass...Take-off everything but your rainboots
    • CommentAuthorowen

yo chr|s sedition, I'm a philosophy major at UMASS Boston, and Dugan teaches a few classes there occasionally. I took Morals & Medicine with him last semester. Best class ever, Dugan is the man. It was one of those long ass 2.5 hour classes at the end of the day, and people would stay an extra 15 min just to hear him finish a story because he's that good.
    bostowen:yo chr|s sedition, I'm a philosophy major at UMASS Boston, and Dugan teaches a few classes there occasionally. I took Morals & Medicine with him last semester. Best class ever, Dugan is the man. It was one of those long ass 2.5 hour classes at the end of the day, and people would stay an extra 15 min just to hear him finish a story because he's that good.

Original Poster: Take note of the this post. You REALLY need to take a class w/Dugan.

Oh, have you taken logic (or anything) with Lande? Dude is a TRIP (I was also a phil major).All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    • CommentAuthorowen

Lande is hilarious. I'm taking two classes with him now, Social and Political Thinkers, and Kant's Moral Theory. The Kant one is fairly advanced, the other one, not so much. I think I"m taking Logic with him next year. He's a good guy.
    Logic with Lande was among the best courses I've ever taken. He is a trip in other classes, but in Logic...wow, does his freak-side come out! Flesche is pretty interesting, too.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    • CommentAuthordavid3558
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2009

NEW BIKE DAY :)

http://pedalroom.com/p/425_1.jpg

traded my old frame (kilo tt) + 250 for the stripped frame, PRO PLT seatpost, headset, cannondale time trial fork!
    nice to hear about phl @ NU; i just finished this May.

i took metaphysics w/lande. we did descartes, spinoza, and leibniz, then finished w/the correspondence--interesting stuff.

i enjoyed sandler's classes alot too.
    • CommentAuthordavid3558
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2009

Hey all...I just got that new frame that some of you might've seen in the above post. The aero seattube makes it alot harder for me to lock it up, anyone own "aero" bikes and have any ideas what to do? I usually lock up with a cable to secure the front wheel too...
    ^Depending, you might want to get a lock with a longer shackle. I know the Evo LS is the same width as the mini, but the standard shackle size (as opposed to the smaller shackle size of the mini).clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2009

i saw this somewhere: "they oughtta make college harder so ya can't do it drunk." easiest four (five hahaha) years of my life.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop

estratton:^Depending, you might want to get a lock with a longer shackle. .

pre-emptive "that's what she said" goes here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrobotosan

david3558:Hey all...I just got that new frame that some of you might've seen in the above post. The aero seattube makes it alot harder for me to lock it up, anyone own "aero" bikes and have any ideas what to do? I usually lock up with a cable to secure the front wheel too...

just sheldon it... toss the ulock on the rear rim. The rear triangle keeps your bike safe
    •  
      CommentAuthor49teeth

david3558:NEW BIKE DAY :)

traded my old frame (kilo tt) + 250 for the stripped frame, PRO PLT seatpost, headset, cannondale time trial fork!

sick! what kind of frame is it? fuji track pro?
    • CommentAuthorBRlAN Q G

robotosan:
    david3558:Hey all...I just got that new frame that some of you might've seen in the above post. The aero seattube makes it alot harder for me to lock it up, anyone own "aero" bikes and have any ideas what to do? I usually lock up with a cable to secure the front wheel too...

just sheldon it... toss the ulock on the rear rim. The rear triangle keeps your bike safe

+1
    • CommentAuthordavid3558

ericburgurz:
    david3558:NEW BIKE DAY :)

sick! what kind of frame is it? fuji track pro?

Yup, its an '06. Got it secondhand off a friend :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBach~ez
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2009

hello all just need some advice im currently planning on moving to Boston this summer and im looking for a neighborhood that would be an easy commute to cambridge ??? any suggestion ? im looking through craigslists but i seriously have no idea what kind of neighborhoods some of these apts are in ! wouldnt mind living outside of the city either.. since i found some places in Lawrence and upton that are nicemrotown: U lock them by the neck to a street sign!
    •  
      CommentAuthordeadbolt
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2009 edited

why not just move to Cambridge? rent really isn't that extraordinary and a lot of us live there. it's really sweet
    also- check out Somerville (Davis Sq and Porter Sq specifically), Watertown and Allston/Brighton.
    lots of students live in those towns and the rent is more affordable than any other part of the Greater Boston Area on the Cambridge side of the Charles.
    (although Allston/Brighton are actually just villages of Boston and on the Boston side of the Charles River)Mattia: "I don''t usually watch porn with pickaxe, but when I do it, I make sure to be on the right website"
    •  
      CommentAuthoreggman
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2009 edited

Yeah I would look in either North Cambridge, Cambridgeport, Area 4, East Cambridge, or anywhere in Somerville essentially. Watertown is also cheap and a relatively easy commute.

Oh, and while Allston/Brighton is cheap and cool at first, you will get tired of it dumb quickly.Ella: Not that I would EVER even THINK of taking the T (mainly because my penis is too large to fit in it)
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2009

Aaron Gigantic:I wouldn't recommend a motorcycle for your main means of transportation since its only good for maybe 8 months of the year (unless you were to get a Ural and some warm clothes). Motorcycles in the city are just as invisible to cars as bicycles are, but easily go 40+ mph. I'd assume scooters have similar problems, but if the engines are small enough (<50cc) you're required to ride in the bicycle lane if its an option.

Bikes are not required to ride in the bike lane, and these tiny motorized bikes (<50 cc or something like that) are ALLOWED to ride in the bike lane, but not required.this wont hurt a bit...
    • CommentAuthordavid3558
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2009

Ok, an update! I've finally gotten my first-year room assignments at Northeastern... Stetson East for me (anyone have experience with it?). Anyways, was wondering what my options were for storing up to 2 bicycles (road bike and my commute FG)... the room is a standard double. According to NU rules, I can't raise the damn bed; was planning to do some sort of loft type of thing. So are there any options for me to store them in my room?

Also, anyone want to add onto my original questions? :)

Thanks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

^two hooks in the ceiling above the bed, hang them off them...when you are banging your significant other they can look up and see a sweet bicycle chandelier....guaranteed to get you laid.this wont hurt a bit...
    • CommentAuthorgrev

david3558:According to NU rules, I can't raise the damn bed; was planning to do some sort of loft type of thing.

you are definitely allowed to use bed risers in the dorms. one bike under the bed, the other next to it. it will fit fine.not another pitcher!
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile mick
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2009 edited

youd have to take the wheel off to get it under the bed with only risers cuz your handlebars wont fit....buttt i had two in there also, i had a padded garden hose rack drilled into the wall hanging over my bed (make sure you use anchors because the studs are metal) and i stood the other bike up at the end of my bed with the pedal holding onto the frame (get the frame with the tall posts) while it leaned back (it was pinned from the left by the bed frame and the right by the thing with the fan on it)

bike #1

i dnt have a pic for how bike #2 is set up..but it was on its back wheel with the left pedal around the bed frame and the brown topped thing with the fan on it pressed up against the right of itsomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    • CommentAuthordavid3558
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2009

grev:
    david3558:According to NU rules, I can't raise the damn bed; was planning to do some sort of loft type of thing.

you are definitely allowed to use bed risers in the dorms. one bike under the bed, the other next to it. it will fit fine.

Ok nice because the stupid website said I couldn't... Should be able to shove my road bike underneath then when I'm not using it.
    • CommentAuthordavid3558

outcold:youd have to take the wheel off to get it under the bed with only risers cuz your handlebars wont fit....buttt i had two in there also, i had a padded garden hose rack drilled into the wall hanging over my bed (make sure you use anchors because the studs are metal) and i stood the other bike up at the end of my bed with the pedal holding onto the frame (get the frame with the tall posts) while it leaned back (it was pinned from the left by the bed frame and the right by the thing with the fan on it)

bike #1

i dnt have a pic for how bike #2 is set up..but it was on its back wheel with the left pedal around the bed frame and the brown topped thing with the fan on it pressed up against the right of it

Ok thanks for the pic, so I'm guessing we are allowed to drill stuff into the wall?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks

you're allowed to do anything you dont get caught for.
    don't, for example, shout out the window that your roomate is selling weed when there are cops around the corner.dongpincher 1000
    ^hahaha best crime log story ever!