Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorbird
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2009

i wanted to know what routes around 50-100 miles people have done in the area and enjoyed. Looking to train/enjoy a couple longish rides now that the weather is nice to get ready for a long bike venture with fist cross country.
    looking for personal favs, scenic routes or trips to interesting towns --- i have a car with rack --- so any NH, VT or RI states open too
    • CommentAuthorT_M

Going out 16 beyond Wellesley (Dover, Sherborn, etc) is pretty pleasant... not challenging unto itself but it is pretty. People seem to like the Harvard and Ayer area if you haven't been there yet. Cape Ann can be a fairly pleasant ride.
    • CommentAuthormeetball

frickin' bike to noo yak
    The Kanc loop in NH is great. 80 miles in the White Mountains. Two major climbs with a couple minor ones as well. It'll give you some good practice crossing mountain ranges. Park in Lincoln, ride up the Kancamaugus Highway, turn left through Bear Notch, turn left again and head over Crawford Notch, finish it by taking the bike path through Franconia Notch and down back into Lincoln. I don't have time to map it right now, but maybe somebody else does. If not, I'll do it later. Let me know when you're going, because it's definitely my favorite ride. Difficult, scenic, a little painful, but totally worth it.Word nerd
    • CommentAuthorspokenword
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2009 edited

Cambridge to Rockport and back about 100 miles. easy terrain, not too many hills. great scenery along Cape Ann and the Mystic.

Metrowest Century from Cambridge to eastern edge of Worcester via Wachusett Reservoir and back via Sutton and Hopkinton -- more climbing. This is my standard long distance training route. In the fall, some friends of mine and I adapt the Cambridge / Concord/ Acton / Bolton section of this route to ride out to apple orchards in Bolton and Harvard, pick apples, stuff them into our bike bags and ride home. That round trip is ~ 50/60 miles.

Generally speaking, the easy pickings are southewet along Rt. 16 to Wellesley/Natick or west along 2A to Concord. From there you've got a ton of options for places to ride to. From Wellesley, you could head further west to Ashland, Hopkinton and the Blackstone River Valley or south to Sherborn and Holliston and make for the CT border. From Concord, you could go north to Andover, northwest to Groton or further west to Fitchburg.

Heading south or north through Quincy or Woburn invovles a little more traffic and stop-and-go, so not a lot of people deal with it, but riding out to Cape Cod or Cape Ann makes up for it if you're willing to deal with the initial hassle.

The further west you go, the hillier it gets and the fewer buildings you'll see.

There are a lot of nice farms around Berlin, Natick, Framingham and Carlisle. It's sometimes fun to do some 'extreme grocery runs' and just throw panniers on your bike, ride 30 miles to a farmstand, load up on freshly harvested veggies and then ride home. Look up farms on sites like Boston Locavores and plot out how to get there with Rubel and Google.
    •  
      CommentAuthortinhat

good thread

any advice on boston to cape cod? i hear there's no one rubel map that covers it, you have to buy two, and they aren't the best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

there are lots of published boston to cape cod routes on the net, I was thinking about doing it a bit backwards and take the boat over to p-town and then ride back to boston this summerthis wont hurt a bit...
    • CommentAuthorbird
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2009

thanks for the suggestions --- here are maps for a route from boston to the cape http://massbike.org/bikeways/ccbw/
    •  
      CommentAuthorZomar

I definitely want to ride to Provincetown this Summer!

I've done the Saltonstall between the Bourne and Sagamore bridges to Provincetown and it's definitely a pretty sweet ride and pretty decently marked all along the way.
    •  
      CommentAuthortinhat

bird:thanks for the suggestions --- here are maps for a route from boston to the cape http://massbike.org/bikeways/ccbw/
    cool thank you

stilgar, i'd thought about doing that too but forgot, thanks for the reminder
    •  
      CommentAuthortravisW
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2009

Zomar:I definitely want to ride to Provincetown this Summer!
    BEAR WEEKENDboooyah
    •  
      CommentAuthorsqueed
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2009

Definitely check out the rides posted at the charles river wheelmen - http://www.crw.org/CueSheets/index.htm. They have perfect cue sheets and manage to find routes that go where you want to with basically no traffic. Seriously, they have an uncanny ability to find quiet roads you never knew existed.

I'm really partial to http://www.crw.org/cgi-bin/cues2htm.pl?id=2 but I've only done it on a geared road bike - no clue how it would be on a fixie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2009

Rob Gigantic:The Kanc loop in NH is great. 80 miles in the White Mountains. Two major climbs with a couple minor ones as well. It'll give you some good practice crossing mountain ranges. Park in Lincoln, ride up the Kancamaugus Highway, turn left through Bear Notch, turn left again and head over Crawford Notch, finish it by taking the bike path through Franconia Notch and down back into Lincoln. I don't have time to map it right now, but maybe somebody else does. If not, I'll do it later. Let me know when you're going, because it's definitely my favorite ride. Difficult, scenic, a little painful, but totally worth it.

rob speaks da troof. greatest ride ever.
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2009

hey ...

truth to tell, I'm not the biggest fan of the Medford/Melrose section. I only put it in because I like riding loops that minimize hittng the same territory coming back and going out. Also, in my mind, the Melrose/Medford leg is actually the last bit. I start out going up through the Mystic Valley Parkway and only come back via Melrose. If you don't mind a bit of reptition, I'd actually suggest doing the Somerville/Mystic Valley Pkwy/Winchester section both for your start and your return. Cut over between both sections via Salem St in Wakefield.

does that make sense?
    • CommentAuthorboundgear
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2009

I have a million billion rides starting from the Northampton. If you still are looking for 50-100 mile routes let me know.
    www.bikely.comI haven't gotten to that part of the poop yet
    • CommentAuthorkimekime
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2009

Wowgreen cleaners <a href="http://www.vponsale.com">wedding dresses</a> are awesome. I have been using the complete line <a href="http://www.vponsale.com/invitations/">wedding invitations</a> of wowgreen products <a href="http://www.vponsale.com/bridesmaid-dresses/">bridesmaid dresses</a> now for three months.<a href="http://www.rs2guru.com">wedding invitations</a> All twelve of the products<a href="http://www.vponsale.com/wedding-dresses/">wedding dresses</a> have replaced <a href="http://www.rpgshow.com/lace-wigs-c-9.html">lace wigs</a> all the chemical <a href="http://www.vponsale.com/invitation/">wedding invitations</a> cleaning products in my home. Now my home <a href="http://www.vponsale.com/bridesmaid/">bridesmaid dresses</a> is 100% green and free <a href="http://www.rpgshow.com/lace-front-wigs-c-12.html">lace front wigs</a> of all chemicals.
    • CommentAuthorstephen
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2009

i'm glad this thread was spammed.

hey anyone else just coming out of cross season or any other suckers: after this recovery week, anyone wanna start working on some scenic base miles with beer at the end?
    •  
      CommentAuthorGilbert
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2009

stilgar:there are lots of published boston to cape cod routes on the net, I was thinking about doing it a bit backwards and take the boat over to p-town and then ride back to boston this summer

Done and done! Pit-stop at Edward Gorey's house?!"You're dancing TOO SMALL; dominant males dance like THIS!" -(drunk) Nate, to me on the art of seduction and the role of dancing therein (while on a dancefloor)
    ^that does sound funi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorGilbert
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2009

^ it's a museum too. a-m-a-z-i-n-g"You're dancing TOO SMALL; dominant males dance like THIS!" -(drunk) Nate, to me on the art of seduction and the role of dancing therein (while on a dancefloor)
    •  
      CommentAuthor!link
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2009

Gilbert:
    stilgar:there are lots of published boston to cape cod routes on the net, I was thinking about doing it a bit backwards and take the boat over to p-town and then ride back to boston this summer

Done and done! Pit-stop at Edward Gorey's house?!

yes, please?anemones? I thought you said 'an enemies'.
    •  
      CommentAuthordora
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2014

BUMP A DUMP

work will (fucking hopefully) start slowing down soon and my boo is leaving for 6 weeks <3 so i'm going to have time to train for tour starting next week
    actually, i forgot if i told you guys; studyourheart and our friend sarah are doing a cross country tour and i'm joining them from SF to PDX - we leave on the 30th! :O

hills are tough for me and i'm looking to do some training rides so i bust that shit out on the west coast
    i am not the best with directions, so i'm looking for rides with printable directions. suggestions? i am trying to get the directions for the ferris wheels ladies' ride cuz that is supposed to be a good route
    looking to start with ~30 mile hilly rides ( know this thread is 50 to 1-hundo; whatever) and working up from there.

halp!
    also if anyone is in similar shape to myself and would like to join me, please do! i'd be starting these rides at approx either 6am or 6pm on weekdays, and whenever on the weekendsMust be awful, being so fluffy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2014 edited

^ashley aka smashely aka trashely aka trashman is leading the ferris wheels ride this week. j-bone might even be there!

excited to hear about this tour! why are all you b-holes going to the west coast? also, to actually be helpful...i think that bnb 25 miler is short and has a solid amount of climbing for around here. plus, it's probably my favorite route that i've done around here. add in some arboretum if you need more climbing!
    • CommentAuthorben

This is my go-to short-on-time route. It has two hard hitting climbs, and another decent one, as well as a flat 'sprint' section along Mystic lake. Basically it's a really good compromise of short distance, leg-burning hills, and straightaways. It looks complicated but actually has very few turns and is really easy to remember once you've done it 2-3 times. It would probably be 35mi or so from your house.

If you're not great with directions and want hills, you could also consider doing repeats of some lengthier hills (I mean vs things like Summit Ave).

This is a good nearby loop with a 1.1mi hill that you can do a few laps on. From your house it would be 30 miles (maybe a bit more) with a few times up the hill. Route 3 is busy at times, but the rest is quiet.

If you can't see either of these let me know and I can try to upload to another site.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

I used to just ride Rt 16 as far as I could and turn around. If you go far enough, you hit CT. I prefer rides that feel like you've done something rather than training loops or hill repeats. It's also better training for a tour, since you'll be riding the same road for hours.

Anyhoo, I'd be down for a long ride. Somebody wanna bike down to Providence and take the commuter rail back? Or whatever. I also have a car with a roof rack. If anybody's interested in an expedition, we can drive north to the Whites, or west to the Berkshires.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthordora

thanks, davis. i already talked to the trashman and she is going to email me the directions for the FW lay-deez ride. i'm not going to be around this weekend cuz i'm driving two jerks to the middle of the woods and leaving them for dead. do you know the route for the BNB ride?

thanks ben that is helpful! i was trying to think of some in-town hills to do repeats on, but the best ones i could think of were really shitty streets to ride on (beacon st along the common, S. Huntington), so this is awesome and it's nice to get out of the city a little bit. I can see the maps but there is no turn-by-turn. If i create an account or something will i be able to see that? i can also not be lazy and just write that shit down myself. also this is a dumb question - which direction do you usually go in? does it matter? thanks again!Must be awful, being so fluffy.
    •  
      CommentAuthordora

nerdo:I used to just ride Rt 16 as far as I could and turn around. If you go far enough, you hit CT. I prefer rides that feel like you've done something rather than training loops or hill repeats. It's also better training for a tour, since you'll be riding the same road for hours.

Anyhoo, I'd be down for a long ride. Somebody wanna bike down to Providence and take the commuter rail back? Or whatever. I also have a car with a roof rack. If anybody's interested in an expedition, we can drive north to the Whites, or west to the Berkshires.

when i lived in somerville i'd take the rt 16 exit off of 93 - is that sketchy to ride on? maybe it's a different portion or something..
    i'm cool with loops and repeats, especially for weekday rides, but your suggestions for longer rides sound great! would be downMust be awful, being so fluffy.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Sorry I should've clarified: Rt 16 south and west, through Wellesley etc. I've ridden 16 north and it does get a little clusteryfuckery. You'll get some good hills going west, though, and it's easy enough to get to from lower Allston.

For weeknight rides, stay close to town so you're not fighting sundown. Summit Ave is intimidating. There are also some good hills in Rozzy (the one I live on is nearly a mile long, starting from Hyde Park Ave). Blue Hills is also a quick(ish) ride from town. You can do a loop down and back in a couple hours. Our office is moving to Fort Point after next week, so I'd possibly be able to do a quick after work spin with you, if you want.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    • CommentAuthorryan t

NEBC does a hills ride every Wednesday, and I just went this week. It's a 20 mile ride plus whatever it takes to get to Burlington and back, so it ends up being around 40 total. We did 6 or 7 pretty good hills and you can go at your own pace on the climbs. Bring lights because it was starting to get dark on the way back.
    •  
      CommentAuthordora

a ha! ok, that makes sense. the section off 93 is borderline revere/everett and it is definitely sketchy for bikes

i usually mtb the blue hills but i see tons of roadies out there and would def be into checking out that route

i'd totally be down to do an after work ride from seaport, that would be perfect!Must be awful, being so fluffy.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Sweet! Let's do it. And anybody else who works around there is welcome to tag along!

I love the idea of the Wed night hill climb ride in Burlington but weeknights are tough. If it's not a loop that I can naturally add onto my personal commute, I can't really do it.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

@dorace: https://bikesnotbombs.org/files/for-content/bike-a-thon/2012/rides/25MileMapAndCueSheet.pdf

i haven't ridden it this year. but there were spray-painted marks on the skreet last year. i hope they're not salted away.
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

ITT Davis is helpful"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    for a hill, eastern ave in arlington. somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

I know the markers are still there in the Stonybrook reservation area. Be mindful when you're bombing down that path. It's fun but SOME PEOPLE (me) like to walk their corgis off leash in them woods.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    this is my usual short hills route. Only 15 miles from Watertown, but you can extend it further by going out to Spring Street near I-95.

Personally, for touring, it's not so much about long one day rides but about getting used to doing back-to-back long days w/ weight. More of a mental thing than anything else. You get stronger physically as you do it, and you can tour with a lot less fitness than you might think. It's more about wanting to get it done.

Good luck, though! Have a blast!
    •  
      CommentAuthordora

we could find an in- or near-town loop or hills or something to do for the weekdays. we'll make it work!

davis, you should come with us you work near seaport brah. and thanks for that BNB link that shit is perfect!

6kidz:ITT Davis is helpful

haha! :D

thanks, sean that is good to know. and that's right near the minuteman so that is perfectoMust be awful, being so fluffy.
    •  
      CommentAuthordora

oh shit, speaking of BNB - i was talking to Mearns and he said they need sweepers to do the BNB a-thon this year. He said you'll ride after all of the folks and help fix flat tires. It's june 2nd I think. If you're interested get in touch with someone from BNB, or let me know and I can hook you guys upMust be awful, being so fluffy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorginny

Dora I'd be down for going for long rides! Or at least meeting up and seeing if it's something that might work out, if we're interested in going about the same pace etc. I'm hopefully going on short tour this summer.
    • CommentAuthorben

dora:thanks ben that is helpful! i was trying to think of some in-town hills to do repeats on, but the best ones i could think of were really shitty streets to ride on (beacon st along the common, S. Huntington), so this is awesome and it's nice to get out of the city a little bit. I can see the maps but there is no turn-by-turn. If i create an account or something will i be able to see that? i can also not be lazy and just write that shit down myself. also this is a dumb question - which direction do you usually go in? does it matter? thanks again!
    I went ahead and mapped them out on mapmyride instead.

Here's the first Mystic Valley Parkway ride. On the left of the map should be a directions/notes dropdown that you can expand (if it isn't already) to show the directions. There's a lot more there than needs to be if you were just taking notes so you could ride the course. If you hover down the directions the marker will move along the map to show you the direction of travel.

And here's the second. I mapped the hill circuit twice so it was obvious what the repeated segment is.

Both were mapped leaving from HSq since I assume that's closer to your intended route of travel than where I normally leave from.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthordora
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2014

ginny i'd totally be down to at least chat about it, for totes! :) that's awesome, where are you going on tour?

ben thank you! that is super helpful! i totally owe you a FoMu or something. I'm going to go hit the hill circuit right now :)Must be awful, being so fluffy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorginny
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2014 edited

Probably up to NH. My friend and I haven't planned out where exactly we want to go though.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2014

Anybody down for a weekend jaunt up the Kanc, let me know. I do not mind going slow, though the full loop is ~75 miles, so you should be able to handle that much.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    ^id be into thatsomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthoreburgers
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2014

^^definitely would love this1) Stop watching the donkey porn.
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2014

dora: I'm going to go hit the hill circuit right now :)
    How'd it go?I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthordora
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2014

well, haha..uh...i forgot my handlebar bag at home that has a clear top so you can stuff a cue sheet in there. so i stuffed the cue sheet in my shirt buttttt somewhere between seaport and that intersection near the Arlington entrance of the Minuteman it fell out. and i was all, oh i totally remember the turns! but i have no sense of direction so i just got super lost and then rode out to concord and back
    BUT
    ROUND 2 will be much better

however, i didn't know there was a really nice bike path along alewife brk pkwy, so i learned something! and i learned an alternate way to the minuteman that cuts off the most people-populated part so that was also sweet!Must be awful, being so fluffy.
    •  
      CommentAuthordora
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2014

so i did the ferris wheels women's ride route over the weekend. it was great. 20 mile loop out from Cutler, through like needham/dedham/westford and stuff. it was a really nice 40 miles. i only got kind of lost once, and it was because i copied down the directions wrong :D
    A+ would recommendMust be awful, being so fluffy.