Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

anybodyyyy here make head badges?somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    • CommentAuthorDana
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2009

^i've made my own headbadge/decal set. what look are you going for?Recluse Designs (constantly under construction)
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile mick
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2009 edited

i was thinkin a claddagh symbol (with the band tapering to halfway around the top tube)

though being that the claddagh would probably be really complicated i was thinkin of just a shamrock (a bit more angled than this one)
    somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    • CommentAuthorDana
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2009

whispered^Recluse Designs (constantly under construction)
    how have i never read this thread?

i have a lot of skills. some of them financially marketable. some of them just fucking awesome. let's stick with awesome tonight.

i can:
    throw one motherfucker of a house party
    organize rides 'n races that don't involve a ton of dick measuring
    teach you clever euphemisms and turns of phrase for damned near anything
    offer you a couch to stay on when you're in NYC
    convince you to get bad tattoos
    charm your friends, coworkers and parents
    book shows with bands you like
    get you pregnant
    and draw stuff.flip mode. flip mode is the greatest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2009

I can sorta make headbadges...what do you need?this wont hurt a bit...
    dana has got me set, thanks for the offer thoughsomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    got you set with the claddagh? that would rule. heart up or down?You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    he's gonna try to simplify this picture, i'm reallly excited about it, a custom design that sweet for $40, ya can't beat it

http://www.flickr.com/photos/depowsepow/2996857417/sizes/l/ <--- thats an example of one of his piecessomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    • CommentAuthorDana
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2009

simplified being the key word.Recluse Designs (constantly under construction)
    haha yeaa i made sure to include thatsomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    hey, skilled kids! any of you do linoleum cuts 'n block prints?

i've been teaching myself how to do my own block prints, and i've gotten as far as carving this block how i like it, but i need an ink roller and i need paper to print on.

anybody have recommendations for either? i figure a speedball roller will be fine, but what do you typically use for paper? i'd like something kinda heavy. i've never done this before and i'm kinda just wingin' it, but i'd love to hear any tips or suggestions you all might have.

thanks!flip mode. flip mode is the greatest.
    anyone know anything about wireing? aka electrical wiring in a house?Take-off everything but your rainboots
    • CommentAuthorDana
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2009 edited

.Recluse Designs (constantly under construction)
    • CommentAuthorgemathy
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2009

^^ a speedball roller is fine. roll out the ink a lot before you roll over the block. and don't roll back and forth or you'll pick up the ink. just roll in one direction. if you're printing by hand it's easier to use a lighter weight paper or hot press paper.
    awesome. i'll post pictures when start printing.flip mode. flip mode is the greatest.
    • CommentAuthorgemathy

can't wait to see it!
    • CommentAuthorDana
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2009 edited

^^^^^ what size is the linocut? i have a small 4" brayer and hand press thingy ( i forget the proper term for it) you can borrow with some extra 11x14ish paper, i think its canson..its creme. you want to only use as much ink as you need to. you want to roll it out until it becomes tacky ( you'll know when you hear it). too much ink and the brayer wont roll, it'll slide. you want to roll up and down picking it up each time and then go left to right, that way its even up and down, left and right. you want to roll it onto the linoluem the same way,evenly. when you print it just use firm pressure, if there's too much ink then you'll see a thick outline in the releif cuts you made, too little ink and its just bare looking. i think ive heard it's also good to degrease the plate and brayers when you get them that way the ink wont be repelled anywhere. if you need the brayer, press thingy and some paper whisper meRecluse Designs (constantly under construction)
    secondly, anyone out there able to take an item of clothing and reproduce it? I'm looking to copy the wool knickers I have.Take-off everything but your rainboots
    hell yeah dana! i really really appreciate the advice. just to make sure i unnerstand you properly, the point of getting all the ink even on the plate is so its even on the roller, right? i'm not pressing the lino block onto the plate, i'm rolling the brayer onto the block, yes? and then its just a question of laying the paper on the block and hand pressing it, right? i guess if the ink is tacky, i don't have to worry about the paper sliding around too much. the block is only about 4x3".

i can't pick up your brayer (i'm not in boston any more), but my drummer is super good at this stuff and i can just borrow his. thanks for offering though!

i'm pretty sure i'm not gonna be home for any reasonable amount of time between now 'n saturday afternoon, but i'll post photos soon.flip mode. flip mode is the greatest.
    ^Put the block on the paper. Much easier.Word nerd
    y'know what Rob?

you put the block on the paper!

also, are you gonna around during the NACCCs? i think i'm comin' to town and i feel like i owe you a beer for some reason i can't remember.flip mode. flip mode is the greatest.
    I can't remember either, but I'll take the beer!Word nerd
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

Mayor Bonesington:hey, skilled kids! any of you do linoleum cuts 'n block prints?

i've been teaching myself how to do my own block prints, and i've gotten as far as carving this block how i like it, but i need an ink roller and i need paper to print on.

anybody have recommendations for either? i figure a speedball roller will be fine, but what do you typically use for paper? i'd like something kinda heavy. i've never done this before and i'm kinda just wingin' it, but i'd love to hear any tips or suggestions you all might have.

thanks!

xue/maus has some skills in this area.this wont hurt a bit...
    • CommentAuthorDana

Mayor Bonesington:hell yeah dana! i really really appreciate the advice. just to make sure i unnerstand you properly, the point of getting all the ink even on the plate is so its even on the roller, right? i'm not pressing the lino block onto the plate, i'm rolling the brayer onto the block, yes? and then its just a question of laying the paper on the block and hand pressing it, right? i guess if the ink is tacky, i don't have to worry about the paper sliding around too much. the block is only about 4x3".

i can't pick up your brayer (i'm not in boston any more), but my drummer is super good at this stuff and i can just borrow his. thanks for offering though!

i'm pretty sure i'm not gonna be home for any reasonable amount of time between now 'n saturday afternoon, but i'll post photos soon.
    yeah, even ink on the ink tray,brayer, and print plate(block) are will lead to better prints. what i was describing was even ink around the circumference of the brayer and the evenness from the left side of the roller to the right. so that when you roll the brayer over the linocut you keep everything consistent.

as for aligning the linoleum onto the paper... you can:
    1- keep the block face up like how you rolled it up and estimate the margins and just lay the paper down and press it, or(what i do usually...)
    2-lay the paper down and make like the linocut is a giant stamp and position it that way so you can see your margins all the way around then flip it back over to press. you want to be pressing directly onto the paper, not the other way aroundRecluse Designs (constantly under construction)
    Mayor Bonesington:y'know what Rob?

you put the block on the paper!

also, are you gonna around during the NACCCs? i think i'm comin' to town and i feel like i owe you a beer for some reason i can't remember.

I think you owe ME a beerTake-off everything but your rainboots
    i think i owe you a hangover, but we'll start with a beer.flip mode. flip mode is the greatest.
    Mayor Bonesington:i think i owe you a hangover, but we'll start with a beer.

Dear Dan,
    I'll hold your hands while you puke
    <3
    AlexiTake-off everything but your rainboots
    • CommentAuthordl
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2009 edited

I need someone to format and add very basic design/animation to a short (but v. v. boring) power point presentation. Could give you the simple slides tomorrow and would need to review a product on Sunday.

Can pay ~$100.

Let me know if you're interested!hates shoes
    •  
      CommentAuthorkjelgaard
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2009

I can cut pennies in half with the Cutco scissors I found on my streethttp://www.fanfiction.net/s/800170/1/EVANGELION_NEXUS
    "keel-guard":I can cut pennies in half with the Cutco scissors I found on my street

when i was a kid, my friends and i devised a contraption out of cable cutters and assorted weights for solely this purpose. finding out that it was illegal made it so much more fun.

edit: i guess that makes my skill "devising useless contraptions".
    •  
      CommentAuthorkjelgaard

living near train tracks had a very significant role in my childhood.http://www.fanfiction.net/s/800170/1/EVANGELION_NEXUS
    • CommentAuthorDana

for the people who make their own circuit boards: do you know where i can get Press-and-peel blue paper locally? i know there are ways to do toner transfers with regular paper but those methods just arent as goodRecluse Designs (constantly under construction)
    •  
      CommentAuthorkjelgaard
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2009 edited

i used to sell cutco. those scissors will cut into road signs as well.

and defacing currency is only illegal if it's done "fraudulently"DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorkjelgaard
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2009

I don't need to commit currency defacement fraud anymore, I'm set for life with these overpriced scissorshttp://www.fanfiction.net/s/800170/1/EVANGELION_NEXUS
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

Dana:for the people who make their own circuit boards: do you know where i can get Press-and-peel blue paper locally? i know there are ways to do toner transfers with regular paper but those methods just arent as good

I order all my press and peel from da internets...but I have been having some luck doing toner transfer using an iron and transparencies...not good enough for actual circuit board making, but plenty good for art projects, and with a little touching up can be used for circuit board making.this wont hurt a bit...
    I use Sharpie for my boards. No joke.
    But, PCBs are so cheap to get manufactured that It's not worth the bother to DIY (IMO).
    -b0+[all your base are belong to us]
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

^yea red sharpie paint marker works very well alsothis wont hurt a bit...
    • CommentAuthorDana

yeah i'm not using it for circuitboards but pnp is the best stuff imo and i have good luck with it. toner transfers with paper is just a pain in the ass and not worth the time with the soaking in water, scrubbing ect...ive also found that if you do use that method, freshly printed designs work much much better than old printouts. last time i did that i ended up with lots of pinholes and with pnp if something doesnt transfer you can see it when you lift it. i figured it was a long shot but i'm just impatient so local would work better but the internetz it is!Recluse Designs (constantly under construction)

gaze at the amazingness everybody!

thanks dana!somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    • CommentAuthorDana

yeah i need to not take a macbook picRecluse Designs (constantly under construction)
    daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmn, that's cool.flip mode. flip mode is the greatest.
    fucking irish...Take-off everything but your rainboots
    I have a pile of tools that I have kicking around from doing random, mostly futile work on my conversion that I can let anyone use in the Quincy area. Park BBT-22, chain tool, crank puller, the sheldon-brown-McGuyver-fixed-cup-remover, an 18" pipe wrench (which I felt absolutely ridiculous carrying on the train home from work), some other random basic shit. Common stuff, but I figure I'm out of the way enough that there might be someone passing through that may need it. I can also cook really good fried rice and stir-fried udon, vegetarian if need be. Also, I will give anyone passing through a Freezepop. Just not the red ones, because those are mine.
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2009

dana did you etch that? If so what metal and what method? (And if not can I play with your cnc machine!)

Thats mad awesome.this wont hurt a bit...
    • CommentAuthorDana

yeah i was originally going to cut there..but it would just make it weak/harder to adhere to the tubing. i tried a few different things. the salt water etch and this: http://www.instructables.com/id/Stop-using-Ferric-Chloride-etchant!--A-better-etc/

that method is good with copper and brass but holy crap, i made a piece of aluminum paper thin in under 2 minutes..insanneeee chemical mixture.. apparently those chemicals + tin foil in a closed bottle makes an amateur mailbox bomb. so i used a mason jar..uncapped. but i guess what im getting at is that it's a very even etch... the salt water made a rougher etch making more contrast. so i went with the salt water. not to mention when using copper or brass the salt water etch was much quicker.Recluse Designs (constantly under construction)
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

where do you get your aluminum sheet? and to be clear you salt water etched that?

again very nice.

Did you die the etched part or did it just come out that way?this wont hurt a bit...
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

die = dyethis wont hurt a bit...
    • CommentAuthorDana

i get everything from blick or any store like that. sorry, yeah, it was salt water etched. the rough texture it created is just how you see it, looks like a dark gray. the piece itself is mirror finish.

my test piece with the chemical etch was much smoother and even, so when i went to polish it, the etched areas came up as a polish as well, which was cool, but not the aesthetic i was going for.Recluse Designs (constantly under construction)